Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2021 :  4:38:28 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Mindfulness Meditation Merit Badge!

“I researched walking meditation and found that you need to follow your own foot steps. What this means is that while you are walking, you look down, switch your senses, expand your awareness, guard your inner peace and look for the good.

I meditated for the additional month from 2/24/21 - 3/24/21, continuing to use the following techniques: Breathing, Resting Awareness, Noting and Visualization. It was good.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2021 :  4:39:54 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I started growing my herbs January 19, 2021 with: Mint, Chives,Tyme, Rosemary, Dill, Oregano, Parsley, Basil, and Flat Leaf Parsley.

Today, I harvested the mint and chives. I made a chive dip and mint rice. The recipes are in the photos. I liked the dip the best.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2021 :  5:14:27 PM  Show Profile
Judy Curtis (Judy L Curtis, #7789) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I kept a daily, gratitude journal for a month. Read one entry per day in The Book of Awesome by Neil Pasricha, which I checked out from my local library.

I have never enjoyed keeping a daily journal. However, concentrating on just one positive event a day appeals to me. Thus, I plan to continue with my gratitude journal.

In addition, I plan on continuing to read The Book of Awesome and similar books by Neil Pasricha. This merit badge was a positive experience for me.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2021 :  5:16:39 PM  Show Profile
Miranda Howard (Miranda L Howard, #8260) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I checked out MaryJane's book from my library and read through it, deciding to try embroidery first. Then I tried the farmgirl, the filler, and the chain stitches to embellish my farmgirl badge.

My stitches could be a little more uniform, but over all I'm pleased with the results, and am looking forward to trying more.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2021 :  5:18:37 PM  Show Profile
Kristin Poley (kpoley, #8347) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I have a flock of 18 chickens of multiple breeds, my favorite being the Plymouth Rocks. They're the best foragers and have a great temperament. We started our flock 3 years ago and have added a few chicks each year, but this year will be the first year we don't add more. My birds are fed predominantly organic, and free range except in the deepest depths of winter. They also get table and garden scraps.

It's going great! My birds are healthy and happy to be scratching outside again now that the weather is better. My egg production always slows in the winter (I'm not set up for artificial light), but production is ramping up again. I attached a picture of one of my originals. She's my only one of that breed and she's super sassy.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2021 :  5:19:52 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy A Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I was an eighth grade History teacher for 7 years so I was drawn to this badge. I knew the answers to the questions, but I researched the answers anyway. I typed up the questions and the answers as I would have expected of my students.

I was pleasantly surprised at what I learned about the Constitution and our government economy. I was unsure of the type of market economy in this country. I had never thought about the fact that our country had a mixed economy. Very interesting to me.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2021 :  2:07:05 PM  Show Profile
Victoria Elwood (vicki8257, #8257) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Spirit Merit Badge!

“I hosted my first tea and documented our shared farmgirl experience. The tea was a huge success. We will definitely be planning another.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2021 :  2:08:19 PM  Show Profile
Victoria Elwood (vicki8257, #8257) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I earned this badge by making some dishrags and some scrubbies. It sure was a lot of fun. I've been giving them away like hot cakes. Everyone loves them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2021 :  2:09:01 PM  Show Profile
Victoria Elwood (vicki8257, #8257) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I earned this badge by learning a new stitch called the bean stitch. I made an afghan. It came out beautiful. What a fun stitch to do. I made it and gave it to a friend as a wedding present.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2021 :  2:10:07 PM  Show Profile
Victoria Elwood (vicki8257, #8257) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have collected 6 bags and then some. I'm currently working on making some for my fellow farmgirls.

It was good. I keep them in my truck and when ever I go into any store I take at least one or two with me. It's working well so far.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2021 :  2:17:51 PM  Show Profile
Victoria Elwood (vicki8257, #8257) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I'm becoming much more aware of the recycling symbols and what each means. I have researched cleaning products and I make some of my own cleaning products with essential oils.

