Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2023 :  08:49:06 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Glamping Merit Badge!

“I set up a canopy on my patio. I searched through my house for things to glam it up. I went to thrift stores and antique stores to search for items to add. I shared pictures on Merit Badge Chit Chat.

We have never enjoyed using our patio because we thought that it was ugly. It is still ugly (the previous owners painted it in an odd way), but we enjoy sitting outside more since we added cute furniture, pillows, blankets, plants, flowers, and a fire table! We put up lights, and found some solar lights to add to it. Now we enjoy sitting outside in the evenings and reading outside during the day!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2023 :  08:49:57 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Stargazing Chicks Merit Badge!

“I observed the night sky for several days. I picked out the brightest objects in the night sky. I learned how to tell the difference between a planet and a star. I learned to identify several of the constellations and the major stars in each. I diagramed my favorite constellation. I also learned about degrees of arc and how to measure and estimate them.

I am constantly observing the night skies. I love astronomy and actually studied it in college! I have identified the Moon and all of the eight planets through a microscope. Stars appear to "twinkle" while planets do not.

I can identify many of the well known constellations, but my favorite since I was six years years old is Orion. My Dad taught me to measure degrees of arc using my fingers when I was a kid. It was the method that we used to find and identify constellations and tell each other where to look for an object in the sky.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2023 :  09:07:37 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Public Service Merit Badge!

“We hold elections annually in November for our subordinate Grange. For the past five years, I have been elected as the Danville Grange #85 Master.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2023 :  09:09:03 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Differing Abilities Merit Badge!

“I drove around my town and took some photos of areas that accommodate people with disabilities. Everything I found to be in order to make it as accessible for those with challenges.
Signage was good, ramps and access points were visible. For the vision impaired there were the ground raised dot surfaces to alert them before the step into a road. In my own home, I need to install a grab bar by the shower.

I know many people with disabilities because I work in the field of home health care and hospice. I assist them and use their devices 5-6 days a week. I take my clients to medical and dental appointments, shopping, out for meals etc. Those who are homebound I make them as comfortable as possible and engage them throughout the day. I feel what I have learned through many years of work helps make me a better person and care giver as I interact with those who have challenges.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2023 :  09:10:08 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“I completed my journal for the week of 3/26/23-4/1/23 tracking how much tv we watch.
My husband watched 19 hours and I did not watch any TV all week. The shows he watches are either movies or TV drama action series like NCIS.
Our totals were 19 + 0 = 19.

We live on a ranch and always have many things to do, so our time could be spent fixing and repairing, weeding & cleaning. Currently shearing llamas & alpacas etc.

Our children (3) are grown and out of the house so the next part of the badge to interact more with your children did not apply.

Ten new ideas:
I want to spend more time with our rescue dog, go to the park, make fudge, do fix it projects, short walks, play games, gardening, tree cutting, burn piles, make bread, detail our vehicles, tractor disc the pastures.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2023 :  09:45:50 AM  Show Profile
Silena Anderson (#8544) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We have a pretty large homestead. We have been doing this for 9 years but these last few years we have really put our heads(and hearts) into growing our little slice of heaven. We have food sources of all kinds.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2023 :  09:47:36 AM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (TinaTina, #8431) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“I assembled first aid kits and revamped the boxes we had with items we may need along with fire extinguishers in the kitchen, shop area, and work truck. We also checked our smoke detectors every spring and fall during spring ahead/fall back weekends.

I think this merit badge turned out good because it's a necessary part of safety.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2023 :  09:50:44 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Lend a Hand to Families Merit Badge!

“I've been working on this badge since September 2021. To visit the elderly, I work in home health care and hospice so I'm with clients 5-6 days per week. I do the shopping, cleaning and help with personal care needs. Some of my current clients are: Betty, Carolyn, Arlene and get this - MaryJane (no relation)

I planted a window box garden on 3/2/22 for Arlene. I babysat 3 children on 3/28/23 while a fellow sisterhood member visited her husband in the hospital. I played Legos with the youngest, then made dinner, took out garbage and recycling. Cleaned the kitchen and counters. Then brushed teeth, used restroom and dressed for bed. When mom got home she just needed to do tuck-ins and read to them for bed. It was fun. I ordered cloth diapers to donate to the local Womens shelter Shepherds Gate for abused women with children.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2023 :  09:53:51 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“I planned a family weekend getaway to visit our youngest grandchild out of state for Easter.
We left California on a Friday for the 10.5 hour drive to Oregon. On the trip north, we stopped in Redding to visit the Sundial Glass Bridge. It is an actual working sundial for 4 hours of the day. The bridge is made of glass so you can look down at the Sacramento River as you cross. It was raining and the glass was slippery so we did not walk across. That night we went to dinner and the hotel.

