1421 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1421 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2024 :  09:53:55 AM  Show Profile
Button! Button! Whose got the Button?

The 2024 Jubilee theme is BUTTONS!

I love finding and rescuing mason jars full of buttons at thrift stores! There is not much better than a row of jars filled with bright, vividly colored buttons! Bonus points if you have yours in rainbow order! Lol
I had a wonderful chat with Grace about the history of MJF Jubilee and the various themes over the years!
Jubilee “A special anniversary of an event”

Who better to celebrate than our Queen Bee, Mary Jane Butters? Jubilee is a time of fun and celebration from January – May (Mary Jane’s birthday month).
What can you do to join in the fun? Share, Share, Share!
Have a collection of buttons? Take a picture of your collection and post it right here on this thread. Then be sure to apply for badge number 10 in the Stitching and Crafting section, while you are at it! That’s the beginner’s level for the badge! :)

Incorporate buttons into your crafting..do you love to crochet? Add some buttons for eyes or a nose. Do you sew? Add a decorative button or two or three to your project. Are you a paper crafter, like me? Create a fun card to share, add some thread to a button and then add it to the layout of your card. There are so many fun ways buttons add flair to your creations! Heck, you can even make an entire project with buttons…Christmas ornaments, pictures, pillows, the possibilities are endless! What about making a bracelet or necklace with some favorite buttons? Yes??? Perfect…you’ve just earned yourself the intermediate level for the buttons badge! If you are more interested in learning more about the history of buttons and adding some antique ones to your collection, you are well on your way to earning the advanced level for the badge! All you have to do is share your joy with buttons via sharing pictures on this thread. Remember you will have to follow the procedures for applying for the badges as well!

If you feel so inclined to share a part of your collection with a farmgirl sister, add a few to a ziplock baggie and drop them in the mail. Farmgirl Happy Mail is the best! :)

Please share if you have a button collection, have a favorite button, or where you love to find more buttons for your collection!
I can’t wait to see what you share!
Happy Button Jubilee, Farmgirls!

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17027 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17027 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2024 :  10:06:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh Karen,,
Luv buttons!!!
I remember how MaryJane had jars of all sizes filled with buttons on the top shelf in her shop in Couer d’ Alene Idaho.

I luv your idea of sharing buttons… how fun it would be to create a custom button card, and sew 6 buttons on the card stock… (like the ones in the stores).,, and send out as farm girl mail.

I think I need to dig through my crafting card stock and create a custom button card holder…

Whoot whoot …. Let the Jubilee begin!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6450 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6450 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2024 :  10:16:04 AM  Show Profile
Oh how I love buttons a Farmgirl can never have to many! Love the theme and I can not wait to get started creating. I will take photos of my jars of buttons and post pictures later. Working on badges too so I will have to check out what I need to do for the badges!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012, February 2018, September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple, I am Old now!!

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2024 :  12:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I will take photos of all my buttons. I have a large box of buttons, and at least one jar of buttons. I love putting them on dotee dolls, small quilted project, and other things that I make. All aprons should have at least one button on them.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month
August 2015, April 2017 and June 2023

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2024 :  12:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I will think of a new swap project that will incorporate buttons.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month
August 2015, April 2017 and June 2023

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9250 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9250 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2024 :  1:53:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh Karen I love buttons. I have a huge tin started by my grandma added to by my mother and now myself. I use buttons in lots of crafting and sewing.
Will post a photo of my tin soon!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 04 2024 1:54:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6450 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6450 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2024 :  2:06:23 PM  Show Profile

Here are just a few of my jars of buttons, I have many, many more not unpacked yet. None of my buttons are passed down from family members as I had no family to get any from. All my buttons I have collected in my 50 years of marriage! I love, love buttons so I never pass up a jar when I am junking. I love stray buttons too! I have received many from my Farmgirl Sisters over the years. My most recent ones were a gift from Karen, yellows and oranges. Love them all!
Now I will leave these on my craft table for inspiration!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1421 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1421 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2024 :  2:30:37 PM  Show Profile
Debbie, I love your button collection!! I will have to take a picture of mine too!! I think the theme will be fun!! :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4912 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4912 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2024 :  6:55:28 PM  Show Profile
Karen! What a great theme! I use buttons a lot for crafts and sewing!My Granny always had jars of Buttons at her house. I love this picture of these shoes!This would be easy to do!
Connie#3392
Imagine....

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4912 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4912 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2024 :  6:56:17 PM  Show Profile
Debbie, love your Buttons!
Connie#3392
Imagine....
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1124 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1124 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2024 :  02:49:19 AM  Show Profile
Karen I love this theme and can’t wait to come up with ideas. Also looking forward to seeing everyone’s collections of buttons and will post my pics later.

