True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  4:43:37 PM  Show Profile
Lori,
I think you should give whatever you want to whoever you want. Does Neice #2 have to know what you give to Neice #1? I don't think so. If #1 has greater need and you want to help her out by giving her some extra stuff, that's your business. If #2 finds out somehow and says something about it, just tell her that #1 needed it and she didn't, and you are pretty sure it wasn't anything she (#2) would have been interested in anyway.

I hate having to give gifts to people...unless they are really close to me. It is always a tricky business. I don't really like getting gifts either! Is that wierd?

First spinning lesson went well. Do you believe the lady sent me home with a spinning wheel to practice on? It is a beautiful walnut that came from her property and was made by some famous spinning wheel maker. I was a nervous wreck on the way home! It was seat-belted in next to me in the pick-up! We both made it home safe and sound!

Monica, so sorry about your mother's loss (and yours). As one who left home before my 18th birthday and lived far away much of my adult life, I certainly nderstand. It is the hardest to be far away when especially sad or especially happy things are going on. My mom is gone now, but I still miss her a lot. Rejoice in the fact that you can still be in contact with your mom, even if it is just by phone. I am sure you are a great blessing and a comfort to her.

I am happily tired tonight! Hope everyone else is happy tonight, too.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  4:56:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Monica, I just read back a few posts and realized you lost an aunt. I am so sorry for your loss. I will pray for peace for you and your family.

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  5:51:27 PM  Show Profile
Lori I agree give #1 what you really want to do. #2 still whatever you want but don't feel you need to be equal. I do let things weigh in such as if one needs more and also the appreciation factor. Nothing will really thrill #2 so why knock yourself out??? You know the saying life isn't fair so give #1 all you can with huge amounts of blessings and best wishes.

Monica sorry to hear about your loss, hugs and prayers to you and your family.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  7:39:01 PM  Show Profile
Whew, I am so far behind here. I am dragging after working today. We finished the haying yesterday and got it the two racks of small bales covered. It has been from dawn to dark for days now and yes you are going to here me say it....I hope it cools off and rains!

Brenda, sounds like you are off to a good start. That was very nice of the lady that is teaching you to spin. Oh, I would love to get a copy of your soaker pattern. Ang really wants me to knit some for her.

Monica, sorry about your Aunt. I will pray for you and your family. On the other hand congratulations on your Etsy sales.

Lori, I am funny about gift giving. I am like Brenda about gifts. I like to just give and Angie is even a bigger giver than me. I would give what I wanted to each of them. But I would give with more happiness to #1. I get graduation announcements from very distant neices and nephews or cousins every year. I have to ask, who is this? I finally said, enough is enough and quit sending gifts. To me that is like just asking for money...sorry but I wouldn't let my children send out announcements to everyone. Just call me cheap or tacky.

Brenda, the guy that shears for me lives in Monroe City. He wants a whole day of work when he comes this far so I get all the neighbors scheduled to shear on the same day. He did 70 head for me, 15 at 2 others and about 30 at another guy. He shows up at 8 and has mine sheared in about 2 1/2 hours.

Girls, this old lady probably isn't making sense, got to get ready for bed to be able to work tomorrow.

Later
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  7:54:21 PM  Show Profile
I am so behind in reading up on everyone's posts. I'm sorry that I missed about the loss in your family, Monica. My sincere sympathies to you and your Mom.

Lori,I agree with everyone - give what you want to give as #2 probably isn't going to be satisfied with anything you give. Give from the heart and let the chips fall where they may.

Glad to hear that you got your hay in, Sarita. You must be just exhausted.

How cool that you are going to have both cows and sheep, Rae. I miss having cows but since I have to buy hay it just isn't feasible for me to have them right now.

Looks like you are hooked, Brenda!!! Spinning becomes an addiction really fast. How wonderful that you found a great teacher.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  9:01:25 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers about my Aunt! What makes it really hard is that I have been very homesick lately and it has been so long since I had seen my Aunt Nancy that I hardly remember her! Right now I just really want ot go back home really bad, but even if Gary said yes we can't afford at all to just pack up and go!

