Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2021 :  12:18:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been too hot here to do much in the kitchen. Actually, that's not quite true. Our a/c is in the kitchen and it's too cold blowing oil me when I'm in there. DH is quite handy in the kitchen so he's been doing a lot of cooking lately. Kitchen storage is important here too. When I designed the kitchen remodel 15 years ago I included so much storage that there is no room for a table and almost forgot to allow for the fridge.
I haven't made pita in a long time. I used a pizza stone. I read somewhere that it is best to cook them on the bottom of the oven but never tried it. That would have required cleaning the oven.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2021 :  4:23:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made an apple crisp tonight with the last two Wolf River apples and a couple of Ginger Golds. Delicious!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9287 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9287 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2021 :  08:41:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith,
When we looked at the house they had a small table and chairs in the kitchen. But the dining room is right next to the kitchen so we knew we wouldn't use a set in the kitchen. I am planning squeeze in as much storage as I can. I have the things like my canning supplies and dehydrator in the basement storage room. I just hope we can find the granite counter top to match what we have. I don't know how old it is so we will have to see. She did leave a sample so we will take it to see if it can be matched. I am definitely putting a Lazy-Susan in the bottom corner cabinet. We have a corner cabinet next to the sink but it has a small door and so we cannot access the space in the corner. I have a few glass pans under there and the toaster on the shelf. It's all I can use there because I wouldn't be able to reach anything else. I want to make sure to put drawers in also. We will probably put in wall cabinets also to expand the storage. I hope we can get it done quickly now that the boxes are gone from unpacking everything is out that was in the Hoosier.

Winnie,
That sounds very tasty! We love apple crisp. Sort of like apple pie without the crust.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2021 :  11:42:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise -- I put in a turntable in the corner cabinet and it is wonderful. I have all the baking pans, frypans, teakettle, etc. there. It makes what was formerly wasted space so much more usable. I also had pull-out shelves in another cabinet where we put anything with an electric cord -- waffle maker, blender, food processor, etc.. Makes it much easier on the back.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9287 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9287 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2021 :  11:57:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've thought about roll out shelves. We can only fit two 30" cabinets on either side of the corner one. That's why I want to put in a few top cabinets also. One of the lower cabinets will have drawers.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2021 :  2:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I had put pull out shelves on all the lower cabinets. So much easier to find things and much easier on the back and neck. The only problem is when something falls down behind then you have to fish it out but that only happens if you have something small and lightweight on top of something else; In my case it's the box grater on top of the waffle maker. Someday I will put it somewhere else so that doesn't happen. Then I will forget where it is.....

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2021 :  07:57:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kitchen shelving is always hard to get just right, I find. Things are too high, too low, too far back etc. The past 3 years, I have downsized everything in my kitchen to just what I use and need on a regular basis. That helped me consolidate space for better use, and get rid of items I rarely used. My kitchen is small and the storage space is limited. It has been a good decision for me because all those items for large crowds just don't exist anymore. I do confess to having way too many mugs because I collect seasonal ones and rotate them all through the year. I know, I know, it is a sickness!! LOL!!! However, they are centrally located in a hutch and I did reduce the number some...well just a little.LOL!!! Fun coffee mugs just make my day start with a smile so I figure they do a good thing. I also found that gadgets were actually a waste of space because I rarely used them. Now I have simplified my cookware and everything prepared is in one of those things and it works just as well as the gadgets. As you know from some previous posts, I spent a lot of time this summer reading about the history of American kitchens and focused on kitchens from 1900s to 1960. In those years, kitchens were much more utilitarian, but they were able to feed large crowds. I am not going to be feeding large crowds these days, so I decided to aim for the only needed and useful goal. I like the end result so far and there is a bit more work to do. I have this image of my Grandmother's Farmhouse kitchen which had a black iron wood stove, a Hoosier cabinet, some shelves it a pantry, and a true icebox that was dependent on a block of ice. These memories of her cooking meals when we visited her have stuck in my brain. With no running water or indoor plumbing, cooking for a big family everyday depended on organization, careful use of resources brought into the kitchen(water and wood) and no kitchen cabinets like we have today, good things happened with no conveniences. As the youngest of the summer crowd, and Grandma's last little one to enjoy, I followed her around "to help", and memories and mental pictures were burned into my brain for the first 6 years of my life. Those mental images have driven me these last few years to reconsider everything I had amassed over the years and give it a critical eye. Would Grandma have used that or just think it was not necessary? Many things immediately went into the "not necessary" pile. The interesting thing is that I haven't missed any of them either! Now I am more or less left with what I assume would be "Grandma approved"kitchen needs. I know Grandma would shake her head and laugh at my grinning pumpkin mug, apple mug, Christmas mugs(plural), Easter mugs, American mugs.............It is embarrassing as I type/!! LOL!!! So, things that happen in kitchens seems to always be active and usually very productive for everyone involved. Anyone else on a remake of what and how you supply your kitchen for the routine tasks that you do?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9287 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9287 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2021 :  12:40:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
I think I will be looking in my Betty Crocker cookbook to see what was suggested for the kitchen way back when. Then I can get rid of a lot. I will still use the cabinets to store the foodstuffs so the kitchen will be more manageable. There is a lot I have but never use. Will be good to downsize more before we put the new cabinets in.

