Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  11:00:20 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“I looked up some photographers and the one I chose is David Brookover. David Brookover is skilled in capturing beauty and forming imagery through his lens beforehand-crafting the image into an exceptional print, which is the true foundation of his art. Ansel Adams would be my second choice. Ansel Adams is known as the Supreme Master of Landscape Photography, and is by far the most important name among famous landscape photographers, but he only does black and white. I took over 50 photos with my camera. I used the style and technique of the photographer that I chose. I then picked ten of my best photos to share and discuss on the Farmgirl connection chat room. I also read a basic book on photography techniques.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  11:02:13 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level 3 R's Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) Merit Badge!

“I made my row markers out of tin can lids using the punch method. For the stakes, I used plastic forks. I also learned to sharpen my own garden tools. I'm now in the habit of wiping down my tools and putting them away properly. I did all of this over a time period of four months. It turned out well!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  11:03:39 AM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level 3 R's Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) Merit Badge!

“I made a female scarecrow out of old clothes and stuffed her with real straw. I then took pictures and share them in the Farmgirl Connection. It turned out great.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  11:14:13 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“I researched the photography terms and have sent a picture of all the definitions. I took more than twenty photos to show how I lived the farmgirl lifestyle on my ranch, included photos and shared them on the Farmgirl Connection. It was fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  11:15:19 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“I looked up different photographers and the one I liked liked is Denise Ippolito. She's a worldwide traveler and has won many awards for nature, animals, wildlife, and wild flower photography. I took my 50 photos using animals, wildflowers, nature, and sunsets as subjects. I am posting my 10 best photos as well as a picture of Denise Ippolito and the basic book I read on wildlife photography. It was good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  11:33:03 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Weather Merit Badge!

“I kept my weather journal for one month, from Oct. 2 to Nov. 2. I got to see the change in seasons from late summer to fall here in Texas. Watched a couple of cold fronts and storms come through and noticed what the clouds were doing.

As ranchers, we have always kept one eye on the weather, but it was fun to level up a little.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  11:34:28 AM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (KyriaRae, #8397) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“Today I switched from regular dish soap to pure castile soap. When the laundry soap is used up, I will make my own; something I used to do but got out of the habit several years ago. We regularly use homemade goats’ milk soap for bath and body. I switched from cheap shampoo to pure castile soap.

I started my “green” journal—I pledge to use only green cleaners in the future.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  12:17:09 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa Hoosier (Vanessa K Hoosier, #8384) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“We now have eight reusable shopping bags! I've also managed to appliquι two of them. I'm hoping to get all of them embroidered or appliquιd!

I'm loving using them. I had two I used before Covid-19 hit to reduce my plastic bag use but then they were not allowed during the height of the pandemic. I used that time to acquire more and am loving how much less waste I bring home from the grocery store!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  12:18:26 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa Hoosier (Vanessa K Hoosier, #8384) has received certificates of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning the Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Levels of the Recycling Merit Badge!

“We recycle everything possible! I have trained my girls to be the recycling police and they love to "catch" whenever my husband or I misplace something in the trash instead of recycling. We have set up two separate cans in our kitchen—one for recycling and one for trash with a list of all possible items to recycle on the outside of the recycling can.

We are now recycling more than we throw away! We only take our trash to the curb about once a month now—and mostly just to keep the can cleaned out and from smelling, not because it's full!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  12:19:17 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa Hoosier (Vanessa K Hoosier, #8384) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I have a library card and use it (mostly) to check out kindle books to prevent the need to drive to town as often. I also have been using it to check out audio books that I can listen to while working around the house or on handwork. I have a digital to-be-read list on the library's website. And a folder in my kindle of books I own that I want to read in the next year.

I keep my kindle by my bed and read a chapter or two each night before I go to sleep—it's been a wonderful way to relax into sleep after a busy day.

Audio books have been excellent to keep me learning even while I work on mundane (but important) tasks around the home.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  12:19:57 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa Hoosier (Vanessa K Hoosier, #8384) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get It Together Merit Badge!

