Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  12:11:02 PM  Show Profile
Michele Kirkman (vintagediva1, #463) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I cleaned out the drawers and cabinets and got rid of the orphan containers into the recycle bin. I took all utensils that I don't use regularly and gave them away.

It looks darned good in there. I can actually find storage containers now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  12:17:30 PM  Show Profile
Rise St Arno (rodeorise, #597) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Knitting badge.

"I learned to knit in the round on double pointed needles. I made socks, socks & more socks. I knit on the front porch of our cottage in Lakeside, Ohio & chatted with everyone that walked by & even showed some how to knit!

Now everyone has socks, even total strangers."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  12:23:19 PM  Show Profile
Rise St Arno (rodeorise, #597) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Knitting badge.

"I taught myself to knit in the round with one circular needle, the magic loop. I knit socks, mobius scarfs and designed a part of fingerless mittens that I sold for Christmas money.

I sold so many mitts that I was able to make or buy on Etsy & Artfire handmade gifts for everyone on my Christmas list. I am now getting ready to sell the pattern for the mitts!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  12:28:59 PM  Show Profile
Rise St Arno (rodeorise, #597) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I made a take along sewing kit for my sister. It has drawstring handles that pull it up into a ball, with a pincushion in the bottom & six pie shaped pockets to hold threads, scissors, and a little book needle holder.

It was sew cute I made another one for myself!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  12:59:23 PM  Show Profile
Lois Gray (necobia, #1271) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I attended a quilting class at church.

We made seven baby quilts for teen moms and their babies! The quilts were awesome and spending time with the girls was a special treat!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  1:20:25 PM  Show Profile
Lois Gray (necobia, #1271) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I collected all the items needed to make a basic sewing kit before going to my quilting class.

I used a handy tote so that my kit would travel to and from class."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  1:30:08 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neuharth (Heather.Eleanor, #1304) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"My husband and I have bought, earned, or "inherited" 11 reusable grocery bags that we put to good use on our shopping trips. (We were able to earn one free bag by recycling our Christmas tree at a local grocery store a while back).

We have been working on the habit of using these bags ever since we first got married 2 years ago, and by now we are totally in the groove! Currently we do some of our recycling at our favorite grocery store, so instead of just storing the bags in the trunk I have begun to put our reusable grocery bags to use throughout the week as I sort recycling. That way our reusable bags and our recyclables are all ready for our grocery trip, and we are that much more prepared for everything. I get a kick out of using our bags now that we have some colorful ones; at first ours were all brown but now we have added lots of colors."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  1:40:14 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neuharth (Heather.Eleanor, #1304) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

I have collected 81 buttons and put them together in an old spice jar.

This little project of collecting buttons was so fun and interesting to me. It became a little hunt in my own home! I was determined to find all the extra buttons I could and see how many I had on hand. I even went through our closets and cut off those extra buttons provided on clothes we currently wear! My ten month old daughter likes to use the jar as a rattle, and she likes to look through the clear jar lid to see the buttons move around inside - so this is a toy as well as a handy collection. In the photo I have displayed the buttons on a doily that was crocheted by my Great Grandmother Rhoda Harkins on Mt. Desert Island, Maine."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  1:49:03 PM  Show Profile
Janie Edwards (janiee, #390) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I found an easy butterick 1/2 apron to sew for myself and my little sister. Hers was a daisy print and mine was green with brown polka dots. They were decorated with ric rac along the seams and have scalloped hems.
Would send a picture but my job won't allow it..I have started looking for a full size pattern to make for me - being a plus size lady that isn't too easy.

My sister thinks I should start sewing them for a "business," and she might be right. I love putting it on - it just makes the "chore" of cooking seem so glamorous."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  1:59:27 PM  Show Profile
Victoria Montoya (EastTXFarmgirl, #549) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I had no idea there is such a nutritional difference in raw and processed honey. I was amazed to learn that many of the nutrients are 'cooked' out of processed honey. I know raw honey tastes better. I have been purchasing raw honey from a local vendor at the farmers market. It is odd that even though it is the same vendor each time I purchase the honey it has a different flavor. He said he has never had two batches tastes the same and he has been raising bees for more than 30 years. He said that even though the bees have access to the same type of flowers each year the honey will change because of the conditions the flowers faced during their growing. My plan is to start my very own hive this year so I have read all the books I can get my hands on.

Raw honey is the route for me and my family. I don't care how cute the little bear jar is. If it is processed I won't be getting it. As for the reading, although Candace Savage's book is a very good book, I have concentrated more on the 'meat & potatoes' type books. I have read Beekeeping for Dummies by Howland Blackiston, First Lessons in Beekeeping by C. P. Dadant, and The book of Honey by Jenni Fleetwood. I have also completed Beekeeping 101 and I'm in the process of completing Beekeeping 201 & 301 courses by Dana Stahlman."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  2:38:09 PM  Show Profile
Staci Wickard (staci860, #973) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level 'Out There' Women badge.

"I put together a small daypack for hiking and biking. I used a camo fanny pack and put in the items listed on the MJF site with room for extra. I also included a small field journal that listed basic first aid and outdoor info with room to record memories etc.
I went online to research Pennsylvania native plants and was pleasantly surprised at how many I could already recognize and see in our area on a daily basis.

