oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  09:39:58 AM  Show Profile
Okay, so what is everyone up to? It's been a very quiet weekend around here! Hope everyone is doing well! We just went and looked at the house and pretty much everything is dry walled so it just needs sanded and painted and the carpet put in! I am so excited! We moved some things over to the motor home by the house so that when we actually move we won't have much to take!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  09:55:46 AM  Show Profile
That's wonderful news, Monica! I'll keep praying the progress continues.
Greg got home yesterday...and the pie was delish! He loved it (and so did I)!
I have been busy weaving willow baskets for the Jamesport festival which is this Saturday.
Hope everyone else is doing well.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  10:58:50 AM  Show Profile
Great news, Monica!! It won't be long now. It has been rather quiet here the past few days. I have been processing green beans for the freezer. I've also been knitting on my socks - an intricate color pattern from the book The Enchanted Sole that I received for mother's day. The socks have a tree of life design knitted into the leg and a leaf pattern on the heel and a 1x1 stripe pattern. I am doing them in black and purple tonal and they are turning out pretty well. I don't do much color knitting as I prefer lacy or textural patterns as they are quicker to knit - at least for me. I also made some Zucchini bread and grated some for the freezer for future loaves. It's been dark and rainy here - got almost an inch of rain yesterday, a real gully washer.

Would love to see some pics of your willow baskets, Brenda. How big are they and what styles do you make?

Have you gotten any rain yet, Grace? I'd send you some if I could.

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  11:15:45 AM  Show Profile
Well, I have had the computer on the outs again and so bright and early I had to wait to 10am before he opens up but the computer is in and let's hope it is something simple. So I am typing like a mad women at the library to get orders pulled and emails answered.

This weekend I completely redid the shop at the farm - will take pictures when the computer is working. Then I also spent the time go back and forth to the coop checking on the chicks. I am such a worry wart but they are doing fine and those three hour checks in the night I think it helping. It has been cold here at night but the last two days we broke record highs during the day. Today they are saying it might get to 96 - let's hope not.

Monica I am so excited for you - keep us in the loop. I had a dream about you packing up and moving last night - wore me out...

Have a great day ladies and hopefully I will have a computer to talk with you all later on.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  11:41:40 AM  Show Profile
We left yesterday morning about 5:30 to go to Missouri to bring back the last three sheep for our farm. Came home about 7:00 last night with five instead. She had a black and silver full blood shetland and another one of the BL/shetland crosses like several that we already have. Stan offered, and she bit, so we loaded them up and brought them home. The Border Leicester ewes are cocoa powder color, the ram is white (needs a good bath and picking - I don't know what he has gotten into, but it looks like he was bailed up in the hay bail with the grass). The Shetland is gorgeous, and not nearly as wild as the ones we already have, and the cross, well, lets just say we got our money's worth out of her. Stan went to pick her up, expecting most of her fluffyness to be wool, and I wish I would have taken a picture of his face! He couldn't even reach around her! She will slim down, I hope.

Grocery shopping all day today - I'm with Monica - yuck. I would have rather been home combing wool.

Off to read for a little while until time to go to work. I hope you ladies have a good evening and that it is cooler where you live than it is here!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  12:32:43 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, sorry that I have not got on for awhile...busy. We are headed out to another ball game tonight. Grandson is playing both Varsity and JV. Keeps us running.
I am buying another BFL ram this month. The girls look fat and sassy. We have been talking about selling some of our Shetland flock. I have too many ewes at this time. Lori, you should have driven on up and got a few shetlands from me. Hope I can get the girls into a good home where they will be loved and petted. They will not go to a killer!
Knitting on a Red Barron hat for the granddaughter, it is really looking cute.
We got a storm and 4 plus inches of rain on Sunday morning. After running all week to ball games and Danny to Columbia Mo to see doctor, and working, I was exhausted over the week end.
More later
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enought to be given a square deal afterwards." Theodore Roosevelt

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

granitelakegoatgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Amy
Libby MT
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  7:49:28 PM  Show Profile
Well, have to cut up a box of peaches... consider my breeding strategy cuz I have seen some swollen vulvae(is that even a word!) and not really sure if I want feb babies! Maybe I;ll hit the next cycle for the first on, Tasha, my 3/4nubian, loud, obnoxious, 5 syllable screamer. It's a love/hate thing. She stands so still on the stand and milks better than any nubian I have had yet!!!!! How many gaots are you ladies breeding this yr! I have a Togg/Sannen cross I have to decide to breed or not. WOuld be to Saanen buck. Half a Snubian too and have to decide which way to go on her!!!!