It has been a lot of fun. My daughter and I have made it a game to see who can find the recycle symbols first. I have the cleaning products in the bathroom, and the kitchen and the room sprays in the linen closet and laundry room. The kids love the smell of the orange and the lemon. The lavender is taking some work. lol.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2021 :  2:44:03 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilling Merit Badge!

“I actually used to enjoy quilling when I was in Grade 8 at high school. My aunty taught me the craft for the first time and it was quite popular at that time. Believe it or not, it has recently made a come-back and my 12-year old niece is now crazy about it. It's fun to share ideas with her and see her enjoying the ancient craft.

Some sources suggest that many of the techniques we use today were originally practised in Ancient Egypt. The popularity of Quilling has fluctuated. Work of high quality was achieved by French and Italian nuns in the 16th and 17th centuries; genteel ladies in the Stuart period; ladies of leisure in the Georgian and Regency periods - and it is currently enjoying a modern revival. It also spread to North America with the settlers. Those of us who quill today find we have something in common with Elizabeth, daughter of George III, Joseph Bramah (the famous locksmith), Mrs Delany (pioneer of other paperwork and friend of Jonathan Swift), Jane Austen (who mentions it in her novel 'Sense and Sensibility') and the Bronte sisters: quite a distinguished gathering of enthusiasts!

Nuns on the continent decorated reliquaries and holy pictures, adding gilding and much ornamentation. The ecclesiastical connection was maintained when the art spread to England with the development of paper, though vellum and parchment were also used. Poorer churches produced religious pictures with rolled decoration. When gilded or silvered, it was difficult to distinguish it from real gold or silver filigree work.

Materials required are the slotted tool, tweezers, needle tool, and a crimper tool is optional. Of course, you need paper and there are various dimensions depending on the project. There are solid coloured, graduated, two-tone and acid-free. The most common shapes to quill are the closed loose coils, open coils, tight coils, wheatears, heart scrolls, C-scrolls, S-scrolls, teardrops, alternate side looping, and fringed flowers & pom poms.

I chose to quill an Easter bunny, given that the Easter season is upon us. I have mounted it on to a decorated egg shell.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2021 :  2:45:02 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Birds Merit Badge!

“Since moving to our little piece of paradise here in Ravensbourne, we have installed a bird feeder in our back yard and we have 2 bird baths in the garden.

We've lived at our current property for about 7 years now, so we have observed the seasons come and go and with them, the kaleidoscope of birds that find our garden their home for a while.

There are those faithful few that are hanging around all year through. They have found their home in a nearby tree or in the undergrowth. They know where the feeder is and they even keep an eye out for a fresh supply of seed, being the first to dig in. They frequent the birdbaths for a refreshment or a quick dip to cool down. These regulars are the grey pied butcherbirds, the magpies, kookaburras, yellow-tailed black cockatoos, white cockatoos, galahs, king parrots, rainbow lorekeets, noisy miners, satin bower birds, and top knot pigeons.

Spring is the busiest time, with babies being born. First there is the haste to construct a comfortable nest. The noisy miners aren't fussy what materials they use - my Grandfather's beard plant or fine pieces of fibre from the mat at our front door. And their favourite place to create the nest is in the tree right outside our bedroom window, so when the chicks are born, it's a few months of early wake up calls as the chicks squark loudly for a feed.
The magpies cause their own chaos. Mother magpies are particularly protective of their little ones. Swooping magpies have been known to cause a visit to the ER. September-October is the season to be aware. A swooping mother magpie can knock an unexpectant cyclist from their bike, startle a contemplative hiker and even strike us while quietly going about our gardening. They will penetrate the skin if in a really bad mood.

The satin bower bird is much shyer. They have a distinct call, so you know they're around. The male will playfully flirt with the female, chasing her around the trees near the bird bath. He busies himself with creating an elaborately decorated bower in the undergrowth just outside our front gate. He has lived in the same vicinity for the past 7 years that we have been here. He collects blue items and meticulously places them around the entrance to his bower to attract the female.