“My husband and I spent an evening chatting with each other and cleaning out our kitchen cabinets and being sure we have lids or silicone covers that can work for all of our storage containers. We have only glass and steel now and everything has a workable lid!

My container cabinet is beautiful! I can easily find the storage containers I need and we have a variety of options for lids for them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  12:20:55 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa Hoosier (Vanessa K Hoosier, #8384) has received certificates of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning the Beginner and Intermediate Levels of the Recipes Merit Badge!

“I collected family recipes from my family and from my husband's family. I compiled those recipes into a digital recipe book and share access to those recipes with family members on both sides—we have printed them all out and made our own recipe binders with recipes organized as each person would prefer. It is also easy to share recipes quickly with friends.

This has been great! The family loves having all of our recipes - from church cookbooks, torn pieces of newspaper, etc. all gathered in one place where all of my family, near and far, can access the recipes that make up our memories!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  12:47:14 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Williams (Carrie W, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Leatherworking Merit Badge!

“Leatherworking tools include:
Awls—some have single points, some have interchangeable points; points can be rounded, or diamond shaped; they are used to mark points, drag line markings, or for making holes; some have “eyes” for lacing and sewing; leather workers will probably have several different awls.

Sturdy table with hard surface (such as granite) to pound against; sturdy self-healing mats help protect blades and cutters; Japanese cutting mat or poly cutting mats are sturdier than self-healing mats.

Burnishers/slickers—these are used to smooth leather and cut edges; they work by rubbing/friction; they can be wood, plastic, glass, or brass; high production leather workers may have burnishing machines.

Water spray bottle—to wet the leather before burnishing.

Leather cleaner and conditioner or oil.

Crease and fold tools—especially helpful for working with thick leather; used to make lines or creases and leaves nice appearance.

Knives/blades—these can be rotary or straight blades for cutting and shaping leather; can be specialized for beveling and curved for trimming.

Gloves—to protect hands from injury.

Scissors and shears—from long blades to very short blades.

Clicker press with dies—used to cut specific shapes are add holes; they add muscle to a tool so you don’t have to!

Dyes, paints, finishes—can add color to the whole piece of leather or used to add accents.

Leather Strop/sharpening stone—to keep blades and cutters sharp and without burrs.

Various fasteners and lacing materials, punches, stamps, marking tools.

And of course, a good organization system and work space! Tools should be kept dry and wiped down after use, before being returned to storage. Some may be oiled to keep from rusting.

My first project will be to add handles to a large “Kitty Bed” basket that I wove. I also want to make a leather pouch with snaps in which to store my small hand saw. Since I don’t want to get too fancy, I will only need some punches for making holes, a sharp blade to cut, a cutting mat and sturdy surface, and some fasteners.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  12:48:22 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Williams (Carrie W, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Leatherworking Merit Badge!

“Tanning refers to the chemical process, which includes acids, alkalis, salts, enzymes, and agents that dissolve fats and proteins from the animal hide and help to chemically bond collagen and fibers. The process can take weeks or even months. Initially, the hide is prepared for tanning by removing hair and excess flesh. The hide is then soaked in the tanning agents and finished by neutralizing, if necessary, drying, shaping, and conditioning. Chrome tanning (using chromium sulfate) requires neutralizing of the agents before finishing. Vegetable tanning (relying on vegetable material containing tannic acid) does not require neutralizing but takes much longer to tan.

Tooling leather is usually veg-tanned because chrome tanned leather is too pliable to hold the tooling. Veg-tan is soft, supple, and clearly holds tooled designs. It is neutral in color and can be dyed or painted. Dry-milled leather is tumble to dry and is soft and pliable. Chrome tanned leather is faster to make than veg-tan but has better water/stain resistance and less vulnerable to heat.

