Patty MorningRamble
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Patty
Keene TX
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  07:59:42 AM  Show Profile
My homemade soap shaved into powder and a bit of borax added in is so much cheaper to use than store bought. I will post my lye soap recipe later today. All I purchase is the lye, the beef tallow is free from a local butcher. I washed clothes for our 4 farm children using this soap and at when they were small and getting pretty dirty, we were part of a new to this area plain community which put on us an added pressure of having our appearance very noticable and we wanted to make a good impression, so clean clothes were then and stil are very important

http://morningramble.blogspot.com/
http://morningramblegifts.com/
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  09:14:14 AM  Show Profile
Wooliespinner-go to tipnut.com has liquid recipes.

Its cheaply done I think, you have to do the work to make it. Also on tipnut.com has spot remover recipes, etc. too. So far I been happy but I only been doing this for a couple of weeks.

debinmtns farmgirl #63
Have a Thankfulness Gratitude Attitude.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  3:13:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks a bunch for the info!! I am going to make a batch tonight since I have a ton of clothes backed up.Thanks for the recipe Alee !! I have been super sick the past week and today I finally feel a little better. So I need to start getting caught up on a few things.... barns,chicken coup, house......omg and getting ready for x-mas. Its snuck up on me while I have been sick.

I think I am going to add some essential oils to the batch to make it smell extra good. I have quite a bit of them that I use to make goat milk soap with. I am impressed it only takes about a tablespoon for each load.......that is amazing. We have really hard water here so I made have to experiment and add more....will have to wait and see. I will definitely go to the tipnut.com website debinmtns and check that out. Sounds like a really neat site. Once again thanks for all the info. I am going to get going for now have.... to eat dinner and start making the laundry soap.
Wooliespinner

Each day is precious...take a few of those minutes for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  9:13:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We have incredibly hard water here as well- the baking soda, and borax all work to soften the water to help the soap and washing soda work.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Nora has me wrapped around her little finger!
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  06:19:33 AM  Show Profile
Well I washed five loads last night with the new soap mixture. I think the homemade works really well. I think the clothes were softer and .......well they just felt better to the touch. I liked it very well. I have one load of whites to do today before I tackle and wrap up things for christmas. But I am curious to see how it works on them. Our socks get pretty bad doing chores when its muddy at the barn. We had over an inch of rain last night and it somehow always leaks into my shoes. Well take care everyone.
wooliespinner

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9269 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9269 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  6:56:35 PM  Show Profile
I make my own laundry soap from borax and baking soda. That's it. I mix twice as much baking soda as borax, mix it in a big pail and use about an 1/8 cup per load. The clothes comes out nice and bright and smell wonderfully fresh. I figure there is no point in adding more than I need too.

"She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9269 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9269 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2008 :  7:56:55 PM  Show Profile
Just wondering if anyone who is using baking soda or borax in your laundry had ever heard that borax is bad for the septic system. We just had the guy out here to pump ours and he said that the borax does not really dissolve and it causes problems. I thought I was doing a good thing by switching to this solution.

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2008 :  8:43:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Denise- Your septic tank guy might be a bit mis-informed. Here are a few sites worth reading about Septic Tanks and Borax:

http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/water/az1160/
http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/watermgt/Wqp/WQP_WM/FACTS/pa1608.htm
http://www.ahc.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=815

Those are just a few sites I found off google, but they all recommend using borax instead of other harsher and toxic chemicals.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog: http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2008 :  8:44:15 PM  Show Profile
Levisgrammy I think a good way to see if this is really true is take a small amount of your laundry mixture or just the borax and mix it in warm water and see if it dissolves. I am going to try this when I log off. That way we can see if this is really true.
I had my clothes washer after 23 or so years finally gave its final clean load of laundry before going down for the count. It had started to rust and leak slowly and finally a big hole opened up and thats when I found all the water on the floor. I was sad because that old whirlpool only needed repaired 2 times and both were minor repairs and we did it ourselves. What a washer !!! I looked at new ones since my laundry was building up quick. Bought a front loader and am learning how to use it.I got another whirlpool and hope to have the same great results. They say I have to use HE detergent. I know the stuff I have from shakely is okay but I had made the new laundry detergent with the grated soap,borax,washingsoda .........I wonder if its safe to use in these machines. They say it had to be low sudsing or it will mess up the washer and sensors. Any of you ladies have a HE (high efficiency washer) and have used the homemade. I went ahead and used the shakely because I knew it was safe but would like to use my homemade. I got brave and later tried half and half. I think it worked okay but don't want to mess up this washer. They sure have went up in cost since we bought one years ago. It about made me sick. Hopefully with all the water saving and energy saving and being able to do big loads it will off set the cost over the years. Anyway I guess I have rambled enough about that. Well need to go out and check the "girls" (nubian goats) and give them a little extra hay. Its really cold out tonight and want to make sure the door is closed and latched. Hope everyone had a great New Year !!! Take care.
Wooliespinner

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2008 :  10:30:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have read a few sites that say it is okay. I know it doesn't produce many suds at all, but I think you have to use your own judgement since you had to pay the bill!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog: http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  3:49:08 PM  Show Profile
I found a website that says its okay for HE washers and also another one who sells the soaps to make your own homemade if you can't find it at the stores. Its a realy cool website !!!
Its called www.soapsgonebuy.com.
If you click on the home tonics, remedies and laundry detergents it will give you different recipes and info. Its really neat.Time for dinner.......gotta run.
wooliespinner

Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  4:15:54 PM  Show Profile
I've got a HE washer and have always used my home-made laundry soap with no problem. We also have a septic system and haven't heard anything about the home-made stuff being bad. I then use white vinegar in the rinse. Just remember that it's not the soap bubbles that clean the clothes, it's the soap mixture itself. I know that the HE machines are must more expensive than a smaller regular machine, but I feel better about using less electricty and water. I can do one big load of clothes compared to possibly having to do two or three in a regular machine and using more water to boot.

