Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  11:45:19 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Differing Abilities Merit Badge!

“I went online and visited the adata.org faqs sheet website on guidelines for writing about people with disabilities and printed out the pages. This period I am very aware of people in my community who are dealing with disabilities. I used to work in home health care with elderly and hospice patients, until I was forced into retirement now that I am disabled myself myself. Permanent disabilities are categorized that the disability will not be resolved and is presumed to be a total permanent disability such as loss of use of arms, legs or eyes. A temporary disability will resolve in time with proper treatment, therapy and medication. The daily challenges may present in everything from daily personal care such as bathing, teeth, hair, dressing oneself, to the more extreme disability such as being bedridden, or loss of mobility. I miss being with my elderly clients. This badge is good.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  11:57:12 AM  Show Profile
Sherrie Bryant (Sherrie L Bryant, #8330) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Origami Merit Badge!

“I researched the history of origami. Origami is the ancient art of paper folding. I practiced a few folds and made a boat. I loved making these.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  11:59:02 AM  Show Profile
Sherrie Bryant (Sherrie L Bryant, #8330) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Origami Merit Badge!

“I learned to fold three different flowers, shapes, and animals. Some of the origami were easy, but these were hard.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  12:41:37 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“I cut the bottoms and the tops off two different colors of cans, and then cut down the middle. Then, I cut a wavy pattern on each can with my scissors for the roof of my birdhouse. I attached the roof to the top of my birdhouse. I took one of the bottoms of the cans that I cut off and put it in the front for a hole for the birds to go into the birdhouse.

I removed the labels from 15 cans and spray painted them silver. I gathered a bucket, a funnel, and a metal basket and painted them silver also. I got wire and my drill out and put together my really cool, awesome, totally rad robot for my garden.

Lastly, I built a raised bed planter box. It was eight feet long, five feet wide, and three and a half feet tall. On all four corners of my raised flower bed, I purchased solar lights so if I wanted to garden at night, I could. I used pressure-treated wood and lined it with plastic to protect any plants that I was going to put in there from harmful chemicals.

It all turned out so good!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  12:42:39 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“I made a garden gate decoration for my house. I made a cold frame to extend our growing season. It turned out good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  12:46:39 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“I took on a more difficult project by remodeling my bathroom. I had a closet in my bathroom where I stored my craft supplies. We decided that we wanted to turn that closet into a shower. So, I ripped out the shelves, took the door off, and removed the top half of the wall. I cut away the drywall to prep for the insert to go inside of that space.

When we purchased the house, this particular closet was already set up for a shower, so the pipes were already there. I had to learn how to sweat pipes to get the water for the shower head to work. After sweating the pipes, we mixed cement for the bottom half to put the floor of the shower in. Then we placed the shower in the bottom and used a level to make sure it was level and let it sit for 24 hours. After that, we put the wall inserts in and then put drywall all around the edges so that everything looks nice and neat and tidy. I put drywall tape along all the seams and used putty to make it an even surface. I did this four times in thin layers, sanding in between so that it dried without cracks.

When that was complete, we painted the whole bathroom. I caulked all outside edges of the shower to seal everything in. We put up a shower curtain and we were done. My husband and I worked together on this project. It took at least 60 hours to complete it. This was a very difficult and tiring thing for us to do, but it was so worth it. I do wish we had done this a long time ago. This turned out so good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  12:48:45 PM  Show Profile
Allison Clark (Allison Clark, #8292) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Tatting Merit Badge!

“I found a tatting pattern for a bookmark and butterfly. It took me 12 hours to complete my projects. I held two different teaching times with some ladies. The first was on zoom, the second I did in someone's home. The second one I taught went much better than the first one. I had learned much more and was able to share some easy tips so they learned it much easier. We had such a good discussion about tatting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  1:30:31 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge!

“I was able to help our neighbours, Greg & Tina, this past week while they were away visiting their daughter. They needed someone to visit the farm twice each day and bottle-feed one of their lambs, put pellets out for the adult ewes, feed the chickens and collect the eggs.