There is definitely a pecking order when it comes to the feeder. We have it fixed to a fence post out in the back yard, so we can sit on the porch and watch the goings on of the bird kingdom. There is the quiet top knot pigeon who will pick up the crumbs on the ground below or make a brave landing in the feeder if no one is about. Then, there are the king parrots who love the sunflower seeds best of all. They're confident enough to come up to the porch and even eat from our hands, however, they are not confident enough to stand up to the bossy rainbow lorekeets. Size doesn't seem to matter because while the lorekeets are smaller, they are certainly louder and more dominant. They will chase all other birds away and sit right in the middle of the feeder so that no one else can come in for landing. Ultimate school yard bully and boss of the bird feeder, however, would have to be the gang of sulphur-crested cockatoos. We've had up to 14 at once, so it's a loud chaotic buffet lunch.

Then there are those birds that prefer the neighbouring bush lands and I only really get to see them (or hear them) when I go running along the dirt road from our house. There's the Australian bush turkey that darts across the road in front of me, or the Eastern whipbird that you can hear and never see. The crimson rosellas seem to prefer the grass seeds sprouting at the side of the road.

And lastly, there are our generally reliable weather forecasters - the Eastern Koel (or otherwise known as the storm bird) that have a distinctive call that echoes out across the valley just before a thundery storm.

Yes, we love our little piece of paradise and the birds that call it their home.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2021 :  2:46:13 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Canning Merit Badge!

“Food preservation has been around for centuries. Food may be salted, fermented, jarred up, covered in oil, dehydrated, cellared, and frozen - all as means for preservation. There was a time, of course, that preserving food was a life-or-death matter. People had to rely on their own resources and planning to survive the winter, so food preservation was vital. Now, with a focus on eating locally and seasonally, we can use the same techniques to aid in eating locally all year long. Preserving and canning are perfect ways to extend the season and keep the larder stocked with fantastic farm-fresh food in winter, when there isn't much in the ground to harvest.

The decision about what to preserve should be influenced by what produce is in season and abundant locally. Buying food in bulk at the height of the season is a thrifty affair.
Preserving does not need to be an intimidating process. There are two ways to create a safe seal on your preserving jars, either by water-bath canning or by using a pressure canner. Water-bath canning is recommended for high-acid foods like most fruits and any food that is pickled in vinegar (wherein the vinegar helps to lower the pH). Bacteria that can cause spoilage in foods is killed at 212 F (100 C), the boiling point for water-bath canning. The low pH of fruits or vinegar inhibits an environment conducive to botulism. Acid can also be added by using lemon juice, vinegar, or citric acid. Water-bath canning is the method I use the most.

The alternative way to preserve food in jars is by using a pressure canner. Pressure canners allow safe preservation of most low-acid vegetables (like beans and corn) and meats because they can be heated to much higher temperatures (240 F) than boiling water. This high heat kills all bacteria, including botulism.

I have also read about steam canning. Steam canning uses a little bit of water which is vigorously boiled to envelope the jars in hot steam to raise the temperature of the jar contents. I personally don’t use a steam canner.

I looked at 3 different canned goods in my pantry to determine how each product was canned. I chose Bread & Butter Cucumbers, Kalamata Olives, and Sundried tomato pesto. Both the cucumbers and the olives have food acid added to lower pH. They also have the pressure button on top of the jar to indicate adequate seal and the use of pressure canning. The pesto has a lemon juice extract added to lower pH, then it too is pressure sealed.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2021 :  2:47:49 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Canning Merit Badge!

“For water-bath canning you will need: clean jars; a large canning pot; kitchen tongs to remove the jars from the water-bath; folded towels to cool jars on; labels.

Here are the 2 recipes I made using the water-bath method:

Lime & Ginger Marmalade
1 kg limes
1.5kg caster sugar
2 tbsp finely grated ginger

Remove the tops and bases from the limes, discard and then thinly slice the remaining fruit. Transfer the cut fruit to a large mixing bowl and cover with water (about 1.5 litres). Leave fruit to stand in the water overnight in the fridge to help alleviate some of the bitterness in the rind.
The next day, pour the contents of the bowl into a large heavy-based saucepan and bring to the boil over night heat. Continue to boil for 1 hour or until the rind is soft. Measure how much fruit mixture there is at this stage and for every 250ml (1 cup), add 220g (1 cup) of sugar, along with the grated ginger.