We decided to go with unfinished and to paint them and the existing ones. The ones that are here are custom cabinets and it will take way too long for any new ones of those to arrive so we are doing this instead. Not sure what color I will use yet. Needs to go with the black granite. Counter top will have to be ordered because I do want that to match.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2021 :  1:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really should purge the kitchen items of all the things that were used for the big family gatherings that aren't going to happen anymore. All the various cake and pie pans, the giant lasagna pan, the non-electric pressure cooker. One cupboard holds soap making supplies but I'm only making soap for ten now instead of 26. All the cookie cutters, a couple were my grandmothers who died before I was born and I seldom make cookies anymore, the grandkids are grown and gone and I'm diabetic. Stoneware dishes service for 12 with oodles of serving pieces never used anymore. Way too much stuff.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4646 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4646 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2021 :  4:36:27 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in agreement with all of you on purging. I need to do that, too.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2021 :  5:20:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I just bought some things for my pressure pot...such as strainers, an extra liner pot, egg cups, etc. Perhaps I need to purge too. I have several sets of Wilt on wedding cake pans, etc.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2021 :  7:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm afraid if I get rid of the wedding cake pans then someone will want to get married, although it seems that most of the younger set isn't bothering with that. Shoot -- I'll get rid of them anyway; let someone else make the cake for a change :-). I want to find a new home for my KitchenAide mixer anyway as it seems the only time I use it is to make tons of frosting for wedding cakes or large batches of chili rellenos and I no longer need to make large batches of anything.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2021 :  9:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, when Bay and T got married, they had one of the twins make the cake which 2as small and naked. Then she also made so many cup cakes...different kinds.
The cake had two layers and a crumb coat, with something on top, my kitchen aid mixer has not beaten a thing all year. But since it was a gift from hubby...I can't gift it or sell it.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2021 :  10:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last time I used my Kitchen Aide was in June 2014 for Dad's 100th birthday party. He loved my chili rellenos; we had a Mexican theme for his party as that was his favorite food. It is very handy when you have to beat stiff a couple of dozen egg whites. I haven't used it since. I always beat cakes and other baked goods by hand and when the two of us want chili rellenos or whipped cream my good old fashioned egg beater works just fine. Fortunately I bought it myself so it won't hurt anyone's feelings if I get rid of it.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9287 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9287 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2021 :  04:38:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
I understand. It was hard for me to let the Hoosier go because JT had it made for me in Lancaster County but he also realized it was too big for the kitchen and we needed more storage than it gave. He feels like once someone gives it to you it yours to do what you want with it. I am a bit more sentimental so it wasn't as easy for me.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2021 :  07:58:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish my husband could be less rigid. But he is too old to change...unless God changes him.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2021 :  06:07:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh, I am interested in all these comments about what to do with kitchen appliances and gadgets that we have found ourselves with some 30+ years later. I was able to sell my hand crank grain grinder and big mixer online for a fair price several years ago when I first started. I hear that some folks have a lot of success with FaceBook and other social media options. Selling online can be a lot of trouble and it really boils down to if you want to go to the trouble of doing that or just give it to a charity who can sell it and use the money for a good cause that you believe in. One theme I think we all seem to share is that it is unlikely that we will need or even want to use much of what we used to do when we were younger. Another topic we have discussed here is that the younger generation have no interest in doing a lot of the cooking that our generation did. They are much more focused on new and different priorities and spending a lot of time in the kitchen isn’t something they want to do. They are also not interested in all those fancy dishes and serving pieces either. I got rid of all of mine because my own kids are clear about the fact that they don’t want them and have no interest in doing much cooking let alone formal entertaining. Things have just changed and many are working full time because it takes two income these days for young people to get just the basics. For me, I felt burdened down by all these crowded cabinets and drawers in my kitchen. I love to cook and enjoy doing it, but it is everyday meals for two and no big event kind of cooking has happened in the last decade. Since my kitchen is small, I finally came to the understanding that the solution was to downsize by getting rid of unnecessary appliances etc. As I pared down, I reorganized what went where so that it all became more easy to reach. Another big purge was in the spice department. I looked up online how long spices are good for. Many of mine I had no idea they were and some I had only used once. I devised a new spice holder from an idea I saw in Country Sampler magazine. With some vintage wooded cheese boxes and new jars from Amazon, I now have all my regular needs neatly along the wall where I have counter space that I use to prep with. I do keep a few spices that I rarely use in a small plastic tray in the cabinet above. I also dated each bottle so now know if the spice is even usable. In this process, I have learned that I really don’t want to have to care for all of the unused stuff I have accumulated. That includes clothing , utility closets, linen closets etc., hubby’s paint can storage(!!!!!!) and other old tools and garden stuff that was rusted and piled in out carport storage areas. I have hauled more than one carload of stuff out to the big recycle locations for big stuff and metal junk and those gaziillion cords that come with every phone, TV, or other media purchase. I mean who can use 5 old TV remotes from past TVs?? Hubby is one to say, well keep it , but after a few years, I send it to the recycle place for all that stuff. We have never ever used any of these old remotes or cords. Never ever!! And they take up a lot of space somewhere. Besides, many cords are specific to one device and when you get rid of it or trade up, the old cord won’t work for the new device. Crazy!! The kitchen changes have lead to many other necessary clean-ups for me. And it all feels like positive and useful projects! I still have work to do, but now I have a better plan in my head of how to tackle and what I want to do with the stuff. It helps to have a plan that starts with the end goal and work back to the start so you always know where you are headed. It makes it all so much easier to do and then the results feel more rewarding and even fun.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Sep 20 2021 06:11:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2021 :  09:06:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason I have kept the cake pans...I remember being about 32 when my sister introduced me to cake decorating. She gave me a box of tips and some of her best recipes and hints for frosting. The kids are still too young...but now that there is a little guy...His mommy may decide to bake a cake. Also I could ask the twin if she could use some of them...
Besides, if you never make a cake, your child never gets to lick the.beaters or the bowl.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Sep 20 2021 09:07:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2021 :  09:08:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also those pan sets are not in my kitchen or my utility room.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9287 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9287 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2021 :  09:31:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, thanks for sharing. It really helps me ,remember my craft closet cleanout?,to hear what other find to have helped them. We are going today to get the other cabinets. Some of them that don't have to be ordered and I will be doing a mass cleanout of many things from my kitchen and pantry. I have a small closet for a pantry and I know there is a better way to configure that for use. I just have to figure out what it is for us. Right now it is wire shelves. I don't like them but only because they don't hold my OXO containers well. Most of those will probably end up in the kitchen anyway. I think one side of the kitchen will be for dishes and such and the other for food. Then I may be able to use the pantry for something else.I already have a closet for cleaning sullied so I may use it for paper products or something.
Now there are only two of us we definitely don't need everything. I will keep my wheat grinder and my mixer I use for making my homemade bread. I prefer to grind it fresh each time.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2021 :  11:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started the kitchen purge yesterday. Duplicate ring mold, bundt, springform, angel cake pans into the box, along with five small bread pans, six pie plates and the pressure cooker. It's a beginning. Last month I got rid of a whole box of those miscellaneous electronic cords that seem to breed.

