Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2017 :  5:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brenda since I live alone cooking for one can be a challenge. So many of the foods I like are best cooked in big batches like spaghetti sauces - soups - curries - chili - dried beans so canning lets me cook what I like and put it up in pint jars. I know what goes into my food and I can control the fat and salt content.

I keep a spiral notebook in my pantry where I list what and how much I can; I also keep record of what I use. Over time I hope to know which foods work and which don't. Don't want to spent my money, time, and energy on something that just sits on the shelve.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2017 :  10:33:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I woke at 7 this morning so I got a late start on my canning but it was raining so the cottage was cool. I pressured canned 4 pints taco soup.

Before I first went to the cottage I put on the fall pumpkin apron Linda made me for our barter some months ago - it's my canning apron. As soon as I had it on Annie went to the back door. Raining or not she knows when I put on that apron I'm going to the cottage and she's going too.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2017 :  3:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehe, Annie has it down pat when the doors of the Yellow Cottage are opening up for the day! I love that you wear your pumpkin apron that Linda made too. It always feels so good to be wrapped in Farmgirl love!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2017 :  8:27:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with you Sara. I like being able to adjust the ingredients to fit our diets. There are two of us here. We eat a lot of left overs. I still have trouble cutting down on amounts in stews, soups, etc. Sometimes I freeze leftovers. Especially if I know I will be gone and then I have something for my DH to eat. He's good at finishing leftovers lol...

I like your idea of a notebook to keep track of your foods. Also, having and extra special apron to wear.

Still haven't thought of a good name for my craft room. It does need a name. Craft room sounds to much like crap room with is what my husband calls it. Good thing he's joking Lol. He was a big help in the redecorating and moving furniture.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread

Edited by - Lavender Rose on Aug 17 2017 8:28:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2017 :  02:55:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brenda, twenty years ago I ate leftovers - sometimes all week long but now I don't like them and they don't seem to agree with me either. I think it's an aging thing. I can remember 'the old folks' saying they didn't want left overs. If it's really good I may eat it the next day but no third day.

Brenda I can't help you much with a name for your craft room because names are so personal. Saying that I will throw out a name just for the fun of it "My (or The or Brenda's) Studio". Then you can create whatever you want to in it.

My oldest sister who is an artist has a room she calls her studio where she works with stain glass, paints with watercolors, draws with charcoal, and piddles. Piddling seems to run in my family - all of us four girls are great piddlers.

I woke at four and still piddling in the house. I need to get this show on the road and head out to the Yellow Rose Cottage to can spaghetti sauce. I made it yesterday.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2017 :  05:36:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a piddler too. And I love to piddle.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2017 :  06:11:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would add that piddling is a true art form!! LOL!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2017 :  06:19:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I managed get two meals of Shredded Salsa Beef into the freezer, a batch of Farmer's cheese made, and a gallon of goat yogurt made. Not sure how much I will do in the kitchen today.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/

Edited by - hudsonsinaf on Aug 18 2017 07:28:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2017 :  12:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn glad to know you are a fellow piddler.

Winnie you might be on to something - piddling as a art form.

Shannon you amaze me at what you accomplish in a day's time. I canned this morning, washed a sink load of dishes, and laundered the kitchen towels all before noon - haven't hit a lick since.

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2017 :  12:45:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I think you have a lot of company in the piddler department. Some just refer to it by another name .... like putsing around! lol

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2017 :  5:44:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think Shandon is a piddler...she must be super woman, as much as she gets done.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2017 :  7:37:16 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, am a piddler, but my piddling centers around sewing projects. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  03:33:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love this topic! I usually refer to it as flitting. I flit from this to that (from the kitchen, to the garden, to the sewing room...). Shannon, you must be some superwoman!

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  06:25:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie, fliting is cute. Reminds me of a butterfly fliting from flower to flower.

Carole, since I have never heard putsing pronounced out loud I might get in trouble if I tried to say it with my flat Texas prairie drawl.

No canning today - electric water bath canner is drained - pressure canner cleaned - all canning utensils & kitchen towels washed and in their baskets. The Yellow Rose Cottage has been swept - all is ready for the next thing I choose to can. I have quite a few heirloom dried beans to choose from and have been looking at bean recipes. May tackle pork n/ beans next.

Today I will be drying spearmint and rose scented geranium. Tomorrow I need to dry Mexican and Greek oreganos.

Today or tomorrow I want to start green cabbage sauerkraut.

Canning has consumed much of my time lately but I don't want to forget my other two kitchen loves drying and fermenting. All bring me joy and these days I need all the joy I can get.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  06:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
One of my family's favorite recipes is sweet kraut. It is a nice bohemian/czech dish. I wonder if it could be canned successfully? It is shredded cabbage that is cooked with sugar, vinegar, and a spice or two. My mother's recipe is a pinch of this and add this to taste. Hers always tasted the same - mine? well, that's a different story. I love traditional Czech meals - roast pork, sweet kraut, bread dumplings, etc. YUM!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  06:49:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You ladies are too funny! A super woman I am not! Not by a long stretch of the imagination! But I do have a large family I have to provide for, so when I get things done, they have to be in large numbers!!! I grew up in a larger family as well... there were five of us kids, with myself being the second oldest. My older sister is five years older, so she was off doing her own thing... and was never interested in cooking or canning, though honestly most of that I learned to do later after marriage. Anyways, I got to the point when I was younger that I made our meals... so when I got married and it was just my hubby and I, I still made enough food to feed us for a couple days plus we would invite the guys my hubby worked with over, considering they were all bachelors in the Air Force. The guys loved it! I don't know what I'm going to do when all the kids move out. I guess I have awhile to worry about that, considering as of right now we keep adding one every other year ;)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  07:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda your sauerkraut recipe can be canned. Ball Blue Book has a recipe which will take you from fermentation to the water bath canning requirements. You can adjust the seasoning to your recipe. I don't can the sauerkraut I make because I want the benefits of fermentation by eating it raw.