Return the saucepan to a rapid boil and cook for about 15 minutes or until the jam reaches 105 C on a sugar thermometer. Transfer the hot jam into sterilised jars and seal. Process in a water bath for 5 minutes if using pint jars, 10 minutes if using quart jars.

Green Mango Chutney
170ml malt vinegar
500g brown sugar
1 tbsp sea salt
7 green Kensington Pride mangoes, peeled and roughly chopped
200g raisins
1 brown onion, finely diced
20g ground ginger
1 green apple, unpeeled and cut into 1cm cubes

When looking for your green mangoes, go for the ones that are green with a slight orange colour at the top of the fruit - and if they have a slight perfume, even better.

Heat the vinegar, sugar and salt in a heavy-based stainless steel pot until the sugar dissolves.
Add the mango, raisins, onion, ground ginger and apple. Return to the simmer and continue cooking for approx 45 minutes or until thick and saucy.

Pour into clean sterilised jars and seal immediately. Process in a water bath for 10 minutes. Remove with tongs and let cool on the counter.

I had excess jars of Lime & Ginger marmalade, so I gave some away to our friends at our bible study group.

I served some of the green mango chutney at the Sri Lankan meal that I served for friends Jeanette and Brett.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2021 :  10:54:10 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received certificates of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning the Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Levels of the Carpe Cocoa Merit Badge!

“Borrowed the book The True History Of Chocolate from my friend Candy (tiger9777). This was certainly an in-depth book. I found that the Olmec civilization which dates back to 1500-400 BC. They theorize that the Olmec people were the first to make chocolate from cacao. Another interesting fact was from Francesco Redi was the inventor of the famous jasmine chocolate of the Tuscan court. Redi took a layer of cocoa beans then layered jasmine flowers, added sugar vanilla beans and cinnamon . . . sounds good so far but then he added ambergris which comes from the intestine of the sperm whale. Today in Italy, they make the famous jasmine chocolate minus the ambergris.

Well on to the taste test—that was fun because I like chocolate. Read about how they make the different types of chocolate. For the intermediate badge I read the book mentioned above that tell how they were founded and all the work that goes into make such a dessert. So we tempered chocolate and made chocolate covered cherries and chocolate covered pretzels. Both were good, one sweet, and the other salty.

For the expert level we made chocolate cupcakes with ganache icing. Also made truffles, peppermint chocolate, chocolate with chocolate sprinkles, chocolate almond, and chocolate caramel truffles. Then, we had our Mexican hot chocolate made with cinnamon and tasted all of the truffles.

Very fun and delicious way to spend the day with a friend. It was fun to learn so much and then create a party in these interesting times.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2021 :  10:59:12 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I've been using organic health and beauty products for a while. I like the Bert's Bees line of products. I made lip balm, bath salts, and shampoo from Organic beeswax, coconut oil, epsom salts, and essential oils.

This reminded me to always look in my organic books before heading to the store. I have used the shampoo and bath salt for a relaxing bath.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2021 :  11:01:05 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Differing Abilities Merit Badge!

“For this badge I read the adat.org/factsheet/ADAN-writing.
This was a familiar subject for me and it was good to review. In my line of work I needed to put together an ADA Manual. There are many things to consider when looking at differnt land properties to make sure they are ADA compliant, such as the dots you see when entering a store are called truncated domes they are felt through the feet or when using a white cane to orient visually impaired individuals so on their routes and to indicate right-of-way changes and traffic flow patterns. Just another example and one used on your MaryJane Sisterhood newsletter is the "read aloud" icon for the people who are visual impaired or blind.

One day you or a loved one might need extra help walking to a store entrance through age or physical disabilities. So there are designated handicap parking signs which, with the proper placard, will enable you to use those spaces.