I did meet up with Julia in town today after my doctor's appointment and we had a great time! She quilts, sews, spins and felts!!! We are also both from Ohio and miss it terribly! She grew up not to far from where I did but I think she is at least 10 years younger than me! We are definitely going to get together again soon!

Lori, I would say to give whatever you want to Niece #1, but maybe you could give a few things at the shower and giver her the rest as a going away present and honestly I would not worry about what the other niece thinks! It is hard to know what to do when you know that most likely anything that you do get may not be liked! I maybe would get a nice little picture frame or something like that and call it good! I know I am being ornery, but a lot of times they have some really cute little baby things like that at the dollar stores! grin!

Brenda, I am so glad to hear that you had a great time! I had to laugh when you said you had the wheel belted in! I have done that before!

I hope you all have a wonderful evening! I just got home from town a bit ago and I am going to go get something to eat and crash on the couch next to hubby and relax!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  8:05:29 PM  Show Profile
It's been very quiet around here lately! I hope everyone is well and having great weather!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  8:24:34 PM  Show Profile
Well I don't know about the rest but I just returned to the farm after watching the grandson - so that means catching up on everything. It is amazing how if I am gone to two days if seems like a week of work waiting.

I am waiting on the new chicks, anytime between today and Saturday so that means I have to be off the computer so the post office can call... I am so excited it is hard to stick to my work.

Been working hard at the carder - made about two dozen new blends and hoep to get them on Etsy this week too. So that is what this gal has been up too - how about the rest?

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  11:01:39 PM  Show Profile
It's feeling like fall around here so I have been still cleaning - I have been on a real sort and purge track. It feels really good to get rid of stuff and clean out all the nooks and crannies. It's been so cold - low to mid 60's during the day with wind and into the high 30's at night but no frost yet thank God. I actually had to fire up the pellet stove to take the chill of the house the past two mornings. It's supposed to be warming up again though starting tomorrow. I am not ready for cold weather yet. I still have one more fleece to pick and wash but the weather hasn't been cooperating. Hopefully next week will be better.

Hope your chicks come tomorrow, Grace. I love baby chicks - they are so precious.

Hope all is well with everyone. How is the house coming along, Monica?

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  06:46:15 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for everyone's input about my nieces. Right after I posted, my computer monitor decided to shut down, never to power back up again. Thankfully, mom had one stored and let us have it. I talked to my mother in law, and she is going to be following the same route as I plan to follow. If the head of the family says it is okay, then I am not going to worry about it!

Sheri, I would love to have your cooler weather. It was over 100 degrees Monday and I don't know how much more humidity the air could hold. It is supposed to cool off starting today. We have had a few tiny rain showers, but only a few tenths when you add them all together.

I am almost done with my part of the flags for the school band. Then I can get back to working on fleece. I really want to card some more of the coopworth/BL cross. Mom snatched the last batch I got done, but I don't mind. She is so generous with what she has, she is welcome to whatever she wants. It spins up with a little creamy streak running through it and I am picturing a pretty cabled scarf when I get some more combed.

Some of you may have seen them, but mom ordered two of the tiniest turkish spindles I have ever seen. They could both fit in your hand at the same time. She is spinning some beautiful lace weight yarn out of past Phat Fiber boxes. They almost look like they belong in a doll house!

I think we are going to sell off the black cotswold cross ram and replace him with a full blood white one we have found. His fleece is just not turning out. Instead of soft and curly like it should be, it stiff and hairy. Most of it is without crimp, just straight and rough. He is a real sweety, too, which makes the decision hard. The wensleydale wether we got is growing great fleece. I am so tickled over it. He still won't let us pet him. I really think that bath right off the bat messed with his psyche towards us.