~Amy~ THE BEND IN THE ROAD ISN'T THE END OF THE ROAD UNLESS YOU REFUSE TO TAKE THE TURN

Wish I could stay home more to be a fulltime homestead wife/mom....SOMEDAY! Part time will have to do for now!
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  2:39:30 PM  Show Profile
Hey everyone - I finally got my stove and it actually is the right one and it works!!!!! Finally. They even showed up an hour earlier than scheduled so my dog didn't have to hang out in the shop wooing for two hours while I waited for them to show up.

Did you get your computer fixed, Grace?

Hi Amy. Nice to have another new farmgirl - welcome to the thread.

Partly sunny here today with a very chilly wind. It's supposed to be back in the 70's by the weekend but fall is definately making it's appearance. Leaves are starting to turn here and there. Still no frost though which makes me do the happy dance.

Got a big box of wool combed and am ready to get back to my spinning wheel. I have been so busy that I haven't finished plying that lace weight that I started on awhile back. Now that the stove debacle is over I am mellowing back down and am ready to start plying again. That lace weight seems to take forever to ply.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  8:37:21 PM  Show Profile
Well I am back!! I had to purchase a new monitor (not that bad) and they upgraded the computer, cleaned up the files, gave it a all over work out. Now I still need to purchase a printer because it also bit the dust but no worries I have pen and paper still at the farm. I did manage to get a lot done in getting the shop renewed also and enjoyed not being tied to the computer. I kept reminding myself in the world of issues this is a very small one..

Glad to hear everyone is moving foreword with the work. I wished I had fleece cleaned and ready to spin but it will get done. I will be done some of that this week as well Sheri - at least I hope I will.

Amy your right - just about every Nubian I have ever known has a set of pipes of them and use them continually. Good luck on waiting - my gals would take this farm apart but then I also have many billies that would also do the same.

Lori your numbers are growing quickly - can not wait to hear more about your new additions.

Monica, when is Gary surgery going to happen? I will keep you all in my prayers. Great store about the fiber and the sink - see I told you life is softer with fiber in it! Exciting to see that your children are getting into the fiber bug - both of my boys know how to sew as well - great talent to have later in life.

Well, time to go check in on the chicks - they are doing great and I will have pictures soon - with the computer down the one's I had taken are no longer what they look like so out with the camera tomorrow.

Sleep tight everyone - don't stay up to late on the computers now

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  02:17:21 AM  Show Profile
Well, I didn't stay up late, but my body decided it was time to be awake at 2 in the morning! I had no caffeine yesterday afternoon, so that is not the issue...just one of those nights, I guess.
Grace, I'm glad your computer issues are getting taken care of. It took me a long time to break into cyber space, but now that I am "connected", I don't know what I'd do without it!
We have really been getting the rain again. I put the sheep in the barn last night because their usual bedding area under the over-hang on the side of the barn was so wet with puddles and rivers. They seemed more than happy to go inside instead!
Grace, we had talked about those books on Icelandics. I know you have been very busy and were laid up for a time there, so I didn't want to bug you about it. But, I am still interested in them if you get a chance to get them together.
Well, ladies, I hope the week is going well for all of you. Hope the rest of the week goes great as well.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  06:50:10 AM  Show Profile
Well, I don't know what happened to my last post - I suppose it is in cyberspace somewhere.

Sarita ~ quit tempting me. We don't need any more sheep! How's Angie doing? Been thinking about her!

Grace ~ I hate computer troubles. We have been without a printer for over a year now because the one we have ran out of ink, and the cartridges are so stinking expensive, I could buy a new printer for what they cost. So we haven't bought either. That's progress for you! Glad your technology woes were not any worse than what they were.

The new sheep are settling in fine. The little BL ram we named Solomon, and he won't let me pet him yet, but I will have to get my hands on him soon to get some of that vm out of his wool. We named the big shetland/bl ewe Mamie, because she dwarfs the rest of our flock with her circumference. She is going to have to lose some of that weight, I don't know how she has survived the heat of this summer in her shape. The other two BL's are named Ava and Liza, and the black shetland is Jasmine. It makes me smile to look out in the pasture at the herd. We are going to be swimming in babies come spring!

Grace, I am really gaining interest in natural dyes. The new issue of Spin-Off had an article on it, and I am intrigued. When Jessica was little we used to dye Easter eggs using onion skins and tumeric and other stuff, and I loved the colors - like nothing you can get with chemical dyes. Can you recommend any books in particular? We have black walnut trees out the wazoo, which is what the article was on, so I thought I might start there.

