Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  08:22:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carol your bars look & sound tasty.

This morning I'm drying Mexican and Greek oreganos.
Started a batch of sauerkraut - qt jar. I used part of the cabbage for Cole slaw.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  10:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those bars do look tasty, Carole! But I do understand when recipes come out too sweet and you know the calorie burden is way more than you want to consume. That is the holdback for making a whole pan of something good for just two people at home.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  2:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, I love 1/2 sheet pans too. I found one at an estate sale for 25 cents. A couple of years later my hubby came in with three more. He had stopped at a huge yard sale. $2 worth. I have used them for so many different things. A whole sheet pan will not fit into a home style oven...I have one left from restaurant days.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  05:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie I wish I could send some of our rain your way. You certainly have been busy and I'll pray that you get some rain soon!

Carole, I may just have to try those bars, I love chai too. I will keep your alterations in mind, however.

Today I must blanch and freeze green beans, freeze spinach (man do we have a ton of spinach) and put on another pot of sauce. My sauce takes two days to make. I also want to try out my dehydrator. I've had the thing for 3 years (my mother-in-law gave me hers) and the only thing I've dried is rose petals. When drying herbs, do you strip the leaves off the stems first or just put them in so?

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  05:53:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie your 2 day sauce sounds yummy.

Rule of thumb on drying herbs: If leaves are little like thyme you leave them on their stems and strip when dried. Large leaves like mint are striped from their stems before drying.

I dry herbs on circles of wax paper cut to fit my dehydrator. Keeps down the mess of leaves falling through the grid of the trays. Depending on what I am drying the wax paper can be used more than once. To get the dried herbs out of the trays I dump them on to a piece of wax paper - 1'-2' - easy to use the wax paper to funnel the herbs into jars. As you dry herbs you will come up with your own way of doing things. When you do share with us.

Try drying some of your spinach to use in winter soups. Dried greens are so handy to put a couple of handfuls in a pot of soup. I dry kale; spinach; mustard, collard, & turnip greens. My favorites are kale and mustard greens.

Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  06:04:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooo, thank you, thank you, I hadn't thought of that! Maybe I could dry green beans too? Can I dry them all together?

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  06:12:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dried green beans once and didn't like them but that's my personal taste. Try a tray - cook them - and see if you like them before doing a lot of them. I always start off with small batches when trying something new.

Not sure what you are talking about drying together. Green beans and greens will take different drying times/temperatures so should be dried separately.

Greens also take different drying times - mustard takes the least and collard the most.

Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  06:37:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about herbs? Can I do mint and thyme and rosemary, lets say, at the same time?

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  06:45:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Herbs pretty much dry at the same time and temperature unless it's a thicker large leaf like comfy which takes much longer. If one tray finishes before the others you can take it out and after cooling put in jars.

I need to dry sage this morning so I better get off my laptop and get it done.

Edited to add: When a tray is removed it can be filled with other herbs/veg and put back into dehydrator. Adding a tray of fresh herbs/veg will not effect the other trays.

Edited by - YellowRose on Aug 21 2017 06:48:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  06:47:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL, me too! Thank you for your insight and have a great day!

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  06:43:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have 4 pints of Christmas Lima beans in pressure canner. Cooking what didn't go into the jars on stove. Will have for lunch and a serving for tomorrow. Beans I don't mind eating the next day.

It's 83 with humidity of 80 already this morning. We haven't had 100s this summer but with the hi humidity it will feel like 105 by day's end.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  10:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yummmmm, I do love lima beans but have never heard of Christmas Limas. Are they red and green skinned?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  10:55:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, it's a large brownish swirled colored Lima bean originally from Peru now grown in USA. It's one of my favorite heirloom beans. The on-line site says one of it's uses is in curries. The next order of beans I will get a pound to make curry. Shipping is the same whether I order 1 or 6 lbs so I always wait to order when I'm ready for 6 different beans.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2017 :  11:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bought a pkg of 8 chicken thighs in the marked down bin for $2.50. I brined them in salt water and now they are on the stove making broth. I hope to pressure can the broth in the morning after defatting. I added carrot, celery, onion, and herbs from my garden - bay leave, thyme, rosemary and winter savory. Should be a tasty broth.