Above are just three examples of ADA requirements. For businesses there is a booklet of information which can be downloaded for each industry. In my work I have a binder that each employee needs to read and understand the ADA requirements that need to be updated on a yearly basis.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2021 :  11:02:32 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“The Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge is an interesting challenge to improve your grammar and spelling. In this era of abbreviations and spellcheck, the use of the English language is disappearing into emojis.

So I found 14 new words that I haven't used. I wrote down the definitions and will be sharing them at our next sisterhood meeting.

The new word "Coronacoaster". The ups and downs the roller coaster of your moods during the covid-19 virus pandemic. This new word is to describe the current situation of some individuals in this unprecedented time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2021 :  11:04:08 AM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received certificates of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning the Beginner and Intermediate Levels of the Mosaics Merit Badge!

“I looked up different mosaic ideas and learned that mosaics can be made out of all sorts of materials. So I made the first beginner project with buttons. It is a 5 inch round coaster.
For the intermediate badge, I made a 12" x 12" stepping stone out of flat glass marbles.

This was a fun project and I will be starting on my expert level soon in my front yard.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2021 :  11:20:32 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Hughes (BeingHome, #1223) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Spinning Merit Badge!

“I’ve been spinning for several years, however, just purchased my beautiful carders. Before I knew anything about choosing spinning fibers I bought a lot of fibers that are better suited for possibly felting. Instead of wasting the wool, I'm carding it to try to get some semblance of order to it.

I tried teaching my granddaughter to spin on a spindle but she really struggled plus she was much more intrigued by my wheel. She has the basics down now, just has to learn regulate her singles thickness.

Carding has definitely helped with ordering these nappy batches of fluff. I’ve included a photo of the uncared fiber and my carders.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2021 :  11:22:10 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Hughes (BeingHome, #1223) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Weaving Merit Badge!

“Although I mainly researched fibers that could be used for both spinning and weaving, I also discovered many, many unconventional items that can be used in weaving such as plant fronds, twigs, twine, string, wire, repurposed clothing . . . the list is endless.

I wove table toppers for my nieces trying to fit the table toppers to their individual tastes. I used an old handmade loom purchased at an auction 40 years ago just because I liked the way it looked! When not in use it hangs on the wall in the craft room.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2021 :  12:48:13 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Did you know it's a crime to flush expired medication down the drain? As I'm deep cleaning, I thought I would tackle expired medications.

It makes sense that expired meds flushed down a toilet or drain would eventually leach into the groundwater/aquifers but when I'm in a cleaning frenzy, I'm not thinking that way. On one of the labels, I read that recycling centers can be found at pharmacies. I began calling around and found a recycling drop off at a neighboring town. The drop off looks like an old time mailbox.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2021 :  12:49:31 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Lend a Hand to Families Merit Badge!

“So much was happening in my neighbor's life a couple years ago: job loss, foreclosure, onset of the "empty nest". It was more than she could handle. All of this sent her spiralling into a deep depression.

Her husband and I began collecting boxes for the inevitable move. Everytime we had a fresh load of empty boxes, I began boxing/labeling/staging boxes to get ready for their move.

I often brought over several meals at a time so they could have some quick healthy meals. With the lady of the house down with debilitating depression, opening a meal, heating it in oven, smelling the scent of a homecooked meal, she was beginning to feel more empowered. It may have been my cooking but it was her reheating dinner to feed to her family.

The move was a complete success. Since every box was labeled, the lady of the house was able to quickly sort and put things away. She made the transition beautifully.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2021 :  12:50:40 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Hubbard (Kerry L Hubbard, #8275) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“Nothing makes me more insane than a squeaky door. However, we live very close to the Pacific Ocean so EVERYTHING rusts. When we lived inland, WD-40 was perfect to chase away squeaks. The salty moist air reacts to WD-40 and makes everything gummy. I discovered non-aerosol silicone spray. (((Mind Blown & Life Revolutionized)))

Since finding the silicone spray, I soldier around my home, zeroing in on squeaks, yard tool joints, and sticky window slides.

1 Squirt = 0 Squeaks
It's like "new math"

All my hand tools get a blast of silicone before I head out to my garden and another little blast before heading back for storage in my she-shed.

Wish all chores were this easy.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page