Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9228 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9228 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2020 :  05:40:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,
Thinking closer to the Ohio grands, yes.

Marilyn,
We have butchered our own deer before but it is a huge job. I can't imagine doing a steer.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1191 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1191 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2020 :  05:57:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have done our own before Marilyn, however we don't have a walk in cooler to hang it and meat needs to age. The last one we did was a cow that had broken her leg to high up for the vet to do anything, so we just made hamburger out of her. Believe me a large cow produces a lot of hamburger. Our butchering equipment is not big enough to cut all the steaks and roasts from a steer, we only process our own deer and occasionally a pig if we don't want hams or bacon and of course the butcher chickens.. Have you ever processed a beef yourself Marilyn? It is a huge job and meat is much to expensive to make mistakes on. A goosd butcher is worth the wait.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2020 :  11:45:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok ladies I was just curious. I've seen a huge hog hoisted up to a sturdy tree limb at my Grandma's house. They had a smoke house...that was when I was a kid. I've helped my hubby do deer. I was seeking knowledge...just in case.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9228 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9228 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2020 :  5:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This reminds of a story of my dad. When we first moved to Jersey JT was an avid hunter. My mom and dad had come for a visit and while they were here JT got a deer. My dad was so happy and decided we should butcher the deer. Ugh! So we did. We had never done it before. Btw, they were only staying for a week. So mom and dad helped to cut it up, grind some, and showed me how to can it. My dad says to JT after it was all done that if he got another one they would stay another week, well guess what? He got another and we went through the same things again. My dad being the smarty he was told JT if he got another they would stay a third week. He really didn't know how good a hunter JT was and so they ended up staying with us three weeks. We had 3 deer in the freezer and on the shelves that year. We packed a big cooler with frozen deer meat and sent them home with a full cooler and 10 qt jars of meat. They gave my brother 1 qt and my sister 1 qt. My sister's family didn't like deer meat so she took it back to them but she told me my parents acted like it was pure gold in those jars. I told her I didn't know about that but since dad didn't hunt anymore I know they were glad to have it. I sure miss those days. We had a great time with them that year. I have a scar on my thumb where I got it caught in the grinder. All my dad could say was it's a hand grinder not a HAND grinder. Thanks for letting me share that wonderful memory of good times with my people.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2020 :  5:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I loved your story. I know of a lady, who left. Her first hubby because he loved to hunt,But had a bad habit of skinning and butchering the deer he killed on the dining table and the living room floor. I was told that the floor was cement...but she was so grossed out...and became tired of the mess each year.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9228 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9228 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2020 :  03:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ew, that is kind of gross. Don't think I'd like that. We always let it hang first and butchered outside. It's been quite awhile since we have gotten a deer. Sure miss that.
We bought a side of beef from a farmer local to us. It was so tough and I was surprised because his are all grass fed. He took it to an Amish guy in Lancaster to get it butchered. Sometimes it takes a long time because the butcher's are so busy. The first time we ever bought a side like that we bought it from a young boy who raised one for 4H and then sold the meat. His father said after he got paid he told his dad he was going to do that every year. That was many years ago and I don't know if that's what he did or not.

We lost 2 of our hens Sunday night which left us two. We took them to the neighbor as he has a few chickens and some ducks. JT thinks a cat got them. We have a few that hang out in the woods. They aren't tame at all. Couldn't get them over the fence so killed them in the yard. So now we are done with them until we move at least. We will tear down the coop and get it cleaned up back there. Will seem strange not to have them. We've had chickens for the last 20 some years.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 18 2020 03:34:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1191 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1191 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2020 :  05:43:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry about your chickens Denise. I sure would miss mine if I lost them.pure Grass fed beef usually is tougher. We grassfeed ours to a certain size and than finish with corn. Makes for a nice marbling in the steak and is super tender. We love to make venison sausage, I have a kitchen in the basement I use for butchering and canning so everything is contained to that room. Keeps the mess out of the main kitchen.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3457 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3457 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2020 :  11:03:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, what a sad ending to your 20 years of enjoying chickens and home grown eggs. Those darn pests!!

I can't imagine butchering anything as I did not grow up with it even though both parents were raised on farms and knew how to do it. Honestly, I think it would make me a vegetarian because I just couldn't kill the thing. I was a nurse for 34 years and not sure why butchering food would be so frightful to me. But it is. Now, I am great at "butchering apples and peaches" to make a pie!! LOL!! Does that count??

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9228 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9228 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2020 :  5:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, that must be why that meat was tough.

