Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2018 :  6:26:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful Winnie!! Love those!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2018 :  07:16:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I actually made my own glaze from sugar, water, fresh orange juice and zest that was heated and then thickened with cornstarch. I had forgotten to buy the jelly like the recipe called for. I think you could use any jelly that matched your fruit. If I had remembered, I would hav bought strawberry jelly since I planned on using fresh strawberries.

The pizza was indeed a hit and not one piece was left! We all managed to eat before a nasty thunder storm hit and sent everyone scurrying back home. it was one doozy of a storm too with lightening and heavy downpours!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2018 :  07:22:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie it's always a good thing to carry a empty dish home.

Drying yellow onions this morning.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  03:58:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drying more yellow onions today. Annie and I made a mad dash in the rain to my Yellow Rose Cottage to put a batch in the dehydrator. Okay, maybe not a mad dash - more like a hurried careful stride. This morning I'm loving the sound of rolling thunder and falling rain.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9201 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9201 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  04:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like it was a good day for doing in the kitchen things. I used up the last of some ham I had in the freezer and made soup. Seemed to be a good dish for the cooler temps. It was only 60 here on Sunday.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  04:29:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soup is always good. Think I will make up a small pot of summer soup today. In the summer I make soup with a lighter broth and fewer veggies. So good with 1/2 of a sandwich.

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  4:56:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie your fruit pizza looks delish!

Connie, Lily June looks adorable! They do grow up so quickly, my baby turned 21 yesterday! I'm still in shock! lol

I haven't been cooking much. I did buy myself a tofu press and wondered how I lived so long without one. I love tofu! I've been looking into buying a 7 quart enamel cast iron pot but am wondering how useful it would be. They are so darn big and heavy! I do like to make a big batch of soup and freeze it. The 6 quart is barely able to hold everything in. Still thinking about it. I love kitchen ware and look for any excuse to buy! lol I am staying away from Le Creuset. I understand that they are La creme de la creme, but I'm not paying $400 for one pot! Not yet anyway!

This coming Saturday I'm treating myself to a class at the King Arthur Baking School (https://www.kingarthurflour.com/). I just love that place. They have a huge kitchen store. I could spend the day there. Oh, let's not forget the great food court too! Home made bread and pastry! Yummy. It's close to a three (3) hour drive south east from my house in Vermont. The class I'm taking is Pasta 101. As most of you know, I love making homemade pasta and thought this was a great opportunity to take a class from pros. There's so much I want to learn. So I'm looking forward to some down time, relaxing, eating and being educated!

Catch you all later! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2018 :  07:22:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I am trying Connie's slow cooker rib recipe but using porkchops instead. They were on sale for $1.29 a lb so porkchops it is.

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2018 :  09:31:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, great idea! I gotta try porkchops!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2018 :  11:26:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie the porkchops were falling apart delish. Shared with my neighbor. Poured up the liquid; will skip off fat in the morning to use to season a jar of my home canned beans.

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2018 :  12:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara , your making my mouth water!! Don't you just love how the crock pot does not HEAT up the Kitchen!! Yay!!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2018 :  07:38:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harvested the thyme in container along sidewalk to front porch. Drying it now. I cut it down to little over an inch from bottom. Will grow but I will not harvest it again until next summer. Thyme is one of the herbs that will winter over in my part of Texas.

Tomorrow I will harvest the spearmint the same way but unlike thyme I will get one or two more harvests before I cut it back for the winter.