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  1:20:53 PM  Show Profile
Been busy here in Wisconsin as well. While it has cooled down a bit, looking forward to fall weather. Raining here now. Got the haying all done, no rain either. Been working on apples lately. Juicing mostly. I have plenty frozen from last year. Got potatoes dug already, before it rained. Tomaotes are almost done too. Nice to get all caught up. Got the equipment washed down and put away. Been doing a little spinning here and there. Throw in some sewing as well. So always soemthing going on. Did a little babysitting too! Grandkids are a blast.
Take care, got to go close some windows
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  5:22:16 PM  Show Profile
About to get my second wind, a very cold rain moved in about an hour ago and now the sun is breaking out as if to light the world under the old dark gloomy sky. September is here!
I picked one of the yellow pears on the way to the house when I got home from work...sweet and juicy! Anyone have a pear butter recipe? We don't have lots of pears but several.

Lilly and little Rambling Rose and Cinnamon have went right through the electric fence into the hay field and then on out of the barbed wire fence to the cattle pasture....uuurrrrr!
I get my bucket and a little feed and here they come, get them back in and they find another place to get out. I am being Tested!

DH mowed off the garden, no canning left overs into vegetable soup this year. This just wasn't a good garden year, in fact, I have never had a year like this one.

Girls, DH finished baling for his sick brother 3 days ago. He baled, mowed, raked, moved equipment from early am to dark for weeks and even took on one of the construction projects, and was oiling the equipment and hurt his back so he has been down for a couple of days. My BIL and SIL came after their equipment yesterday. DH was talking to his brother and BIL said that his wife had said, "they need to mow their yard." Heck yes we needed to mow our yard but have not had time to mow because we were haying for them... She also asked about a week ago, "where is my cabinets?" Hubby has been building cabinets for her but had to stop when bil got sick to cover his work...what do you say to someone like that? I see red and have to turn away so that I won't say words that can not be taken back later. Thanks for letting me vent!

Tomorrow is Friday and labor Day week end. What are your plans?

"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  6:30:40 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone raise Tunis sheep? I don't have the patience to look back through 170 pages of this thread! LOL! ;)

"The ideal equestrian has the courage of a lion, the patience of a saint, and the hands of a woman."
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  7:30:17 PM  Show Profile
Saita, are you going to go to the Jamesport Heritage Days festival at the end of the month? I will be making willow baskets at a table next to the lady who is teaching me to spin. She kind-of talked me into it! She said they needed a basket-maker. If you go, visit me at my table!
Sorry Brew Crew, I am raising Icelandics. Do you raise Tunis sheep or are you thinking about it?

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  8:25:45 PM  Show Profile
No Tunis here with me! Tunis is not that big in Colorado... Do you have them or doing research??? We will all help as much as we can.

I have great news - CHICKS are home!! So it has been a perfect day here... I posted on my blog about them...

Brenda I wished I could visit you are the festival - have a wonderful time and hope you sell a ton..

Sarita I am so sorry to hear about you SIL - sometimes we get those folks to test us and I agree sometimes you would love to just unload on them but you know it really never changes that person and it just will have you sinking to a place your better then. I might be tempted to say "We would have loved to mowed our lawn but with all our extra responsibilities helping you it was not top on the list but you seem to have extra time so knock yourself out" But I would say it in my head, smile and walk away...

Michele I am so happy you got your hay done and all your goodies processed - it feels great to get caught up.

Lori I am releived to hear that you have the neice issue resolved - those things can be very tricky but I look at it if you come from a place of love and truth then it is not an issue of how folks view it. Besides you know that those who are unhappy people will never feel you did it right. You have a kind heart and that is what matters most.

Sheri the last two mornings I have had to do morning chores with a sweater on but I sure LOVE it... Hope the weather calms down so you finish your last fleece - it never fails when I have outside work it is either so hot I can't move or a storm kicks up and forces my inside - I guess Mother Nature has other plans for me that day. I try to not let it get to me but who are we kidding - I want what I want when I want it....

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2010 :  03:42:52 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I am so excited for you. We want to hear all about your babies...and put pics on your blog as soon as you can so we can see the little lovlies!

Sarita, I'm with Grace. I find there are so many people like your SIL...but God knows what you've done and HE will bless you for it. I am sure. We all have the same human desire t respond un-kindly, and sometimes we do, but being "Christ-like" is all about over-riding the human response! Who says being a Christian is for the weak! They don't have a clue the strength it takes to hold back a tongue!