I used the soapsgoneby web-site to order the Arm and Hammer Washing Soda since I can't find it any where in the area I live in. They were really good about sending it out ASAP. Then my daughter in Fargo/Moorehead found it up here, so she brought down six boxes. I also showed her how to make the home-made laundry detergent too. She loved it. She has a small HE machine herself.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9269 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9269 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  5:37:36 PM  Show Profile
My husband says he doesn't think that my homemade is a problem. We did find there was a lot of grease in the tank. Have to make sure no one is dumping any type of that down it. Hot running water or not. We had never had our tank done in the 7 years we've been here. Just not something we think about,it was actually full so that was big bucks this time around.
We are going to try and be better about it. The guy told us there is a flat rate for up to 1,000 gallons so no matter if you have 200 or 1000 it's the same price. Seems to me we'd want to wait and get the best deal since it's something we have to have done.
Thanks for the websites. I knew you girls would know the scoop onwhether or not he knew what he was talking about.

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  04:49:17 AM  Show Profile
This thread has been very informative. I've been considering taking the challenge to make my own for one of the "merit badges". I don't think it'll be too hard of a switch. I already add borax and washing soda to the commercial detergent because our well water is so hard. I also rinse with vinegar. So, I'm half way there and going all the way today!

Blessings
Catherine
Farmgirl Sister #76

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  11:23:29 AM  Show Profile
Is it my imagination or do clothes come out cleaner/brighter using the homemade? Also a friend of mine has used this in HE for a very long time, with no ill affects

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  5:00:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls! I would like to try and make my own laundry soap. Is there a thread with recipes? If you have one and you wouldn't mind sharing, you could email me if you would like or post it here! Thanks Bunches!!!!!

Hugs, Maryjane Lee
Farmgirl Sister #44

The Beehive Cottage~est. 1971
Sisters on the Fly #595
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17061 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17061 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  2:45:40 PM  Show Profile
hey maryjane,,, 2pp....
I too am going to try this....I noticed on page 1 + 2 acouple of different variations(recipes) for the home made laundry soap.
I am so glad to see the posts regarding, hard water, septic tanks and the new front load 'he' type washers.
We bought new a washer & dryer rather then hauling our 10 year old ones from CA. to WA.
I am going over to YOKES Market tomorrow to buy 1 box each of the borax, baking soda & castille soap.
wish me luck. hmmm, I think I will put a small amount in a plastic container to take with me on the SOTF trips in case I need to hand wash some clothes.
later gater,

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Jan 23 2008 2:47:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  2:54:20 PM  Show Profile
Hey Gracie! Good luck! Let me know what recipe you use and how it turns out. I know, this thread is great! I need to get a good wooden drying rack. Counting the days until I see you in June!!!

Hugs, Maryjane Lee
Farmgirl Sister #44

Sisters on the Fly #595
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17061 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17061 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  8:21:26 PM  Show Profile
Maryjane, count the weeks instead, it will seem shorter..
Is Anne back from her most recent trip? My but she is quit the little globe trotter...
I am just a little 'trailer trotter' lol!
hugz

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Jan 23 2008 8:22:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  9:20:46 PM  Show Profile
Katmom, sent you an email. Did you make your soap yet?!!!

Hugs, Maryjane Lee
Farmgirl Sister #44

Sisters on the Fly #595
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  11:05:26 AM  Show Profile
Laundry soap making ladies, I've got a question for you. I seem to be having an issue with grating the soap and knowing what consistancy it should be. I've bought homemade laundry soap before and could not tell the difference between the soap and the borax or washing powder but I can't seem to get my soap to that point. I've tried grating it with a fine cheese grater, letting it dry and then powdering it by hand...didn't work. This last time I tried grating it again, letting it dry and then powdering it in a small food processor...didn't work.

I'm really not sure what to try now so if any of you have any suggestions I am really open to them because I'm at a loss. And really, for me it doesn't matter if I can see the small soap pieces but I'd like to try making this to sell in a local shop and I don't know that most people would really like that look (I know some wouldn't care but there are others out there that like that uniform look).

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MereOnceMoore
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Meredith
IL
33 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  11:59:53 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE YOU LADIES!!!

I've never even thought about making my own laundry soap, but holy cow it's a whole new area to dabble in!!!

But wait, I have a front loader that requires liquid detergent. Boo...think I could use liquid castile soap? Trader Joe's has a wonderful peppermint smelling castile that would be heavenly on one's clothing.

Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  4:20:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Meredith- The homemade laundry detergent can be made as a liquid or a powder. Just click on "Search" in the upper right hand corner and search under "Cleaning up" for "Laundry Detergent" and you will find lots of old chat topics about this! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  2:16:12 PM  Show Profile
Alee,
I'm going to try your recipe for laundry detergent next time. What I have used doesn't seem to be working. I'm using twice the amount called for. My whites & light colors are dingy. But my darks need to be doubled rinsed. Any helpful suggestions? I noticed that you use a full box of borax, washing soda, and baking soda. Plus a little less soap. I'm using 1/2c.borax,washing soda, baking soda, and 1 bar soap.

Thanks,

Erin
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  2:43:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
OK, dumb question here...what is washing soda? I've never heard of it!

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Made my 1st Laundry soap Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page