Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  12:07:01 PM  Show Profile
Christina Williamson (city_chick, #195) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I earned my merit badge by having our Farmgirl Chapter do an apron exchange. So all of them should be able to earn their badges also!

It turned out pretty good. I used a vintage pattern and luckily it was only a half apron because the directions were mere pictures."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  12:14:07 PM  Show Profile
Christina Williamson (city_chick, #195) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"To earn my merit badge I visited the EatWild website, visited with my local natural food store and learned more about the Nebraska Food Co-op and spoke to a Nebraska farmer at the farmers market about the meat he raises.

It turned out great. I found some good local resources. I have resolved from buying any beef that is not grass-fed and naturally raised."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  12:24:56 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"The thing I like the most about knitting is giving away what I have made. So, that is what I have been doing. I've been making knitted dish cloths and sending them out, along with other things, to our dear farmgirls on our RAOK list. I also love to teach anyone who is willing to learn. I think it is so important to keep all of these wonderful crafts alive.

Everyone seems to like them so far."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  12:42:05 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I've been crocheting for quite a few years now. The things I love to make most are the one's that I can give away. I just recently finished an afghan and I am working on another one, the second will be given to someone. I also love to teach what I know (I am always learning myself) I think it is so important to keep all of these traditional crafts alive.

Everyone seemed to like it and I even received a few requests, I just wish that I had time to make one for everyone. Wouldn't it be great if we could all wrap everyone up with love?"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  12:50:04 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I found a wonderful jar full of buttons at an antique store and I have been filling it with found and saved buttons ever since.

Great! I think it is a lot of fun looking for old buttons. I'm always on the hunt looking for some. I think it is so fun wondering where they came from."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  12:57:25 PM  Show Profile
Angelyn McLain (blueshelties, #960) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"First I watched the trailer and then I added a vegetable and herb garden to my already existing flowers and fruit tree's. Lastly I read the book "The secret life of Bees."

My apples tree's were just beautiful this year and I so look forward to my own apple juice! My gardens are wonderful habitats for the bee's and I also have baths for water for them and the birds. The book was amazing. I just fell in love with all the rich characters and found myself learning to love the bee's in the process. The ending was perfect! All through the book I could not figure out how she was going to get to stay at the pink house. It was beautifully written and she did such a wonderful job of teaching me about bee's while drawing me in to her story. I am from the South and could relate to so many things in the book. One of my dearest friends in the world is the image of August and I think that that aspect made it even more special to me. It was so nice to finally see Lilly have love in her life. I also never knew that when the bee's drank from the elderberries that the honey would turn purple! I want to keep learning about bees!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  09:40:21 AM  Show Profile
Karla Visser (karla, #1426) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"I love to cook! I have items that most kithens don't have because I like to try new things. When my daughter set up house I shared my extras with her. I hope to be able to do the same for my son when he goes out on his own!

It is so nice to see my daughter cooking things from scratch just like I taught her!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  09:50:20 AM  Show Profile
Karla Visser (karla, #1426) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I have Nubian's daiy goats and I am currently milking two of them.
I also raise heritage Iowa Blues chickens. Here is a picture of a couple of my "girls."

I have just recently tried making my own yogurt and my husband loves it!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  09:59:58 AM  Show Profile
Karla Visser (karla, #1426) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Crochet badge.

"I like to make baby afghans for new moms, they make a great coverup for the car seat and it lets the baby breathe but keeps them warm!

I have taught my daughter to crochet and she and I sometimes will sit for hours talking and crocheting."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  10:07:46 AM  Show Profile
Karla Visser (karla, #1426) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Knitting badge.

"I have recently been doing mittens! I have also finished a sweater!

It was a challenge at first but once I got the hang of it it was great!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  10:16:40 AM  Show Profile
Karla Visser (karla, #1426) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Quilting badge.

"When my kids were in elementary school I made a quilt for a raffle. Some of the mothers came and helped me quilt it. We had all the kids sign their name on a square pieced it together with school motifs. What fun!