Saturday morning we visited the Guinness Book of World Records Smallest Park in the World: Mill Ends Park. It is 2x2 feet, has one small tree and a flower in the middle of a busy street located in the center median strip in Portland Oregon.

Next we drove towards Salem Oregon and stopped off at the Wooden Shoe tulip farm in Woodburn Oregon. Unfortunately, due to cold weather, the tulip bloom is delayed for another month so we drove around looking at Christmas tree farms. By 9am we were in Salem to visit our youngest granddaughter who is 9 months old now.

After our visit, we went to the Oregon State Capital to see the Golden man on top. The statue depicts an Oregon pioneer man. The bronze sculpture is 8.5 tons covered in gold leaf, 22 feet tall, installed in 1938. We then got back on the road to drive the 10.5 hours home to California.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2023 :  10:14:05 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Rocks and Minerals Merit Badge!

“My husband and I visited the San Bernardino County Museum. There is a very nice display of rocks, minerals, and gems. I was able to identify quite a few of them ... having been a rockhound most of my life has paid off! I add to my rock collection whenever I find one that I really like. I've shared my collection and love of rocks with my children and grandchildren, and also my students before I retired.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2023 :  10:14:45 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Rocks and Minerals Merit Badge!

“I collected at least 10 different rocks or minerals. I identified each as either rock or mineral and jotted down my observations. I have kept my eye out for fossils or gemstones.

My husband and I have quite a nice little collection of rocks and minerals. We are retired teachers and love to collect special rocks! We have rocks, minerals, gemstones, and fossils in our collection. We are always adding more! Our son-in-law is also a rock lover! Our gifts to him are usually rock specimens.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2023 :  10:16:08 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“I contacted my local power company to find out how my power is generated. I compared and contrasted different methods of energy production (natural gas, hydroelectric, coal, nuclear, and sustainable energies). I also shared some of my findings and thoughts on the Farmgirl Connection in Merit Badge Chit Chat.

My local power company, Southern California Edison, gets its power mostly from natural gas, nuclear, hydro, and solar production. they also source energy and local grid support from third parties.

I compared and contrasted all of the types of power listed above. I found out that sustainable energy sourced from wind, solar, and water is the cleanest form of energy. It can be sustained without jeopardizing energy needs or climate. It is available for all future generations. There are higher up front costs involved because we have relied on other forms of energy instead of building up facilities to produce these forms of energy. However, even with these costs, it is still a more viable alternative than continuing to use natural gas and coal.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2023 :  10:17:16 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Carpe Cocoa Merit Badge!

“I read the book Great Moments in Chocolate History by Howard-Yana Shapiro, the Chief Agricultural Officer for the company Mars, Incorporated. It was published by National Geographic. I chose it because, while it has a history of chocolate, it also has a recipe section at the back of the book. I've already picked which ones I want to make! Yum!

I tasted chocolates, dark, milk, and white. My favorite is dark chocolate. I also tasted a chocolate bar that was 92% cacao. It was very chalky and a bit on bit bitter side, but I enjoyed it.

I learned that white chocolate (my least favorite) has no cocoa solids in it only the cocoa butter (a pale yellow vegetable fat). Milk chocolate is made with milk. It has chocolate liquor, milk, and at least 25% cocoa. My favorite was the dark chocolate. It contains no milk and is usually between 30% and 80% cocoa solids. It is a source of antioxidants.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2023 :  10:29:34 AM  Show Profile
Hannah Frankowski (Ginnybelle, #6994) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“To earn this badge, I learned the difference between baking powder and baking soda.

I made three different quick breads using different flours and leavening agents.

I think it all went pretty well! I was surprised to learn that baking powder was actually made from baking soda. I always assumed they were two completely different things.