Leather weight is measured in ounces and refers to the thickness of the leather. The thinnest pieces of leather are approximately 1/64 of an inch and is called 1 oz. leather. This thickness of leather to 3 oz (3/64 inch thick) is typically used for linings, shoes/boots, pouches, purses, and garments. Four-seven ounce leather (1/16-7/64inches) is used for purses, shoes/boots, pouches, aprons, chaps, and knife sheaths. Eight-nine ounce leather (1/8-9/64 inches) is good for belts, saddlebags, horse tack, dog collars, holsters/sheaths, tool pouches, and slings. Ten-thirteen ounce (5/32-13/64 inches) is used for heavier belts and straps, gun belts, stirrup straps, cattle halters and heavier horse halters and leads. Fourteen-sixteen ounce leather (7/32-1/4 inch thick) is typically used for safety belts, harnesses, saddle skirting, soles and heels of shoes/boots, gun belts, and machine belting.

Casing leather is when veg-tanned leather is moistened with water to soften the fibers, making it easier to work with for projects that involve carving, stamping, forming/skiving and thinning of leather. Stamping involves hammering an imprint of a design into the leather. Veg-tanned leather holds stamping imprints the best. Sometimes the stamped designs are also painted.
Storing leather requires some attention since the material can be damaged by sunlight and moisture. Here are some basic rules to follow:
1. Store in low light environment, avoiding direct sunlight, even if wrapped in paper.
2. Wrap in heavy dark colored protective paper to keep out ambient light.
3. Store at 50-55% humidity. Do not store in a damp basement or closet.
4. Never wrap the leather in plastic!
5. Never store on bare cement floors or even carpet covered cement, as cement releases moisture. Place leather items and projects up on shelves, high off the floor.
6. Never fold leather! Always roll it up when not working with it to prevent creases that may not be able to be removed later.
7. If the skin has wool, roll with the wool side on the inside. Tie gently with soft string.
8. Separate oily leathers. Never store damp leather.
9. Keep colored leather separated as well since it may bleed the dye.
10. Avoid areas where stored leather could be subject to insects, rodents, or even metals which can react with the dying agents.

Conditioning leather helps keep it from over-drying and cracking. This can be done every 6-12 months, or more often if you live in a dry environment. Waterproofing is also done to help protect leather goods. This could be a spray or wax. This is good for shoes/boots that are regularly exposed to weather. Sprays must be applied more often than waxes so read the labels when deciding what is best for your leather. A damp cloth is good for wiping down leather goods (no soap) before conditioning or waterproofing. However, do not use these products on suede! A wire brush or other suede brush is best for freshening the surface of the hide.

This is a lot to learn!! The biggest takeaways for me are to protect my leather projects from moisture, and store them out of the sun. I already have a shoe polish and soft brush to use to keep my projects clean and protected.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  12:49:22 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Williams (Carrie W, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Leatherworking Merit Badge!

“I made two different projects for this badge because I bought enough leather for several projects. My first project was to add leather straps to a large basket that I made for my daughter’s kitties. I also made a pouch for a small hand saw, so that I don’t accidentally cut myself on the saw while it is stored in my tool bag.

I ordered my leather from Wanderings. It is approximately 1/17 inch thick, making it about a 4-5 oz weight. It came in a set of three sheets, each 12x12 inches. I purchased a set of hole punches from a local hobby store, along with thin leather string/thong and some clasps.
The leather handles were easy to cut with a sharp pair of shears, but would have had a cleaner edge if I had used a rotary blade, which I do not have for this material. The hole punches worked well. I punched two holes in each end of the straps and then stitched them with the leather string and a yarn needle. I used large buttons as a “washer” so that the stitching will not eventually pull through the leather.

My pouch was more difficult and required a lot of hole punching. I used a full sheet, which I measured and marked and added snaps where appropriate. Then I punched holes along the lower edges so that the bottom could be folded up and stitched with the leather cord on each side. It perfectly fits my small hand saw and keeps me from cutting myself on it while rummaging through my tool bag.

I’m darn proud of my projects! My daughter’s cat (only one of the two) enjoys his roomy nap basket and my saw is safely stored now.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  12:50:46 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Williams (Carrie W, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Basketry Merit Badge!