The kids had such fun looking for their names! It took three months to finish!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  10:27:33 AM  Show Profile
Dawn Chritiansen (dchristi, #1006) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"Writing this journal helped remind me that I have something to be grateful for every day."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  10:50:40 AM  Show Profile
Sherry Kennedy (sheleeken, #1367) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner, intermediate, and expert level Aprons badge.

"1. I made the half MJ frilly apron from the pattern our Sisterhood chose (Wild At Heart).
2. I made four more full aprons of my own design, re-cycling three men's shirts, a woman's jumper, and one woman's skirt.
3. I made two full aprons from patterned material, one which I lined.
4. I gave one of the half aprons to a friend for her birthday
5. I had a great time the whole time!!!!

Each apron got better looking, more fun, more funky looking & creative (e.g. like using the cuff to a sleeve on a man's shirt to make a puffy pocket, using the collar to make a waist band, with button down and all, using the button plackets to make the neck band).
I bought a new sewing machine and donated the old one to Goodwill.
I converted a LARGE closet in my guest room to be my sewing room, it's lovely.
I have three more projects in the works and have a "tree" in my kitchen to hang my aprons. When the sisterhood comes over, they will choose which apron they would like to wear and then I will give it to them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  11:08:21 AM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn (christmasgal, #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I went to Barnes & Noble, Fred Meyers, and Grocery Outlet and bought reusable shopping bags.

It's great, I love being one of those people that cares about the environment. I feel a kinship with others that I see using them also. I know I had to put date finished but I want to put never, but there isn't a date for that. :) "
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  11:18:25 AM  Show Profile
Tina Dennis (dreamingofafarm, #1355) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I read both the eatwild.com website and I am reading "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle." Both of these resources, as well as conversations with local farmers at the farmers market have educated me as to the differences between grass-fed and commercially raised.

There are so many things I have learned that have made me feel truly frightened by the prospect of eating commercially raised meat of any kind. There are the environmental implications, the cruelty animals suffer in those conditions, the poor treatment of workers at commercial farms, the list goes on and on. The factor that has really impacted me the most, though, is the use of antibiotics and other chemical substances in the animals diets to "fatten" them up and prevent disease. Not only does this unnatural chemical process seem unreasonably cruel and disgusting in terms of treatment of the animal, if we are choosing commercially raised beef and chicken we are voluntarily polluting our own bodies with these chemical additives."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  11:24:25 AM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have collected 10 reusable shopping bags and always keep them in my car for trips to the store. I even have two that fold into practically nothing that I keep in my purse for those trips where I don't bring the bags in because I don't think I'll be buying something...I usually end up with something!

I have had the bags for a while, but was not as vigilant about their use. Now, I use them every time I go into the store. And if I forget them in the car, I'll leave the shopping cart next to the customer service desk, tell them I'll be right back and run out to get them. I feel really good about not contributing to all the plastic bag waste that's out there and the reusable bags really do hold a lot more!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  11:31:37 AM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I was so excited about this badge! I couldn't wait to start my own little flock! While researching how many chickens I could have on my little lot, I looked into county regulations. No problems there, but my homeowners association strictly prohibits "farm animals." When asked what animals they were talking about they produced a list and guess what animal was the first on the list - Rooster/chicken! So I can't have any chickens of my own. However, one of the farmgirls in my chapter has her own little flock and has let me have fresh organic eggs whenever I want them!

I LOVE the fresh organic eggs! First, they are so beautiful! I never knew eggs could come in so many different colors. My daughter swears the pinkish ones are the best. :-) Second, the yokes are SO yellow. It is amazing that they can look so different from a "regular" egg in almost every way. And last but not least, they taste 100 times better! My husband even asked what I did to the scrambled eggs. He knew they tasted better, but couldn't put his finger on just what change I had made. Nothing but organic! I'm officially a fresh organic egg convert and can't wait to move out to the country to start my own flock!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  11:40:42 AM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I decided before Christmas to make my fist apron and chose a cute retro holiday fabric for the "perfect" half apron. I found a pattern that I liked and set to work.

