True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2020 :  11:02:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, I remember the clothing rules.
No wool sweaters worn with cotton skirts.
No white shoes after labor day. Etc.
We did not begin school of until after Labor day either...it was still hot, but soon it became more tolerable.
I lived in Snyder. There were over 100 oil drilling rigs surrounding the town. I remember we had been somewhere, and we're on our way home, daddy was driving, we three sleepy heads in the back seat. Suddenly daddy was stopping the big rounded car, as mother excitedly called us each by name. Wake up, look, WAKE UP! L O O K! It was so bright and actually pretty. She said it looked like Christmas, and it did we were ten miles away from town. The closer we got the brighter it seemed.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2020 :  1:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww Marilyn, what a sweet story! I always think of that movie Giant with Elizabeth Taylor when you write about the Oil Rigs!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2020 :  2:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks Connie, the movie Giant! That was a good one.
The land is so flat out there, driving home from a football game...you could see headlights for miles in front of us and behind us too. Just like a long, long curvy snake.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2020 :  6:51:14 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Growing up in Illinois we never started school until the day after Labor Day, so the schools starting that day now seems normal to me. And we went until almost the middle of June.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2020 :  7:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We started the Tuesday after Labor Day and went to school for a day or two until California Admission Day on Sept 9. Mom always said she wished they would start after both the holidays and simplify things. We were out for the summer at the end of the second week in June; just in time for Dad's birthday and Fathers Day. We got the week between Christmas and New Years off and also the week before Easter. That has all changed now. It seems every school district has it's own rules.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2020 :  7:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Texas we started around the first of september. We had two weeks at Christmas and Good Friday off at Easter. We never ever went to school in June!
When I began to teach it was the same way. Then the men grouched about having to start back after watching all of the bowl games on new years day. They felt that they needed a recuperation day! So the women said, 'ok, but we need a day to prepare for thanksgiving, to bake etc.
They also needed a spring break.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2020 :  8:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I married a teacher also and his school started before labor day but actual school started the day after. August is just stinkin' hot in Minnesota. By September it is a mix of cooler and hot. October is fabulous with all the maples turning gorgeous colors but we could have snow the end of October.
Marlee, I will pray for you about your knee surgery. You will feel better and a walker will help.
Linda. I sympathize. I have had 5 rotator cuff surgeries. Painful but it does get better. Prayers for you too.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9199 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9199 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2020 :  05:39:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had another storm go through but it was more of your typical summer storm. Having company this coming week so getting the guest room ready. Seems time went quickly between kid's rooms and having guest rooms now.
Winnie, you are right, the job and move could be an adventure!
Bonnie, good to see you!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2020 :  6:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
For any of you with granddaughters or young daughters Ed and I found a great series on Netflix - The Worst Witch - a good show for kids. It is about a girl who goes to a school for witches and all the adventures that happen to her there. Ed and I enjoyed it. We watched all of the first three seasons of it and now have to wait for Netflix to release season 4.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2020 :  6:54:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That show sounds kind of Harry Potterish. I'll look for it; I've missed Harry Potter.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2020 :  7:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Judith, it is kinda like the Harry Potter for girls witch school. LOL! That's what I thought, too.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9199 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9199 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2020 :  06:39:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here we are almost halfway through August. Time seems to speed by me anymore. I am thinking I may move on to the front bedroom and do some painting. We have some much white paint in different shades, antique, country and just white that I was thinking I may mix them all together and see what I get. I know it would be enough to paint the room with two coats! At least I wouldn't waste any of the paint that way. It will have to be primed as the bottom half of the wall my kids painted dark blue. Then I think I will be done painting for a while. LOL.
We are back to having hot days. Not what I thought August would be like but one can hope. My bil is here for a visit. Nephew was supposed to come along also but he ended up having to work so couldn't make it.

I hope the gals with very hot weather are keeping cool and finding things to do inside. The hot weather makes me kind of lethargic. I really need a place to live where it is Spring and Fall year round.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9199 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9199 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2020 :  06:02:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today has a fall-ish feel to it. Though it is in the 70s and overcast. I have been working on some fall things so that may be helping with the mindset here. Either way it is a happy thought for me.

It is getting close to the anniversary of my mom's passing. The anniversary of dad's just passed and it's been good to have my brother in law here sharing memories.

We've have had some things going on that have been difficult and I will be happy to have this month over with soon.