I envy people with big pantries. Mine is three feet wide, five feet high. Then there are the three boxes under the bed for canned goods. I finally made use of that wasted space.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9287 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9287 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2021 :  12:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith I definitely miss my big pantry but we put the freezer in the garage and the smaller fridge in the basement. Good place for it as it houses extra veggies and fruit as well as soft drinks.

Just got back from picking up 6 of the 9 cabinets. We will wait until we get the base cabinets in before we order the countertop. We have 2 more of those to come in and 3 for the wall. I bought stain to try to see if we can match the old ones. Hoping it does. 8 don't really want to paint all of them.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 20 2021 12:43:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2021 :  06:23:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I hope you found the cabinets you want and need to create your idea of working kitchen in your new home. Cabinets are a lot of work to select, get installed and paint if you need to. I don’t envy you with that project!I do remember the challenge of your craft closet too. I know that sometimes I get stuck on a solution and plan of attack. It helps me to hear from others what worked for them. We all have different needs but at the same time, we share many basic needs. Suggestions make it easier for me to get thinking in a different direction. Sometimes it is a matter of thinking about doing a chore in a different way that I have never considered or even tried.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9287 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9287 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2021 :  06:38:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the stain didn't match so we are prepping the old cabinets for paint. I found a color I believe will work. After babysitting I will go home and finish prepping. JT is off tomorrow so we will start the painting then. The new cabinets won't be as much work. I will post photos when it is finished.

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 23 2021 06:40:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2021 :  11:36:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck Denise and I hope this project all works out to be something you like. Home projects can seem to drag out at times and that alone is frustrating.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page