I am happy for EVERYONE who got their hay done! A year ago, I would not have been able to relate to that! But now I sure can!

It really turned cold here last night, so I, too am happily sporting a sweater, long pants, and socks! LOVE IT!

Practiced my spinning last night. Very nubbly! And twisty! I think I need some more lessons! LOL!

Have a great day all.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2010 :  07:05:33 AM  Show Profile
Chicks are all doing great! I did post on my blog with pictures. They move so fast it was hard to get a great picture of them close up. Was very cold here last night so I went into the shop every two hours to check, give clean warm water and more feed. Poor sweet hearts felt the cold off the floor so went and put several wool blankets under their large tub to keep the cold away and moved the heat lamp closer to them. So far so good

Brenda just remember that lumpy bumpy yarn sell for a pretty penny and I have to give lessons to folks who have mastered the thread spinning to get them back to making the lumpy bumpy - so enjoy that you are spinning designer yarns... Hope you get as much joy out of spinning as some of us do - it is my center. I tell folks when I am spinning I am in total harmony with the God spirit - it is my connection. It may sound strange but for me it is my truth...

Hope everyone is getting this colder weather - I must say I have socks on this morning and a light jacket to do chores - Perfection to me others are gripping... Had my herd of elk pass thru this morning and the bulls are just breath taking. Their calling the girls and it is music to this gal...

Enjoy the day ladies.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2010 :  09:03:41 AM  Show Profile
Grace, After I wrote that, I checked out your blog and saw the chickies! So cute.
I have heard that about spinning...that once you learn to do it "right" you will not be able to go back and do the lumpy stuff again!
I will try to enjoy it while I can still do it that way! LOL!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2010 :  09:21:23 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, I have the soaker patterns copied and ready to mail. I'll put them in the mailbox tomorrow morning and they will be on their way. One is called "Pretty Party Pants", but it looks a lot like some of the soakers I have made, so I included it.
Let me know when you get them, and I want to see pictures when you get some made!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2010 :  11:07:52 AM  Show Profile
Grace ~ I am so jealous that you can see elk! That is one of the most majestic creatures in my opinion. We have elk in Arkansas,way east of where we live, and I love to go see the herds of them. We have a neighbor across the valley from us that raises all kinds of critters like we do, and I got really excited the other morning when I was turning the chickens out because I could hear and elk calling and I just knew he had got a couple! I was about to jump in the suburban and take a short drive around to his side of the valley to see them, when Stan's big ole black simmental bull came out of the thicket in the pasture, and I'll be darned if he didn't cut loose and sound just like an elk! Course, then he started growling. I guess he was on the prowl for the ladies. Stan heard him that evening when we were feeding and said, "did the Primms get some elk?" I had to laugh out loud because he is never the one to be fooled!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2010 :  12:28:44 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Brenda, I know Angie is excited about me making her some soakers. Hope she is feeling better. The morning sickness has really slowed her down. We talk every day and she was some better yesterday.
We may go over to Bethel tomorrow sometime, not sure what time. I will try to make it to Jamesport and stop and visit with you.
Molly, I don't have Tunis but I know a vet at Edina Mo. and his family were big into showing and raising Tunis. I have not seen him for a year or two. My neighbor has a Tunis ram. The wool that I got from them has been soft as butter.
Grace, I will go to your blog to see your chicks...I love baby chicks, hens and roosters...Danny just put his big old foot down and told me enough is enough, no chickens...he is a machinery man and I am an animal woman and we have been discussing that for 40 years. I win sometimes and I let him win now and then so he can feel like he is the man of the house. (hehe) I just pick my battles.
Got to run to town tonight for feed and mineral. What company sells sheep mineral with brewers yeast in it?

