Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  5:37:57 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Lend a Hand to Families Merit Badge!

“When my daughter in law was expecting my second grandson, she had a pregnancy scare with early labor. While she was in the hospital getting that under control, I stayed home with her toddler at home and while she was gone, cleaned her house from top to bottom and did all of her ironing. I know if I had been sick, it would be such a blessing to come home to a house where everything had been done and I could just recuperate in peace!

I enjoyed getting to take care of my oldest grandbaby and loved getting things in order for her. The look on her face when she came home told me how much she appreciated everything!
Between then and the baby actually arriving, I made a freezer shelf full of meals for them so she could just pull something out and they'd have a hot meal when things got really busy when baby came home. I also brought them food when they came home from the hospital to have fresh. I loved doing this! It wasn't even work for me and they appreciated it so much.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  5:41:27 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I hadn't really given much thought to the health and beauty products that I use.

I decided to do some research into cruelty free products and found some websites where you can find your brands easily and see where they rank with what is out there for purchase.

I found that the 2 product lines that I use are actually ok....no parabens, sulfates, preservatives, talc, oil, waxes, fragrances or chemicals. I had tried another that was supposed to be better on the "organic chain", but wasn't super impressed with it.

I decided to try a homemade deodorant. I thought if it would pass my farmer husband test, it was a keeper....and it worked great!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  5:44:36 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Action Merit Badge!

“For the past decade, we have been seeing a huge decline in the state of our county fair. It used to be a big deal...and a lot of fun...to have entries in the fair...both open class and commercial. Each year, it seems to get worse...and less and less involvement. It's at the point where we need to get serious about doing something or we may not have a fair at all in a few years!

There was a lot of community grumbling last summer and I decided to attend the monthly fair board meeting. I knew there would be a packed house with a lot of people there to voice their concerns and frustrations.

Although the fair board are responsible for some of the goings on, they are only volunteers and it is also the responsibility of the fairgrounds director to keep things running smoothly. We are going to need more volunteer help!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  5:47:50 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“I decided to keep a record of how much tv was being watched during the week. As it is just my husband and I most of the time, I didn't really think we had the tv on much but I was curious.

I found that the tv was on about 15 hours that week...about 2 hours a day. It's usually not on during the day unless I am in my sewing room and want to listen to something while I am sewing. My husband has some favorite shows that are on the DVR and he enjoys watching in the evening...unless he falls asleep in his chair!
My grandkids like to watch movies and cartoons on and off during the day and I encourage them to leave the tv off while they are here and to just play instead. I don't think anyone needs the extra background noise!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  5:49:26 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“My husband and I thought it would be fun to take the 2 older grandsons to the High Desert Museum for the afternoon!

We all had a fun time! They were able to learn about the animals and reptiles in our high desert area and enjoyed watching the otters swim around. Of course, the Dairy Queen on the way home was a big hit!

We live in an area that is famous for it's outdoor lifestyle. Hiking, rock climbing (I think I will pass on this one), skiing, fishing, hunting, etc.

I think it would be fun to take the little boys this summer on a short "hike" to the canyon rim and "explore". We could also go to one of our ponds and use their fishing poles. We also want to have a camp out on the island when they are a bit older. We have a small boat we can paddle across to the island....cook our dinner on a small fire...and sleep in a tent!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  1:12:07 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I have continued learning and using a new word for the next 2 weeks following the first 2 weeks for the beginner badge. I have also been posting to the chat room on a weekly basis since last summer. I just finished reading Woe is I by Patricia O'Conner.

It's always fun to use and learn new words! The book was a good refresher for me...it reminded me of all of those hours spent in English class in middle school!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  1:17:31 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Klann (debbieklann, #770) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I have continued to learn and use a new work each day for the 2 weeks following my intermediate badge requirement. My farmgirl chapter is now working on their beginner badge and posting daily online and I am following along with their own daily words. I also read the book, Eats, Shoots and Leaves.

I had emailed Brian about posting to my farmgirl chapter about the importance of precise communication and syntax instead of writing to our local editor. I have posted in our farmgirl grammar thread today!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  1:22:51 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Food Allergy Awareness Merit Badge!

“As stated in my Beginner level application there are not any known food allergies in my family aside from my husband’s spring season allergies and some related sensitivity dairy products which is temporary.

However, the alterations that we make to recipes during this season would include the reduction of or elimination of dairy products from recipes and meals we prepare.
-We use more yogurt because it seems to be less of an allergen for him.
-We eliminate ice cream from dessert options.
-We reduce the use of butter and milk
-Because of its known antihistamine qualities we use local honey.
-He has found the consumption of nettle tea to be helpful and uses it frequently.

