Allison Clark
Chapter Guru / Farmgirl Guide / Sharpshooter

76 Posts

Allie
Nacona Texas
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2023 :  8:12:54 PM  Show Profile
I am finishing up the know your foods expert merit badge. I find it challenging to do the research part. But it did like what I found out about this. This is some info on the impact of the local farmers market, and food Co-op on our health. When food is produced, processed, distributed, and sold all within the same region, more money stays in the local economy. This leads to economic development and job creation. Farmers' markets provide opportunities for small farmers and businesses to sell their products, and they help meet the growing demand for locally produced food. Being able to quickly and directly market to the consumer gives farmers important income opportunities without the added costs of shipping, storage, and inventory control. Beyond the economic and business benefits, farmers' markets give communities across the country access to fresh, healthy foods, especially in urban and rural areas where shopping options may be limited. What began as a business necessity for many small farmers has evolved into a social event for entire communities, with many families and patrons viewing a trip to the Saturday morning market as the start of their social weekend. As markets grow, new features like live music, cooking demonstrations, gardening tips, and educational opportunities are added. Businesses that surround farmer's markets also benefit from the additional foot traffic that the market brings. WHAT IS REGENERATIVE AGRICULTURE?
Noble defines regenerative agriculture as, “the process of restoring degraded soils using practices based on ecological principles.” It requires managing a farm or a ranch by considering the interactions among the soil, water, plants, animals, and humans — interconnected pieces of one whole system.

The benefits of regenerative ranching include:
Increased soil organic matter and biodiversity.
Healthier and more productive soil that is drought- and flood-resilient.
Decreased use of chemical inputs and subsequent pollution.
Cleaner air and water.
Enhanced wildlife habitat.
Carbon is captured in the soil to combat climate variability.
With regenerative agriculture, producers are not just sustaining the current land resource so that it can continue to be used in the future. They are actually improving what is there, leaving it better for the next generation. I hope Y'all find this as interesting and helpful as I have.

Allison Allie Clark
Farmgirl #8292
Farmgirl Guide, Sharpshooter, Chapter Guru,
Farmgirl sister for the Month of November 2021

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1093 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1093 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2023 :  03:00:07 AM  Show Profile
Very interesting Allie, thanks for sharing.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
FGOTM August 2022
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2023 :  07:44:42 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for the information Allie. I love it when the farmgirls share their merit badge information. I learn so much from all of you. I try to buy local products at the grocery store and support our farmers market when it is operational, June-October. Living in the Midwest our farmers markets are limited to the growing season only.

Great job with your research!

Dawn in IL

The fireside is the tulip bed of a winter day.
(Persian Proverb)
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2023 :  5:24:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing, Allie!! :) I love our farmers markets!!

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2023 :  1:21:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing Allie. I have always loved our local farmers market. Great work on completing your expert level merit badge.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

GinnyBelle
True Blue Farmgirl

501 Posts

Hannah
West Lafayette IN
USA
501 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2023 :  05:48:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info and great job! I am looking forward to our Farmer's Market reopening for the season.

Hannah #6994
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2023 :  4:39:57 PM  Show Profile
Allie, thanks for sharing and it just reinforces the importance of sustainable farming for preserving the land and giving us healthier and better tasting food!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Know your foods Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page