Their recipe calls for 20 lbs cabbage which is a lot. If it was me I would figure out how many jars I wanted and what size. Then ferment the amount of cabbage I needed to fill the jars. One small head of cabbage usually yields 1 qt fermented sauerkraut or 2 pints.

I may give your recipe a try the next time cabbage goes on sale. I would like 1/2 pints to cook with a piece of smoked link sausage. That should be enough for me for one meal. Thanks Linda for giving me the idea.

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1190 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1190 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  08:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My kitchen has been busy this week. With harvest season here, I always do a lot of prep cooking to keep in the freezer and help me have hot meals when we come in at night. This week I smoked 2 chickens, a brisket and a pork loin in the smoker. Low and slow always gives us the best meat. I shredded one chicken and packaged it in a few packages for hot dishes. The other I sliced for sandwiches. My home grown chickens were close to 8 lbs. each so this is a lot of meat. The bones went into the slow cooker for 24 hours and I pressure canned the bone broth to have on hand. The brisket And pork loin I sliced and packaged into smaller packages.Yesterday I browned 10 lbs. of hamburger, ground venison and some ground pork with a bunch of onions, grated carrots and zuchinni, portioned it into 4 cups per bag and put those in the freezer as well. Suppers will be easy and quick to pull together now. The garden is producing well and keeping us in lots of fresh veggies. My goal is always to do 52 bags of sweet corn for the year and I will finish that up today. I picked the last of it this morning. The zuchinni, cucumbers and green beans keep on giving. I am done with pickles so the extra cucumbers go to our garden share table at church, as do the green beans I will not use and the zuchinni. The tomatoes have been slow to ripen this year, only my cherry tomatoes have been ripening regularly. We have had several meals of cabbage and although I don't like sauerkraut your sweet kraut sounds good Linda. I love harvest season both in the garden and the field, although it is a very hectic time of year it is so rewarding to see our hard work pay off.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  08:39:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda I got caught up talking about fermentation but when I re-read your post I see where the shredded cabbaged is cooked with vinegar so no fermentation. It's like pickling. Found a recipe for pickled spiced red cabbage in Ball Blue Book which gives the water bath canning time for quarts at 20 minutes. You can use that time for your recipe. I checked other pickle recipes and most pints at 15 min.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  08:45:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie you posted as I was typing. You have been a busy FarmGirl. All your food prepping sounds wonderful to have on hand for suppers. Your church garden share table is a great idea. Have fun paddle boating with the grandkids.

Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  3:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie a church share table is an amazing idea. I've taken my leftovers to the local food bank but this year the garden is not giving me much more except to give to a friend in need and put up for winter. It just hasn't been a good gardening year, I suppose.

Today I canned my first batch of tomato sauce with roasted veggies. It cooked for 2 days and was so thick and rich - yummy! Now I'm being tempted by the smell of what I made for dessert - a shoofly pie - YUMMY! We're having tomato and bacon sandwiches for dinner. Tomorrow I must do something with my cucumbers and I think I may try using my dehydrator for the first time. Any ideas?

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  3:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Julie, you have been busy. Your men folk will be pleased.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1190 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1190 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  4:15:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, it is a necessity. Our harvest crew this year is my husband and I. We are in a severe drought and are cutting expenses where ever possible, so no hired help for this one. So I am in the tractor and grain cart and he is combining. We both drive the semis so we can unload all at once. So right now we are working on 600 acres of durum. We will than have a break until corn and soybeans are ready. So I do as much prep as I can, so things can be tossed in the crock pot or I can reheat with as little effort as possible. I have a few hours in the mornings to get things done while Keith services the equipment and fuels everything up, but after that I am in the field until dark.
Katie, the garden share is really great. Our church is never locked so anyone can leave their extra or pick up something they need. We have everything from flowers to eggs and as far as I know no one has ever abused it.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado

Edited by - treelady on Aug 19 2017 4:35:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  5:37:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, my grandmother would cook like that. We are unable to replicate her favourite recipes. It's close but somehow it just doesn't taste the same. It must have been the extra love she put in there.

Katie, tomatoes in the dehydrator is amazing - sun-dried tomatoes, it's one of the uses for my dehydrator. They add such a wonderful flavour to dishes without the oil. Apples are good too. You can decide on how crisp you like them.

Julie, As always, you are such a busy bee. I had no idea you were in drought mode again. Wish I could send you some of our rain. We're had such a wet summer. I'm not complaining ... just wanting to share!

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  5:52:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention that I actually cooked tonight! I know, it's been so long. I wanted to test out a recipe from King Arthur Flour - Sprouted Wheat Vanilla Chai Bars. I just love the taste of Chai. Here are my results minus everyone testing it! lol

I love my half sheet pan! So much so I bought 2 of them! lol

The recipe can be found here: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sprouted-wheat-vanilla-chai-bars-recipe

The bars are yummy but much too sweet for my taste. I would start by reducing the brown sugar by 1/2 cup! It's also too fatty for me. Next time I'm reducing the butter to 1/2 cup and see where it gets me. I didn't do the topping because I already find it too sweet. The recipe is a keeper, I just need to test it out my tweaking.

If you check out King Arthur Recipe site they do have lots of wonderful ones especially using whole grain. It was the first time I worked with Sprouted Wheat flour. It is much heavier than white flour.

Catch you all later!

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Aug 19 2017 5:55:57 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page