They have 15 sheep altogether who had lambed, but one ewe deserted “Pinkie” soon after she was born, and now she has to be hand fed. I simply called the sheep and they would come running to the yard. Fortunately, “Pinkie” was fairly easy to feed. I had to mix and warm the milk, then she would devour the whole bottle in a matter of seconds. She would then proceed to suck on the back of my legs as I walked out of the yard. I had to put pellets into several buckets for the ewes. I left some freshly baked cookies on the kitchen bench for when Greg & Tina arrived home yesterday afternoon.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  1:31:33 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“I completed the Bustin' Out Beginner badge in September and have now continued with our organic eating for an additional 2 months.

I initially started by focusing on eliminating the "dirty dozen" from our diet. These are the fruits and vegetables that are contaminated with the highest levels of pesticides. Substituting these for healthier, organic options was a priority. We have since continued to buy organic, particularly fruits and vegetables. I am able to purchase quite a few locally from the farm gate, otherwise, we have a Natural Food Market in Campbell St, Toowoomba, that only sells organic produce. I have also started to look out for more organic meat products since completing my "What's Your Beef?" badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  1:32:48 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I researched the holidays and traditions celebrated in Cambodia. Some of the main festivals include:
• 7 Jan – Victory over Genocide Day – the day commemorates the Vietnamese assault on the country in 1979 which brought an end to the Khmer Rouge regime in Cambodia;
• 13-16 April – Khmer New Year – rooted in Buddhist traditions, marks the traditional solar New Year in Cambodia. This is a way to respect the Buddha and your parents, bring them health and long life, and ask their forgiveness for past wrongs;
• 26 April – Visak Bochea – one of the most important Buddhist festivals. It is a celebration of Buddha’s birthday, and for some Buddhists, marks his enlightenment (when he discovered life’s meaning).
• 4 May – King Sihamoni’s Birthday;
• 20 May – National Day of Remembrance – commemorates the Cambodian genocide of the Khmer Rouge regime that ruled the country between 1975-1979;
• 1 June – Children’s Day;
• 18 June – Queen Mother’s Birthday – commemorates the birthday of Queen Mother Norodom Monineath in 1936;
• 5-7 Oct – Pchum Ben Day – festival originated in the Angkorian era when people followed animism, before Brahma or Buddhism. Both Buddhism and animism reflect Khmer respect and remembrance for their ancestors;
• 15 Oct – Commemoration Day of King Father, Norodom Sihanouk;
• 23-25 Oct – Paris Peace Agreements Day – formerly titled Comprehensive Cambodian Peace Agreements, were signed on 23 Oct 1991, and marked the official end of the Cambodian-Vietnamese War;
• 9 Nov – Independence Day of Cambodia;
• 18-20 Nov – Bon Om Touk, or the Cambodian water and moon festival, is a Cambodian Festival celebrated in Oct/Nov, often corresponding with the lunar Mid-Autumn festival. Visitors from every town and province travel to Phnom Penh to watch the boat races along the Sisowath Quay riverfront, visit the illuminated floating royal boats, watch fireworks, and attend free evening and night time concerts.

I chose to celebrate Bon Om Touk with my extended family. We had an evening meal together with Cambodian music playing. I found a few Cambodian songs on YouTube, specifically for the water festival. We had sparklers for the kids after dinner. I am finding Khmer language quite difficult to learn, so rather than singing a song or presenting a lengthy reading, I chose to share some phrases that I have learned.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  1:34:17 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“The primary difference between baking soda and baking powder is that baking powder already contains an acid in the chemical mixture, whereas baking soda needs an acidic ingredient to create the rising reaction. Baking soda can therefore be substituted for baking powder as long as there is enough of an acidic ingredient to make a reaction (for 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, you need 1 cup of buttermilk or yogurt or 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar).

For this merit badge, I chose to make 3 different breads using these chemical leavening agents. I made “Almond Chia Seed Bread” (using almond meal, chia seeds, water, tapioca flour, baking soda, apple cider vinegar, eggs and salt), “Wholesome Gluten-Free Bread” (using brown rice flour, buckwheat flour, millet flour, tapioca flour, guar gum, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, apple cider vinegar, macadamia oil, water, sheep’s milk yogurt, eggs and sesame seeds), and “Chocolate Banana Bread” (using bananas, butter, cane sugar, turbinado sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, sour cream, teff flour, sweet white rice flour, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, almond meal, cinnamon, salt, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, demerara sugar).