“I first learned how to weave a basket with my kids and the 4H group that I co-led with a couple other mothers. I invited a woman that knew who taught basketry to come to my house for the day and she brought all the necessary supplies. It was a fantastic day, and the best part was that even though we all worked with the same supplies, as far as lengths and widths of reeds and weavers, each basket was completely different. It was a great deal of fun to struggle through our first project together, learning how to space the spokes, clip them in place, keep everything pliable by soaking periodically in water (my dining room was completely spattered and slippery!!). We learned how to start adding weavers and adjusting the corner turns to make either a bowl shape or straight sided basket. And then we learned how to finish the basket off with a rims and lashing.

The kids were all so proud of their creations, and I enjoy having my basket out to show off, filled with my manicure essentials.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  12:51:50 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Williams (Carrie W, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Basketry Merit Badge!

“Now that I have made a basket, constructed from store bought materials, I am simply awed by the natural baskets of Native American tradition! I found some online that are being sold for $1400 and up, which I am sure is a good price for a one-of-a-kind, hand crafted item with such detail. They can be made from all kinds of natural, gathered materials like pine needles, sweetgrass, brown ash, and animal fibers, too! They are painstakingly woven and dyed, some even requiring weaving or braiding of fibers before starting the basket.

After learning some of the basics of basket weaving, I placed an order for material and bought instructions for an Adirondack Style pack basket. These are quite popular here in the land of the Adirondack Mountains, but they are very expensive. I also bought some pre-made basket handles and extra reeds for practicing with. My first on-my-own project was a small basket with a handle that is a metal half circle with a wooden handle. This basket was small and I finished it off with rounded reeds and fabric lashing, since I thought this would be a simple way to attach the handle. I cut strips of fabric, sewed them end to end, and pressed them into a quarter inch wide seam binding formation. I was able to then use a yarn needle and lash the two rounded reeds (one with the flat against the inside of the basket, and one with the flat side against the outside of the basket) with the fabric and added the basket as I went around.

It's definitely not perfect, but I'm always so pleased with handmade items, and I will be showing it off by filling it with some candy and placing it on my desk at work.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  12:53:06 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Williams (Carrie W, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Basketry Merit Badge!

“For my Expert badge, I jumped into the Adirondack Style Pack Basket. My instructions were good as far as helping me to know what to buy and how to cut my reeds, but the instructions for the actual weaving and finishing were very difficult to understand. I also didn’t find a handle like instructions called for but I figured out how to utilize some of my materials to add a handle. I did not add the webbing straps, either, since I will probably just use it to store yarn in or maybe for the farmer’s market. In hindsight, I wish I had spaced out the spokes a little more, but I wanted to avoid large holes here. It made it hard to get the basket started. I tacked the base to section of wood to hold the shape while I got started with the Ό inch weavers. This was very helpful. The first 10 rounds were hard but once I got up to where I was rounding out the front of the basket, it got easier to press the weavers down tight. I did a lot better on the shaping of the basket this time around. I have learned to pay attention to the corners and pull them tight where I want a boxy look and leave them a little looser for a rounded side. This basket was a combination of both. I used a “false rim” at the very top, cut the spokes down and tucked them into the weavers. I used a wider reed on the inside and outside of the top edge, and lashed with Ό weaver reeds. This whole process at the top made my hand muscles and fingertips ache! I used a pair of pliers to help. I made a handle out of a section of wide rounded reed and drilled a hole through the rim and handle ends so that I could lash through them and keep them secure. Once finished, I soaked the whole basket and then put a plastic trash bag inside, then filled the bag with fleece blankets to push the sides out and give it the proper rounded/smooth sided look.
My finished basket is a little rough looking because my reeds have been in storage for a while and they got damp and spotted. I will pick up some dark walnut stain and see if that improves the color. I also have some fuzzy spots.

My gift basket is the small basket with a handle that I made for the intermediate level of this badge that I have filled with tea bags currently, and will leave at church for Sunday morning use. I will change out the tea for candy over the holidays, as has been my tradition since I have been office manage there. Maybe I can get someone interested in learning weaving with me!