Years ago a butcher told me to always brine chicken to help rid it of the additives - been brining ever since. Some chicken seems to need it more than others. Does anyone else brine their chicken before cooking?

Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2017 :  3:34:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never heard of that, Sara. It makes sense though. I think I may have to try it. How does it affect the taste?

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2017 :  4:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie brining for meat is salted water - the ratio I used today was a scant 1/4 cup of kosher salt to a bowl of water big enough to cover the 8 thighs by an inch.

After brining for 30 min I rinsed the thighs real good removing most of the salt. The thighs will have some salt so I used 1/4 tsp of salt when cooking the broth.

The chicken today was Pilgrim's Pride so I could have gotten by without brining but since I will be canning the broth I wanted to make it as good as I could. I also used spring water for the broth for the same reason.

Hatch mild peppers were on sale so I bought enough for one batch of pickled peppers. Hope to get to them Fri or Sat.

Have baby spinach and kale to dry. The baby spinach was in marked down bin 1/2 off. Both will be used for beans and soups.

Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  04:14:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Sara, sounds easy enough. I've never canned anything but fruit and veggies, so broth and meats scare me a little. I do have a pressure cooker and I really should use it! Could I use bone in leg quarters? I got a huge deal on them at our local restaurant supply store; beautiful meat $.49/lb. Trick was, I had to buy 40#, LOL.

I have a pot of sauce on cooking down and I will start another today. I won't have enough tomatoes to do anything except sauce. Except, I did freeze some yellow tomatoes that I plan on making salsa with.

I also have green beans to blanch and spinach to freeze.

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  04:51:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie, the thighs I used had bones and skin - I think you need both for really good broth/stock. Backs, necks, wings also are good to use. My sister makes her broth from the caucus of a whole roasted or baked chicken. She cooks it all day in her slow cooker. I don't cook whole chickens so I buy the cheapest pieces - yesterday it was thighs.

You can cook your broth in a pressure cooker but you need a pressure canner to can low acid foods like broth and meat. My 10 qt pressure canner is also a pressure cooker. It's the only one Fagor makes that cooks and cans. I have been happy with my canner and have not used it as a cooker.

Have 2 qts and one pint of broth in the pressure canner. Broth maybe the only thing I will ever put up in qts.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2017 :  04:16:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sliced the Hatch peppers yesterday to can this morning but I woke to MS fatigue so canning is out but drying is in. After drying I will ground peppers in blender. The powder will come in handy for rubs and other recipes.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2017 :  05:44:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Data do you coast your hatch peppers?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2017 :  06:12:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn I didn't. Now that you mentioned it roasting would have added another layer of flavor. Maybe next time.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2017 :  08:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sara, your energy and canning ideas amaze me. Keep it up, lady!

I wish I had a garden for fresh produce. My son has one and I get a little that they don't use for a family of 5. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2017 :  3:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm freezing more spinach today, blanching more green beans, and I have one heck of a pot of tomatoes cooking down (day 1). I cook my tomatoes for 2 days and the sauce get nice and rich. I'm fit to be tied because I have 5 eggplant and my FIL doesn't like it so my plan to do eggplant parm is out. I also have 5 zucchini. That I'll shred or quarter and freeze. Ok, off to freeze my spinach.

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2017 :  5:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My neighbor sometimes puts things out on her sidewalk to give a way and yesterday I found a brand new spiral veggie slicer out there. It will make strings out of Zucchini for spaghetti and curly frys and other kinds of things. I will try it soon. It has three slicer blades with it and brand new. I will let you know how it works later. Neat.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2017 :  5:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Darlene, I think you'll love it! I love mine. Please let us know how you like it.

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page