I found that whilst the Almond Chia Seed Bread was the quickest and easiest to make, it only really stayed soft for about 3 days, then we had to toast it to enjoy it. The Chocolate Banana Bread and the Wholesome Gluten-Free Bread took a little longer to make, using a mix of several flours, but they stayed softer for longer. The Chocolate Banana Bread had the addition of the baking powder and seemed to keep its soft bread texture the longest. I had to be mindful not to overbeat the mixtures, as this does result in a denser product. I have found that for the Wholesome Gluten-Free Bread, by soaking the flour in the water, sheep’s milk yogurt and apple cider vinegar overnight, I end up with a more digestible and nutritious product.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  1:35:33 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Path to Zero Waste Merit Badge!

“Trash is for Tossers was a fantastic website to browse through. It is a place for readers to be empowered with information and tools to reduce their waste and live in alignment with their environmental values. There are plenty of ideas for reducing waste, looking at anything from gift cards to personal hygiene items. The most common categories of household waste are: paper and cardboard, glass, plastics (including rubber), textiles, wood, metal, compostable, special/hazardous waste. Often these categories are broken down into recyclable and non-recyclable types.

Performing a waste audit allows you to know what type of waste you generate, how much waste you generate and where you generate this waste. Then you can manage this waste for maximum cost-effectiveness, and also be environmentally friendly. A waste audit is a physical analysis of waste composition to provide a detailed understanding of problems, identify potential opportunities, and give you a detailed analysis of your waste composition. It can help to answer the following questions:-
    • What is the largest category of what you throw away?
    • Where do the items in that category come from? Is their origin something you can influence to reduce our waste?
    • How much of your waste is preventable, and how much is not? Can you actually prevent the preventable portion of your waste? How?
    • How much of your waste could be diverted from the trash to other destinations, like recycling, composting, or reuse? Would the biggest category in your audit be impacted by diversion?

It would be an amazing achievement to get our household waste down to one mason jar per year!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  1:37:32 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Weather Merit Badge!

“Clouds appear when there is too much water vapor for the air to hold. The water vapor (gas) then condenses to form tiny water droplets (liquid), and it is the water that makes the cloud visible. These droplets are so small that they stay suspended in the air.

Scientists classify clouds by how high they are in the sky (low, medium or high), and by whether they are flat (stratus), puffy (cumulus), rain-filled (nimbus), or a combination of these characteristics.

We have been experiencing early summer rains over the past few weeks, so most of the clouds that we have been seeing are mid to low-level clouds. Two types of clouds that are commonly responsible for precipitation are cumulonimbus and nimbostratus clouds. Cumulonimbus clouds create heavy downpours and are common in tropical and temperate regions.

During the past 2 days specifically, we have had nothing but a dense blanket of low, grey, featureless clouds. These are nimbostratus clouds. These clouds form at low or middle altitudes and block sunlight. We are, therefore, forecast to experience more rain showers in the coming days.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  1:38:54 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Pay It Forward Merit Badge!

“I organized a collection of non-perishable items at our church for the month of November. I put 2 boxes at the back of the church and we advertised it in the weekly bulletin. We collected non-perishable food items, toiletries, etc. to give to the "Lowood Hub". The team at the Lowood Hub aim to strengthen families in the Lowood area with links to local community resources. They provide an Integrated Early Years’ Service, Targeted Family Support Service and Centrelink Agency, to support families living in the Lowood and surrounding area.

Our collection culminated with a church service of Thanksgiving/Advent today. Our congregation were generous with their giving and we filled our boxes to the brim (well over 50 items). I am the designated person to deliver the boxes to the Lowood Hub this week. We felt that this was a great time of year leading up to Christmas.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  1:40:34 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“I've been making Christmas gifts this year. I started making patchwork table runners a few months ago. I just work on them when get a few hours of free time. I've also been baking biscuits (White Chocolate & Cranberry, Date & Oat, and Chocolate Chip). I have put these into little bags and tied them with a red ribbon.