I made Maple Tree muffins using 1/2 white and 1/2 wheat flour. Baking powder was the leavening agent and the muffins turned out good, but very dense.

My second bread was Boston Brown Bread muffins using rye flour, cornmeal, and whole wheat flour. The leavening agent was baking soda activated by buttermilk. They also turned out very good. They were less dense and more crumbly.

My third bread was Maple Blueberry Skillet Cornbread using white flour and cornmeal. A combination of baking powder and baking soda activated by buttermilk was used to leaven this one. It turned out very light and crumbly and oh-so-delicious.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2023 :  10:30:45 AM  Show Profile
Hannah Frankowski (Ginnybelle, #6994) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“To earn this badge, I read up on the different types of yeast that were available.

I also made two different yeast breads and one of those breads remade as a quick bread.

My first yeast bread was Anadama bread using molasses, white flour, cornmeal, and active dry yeast. The first time it didn’t rise, I think because I overmixed it with the mixer. The second batch, I mixed and kneaded by hand and it turned out perfectly. It was a little on the sweet side and made fantastic breakfast toast.

My second yeast bread was Rye Bread. I used white flour, rye flour, and active dry yeast. At first I was afraid it wasn’t going to rise, but after giving the dough a little extra time, it rose fine. We used it to make sandwiches and it was the perfect consistency for that.

My last bread was remaking the rye bread as a soda bread. The dough ended up being VERY sticky and hard to work with, but ended up baking just fine. It turned out really dense, more like a scone. Not at all light and airy like the yeast version. But still delicious to eat!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2023 :  10:31:59 AM  Show Profile
Hannah Frankowski (Ginnybelle, #6994) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“To earn my badge, I researched the difference between Cruelty free and organic health and beauty products versus commercially made ones.

I have started to switch out some of my health and beauty products. I made an Chai Spice Sugar Scrub from a recipe I found on Pinterest.

I've been trying to use natural and organic health and beauty products for a long time, but for this badge, I doubled down on my label reading and found a few of my products weren’t as natural as I’d thought. I started swapping out some of the products I’d run out of, namely shampoo and hand cream to start. I found a shampoo bar from a company I really like and decided to try it out. I am on the fence about it. I feel like it leaves a residue, as do most other natural shampoos I’ve tried over the years. But it does better than some I’ve used and I really like the idea of no plastic packaging or bottles, so I'm going to stick with it for now.

My hand cream has been replaced by a product called Badger Balm by the same company. Now that stuff works magic on my winter hands. It is a little greasier than lotion would be, but it seems to work better at healing chapped and cracked hands. Plus, I adore the wintergreen smell.

The Chai Spice Sugar Scrub was easy and fun to make and smells AMAZING. It almost makes me want to stir spoonfuls of it in to my coffee! It seems to work ok at exfoliating and leaving my skin soft. It uses coconut oil, which leaves a residue on my skin after rinsing, but that seemed to help moisturize. It also leaves a light, very pleasant lingering smell on my skin. The downside is that my dog now wants to follow me around and lick me. Apparently he is also a Chai Spice lover.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2023 :  06:59:34 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Build It Green Merit Badge!

“I familiarized myself with ways to decorate my home that is green. While doing this research, I discovered ways to make subtle changes in the way I decorate my home. We are actually incorporating some of these ideas into or renovations as we continue to renovate our home. We are starting to work on a full kitchen redo, and we are using green construction methods and materials.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2023 :  07:00:25 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Build It Green Merit Badge!

“I shared all of the things that my husband and I are doing to renovate our home on Farmgirl Connection under Merit Badge Chit Chat. We are so happy that we are able to use green construction items and techniques. We are also getting rid of our debris using more green methods—recycling, reusing and donating where we can.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2023 :  07:23:42 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Canning Merit Badge!

“I researched the different types of canning available and how PH and heat relate to each method.

I found three types of canned food. I read the ingredients lists, and from the packaging type and product inside, determined how I thought it had been canned.

I researched the types of canning. I knew about water-bath and pressure canning, but had never heard about the atmospheric steam method. Personally, after reading about the atmospheric type, which can be used like water bath canning, I would prefer to use the water bath method because I am more familiar with it. Water bath canning is used for foods with a PH of 4.6 or below as they require a lower temperature to destroy the bacteria. Pressure canning is used for foods with low PH (4.7 and below). Pressure canning heats to 240* that is required for low acid food.