Well, I was quite amazed at the amount of work required for such a basic looking apron. It has two pockets (both with ruffles at the top) and a large ruffle at the bottom. I am apparently not very handy with ruffles! I had a very difficult time scrunching them just right and then getting them to stay that way while I was sewing them on. I had to rip and redo a few times, but I finally did it and the finished product is one that I was proud to wear early Christmas morning!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  11:49:47 AM  Show Profile
Angela Burnette (natesgirl, #1438) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"We were given three grown chickens that needed a new home. We made a temporary coop and used a dog run for the fenced pen for them. They were rather skiddish and didn't lay for the first week or so after the move.

Our three ladies are laying 2-3 eggs nearly every day now and will soon be joined by the 39 chicks in our basement. We are converting an old barn into a new coop and getting two more dog runs to add to the one we have. The older chickens now meet us at the pen door when they hear us coming."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  11:58:33 AM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I tried my hand at doing a different kind of quilt. I usually like to do an entire quilt by hand, but this one was done on the machine. It was still a lot of work, but I really enjoyed it, even if I did have a little trouble with the corners.

I think it turned out great, even though I am still not too happy with the corners."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  12:07:14 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Quilting badge.

"This quilt was done entirely by hand, except the very border (I had help with that). This was a great take along project and it is wrapped up with memories of working on it at my family and friends houses.

It turned out okay. I really wasn't all that happy with the handquilting at first. I don't know how many times I ripped out those stitches trying to get them straight. I do love the colors, though! And I even received a request from someone to teach them how to quilt!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  12:22:21 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Bosworth (dandelionhouse, #1199) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"Our daughter became interested in horses at the age of 10. I was a horse crazy girl too when I was young (still am), so we set out to find a local barn to start lessons. We drove around and interviewed with a couple places and finally settled on one not too far from our home. We liked the instructor and the facility was very well kept and just homey enough for a couple of new riders like us.

We each took a one hour private lesson once a week rain or shine (they had an indoor arena). We learned all about horse care from the ground up. Everything from keeping an organized barn and tack room, keeping ourselves and the horses from any dangerous accidents, and the importance of wearing a helmet while riding. We learned basic riding skills and Dressage riding techniques. It was a wonderful experience for a mother and daughter! We loved our time at the barn!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  12:30:47 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Bosworth (dandelionhouse, #1199) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Horse Dreams badge.

"While we were taking riding lessons we learned a lot about the breeds we were riding. We had the opportunity to ride a Quarter Horse, Morgan, Trakehner, Welsh Pony and a big Hanovarian/Belgian cross. To further our knowledge about horses we bought DK's Smithsonian Handbook on horses and studied up on other breeds too. We enjoyed learning that the history of the Friesian Horse in particular. It's origin is Pre- Christian, cold blooded, and was most prevelant in the Netherlands: Friesland. The Friesland descends from the "primitive" Forest Horse of Europe and carries with a regal title as the horse who carried German and Friesian Knights to the Crusades and was used as an all purpose War Horse. The Friesian is noted for it's loveable character and easy temperment.

While it is admired as a great saddle horse for it's calm manner and agilty, the modern Friesian excels as an impressive, free-moving harness horse.

We aren't riding at the moment due to the economy, but we continue to quench our thirst for all things horses. I read The Soul of a Horse a couple of months ago. I love that book!
We have located two horse rescue's in our town. We are looking into volunteering when school gets out!

I'll be back for the expert badge in Horse Dreams!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  12:40:52 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Bosworth (dandelionhouse, #1199) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"We have been keeping a small flock of eight laying hens in our suburban/rural back yard for five years. We chose breeds that are hardy to our long cold New England Winters. Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Plymouth (barred Rock), Auracana, and Wyandotte.

We love keeping backyard chickens! My husband built them a custom coop from reclaimed lumber and a large paned window we picked up for FREE. He also rehabbed an old screen door for the entrance to their run which keeps them safe from predator's. We painted it BARN RED! We call it THE LITTE RED HEN HOUSE! We enjoy keeping chickens and have added four more to our little flock this spring. We love the country charm they bring to our back yard scape and the fresh eggs they provide many months of the year are priceless. We feed organically as well as providing them with lots of yummy kitchen scraps!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16265 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16265 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  1:51:33 PM  Show Profile
Robin Montoni (#1485) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have a button collection which I began years ago and well exceeds 50 buttons."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page