Rather than handmade ornaments and such, I decided to enter our church into the Christmas Lights competition this year. I made the scene and my husband helped me to install the lights. I utilized old tires of varying sizes (tractor tires through to lawn mower tires) to build an angel. I spray painted the tires white. I then made her wings & halo out of wire and wrapped tinsel around the wire. A gentleman at our church welded a star together which we afixed to the roof with strings of lights coming down to the front fence (like rays of light). I hand-painted a sign to advertise our Christmas service and, finally, we recycled some old timber animal cut-outs and placed a baby doll (baby Jesus) in a wooden box with straw hay. The competition is judged this coming week and the lights will be on display for the month of December.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  2:05:22 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“This was an easy badge for me to work on. We've been involved in scouting for over 27 years, so we have a lot of our supplies already on hand. I just had to gather the water and the food supplies and lay it all out for a picture. I made my emergency contact cards and I double checked everything I needed against a 72 hour list I found on the Internet. It was good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  2:06:39 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Expert Level Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge!

“We have all of our equipment on hand, the only thing I needed to add was was the food products. I converted my 72 hour kit into easy to pack kits by using all of our regular hiking backpacks and our backpacks on wheels, to make sure we are mobile in case of an evacuation. I have tarps, tents, warm clothes, extra shoes, medication, emergency numbers, radio, and a solar charger.

For my shelter in place kit, I made sure to add meals that are non-perishable such as pasta, trail mix, water, and box meals high on calories.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  2:08:35 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I designed my own template to cross-stitch for a larger project in the future. I used my hen that I made for a faux-stained glass project. I used graph paper to trace out my design and colored it with markers using symbols for a cross-stitch pattern.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  2:22:07 PM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Tatting Merit Badge!

“I found a tatting pattern to work on for making a medallion that I could then attach to my apron pocket. It took me three days to finish, many rip outs, knots, and starting over. I advertised on Facebook to our Brentwood Farm Girl Chapter, to host a tatting session on Zoom and had two people attend. I talked about the abbreviations of tatting terms, the supplies needed, showed how to ring, picot, chain and join. I talked about the tips and tricks that I've learned on my journey into tatting. It was good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  2:38:42 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“For my beginner Green Energy badge, I researched my power company. In my area it is Pacific Gas and Electric Company. They generate electricity at hydroelectric (16%), nuclear (22%), renewable solar, geothermal and biomass (14%), natural gas (39%), and coal (8%) facilities. 

Natural gas is a fossil energy source that formed deep beneath the earth's surface. Natural gas also contains smaller amounts of natural gas liquids (NGL, which are also hydrocarbon gas liquids), and non-hydrocarbon gases, such as carbon dioxide and water vapor.

Coal is primarily used as fuel to generate electric power in the United States. In coal-fired power plants, bituminous coal, sub bituminous coal, or lignite is burned. The heat produced by the combustion of the coal is used to convert water into high-pressure steam, which drives a turbine and produces electricity.

Nuclear energy originates from the splitting of uranium atoms – a process called fission. This generates heat to produce steam, which is used by a turbine generator to generate electricity. Because nuclear power plants do not burn fuel, they do not produce greenhouse gas emissions.

Listed are three types of sustainable energy
Biomass energy—Biomass energy is produced from non-fossilized plant materials.
Hydropower—Hydropower is electricity produced from flowing water.
Geothermal energy—Geothermal energy is heat from the hot interior of the earth or near the earth's surface.
It would be nice if my power company would have more sustainable energy. They have several solar producing areas in my county, but progress takes time.

It's always interesting to review what we take for granted.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  2:41:09 PM  Show Profile
Rea Nakanishi (Lacey, #8284) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Leave It Better Than You Found It Merit Badge!

“Why is the stewardship of the earth important?
To preserve all the beauty we get to enjoy everyday for our future generations.

