Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2023 :  6:45:35 PM  Show Profile
I have been working on the Beginner Level of Green Energy. I found out that Southern California Edison generates electricity from natural gas, as well as nuclear, hydro, and solar facilities. The company also sources energy and local grid support from third parties. These include the California Department of Water Resources and solar plants.

I also found out that using coal and natural gas to produce energy and heat are the dirtiest forms of power production. Nuclear power is the cleanest, but the costliest method of producing power that we need. I discovered that Sustainable Energy is the cheapest form of power. The up front costs to build and run new facilities are still cheaper than the cost to keep up and run natural gas or coal burning plants. Sustainable energy is also clean energy, whereas coal and natural gas are very dirty.

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1421 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1421 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2023 :  4:06:51 PM  Show Profile
So interesting, Nancy. Thanks for sharing!

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2023 :  5:15:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Karen! Also, glad to hear that you are not "one of those"!

Nancy 8352
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2023 :  06:02:25 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the information Nancy. Here in my town the former town council had signed about 20 years ago a contract with a coal burning plant for our electricity. It was such a tight contract that they can't get out of it until it is up in a few more years. Everyone was furious when they heard what the former council had done back then and to this day. Turns out they had bought shares into the coal plant and needless to say that was quite unethical. The newly elected council said they won't renew the contract, something the plant is already demanding they do even though it doesn't end soon. Instead they plan on looking for a more Sustainable Energy source instead. I sincerely hope they do that for everyone's sake!

Dawn in IL

"Spring: a reminder of how beautiful change can truly be."
— Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2023 :  10:05:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Dawn!

Sometimes people do things that are unethical because it benefits them at the time...they don't think ahead, and the rest of us pay the price for their greed. Hopefully your town will be able to turn things around going forward to a brighter future! We need to find sustainable ways that we can all agree on or at least come to consensus over. We need to be kind to each other and do what is best for all concerned.

Nancy 8352
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6705 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6705 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2023 :  2:15:11 PM  Show Profile
Great work Nancy! Thank you for sharing.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2023 :  4:24:55 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Krista!

I found the research very interesting. I'm looking forward to working on more badges. I need to start tackling my UFO bin!

Nancy 8352
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Green Energy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page