It isn’t professional quality, by any means, but I'm very happy with it and already have it filled with yarn. I can’t wait to try some other designs, like maybe a round basket with the other handles I have left over.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  1:47:36 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“My husband and I took a road trip. We're moving to Texas, so we decided to load a big trailer with some of our belongings. I say some because I'm a crafter and that's going to take two truckloads. My husband is an auto mechanic, so that's going to take another two truckloads. We set off in my Toyota Sequoia with a big trailer behind us on an adventure—something we have never done. We live in California and are moving to Texas if you were to drive straight through, it would take 25 hours to get where we need to be. Part of the adventure would be not only taking our things to a storage unit, but discovering new places we have never been to. Along the way we hopped on and off route 66. A while back highway 40 was built and replaced route 66. Part of the fun as we traveled was whenever parts of 66 were drivable we would get off the freeway and drive on 66. That in itself was an adventure.

We went to the petrified forest, which was amazing. It was a place neither one of us had ever been to and I've always wanted to do something of this sort. The nice thing about petrified forest is there are so many petrified trees there that it was just unbelievable there are places in there that the trees look like they were cut first but in actuality, that's not how it worked. I think by far the petrified forest was my favorite thing we spent about five hours driving through their getting out walking around touching and feeling and looking and having fun. Oh, and petrified forest actually came out right into route 66 again so we had the privilege of traveling on route 66 yet again.

On our way back we took a little detour and went to Roswell. I really wanted to see area 51, but the government doesn't allow you to see that so we went to the museum instead. My husband loves anything and everything to do with the history of bombs airplanes anything of that sort. I'm kind of starting to get into it now. The museum was very interesting. The interesting thing about the museum is that it has little sections of it that talked about different alien movies that have been produced. We love to watch alien movies and stuff like that. The funny thing is that every movie that was shown in the museum, is one my family has seen at least once. We're a bunch of geeks in that way—we love to watch movies that are about aliens and such. This was an amazing family trip. I wish my three boys could have gone with us but they are now adults so they don't do those things with us anymore.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  1:48:48 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“I took pictures at two separate community events. the first event was the harvest festival in downtown Oakley CA. The second event was the harvest festival at my church Brentwood neighborhood church. I took over 100 photos between both of the events including candid shots. I then took 12 photos and converted them into postcards. I posted my thoughts on Farmgirl Chit Chat. I also read an advanced photography book on techniques.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  1:49:49 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“I set up a repair day in my neighborhood, but I did a little bit different. I went door to door talking to the children about their bikes and showing them on how to oil their chain and how to maintain their bikes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  1:50:54 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rythmatic Merit Badge!

“I read three books in fiction, three in non-fiction, and three in the poetry section in the library. I really enjoyed reading all the books, but the one I liked the most was the book about Japan. I love Japanese culture. I like to do origami. Sometimes I do origami when I make my cards—it makes it cards look really nice with a little extra dimension to them. When I was reading the book about Japan, it reminded me of when I did my origami merit badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  1:52:18 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“I made my own garden trellis with twine and pieces of wood. I also made my bean teepee out of pieces of wood and twine. It turned out good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  1:53:47 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Knotty Farmgirls Merit Badge!

“I learned how to tie a square knot, half-hitch knot, and bowline knot. I took some time to really learn them by practicing them over and over until I got good at it. The three uses that you could use the square knot would be to tie down a sail cover, tie your shoelaces, for tying the string on a gift, or as one of the key knots used for macrame. The three uses for a half-hitch knot are two half-hitches to tie a rope to a tree, ring, or dock. Two half-hitches are commonly used to tie guy lines onto a dining fly. The three uses for a bowline knot are used for mooring boats, hoisting, hauling, and fastening one rope to another. It will not slip or jam, even under strain, but can be easily loosened by pushing with a finger. Then I built a tree swing that I love.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  3:04:21 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“I used 11 tin cans to make my Wizard of Oz tin man for the garden. Then I used five more cans to make a hanging garden tool holder. I made a birdhouse using flattened soda cans for a tin roof. I made three types of raised beds to use in the garden. It took a long time.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page