The three types of foods that I found were peaches, three bean salad, and chicken gravy. I think that the peaches and three bean salad were water-bath canned and the chicken gravy was pressure canned.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2023 :  07:25:32 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Apples Merit Badge!

“I looked up the history of the apple, how it got to England, and how it came to the Colonies. I found ways that apples have been used in everyday life for generations. I researched apples that are grown in my region of the United States and made a list of three varieties that can be eaten, used in canning/cooking, and cider making. I tried four apple varieties from the grocery store. Finally, I shared new things that I learned about apples on the Farmgirl Connection.

I discovered that apples originally came from Kazakhstan. Malus Sieversii is the DNA matched ancestor to the apples that we eat today. Seeds were brought to the colonies by the Puritans of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Apples have been used in many different ways for generations, e.g., baking/cooking, eating raw, making cider, and feeding animals. The apples that I tried are Cosmic Crisps, Golden Delicious, Fugi, and Anna. I enjoyed all of them, but I think that I still like Granny Smith apples the best. I really enjoyed working on this badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2023 :  07:26:33 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Food Allergy Awareness Merit Badge!

“I researched common food allergies and found statistics about how many people have certain allergies. I made a list of family and friends who have food allergies. I found common foods to which my Granddaughter is allergic.

I found out that some of the most common allergies are peanuts, milk, shellfish, fish, soy, and wheat. Other things to which people are allergic are tree nuts, eggs, corn, sesame seeds. I found out that there are also people allergic to something called triticale which I found out was a is a cross between wheat and rye.

My Granddaughter is allergic to gluten. My Daughter is allergic to coconut. My husband is sensitive to cilantro; he gets headaches when he eats it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2023 :  07:27:23 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Food Allergy Awareness Merit Badge!

“I altered three family favorites to remove allergens. We tasted and enjoyed them.

I altered our Santa Claus cookies, which are my Daughter's favorite. Instead of coconut for the beard, we just used frosting. She loved them.

I altered our spaghetti for my Great Granddaughter. We used gluten-free noodles. They were a bit more expensive than the regular pasta, but the new noodles were really great! We had gluten-free cheese bread, too!

My husband and I have found that we can substitute green onions for the cilantro in the salsa that we make. It does taste different, but we still enjoy it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2023 :  07:34:17 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Joplin (Nancy Joplin, #8352) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level MaryJane's Better Butter Merit Badge!

“I learned about the best practices for handling cream and butter.I researched the history of butter. I learned about different methods of making butter at home.

I learned that it is important to keep everything as clean as possible. Washing hands often is important to minimize bacteria. Use clean utensils and storage containers. Using the freshest cream possible is also a great tip!

Fun facts that I learned about butter are:
1. Linen wrappers or napkins were used in Philadelphia markets to wrap the butter. These wrappers were often washed, ironed, and returned by the customers to the dealers in the market stalls.
2. Farm wives often used butter as barter in exchange for needed household items.

I learned that butter can be made at home in several ways. Food processor, mixer, and canning jar shaker are three of the methods that I learned could be used. I have a small Kilner butter churn that I plan to use to make my butter.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2023 :  07:44:23 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Public Service Merit Badge!

“For Expert level, I was elected the past 5 years as our Danville Grange Master. We hold our elections and votes in November each year.

I read the book Free Lunch by David Johnston. It was not my type of book to read so I struggled getting through it. The saving grace was that each chapter had a different story. The whole book dealt with government and economics. For me, the best chapter was on the Amtrack train crash and how CRX was able to pass the cost onto our government and back onto us, the tax payers.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2023 :  07:45:37 AM  Show Profile
Candy Hogan (Tigger9777, #8283) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Community Action Merit Badge!

“I wrote a letter to our local editor of the Oakley press publication. Our Oakley senior center is in danger of shutting down due to lack of funds.

I was interviewed by journalist Sean Tongson for an upcoming car show fundraiser we are hosting on May 6, 2023.

I shared with others all the fundraisers we are putting on for the center.
Since February we have raised over $26,000. My hours needed for Expert level are 10. I have exceeded 41 hours to date.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page