I hope things are going well with everyone. Thinking of Linda and Darlene and their surgeries.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 13 2020 06:03:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2020 :  06:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I mix paint too. The results are great. Do I say "Go For It!"

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2020 :  06:43:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise on the subject of our parents r 7passing...My daddy died on October 11th 1970. Myd son was 6 so I was 26. That was hard.
My mother died October 5, 1997. Bay was only 4 months old. I was 54.
Now My mother's birthday was October 6, daddy's was October 27th and mine is October 7th. So October is my big Month.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 13 2020 06:45:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9199 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9199 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2020 :  2:10:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
I hasn't seemed to get easier when the anniversaries roll around. Mom's is coming up on the 19th and it is always so hard for me. I need to find something positive to do to help me celebrate her life on that day. SHe was a good mother and my best friend.

October 6th was my parents wedding anniversary.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2020 :  4:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, on Bay's first birthday, we had a big party. We had lots of people in this small home...but we had beautiful yard so we planned to have everyone out side.
Seems that God had other plans...because a huge storm was gathering. I was busy getting things ready for the grill so my hubby could cook the hot dogs out on the porch for everyone. Suddenly my son rushed in and said "Mom this storm has hail in it. You need to move your new car." So out I went following him. We drove down to the horse barn, where we pulled the new car into the entry alley. ..It had a cement floor. Then we got out so we could see better. No sooner than we were situated the storm hit. It had it all. Big winds,rain and hail the size of big marbles and golf balls. When you are in a metal rooted structure...It was really loud.

There was a song out at that time. It was something about holes in the floor of heaven and the rain kept pouring down. Well that was what I thought of as we waited for the storm to end about thirty to forty minutes later! I remember telling my son that the storm was my mother, who was up in heaven, and so angry that she could not come to her sweet great grand baby's first birthday party! We have never had such an experience since. (Funny thing...my mother never got mad, angry.)
But that might she was angry!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 14 2020 4:37:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1190 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1190 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2020 :  07:51:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any news on the new job or moving yet Linda? School starts next Thursday here. We are lucky to have such a small school and lots of room for the kids to spread out. I know my grands are excited to be back in the classroom and to see thier friends. I am not sure what the game plan is if the virus starts going around, but our school board is very pro active and I am sure they have a plan in place already. We start wheat harvest this week so need to spend the weekend catching up with house, garden and lawn chores.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2020 :  08:01:24 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Julie - I think you meant Denise on the new job and moving.

Sxhools are starting here but mostly online to start. Several schools have cases of COVID among teachers of custodial staff already. I'm afraid numbers of cases will spike up after school starts.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9199 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9199 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2020 :  10:15:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, no news on the job yet. They say they want to fill immediately but could be 2 months with them. We are continuing to move in the direction of moving but need to find a job there also. So it's sort of hurry up and wait. Lol.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1190 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1190 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2020 :  07:38:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda you are absolutely right, I meant to write Denise and I was thinking of you and needing to get your birthday package out. Thanks for catching that and Denise, thanks for knowing it was you I was asking. I just hate the hurry up and wait mode, makes me kind of cranky not knowing the future but I am not known for having a lot of patience anyway sometimes. Just came in from feeding Spud (this years butcher steer) and it is going to be one of those perfect carefree summer days that are fading rather fast in my world, so I think I am going to kidnap the 4 grandkids and go on an adventure. Not sure I can convince grandpa to go with us, he is getting equipment ready for harvest but we will try. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Max Lucado

Edited by - treelady on Aug 16 2020 07:39:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9199 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9199 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2020 :  09:10:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds like a beautiful way to spend a beautiful summer day Julie! We are having rain today so not much is getting done in the way of spending time outside. JT has to do a few things to get the work truck running and ready for tomorrow.
Do you only butcher one steer a year for your own use Julie?

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2020 :  6:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Where r u thinking of moving, Denise? Somewhere between you and the grands?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1190 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1190 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2020 :  8:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We actually only take 1/2 a steer for the year. The other half goes to family members. With the huge farm to table movement going on right now getting a butcher date at our local meat locker is really hard. We have a butcher date for pigs in late October, but can't get spud in until February.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2020 :  8:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could y'all, with the help of family who enjoy the benefits, do it yourselves? People process deer themselves.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Arrival of August 2020 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page