Winnie, we butchered a lot of chickens when I was growing up. When we did the deer it sort of turned me off to meat for awhile seeing all that raw but I got used it and was grateful for the blessing of it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2020 :  6:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When my husband hears of. someone selling grass fed beef...his standard comment is, "it will be tough as boot leather."
Marbeling is the key to tender meat. That is why I will spend the money it us and buy a rib eye about once a month. If it is a nice cut about 1" thick it is enough to feed is both.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 18 2020 6:16:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9228 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9228 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2020 :  06:03:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had heard meat with marbling was good but did not know grass fed without finishing made for tougher meat.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9228 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9228 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2020 :  11:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well girls we only have 10 more days left in this month. Where does the time go? I have to say I am looking forward to fall but all of the seasons have their good points. September here can still be a lot like August in the weather. I don't know how you gals do it that have those hot temperatures for so much of the year.
I guess I'll always be a cold weather girl at heart.
I do look forward to all the fun things a new month brings. So many swaps on the main forum. It's a fun way to get to know other farmgirls.
Well, just thought I'd pop in. I imagine Debbie and Julie are busy getting things harvested on their farms. Very thankful for our farmers!
I haven't done much this year in the way of canning. With just the two of us here we have been sharing a lot of things we get like peaches, blueberries etc. with my daughter and her family. I know they are appreciative of it too!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3457 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3457 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2020 :  5:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just posted the information on the main Forum about our upcoming September Apple Festival and my annual Apple Swap. August is about over and it is time to move on to fall fun. I am so weary of hot and humid everyday!! The next week has 70-80% chance of rain every day!!! If you check out the weather.com site, there are two tropical storms that look to be headed our way over the next week and could be an issue for Florida. Tis that time of year when things start getting churned up in the warmer waters of the Atlantic.

On Wednesday, I stumbled upon the Ginger Gold Apples in our local grocery store. Apparently, this store has ordered them from independent orchards along the east coast. Ginger Golds are a summer apple that grows from north Georgia all the way to New England. They ripen down here first. Ginger Gold is a green tart apple but it starts to sweeten if you let it sit out until the skin begins to blush yellow. They are mostly used for applesauce making. But today, I made them into an apple pie and it turned out delicious. I don't know how long they will be kept in stock but it was such a wonderful surprise to find this past week.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9228 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9228 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2020 :  04:49:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
Always look forward to the Annual Apple festival. I haven't been over to the market to see which apples are in but planned to pick up some peaches so I will be checking on the apple varieties available. I so look forward to this upcoming season! August is going out in a fever here with a few hot days coming up the last week.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2643 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2643 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2020 :  08:17:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just getting caught up here!
Denise, I loved your deer butchering story! We always cut up our own deer, elk, etc. I had never done anything like that before we got married but I quickly learned how. I remember cutting and wrapping a deer the night before I went in for a scheduled c section with my daughter...ugh! But I guess it was better to get it done before I had a new baby in the house. Brad is cutting up an antelope this morning. He decided to work on it in the shop and not the kitchen table, thank goodness! And, I am sorry about your chickens. I know that you will miss them.
Winnie, I would rather butcher apples and peaches than meat!
We have had HOT temps the past couple of weeks but you can still feel the change in the air...I am SO excited! It gives me a boost to get through the heat of the day, just knowing that fall is just around the corner. We also have quite a few wildfires surrounding us. When the wind isn't blowing, we can see their progress. They are about 20-25 miles as the crow flies so we aren't in danger. The air quality is just poor. Very typical for us in August.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9228 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9228 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2020 :  10:14:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stopped at the orchard today and they still had peaches and I asked what they had for apples. He told me Ginger Gold was all that is in right now, so I got some peaches and apples. Not sure what I am going to do with them yet. I know I am going to eat one of each with my lunch today!
The peaches are huge. I hope they are sweet because sometimes them leave them because people think bigger is better but with peaches if they get too big they can be bland. I guess I will see.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6001 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6001 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2020 :  10:50:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was lucky recently and found some big nectarines and peaches at Safeway!
They were all juicy and tasty even though they felt hard.

It was yummy! I like the honey crisp apples the best.

take care.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9228 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9228 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2020 :  1:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, Honeycrisp are really good but I pretty much like all apples. LOL!

These Ginger Gold are so good. I didn't get to try one of the peaches because they are still too hard. Guess they will have to set a day or two.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2020 :  12:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
August is when I renew my MJF membership. Got it in the mail today! Next year will be 10 years for me!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9228 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9228 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2020 :  1:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, happy farm girl anniversary!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4643 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4643 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2020 :  2:57:49 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I believe I usually renew in August, too. Sometimes late, sometimes on time. LOL! Brian is good about letting me know.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2020 :  7:57:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian hasn't let me know yet. I've been in MJF a long time. My number is 298. Something happened this week that got me to thinking. A number pf weeks ago we bought a crate of peaches at Costco. Yesterday we bought more. In the afternoon I got a call letting me know that the first peaches possibly had salmonella. I think they did because both hubby and me had light symptoms for two weeks. We took the ones we bought yesterday back to the store for a refund. I'm really sad because those peaches were really delicious.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9228 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9228 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2020 :  04:24:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie, so sorry to hear that. Hope your feeling better.
I've been around the farm since before they started membership. I think it's been close to 14 years now. Have seen many girls come and go. The forum has always been very active. Glad it's still going strong.

This last week of August is something else. It is supposed to be quite warm. Our a.c. gave it up yesterday and we need to get it replaced. The company that looked at it can't get to it until next week.
We are going to call around and see what other reliable brands there are available. This company uses Carrier brand.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 26 2020 04:31:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2020 :  10:20:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Denise!
Bonnie. so sorry to hear that! Hope you and Hubby are feeling better!
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4643 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4643 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2020 :  1:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So sorry, Bonnie. I had just heard about peaches having Salmonella. So sorry you and your husband were affected. Hope you feel better soon.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Arrival of August 2020 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page