There is not a lot of noticeable change in recipes, however we do get a craving for a dish of ice cream after a while.

Not because of allergies, but because of need for dietary changes I use less whole wheat in my baking. I make my own bread and use oat bran and organic oat flour to replace most of the other flour. I like the oat bread, but I like the taste of the bread that has a bit more whole wheat in it better.

To further help in reducing exposure to allergens for my husband during the spring season, I don’t hang his clothes, towels, washcloths, hankies or pillowcases outside to dry. I either use the dryer or hang them on a drying rack in the house. I’m glad the season is short because we really like our clothes dried in the fresh, clean Colorado mountain air.

I’m grateful that there are no major food allergies in our family and that the seasonal allergies are short-lived. We do try to be aware of anything that could exacerbate any allergies or sensitivities for any family member or someone visiting and make necessary adjustments to recipes and/or environment.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  1:25:24 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Food Allergy Awareness Merit Badge!

“In referring to the Beginner and Intermediate level applications for this badge, there are no major food allergies in my family. My husband has spring season allergies and is sensitive to dairy products at that time, but this is all temporary. And there is only the two of us so we don’t have to make too many adjustments to any habits or recipes.

However, for this season, we do eat like we BOTH have the sensitivity to dairy products. It’s pretty simple and easy to do to just avoid certain things for the time. I, personally, don’t really notice the difference. Because his sensitivity to dairy products isn’t severe we don’t have to be seriously watchful of the food items with any “hidden” dairy in them.

We are always glad to see the end of the spring seasonal allergies for him so that he can not be sneezing, coughing and blowing his nose. We are also glad to be able to enjoy one of our favorite treats, a bowl of special ice cream!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  2:11:38 PM  Show Profile
Suzy Rhoades (disTizmoi, #6922) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“Quite by accident my husband and I started collecting Cast Iron Statues of Nipper. Nipper is the dog in the painting call “His Master’s Voice”. Several Recording Studio’s used the image for their “dog and gramophone” logo. I just thought of the dog as the RCA dog. What started the collection was a pair of cast iron bookends that I bought at a flea market with just Nipper cocking his head. We bought them to hold up our record albums. I thought that was very appropriate!

They look so cute holding up our albums. Can't wait to find more!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  2:15:51 PM  Show Profile
Suzy Rhoades (disTizmoi, #6922) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Collect It! Merit Badge!

“What I did to earn the badge: My husband and I started collecting cast iron statues of Nipper. We added a cast iron coin bank of Nipper (the RCA Dog) in front of the gramophone. I found it at a flea market. Had to buy it! I’ve done some research on Nipper. He is a real dog who lived from 1884 until 1895 in Bristol, England. He was mixed Terrier breed. He was called Nipper because he would bite the backs of visitor’s legs!

I paid $17 for my prize piece. Found one on E-Bay going for $74.99! How awesome is that? He is sitting on our fireplace mantle.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  2:20:13 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“Eating from the putter portions of the store has been most interesting and fun! Guess it just makes sense to enjoy the shopping experience! Choosing organic foods has been interesting also. I tried organic foods as required! They are good but my palate may not be able to tell the subtle differences! I have enjoyed the salads very much! I even found organic cinnamon! There are a lot of choices to choose from!

I enjoyed the organics but I still have difficulty telling the differences between them and regular veggies! I'll still keep trying!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  2:24:22 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“After reading the information from www.eatwild.com and www.maryjanesfarm.org/ieatmeat.asp I do understand the difference between grass fed cattle and commercially raised beef! I was really saddened to discover the fed patterns of the commercially raised beef! I have actually seen a couple of the "feed lots" and have always wondered about the feeding program! Now that I have more information, I will definitely be buying grass fed beef!

I will be extra careful about my purchases! I am now reading the labels more closely and will be choosing grass fed only! I am saddened by the conditions of the commercially raised beef!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  2:36:10 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“After searching the National Archives I found several other ancestors sites and more information there! Most of the sites give you a little information and then want you to subscribe to them. I was able to find more information but it was difficult for me. I have also located more sites that I can access for even more information.

I've learned a lot but there is more to be found. It's a fun thing to do. I can even envision finding more about other branches of my family. The search goes on!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  2:38:55 PM  Show Profile
Wanda Byford (wbyford, #6867) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“Learning the proper method for sharpening my knives has been good for my knives! The oil and stones are easy to use but the most interesting thing is to have patience to do it properly! You must not hurry through this job!

I now have a sharp knife for each need! Life is much easier when you learn to do things for yourself!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  2:44:51 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have a collection of reuseable shopping bags, which I keep in my car. I have regular bags, cooler bags, and 1 bag that folds out into a rigid box.