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  07:25:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sarita, no chickens? What would a few more critters be? Besides chickens do provide hen fruit! My Eddie helps me get whatever I want, truthfully! Though I have to do almost all of the work, he does benifit from fresh milk, eggs, and meat. It is alot of work though. I think Eddie would rather live in town, less work. Have fun Brenda, and practice your spinning. While mine is not the best yet,it is getting better. I always called my yarn, unique novelty yarn. Grace hope you are enjoying your little peeps. They are so cute. Lori elk would be great to hear. Though a bull growling is pretty cool too! Mine does not do it very often.
Going golfing today. Never done it before, and don't know a thing, but Eddie's boss needed another group for a golf outing they host. They do a scholarship, in honor of their son, whom they lost. Should be interesting.
Got some honey to harvest this weekend,and really need to mow the yard. So it is hard for me to leave with all the work that still needs to be done. I wish I could get over that feeling!
Big Jake is home for the weekend from college. Youngest son Tyler will be stopping in too. So busy times.
Have a great weekend.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  1:24:06 PM  Show Profile
Peeps are doing wonderful!! Had a great night of a bit more sleep - they are starting to find this place home... I love my elk herd but a couple years back they males got into a fight and trambled my telephone box to the ground- Quest guy said that was a new one on him. The elk do not stay here long and my deer stay all year round so I am always entertained. I think they also know that I am the only one around here who will not shoot them so they feel safe here.

I spent the morning moving 2 dozen heavy cattle panels to keep the animals out of the front drive - tired of cleaning up llama poop piles infront of my shop doors. I then moved all the wood pallets to their winter spots so when I finally find hay they will be all ready. I have on the list today also to recaulk the chicken coop and get it ready for a fresh coat of paint. I will also be building a nursery for the chicks to move into when they are a bit bigger. I have the front mint bed to cut down - the grasshoppers made a big mess out of it. So today I am "farmgirl with a cape and hammer"... Girl power all the way! Sure wished a had two more hands but I do the best I can with what I got.

What projects are on your list this weekend?? Also, what is cooking in the kitchen? I am completely in a rut and need some ideas... Share if you have the time.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  3:56:28 PM  Show Profile
I got to see some Black Bellied Barbados sheep today! Not many sheep here, so when we see a "Sheep For Sale" sign, we just have to stop. Turned out to be the father of a girl we both went to school with. He had a pregnant ewe and two rams. Their colors were gorgeous - wish they grew spinning wool!

Grace - not much cooking going on here, it is just too hot. Today is the first bearable day we have had in a long time. I actually had the windows open this morning until about 11. Made Mexican Chicken casserole a couple of nights ago, roast with potatoes and carrots and homemade bread last night, and either spaghetti or sausage, eggs and biscuits tonight. If it stays cool, potato soup will be on the menu in the next couple of days.

Got more worms in the sheep. I just don't understand. They have all been wormed. We are now up to Cydectin. I hate having to go with the big guns, but I hate the thought of losing sheep even more. The Wensleydale wether and the Cotswold ram both have swollen jaws this morning. I am so thankful that the Lord saw fit to give us an easy to read external sign that something is about to go terribly wrong! We also had to take the c-section cow back to the vet. She is now officially a money pit. She has an infection, which we about half expected to have to deal with, but the vet is confident she will recover well. She will come home Monday sometime. At this rate, I may plead to let her stay on as a pet. Besides the money, we have a lot of worry and care invested in her now.

Off to go spin!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  4:49:01 PM  Show Profile
Grace, it was so nice and cool that Greg wanted soup last night, so I made chicken tortellini soup...yum! It was fish-N-chips with cole slaw and applesauce the night before that.
The World Sheep and Fiber Festival was interesting. It was very small, but that is probably good for my first such event as it wasn't overwhelming for me. I got to talk extensively to one woman who raises Icelandics down in the Missouri side of the Ozarks, and also visited with a lady from outside of Kansas city who raises polled Icelandics. I am buying a ewe and her ewe lamb from her. She ended up with a horned ewe (from a friend) who she bred to one of her polled rams. She had twins...one polled and one horned. She's keeping the polled lamb but wants to part with the ewe and the horned lamb. We have been emailing for a little while now, and it was nice to finally meet her. Both ladies were a plethora of information.
I'd say it was worth going, but don't know if I would go again except as a vendor. The one lady did tell me that the fest was under new management this year and it was MUCH better than it was last year. I guess they are trying to bring it back to life.
Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page