Why is it important to keep our outdoors free of litter?
Not only is litter unsightly and capable of ruining our experience in nature, it also poses danger to animals that may ingest it. Often litter on a trail ends up in a river and we all know where our rivers lead to. By removing litter from mountain environments, we are ensuring that it doesn’t end up in our oceans. The problems in the areas of roadways, nature, and waterways to me is always a lack of respect and responsibility. Maybe if we adopted the Japanese way of cleaning in the schools, where they take 15 minutes daily to clean one's environment, we would have more respect for our roadways, nature, and waterways. When my children were in Japanese school here in the states this practice was still enforced.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2021 :  1:12:06 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“There are 4 main types of yeast: Active dry yeast (the most common type of yeast found in grocery stores): fresh yeast, instant yeast, and rapid dry yeast. There are more than 1,500 species of yeast, but the species we're concerned with for bread-making is saccharomyces cerevisiae, derived from Latinized Greek meaning "sugar-fungus." This group of yeasts includes strains of baker's yeast and brewer's yeast, responsible for producing our favourite carb-heavy treats: bread and alcohol. They work by feeding on sugars and converting that food into carbon dioxide (and alcohol, given enough time), giving your baked goods that soft, airy structure you love and your beer that bubbly nature.

I had fun in the kitchen making a Basic White Bread (with dried yeast, caster sugar, melted butter, a blend of plain white & spelt flour, salt and egg) and a fruit loaf (with dried yeast, white bread flour, warm milk, sugar, dried apricots, raisins, lemon zest, egg, and salt). I then decided to convert the fruit loaf to a recipe using baking soda and baking powder. I found a recipe in The Grand Central Baking Book that had most of the same ingredients that I was looking for. Their recipe was for an Irish Soda Bread (with all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, orange zest, caraway seeds, currants, butter, buttermilk, and egg). The Irish Soda Bread was a little denser than the fruit loaf using yeast. Neither baking soda or baking powder has the strong lifting power of baker's yeast. It was still a delicious result.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2021 :  1:13:52 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“We’re fortunate to be able to grow a number of root vegetables in our area:- carrots, beetroots, radishes, garlic, onions, sweet potatoes, potatoes, and kohlrabi.

I went for a wander through my local grocery store to see what root vegetables were available. I found carrots, beetroots, fennel, garlic, onions, 2 varieties of sweet potatoes and 5 varieties of potatoes, ginger, turnips, celeriac, turmeric root and rutabaga. Sadly, many of the root vegetables at the grocery store were grown in Victoria and South Australia, so have travelled quite a distance to get to my local store. There were 2 main farms listed: Marrone Farms (SA) and Lamattina Farms (VIC). If I shop for vegetables at “The Paddock” or at our local farmer’s market, I'm able to buy more local produce from the Lockyer Valley and Darling Downs Regions. I prefer to buy local produce not only to support our local farmers, but to better care for the environment through less travel miles. A local product is ultimately a fresher, and often tastier product.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2021 :  11:08:44 AM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I hadn't done any quilting for such a long time, so I decided to start with something fairly straight forward. I have a great pattern for a series of table runners. I bought the pattern in Victoria, B.C. Canada many years ago, but I found it very easy to follow and have had reasonable success with it each time.

I've enjoyed this process so much, that I decided to make several table runners as Christmas gifts this year (a great way to work on my Homespun Christmas merit badge at the same time). I have now made a total of 5 table runners and will now be ready to continue my quilting journey and tackle something a little more challenging. I've been working on some embroidered squares for a throw quilt, so that will be my next project.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2021 :  11:10:12 AM  Show Profile
Cindy Kinion (AussieChick, #6058) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level BakeOver MakeOver Merit Badge!

“I've continued creating a few more Bakeover recipes for my Expert merit badge:

Breakfast Bakeover - Dried fruit (apricots, apple, prunes, pears) and marmalade - cooked to a compote consistency. Then I used the crust recipe from MaryJane's Ideabook p. 91, substituting GF flour.

Lunch - Middle-Eastern Lamb Bakeover (brown onion, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, lamb mince all sauted together), add pine nuts. Once cooked, serve with fresh mint and plain Greek yoghurt.

Dinner - fennel, sweet potato, goat's cheese, onion, garlic, capers, dried chili flakes, tomatoes, oregano;

Dessert - plums, brown sugar, and orange juice (roast until soft) then top with crust.

I posted my BakeOver recipes on the Chatroom under Merit Badge Chit Chat.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page