MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2023 :  1:57:05 PM  Show Profile
The calligraphy badge is really calling my name, so I am planning to work on this badge first. It's a bit overwhelming searching for pens and for workbooks. Has anyone completed this badge yet? What pens did you purchase? What workbook did you purchase to practice or learn to write with? Did you work more with modern calligraphy or with more of the Old English style? Any help and direction would be greatly appreciated so that I can get started on this exciting badge!

Krista

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2023 :  5:22:20 PM  Show Profile
Krista, check out Kelly Creates. https://www.kellycreates.ca/ I’m not sure if this is what you are looking for but she has great videos and tutorials. She has her own line of products as well. I have some of her paper pads because I found them at Tuesday Morning for very inexpensive. I’ve never used her pens though.

Tom Bow has brush markers that are easy to use. https://www.tombowusa.com/dual-brush-pen.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAqt-dBhBcEiwATw-ggB580e785OuY5y7UTaxeXfvz-BM1Jfzc16trSU8pKhlPwEyjj2wQ2xoCQ5oQAvD_BwE I like these markers. You can usually find them at places like Walmart or Target as well as online. They aren’t too pricy.

I have not mastered brush lettering at all, but do enjoy it. From everything I’ve read, practice is the key. My advice is to find a pen/marker that won’t break the bank, check out a book or two from the library, and print off some practice paper from a free site (Pinterest).

I hope this is remotely helpful for you. :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2023 :  08:47:54 AM  Show Profile
I don't know if they would still have it or not but a few years ago I got a kit from hobby lobby. I wanted to learn some calligraphy for making some Christmas cards. The kit came with some pens that you could change the tips and ink and a book with directions and project ideas. I'll have to see if I can find where I put it. It would be a fun badge to work on!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2023 :  04:48:12 AM  Show Profile
I haven't earned this badge yet but I did buy some supplies for it. You can find supplies at Dick Blick. They have quite a variety so you may want to look for a physical location or call them if you need some help.
https://www.dickblick.com/categories/drawing/calligraphy/

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2023 :  1:06:09 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the help!

Karen, I was looking at some Tombow brushes. I found a pack of colors that are really pretty. I plan to order them as my colored letter writing versions.

Heather, I looked at the Hobby Lobby website and the couple of kits they have didn't have the greatest reviews. Hopefully you have a different one. Have you found your set? This may be a badge we can work on together!

Thank you Andrea. I searched their website for a store near me and it says the closest one is over an hour away. I am going to look around their website.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2023 :  1:38:44 PM  Show Profile
Krista - I have a good idea where it is but haven't looked yet. I'll try and do that this week while you're waiting for your supplies to arrive. It would be a lot of fun to work on it together!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2023 :  5:03:43 PM  Show Profile
I’d love to join you girls, if you’ll have me. I have the supplies but I’m currently terrible at it! :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2023 :  2:35:35 PM  Show Profile
Would love to have you join Karen! My package arrived just about a half hour ago. I am super excited to check my supplies out tonight after I send my kids to bed! I can only imagine how terrible mine will look lol. Hopefully with us working together we can get really good at calligraphy.

Andrea, would you like to join in as well?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2023 :  5:45:47 PM  Show Profile
Yay!! Thanks, Krista! :)

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2023 :  12:11:37 PM  Show Profile
I don't have my badge book out yet, but is it a requirement to be good at it? LOL! There are some things I'm just never going to be good at - and I'm OK with that! I just hope calligraphy isn't one of them. I'm planning to get caught up on stuff through the weekend and get working on some calligraphy fun next week.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2023 :  12:20:15 PM  Show Profile
Heather, you crack me up!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2023 :  5:26:05 PM  Show Profile

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Edited by - nndairy on Jan 12 2023 5:26:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2023 :  1:29:23 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I sure hope not! It is a little challenging but so much fun. My husband was watching me write and even asked if he could have a turn! I practiced a couple different letters and tried writing my name. Right now I am thinking too much about using the correct pressure on the up and down strokes that I end up with too long or big letters that are not proportionate! I am going to practice some more tonight so I will be ready for my letter writing to you and Karen.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2023 :  5:38:41 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I will join :) I need some motivation!

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2023 :  09:40:03 AM  Show Profile
I practiced a little today. My curves need a lot of work! My O's don't look at all like they are supposed to.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2023 :  1:38:08 PM  Show Profile
I think it looks good Andrea. I will have to share a picture of my practice papers. I got side tracked with my UFO and quilling project over the weekend that I didn't practice. I made a goal to practice every day this week.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2023 :  2:24:55 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Krista. You sure are busy! I don't think I can practice every day.

Today I had lunch with my second cousin. I haven't seen her in about 20 years. Long story short, we went to her apartment and she showed me some pictures and other family items. I immediately thought of this chat and took some pictures to share.

I have no idea who Sally & Jim are, must have been friends.

Granma Steele - Best I can figure out is this was my great-great grandmother and is from 1925-1930.

Post mark 1933. A Christmas card was inside. Isn't the writing elegant?

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2023 :  6:34:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing, Andrea! “Old fashioned” handwriting was so beautiful! Old letters and cards are a treasure! :)

I will be practicing tomorrow…I hope. I needed to find the top of my desk first! Lol

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  1:33:45 PM  Show Profile
What a treasure Andrea! I remember my Grandma would sit and make "swirls" all over a piece of paper when I was younger. When I asked her about it she said she was practicing because her handwriting wasn't as good as it used to be (and that really bothered her!)

Here's my practicing:

Turns out the fat marker is easier to use than the little metal nibs!
My book has 3 more styles to try out - hopefully tonight or tomorrow. This is a lot of fun, but challenging!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  2:45:12 PM  Show Profile
Laura your letters and numbers are beautiful!

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  6:31:21 PM  Show Profile
I’ve requested the book I need from the library. Just waiting to get the notification that I can pick it up. I’m not gonna lie…I’m a little intimidated and nervous…

Edited by - Jokamartell on Jan 18 2023 6:33:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  7:00:56 PM  Show Profile
You ladies are doing great with the lettering!
My daughter has a side gig where she does a lot of lettering for events, wedding invites, etc. One thing I’ve learned from her is that each person will have their own style and flair…so don’t worry if you think you’re not doing it quite right.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2023 :  12:25:20 PM  Show Profile
Karen, I ordered my book from a discount store. None of the libraries around me had one. The tracking says it should be here tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Heather! Oh my! Your letters are gorgeous for your first time!

I have not met my goal and haven't practiced much. It does feel a bit intimidating.

Thanks for the advice Debbie. I need to remember that as I keep practicing.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2023 :  6:36:10 PM  Show Profile
Ok, girls…I have to ask…are you using the real calligraphy pen with a nib and a bottle of ink? If so, I need to do some shopping. I have pens and markers…

I got the book from the library today. So I will look at it tomorrow. :)

Edited by - Jokamartell on Jan 18 2023 6:36:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2023 :  04:04:48 AM  Show Profile
Karen, I'm using calligraphy markers for now. I have a few pen holders & nibs. I've had them for several years. If the beginner badge didn't mention the markers I wouldn't have known such a thing exists.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2023 :  10:20:19 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Andrea!! I am headed to refresh my brain on the badge information. Lol. Sorry to have wasted your time…blah

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Calligraphy Question Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page