But one of my favorite bags are these little fruit shaped ones. They fold up small enough to fit into a purse or pocket. I have given these little fruit shaped bags as Christmas presents. I've included a picture of the bags, which I found online.

The hardest part is remembering to grab them before you go into the store! If I forget my bags, and have to get the plastic ones, I always recycle them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  2:49:25 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level UFO's Merit Badge!

“I went around the house and gathered up all of my UFOs. I had so many that I had to designate a basket, to be the 'Mother Ship'. Luckily, I always buy the needed supplies at the time, so they were put with the UFOs.

I chose to finish 8 chicken pot holders, for a friend. Normally I sell these on my Etsy shop, but I often give them to my friends, when they ask for them.

Finding all of the UFOs was difficult, and sometimes required me to dig for them. But it's nice to have them labeled and in one place. I know I put a half apron in the UFO box, so maybe I'll go after my apron merit badge soon.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  3:06:28 PM  Show Profile
Cyrie Wilson (Pixiedustdevil, #6941) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“I have first aid kits in my car, kitchen, bathroom, and bug-out bag. If I buy a pre-packed kit, I always add to it and put a list of items with the kit, so I don't have to guess what's in it.

One of my bug-out bag kits is made from a tool box. It has everything you could need, even a stethoscope for some reason.

The hard part is remembering to keep your kits stocked up. Also keeping track of expiration dates.

I recently had to use the one in my car. I had a guest in my car, and she just started bleeding from her hand. So I patched her up.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  3:10:44 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I just started on my third year volunteering at The Elms in Newport, Rhode Island. I am a garden volunteer and I love doing it. I weed, I trim the plants, and I clean everything up in the garden to make it look nice for the tourist. I also love knowing that I am helping keep the original owners, The Berwinds, legacy alive.

I love helping out in the gardens even though there have been some people, who when they find out I am only a volunteer, look at me very strangely. It's almost as if they are thinking: Why are you doing this if you are not getting paid for it? I do it because I love to give back and I want to keep Newport's history alive and well for future generations.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  3:16:17 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (Aussie Chick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“We attached a 4 minute timer to our shower to limit showering time and conserve water. These timers were distributed to households from our local council.

We have been renovating our laundry, so I have been collected gray water from the washing machine in buckets and using it to water my garden.

Our household relies completely on rainwater, so limiting the showers has helped to conserve our tank water. I have been collecting 5 buckets/load of gray water from the washing machine which equates to approx 80 liters per week that I am able to use to water the garden. This is 80L of rainwater that I am saving each week.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  3:28:04 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (Aussie Chick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“Our household relies completely on rain water. We live in a rural area that is not connected to town water, so we have 2 rainwater tanks for all household water use. We also collect gray water where possible. At present, I have been collecting gray water from the washing machine in buckets to water my garden. Remaining gray water is collected in a concrete holding tank, then exists via a poly pipe to our yard. We can move the pipe around and it waters the yard.

We encounter a lot of dry weather here in Queensland, Australia, so it is very important to constantly conserve water. Our rain water tanks can run dry during the winter months, so we have had a water diviner locate a spot on our property for bore water. We are saving the funds necessary to have a bore and windmill installed. This will then be our back-up supply in the event that our tanks run dry.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  3:29:46 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (Aussie Chick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We don't have curbside recycling or rubbish collection in our rural area. Instead, we have a local transfer station where local residents can take their waste for free. Our transfer station recycles cardboard, green waste, metal, batteries and motor oil.

The green waste from our transfer station is turned into mulch on a regular basis and residents in our local area can collect the mulch free of charge to use on their gardens. I have collected 3 trailer loads for my garden.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  3:32:35 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (Aussie Chick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“We have used part of an old chain wire fence and 2 old timber posts that were on our property when we moved here to create a garden trellis for a passion fruit vine.

The passion fruit vine is thriving and now we are in the process of creating our vegetable garden which will incorporate the trellis as one side of the garden fence.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  3:34:57 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (Aussie Chick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“We are in the process of renovating our 1930s "Queenslander" house. I have completed painting the dining room and lounge room, using "Napkin White" for the ceiling and "Highgate" pale blue for the walls. The walls and ceiling are made from tongue and groove timber.

The colours have added so much more light to the rooms and they complement the polished timber floors beautifully. We are going to use the same colour in the sleep-out.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2016 :  3:15:14 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Epperson (BellaSticks, #6762) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“On 3/20/16 I got 4 large reusable shopping bags and 6 reusable produce bags and committed to only using these bags when shopping. As of today I have not used any disposable bags from shopping trips in 30 days.

I'm really proud of myself and have been watching my stack of plastic shopping bags decline over the past 4 weeks.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page