Connie I love those shoes, how fun!

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
FGOTM August 2022
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9250 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9250 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2024 :  04:50:32 AM  Show Profile
Debbie what a wonderful collection of buttons!

Connie what a cute pair of shoes!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2024 :  09:08:24 AM  Show Profile
Perfect theme Karen! Just yesterday I was playing around with some pink button flowers for an upcoming issue of the magazine. Wouldn't a pair of Judy Garland shoes decked out in red buttons be amazing?!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17027 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17027 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2024 :  11:17:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh Karen,,
Luv buttons!!!
I remember how MaryJane had jars of all sizes filled with buttons on the top shelf in her shop in Couer d’ Alene Idaho.

I luv your idea of sharing buttons… how fun it would be to create a custom button card, and sew 6 buttons on the card stock… (like the ones in the stores).,, and send out as farm girl mail.

I think I need to dig through my crafting card stock and create a custom button card holder…

Whoot whoot …. Let the Jubilee begin!

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4912 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4912 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2024 :  12:44:47 PM  Show Profile
Grace, we did a vintage button card swap about 8 years ago. I still have my partner, Darlene's.

I' ll get a picture on here when I get back home.
Connie#3392
Imagine....

Edited by - Killarney on Jan 05 2024 12:46:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1124 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1124 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2024 :  2:01:08 PM  Show Profile

Here is my collection. I love pouring them into a larger bowl and running my fingers through them, to see what inspires me. The large pedestal jar was made by my sister one Christmas and filled with peppermints. When they were gone I felt it was a good jar for buttons.

Farm Girl #3677
FGOTM August 2022
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6705 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6705 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2024 :  2:47:42 PM  Show Profile
Karen, this sounds like a fun theme! I will have to go through my craft stuff and see what buttons I have and look into applying for some badges!

Krista

Edited by - MaryJanesNiece on Jan 05 2024 2:51:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2024 :  3:45:26 PM  Show Profile
Ohhh, this sounds like a really fun these this year! Yes, buttons are so interesting and there are endless uses for them too. I love seeing the jars of buttons shown here! Do you ever wonder where all these buttons came from? Like who bought them first and what was the project they were used on? Or who found these jars of random buttons and just got them for "a rainy day"? So many possibilities !!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17027 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17027 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2024 :  6:10:28 PM  Show Profile
Karen, goodness knows I have a gazillion UFO’s that I should be working on.. but nooo!, I got derailed, thanks to you! Lololol!
I decided to spend the afternoon with some of my buttons.
There are ‘sew’. Many fun crafts to do with buttons, from jewelry and shoe adornments to earrings, cards, collages and wind chimes and much more,,,
I will root around my older memory sticks to see if I can find the photo I took in the MJF shop where MJ had jars of buttons on the shelf along with her vintage hats… but first I will pour myself a glass of wine, itt going to be a long spell on the computer. :>)

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17027 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17027 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2024 :  6:14:47 PM  Show Profile
BTW, Wanda Sue… luv the cute jar that your buttons are in!

In my 2nd photo, as you can see by the price,, these are way more affordable then the price of today’s buttons.

I often source my buttons from old clothing and I have even bought old garments at the Thrifts just for the buttons!

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17027 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17027 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2024 :  6:17:33 PM  Show Profile
Maryjane,, luv the button flower idea!

Do you recall rag type dolls that had ‘button’ legs?

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6450 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6450 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2024 :  6:30:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness Connie I love your shoes. Maryjane, sweet button flower.
Well, Wanda Sue and Grace u guess I am wrong I do Not have a large collection of buttons even when I unpack the others. My gracious you girls have a lot of buttons. I love them all. I have found many buttons to hat are highly collectible and worth a bit of money but I will never sell!
Thank you all for sharing, this theme is just too fun.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1421 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1421 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2024 :  6:44:06 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Sue and Grace, amazing collections!! Love them. Wanda Sue, is that a Longaberger basket I spy in your picture? Grace, you make me giggle. lol It’s amazing the price increase on buttons! :)Mary Jane, I love the flowers!! Connie, those shoes are so fun! :)

My heart is happy that you all are enjoying the theme! :)

Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1124 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1124 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2024 :  6:47:23 PM  Show Profile
Yes Karen, that is the Longaberger button basket, it has a lid. I have a small collection of baskets too, lol.

Farm Girl #3677
FGOTM August 2022
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6450 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6450 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2024 :  7:18:26 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Sue I thought that was a Longaberger basket. I have one too, that’s right packed, LOL! I love my Longaberger BAskets.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17027 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17027 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2024 :  11:20:03 AM  Show Profile
Karen, Wanda & Debbie...
Your morning grin from a Kat...

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 2. We decree, it's Jubilee!:  Jubilee 2024 Theme Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page