I could harvest the two sage plants but I don't like dried sage except in cornbread dressing so I will harvest and dry them in the fall. I also use dried sage in medicinal tea for colds. I use fresh sage enough that the plants stay a manageable size for their containers.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9201 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9201 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2018 :  07:55:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I have to hand it to you, you give us some great ideas! I would never have thought to save the stuff from the pork chops to use in beans. Thanks for that tip!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2018 :  12:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GRRRRRRRRRR!!! Saturday, I went out and picked a bucket of ripe wild plums from my daughter's tree on her farm. Wild Plum jelly is very popular here in the South and for the past few years, storms and drought have not allowed us to harvest enough to make jelly. This year looked to be a bonanza! I cooked and processed the fruit to get about 13 cups total of liquid to make jelly. The past few years, I have always used MaryJane's ChillOver powder and had perfect results. One reason I love it is that you can use less sugar at times and get more fruit flavor and not just sweet. I should have used 6 cups of sugar , but after 5 cups, it tasted sweet enough. Then I added the ChillOver powder as directed for 12 cups. I canned as usual, but this morning it was not set up at ALL!!! Waaaaaaaa!! Frantically, I looked up why jelly won't set up and found that if you don't use the correct amount of sugar per measured volume amount OR not enough of the pectin for the volume, the jelly won't set up. One article also said you should not process more than 8 cups at one time and I had about 12 1/2 cups. Lessons learned. I followed what to try again, but right now, it still looks very loose and usually, you get to see it firming up by now. Phooey!! My daughter is going to get the big ladder out and hopefully tomorrow evening we can collect enough to make it all over again. This has been my first jelly failure ever!! The existing un-jelled product is delicious and I think I will freeze some to use in cobblers instead of other liquids. But there is way too much to keep because I would have to making cobblers every few days for the rest of the Summer to use it all up! Don't you just hate it when you spend an entire afternoon making jelly(this recipe is time consuming due to the steps)and then have it flop? LOL!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2018 :  05:54:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie sorry I overlooked your post about your wild plum jelly not setting up. Been there and it's no fun to put all that work into it and it not set up. Hopefully your next batch will be okay. There's nothing better than wild plum jelly with buttered toast.

Canning four pints chicken broth this morning. It's a cool 70 so it's nice to be in my Yellow Rose Cottage. I laid dried pennyroyal all around and so far no sign of ants. Annie makes her rounds of the backyard and checks in on me from time to time. Feels good to be canning again.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2018 :  09:49:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning to remade my plum jelly starting with another fresh batch from my daughter's tree. This time I measured every ounce of liquid and sugar per the pectin directions. I kept a small amount out to see what happens and so far I think it will set as it is supposed to do. Here is hoping my new 6 jars will be correct and we can enjoy this hard to come by jelly.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2018 :  4:46:11 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sara is such a wealth of cooking and growing info. Thanks Sara.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9201 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9201 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2018 :  7:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
I have that happen and I have used it for syrup over pancakes, ice cream and the like.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2018 :  05:22:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning pressure canning four pints organic red kidney beans. Tomorrow beef broth. My sister found a pkg of sliced shin bones in marked down bin for $1 so she got them for me. Always have carrots, celery, and onions on hand so the shin bone broth cooked overnight in slow cooker. Can in the morning. I'm only good for one batch of anything a day.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2018 :  10:42:02 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for your jelly not setting, Winnie. It is amazing what little differences can make that happen. I hope your new batch jells correctly. Have fun eating the other on ice cream and other goodies.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9201 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9201 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2018 :  09:08:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, Were you able to do the first batch over again? My mom always did that when it wouldn't set. She just used more pectin and it would set up nice. Just boileded it up and added the pectin. I always loved her blackberry jam. We would pick every blackberry we could find so she would make it. Now I know how much work that was for her but she did it every year.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2018 :  06:17:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I picked a new batch of plums and started all over again. When I tried to fix the first batch according to the directions on the pectin package, it still failed to set up. The say that if you follow the directions on the pectin package and it still fails, then it won't work and you have to start over. So start over is what I did but this new batch worked out fine and I am glad to have some. My daughter had the same thing happen with her first batch of jelly and she had to start over again and she added double what was suggested to remake before it would actually jell correctly. Maybe it has something to do this year with the fruit?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9201 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9201 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2018 :  06:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could be anything Winnie. Even the weather affects things like that.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9201 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9201 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  06:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JT brought home 20 lbs of fresh blueberries yesterday so today I have been washing and packing them for the freezer. So good to snack on in the heat as well as making goodies in the winter.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  07:00:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise happy blueberry freezing.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page