Well, so far so good. I hope to get out with my pack on a hike or bike ride this weekend."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  12:16:00 PM  Show Profile
Robin Armstrong Miller (birdie71, #1301) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have twenty plus resuable shopping bags that I have collected over the past couple years. Me and my family use them each time we go shopping anywhere. There's even a small one for the couple item trips.

This project started with me just using the bags. Of course, I was the one doing the shopping. However, my husband's work schedule allowed more time for him to help me at home. He has since taken over the shopping and uses the bags every time."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  12:36:05 PM  Show Profile
Delicia Noble (delicia, #959) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have collected reusable shopping bags.

I love the bag's, but it is hard to remember to take them into the store. I am committed to doing this so when I get in the car I put my coupon book, and grocery list with my bag's that way I do not forget and leave them in the car."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  12:43:28 PM  Show Profile
Robin Armstrong Miller (birdie71, #1301) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have used online search engines to look for nontoxic cleaners. I read an article in a back issue of MaryJanesFarm magazine that had recipes for household cleaners. This article was so much easier to read and to follow.

This is going very well! My family and I use Mrs. Meyer's general cleaner and dishsoap. I talked with my husband about trying the new recipes and he's game. While we use this up, we will be shopping for and making up some of the recipes that I found in the magazine article."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  1:14:52 PM  Show Profile
Lois Gray (necobia, #1271) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made a new apron for gathering eggs. I used recycled fabric from a curtain. My new apron has two big pockets for yummy! eggs, everyone loves it!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  1:31:39 PM  Show Profile
Lois Gray (necobia, #1271) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I made a full apron from scrap fabrics I had.

Love it, it has a criss cross back, and a very large pocket made from a Virginia ham bag! This morning I used the pocket to carry six new chicks into the house!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  1:42:15 PM  Show Profile
Lois Gray (necobia, #1271) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have been collecting buttons for the past year I have a plastic bin, and two mason jars full of only my favorites!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  1:53:38 PM  Show Profile
Carla Garner (phonelady, #1186) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge.

"This is my first full apron. Along with having FM I am also dyslexic, so I don't sew well from patterns. I still wanted to be able to make a full apron though, so I figured out a different way to make it. Where there's a will there's a way!

It turned out great! It's actually two of those decorator pillow covers that I found at the local Save-a-pet thrift store. Funny that I was able to find two with a pattern that I like. I also found some material to make the ties out of that went right along with the green fern cases. I looked at many people's tutorials on how to sew aprons and decided to make a butchers apron. I even made the ties. I still don't sew very straight and my material doesn't always match up perfectly, but you can't tell on this apron unless you look really really clooosely. I'm rather proud..."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  2:06:18 PM  Show Profile
Carla Garner (phonelady, #1186) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I've been using canvas totes for a while to carry projects and gear back and forth. Now I have the shopping bags from the local grocery to carry goodies back and forth. I can't stand all those plastic bags that have to be recycled or something. They just end up all over in cupboards and under the sink.

It's great! It's just like when I was in Alaska. I bring in my reusable bags and I get a nickle off my grocery bill for every bag I use. And I don't have to figure out what to do with them after I unpack the groceries. I just hang them on the front door knob so they'll end up back out in the truck for the next trip to the grocery. They are waiting for me to go visit and take along a project."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  2:14:28 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Cofer (jackieb, #1175) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I made the pinkeeper with a pint jelly jar and used a scrap of fabric and fiberfill for the lid. I filled my jar with scissors, safety pins, buttons, several small spools of thread, and a tape measure. I stuck straight pins in the lid.

I am so happy with it. My granddaughter thinks it is so cute she wants to make one too."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  2:21:57 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Cofer (jackieb, #1175) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I practiced making different seams by hand and on the machine. I made plain, edge-stitch, French, and flat fell seams. I played with it for an hour or so.

Not perfect, but I'm getting better with practice. I think the French seams are so neat."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  2:25:20 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Cofer (jackieb, #1175) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I collected about eight reusable shopping bags from various sources. Most were free. I keep the bags in my car so they will be handy when I need them.

Sometimes I forget to put them in the car after unloading the groceries. I am trying hard to remember to put them back in the car. I feel good about cutting down on the use of plastic."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  2:04:05 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neuharth (Heather.Eleanor, #1304) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I made a doll quilt.

Hoorah for doll quilts! I created this quilt out of scrap material from old clothes and leftover craft projects. The squares are machine sewn, and I hand-sewed the pieces of batting (also leftovers), the sides of the quilt, and the top-stitching that I did as a decorative finish.
I'm humbled to admit that this took a lot longer than 3 hours! This is both because I am a beginner and because I'm a bit absent-minded and had to seam-rip a rather large mistake...but I'm certain that I've learned my lesson and won't make that same mistake again, ha ha.
I was able to do some of the sewing in the company of a friend of mine, which was very pleasant. This quilt fits a doll bed from my childhood. I plan to give this quilt to my daughter when she is old enough to do more than chew on it!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  09:54:45 AM  Show Profile
Delicia Noble (delicia, #959) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made a 1/2 apron.

This is the first time I have really tried to sew since my disaster in high school. I think it turned out pretty well. Learned a lot and love my material. I will keep trying and hopefully getting better. Thank you MaryJane for getting me going."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  10:04:03 AM  Show Profile
Lois Gray (necobia, #1271) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I collected reusable shopping bags from our local thrift store and found bags I already owned that would work as shopping bags, I love using them and now I keep a few in my car at all times.

I feel very good everytime I use my bags and I think other people will do the same when they see other people care for the earth."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page