It is still hot here, 95 yesterday with as much humidity as the air could hold without raining. At least it was starting to cloud up at Ethan's football game last night. It is supposed to rain soon. I think I will wash Hannah's fleece today - she is our big mama cotswold. We sheared her a couple of days after we got her, so I didn't have much time to study her fleece. All of our fleeces seem to be in much better condition this year than the ones they sported last year when they came to live with us. I hope I can keep them nice through haying season. Can you believe that this time last year I had 6 boer goats, one Jacob, and two dorpers and that was it? We sure have jumped in with both feet, in the deep end!

Well, off to get busy!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  08:05:23 AM  Show Profile
Lori,
My ram's name is Solomon! And my daughter's name is Jessica! Things could start get confusing! LOL!
\I have a book on natural dies called "Wild Color...the complete guide to making and using natural dies". By Jenny Dean. It seems very good, but I have not used it, The friend who gave it to me, however, has used it. I was amazed at all the different barks and filed flowers, grasses and leaves you can usr for dying and all the different colors you can get from the different parts of the plants. I use black walnuts to make stain for my baskets, but this book goes way beyond walnuts, berries, and onion skins! It gives instructions, also, on how to prepare the dies.
Hope that helps you out.
Sarita, do you think you'll make it to Jamesport on Saturday? After it's all over, I plan to write about it and put pictures on my blog. I have already put some pictures of my first basket on there, but the light is so bright that the basket doesn't look quite as nice as it really does. I hope the ones this weekend turn out better.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  08:26:08 AM  Show Profile
Do I have books Lori - are you ready?
My Bibles are Guide to Dye Plants for Wool and Textiles by Susan Eshelman - (Not sure if you can get it anymore but I have a couple of copies in the farm shop)
The complete Natural Dyeing Guide by Marie Sugar - in the shop it is $17.95
North American Dye Plants by Anne Bliss - (Not sure if you can get this one - but I do have one copy left in the farm shop)
Dyes from American Native Plants by Lynne Richards and Ronald J. Tyrl in the shop it is $29.95
The Colour Cauloron by Su Grierson in the shop it is $27.95
The dyer's Garden by Rita Buchanan in the Shop it is $11.95
Lichen Dyes, The New Source Book by Karen Diadick Casselman in the shop it is $8.95
Natural Dyes and Home Dyeing by Rita J. Adrosko in the shop it is $9.95

There are more but those are my top one's and one's that I also keep in my personal library. I also sell all the natural dye material so after you get done with the Black Walnut and you are looking for something let me know - I will soon be also posting them on Etsy. Just still working on getting the shop in order.

Brenda I am so glad you reminded me about the Icelandic books - got side tracked and so now I will have to unearth them again. Sold some to a lady who I taught a spinning class to recently and with the redoing of the shop I have not gotten to that corner yet but will be there soon. Sorry for the delay. Only reason I could get to the dye books so fast is I was working on those last night. Best laid plans!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

granitelakegoatgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Amy
Libby MT
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  8:30:05 PM  Show Profile
Wanted to put a plug in for our local dehairing and fiber processing cottage mill 90 miles from me. I may have already mentioned it but you can(and correct me if I am wrong, I am not a spinner or fiber girl)save on shipping if you have "hairy" fiber needing to be processed cuz you only have to mail it once, not to 2 different places. It is called Going to The Sun Fiber Mill named after the road that travels thru Glacier Park near there. I will look for a link to add.

So, here was tonight's dilemma---dtr got in trouble last night for not being truthful about homework and watering bunnies. So, she has to do ,y milking chores all the rest of this week. Usuallt if they do them, they earn computer time. So, DH tells me we can go let the milkers out now, he is ready to go feed.....then proceeds to tell me he let the bucks out to graze....uh, HELLO, unless we want to play free for all fathering, sure.......it's been about a month now I told him the boys can't be out when the milkers are waiting to see me. I milk inside the yard and they wait at the gate. We still have alot of unfenced area we like them to graze weeds on. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR--it's been one of those nights. He tells me his whole day was like that--funny he sounded pretty good at 5! Maybe the same things got to him that got to me......KIDS!

~Amy~ THE BEND IN THE ROAD ISN'T THE END OF THE ROAD UNLESS YOU REFUSE TO TAKE THE TURN

Wish I could stay home more to be a fulltime homestead wife/mom....SOMEDAY! Part time will have to do for now!
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  2:55:52 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, we are staying home tonight...I am worn out. I have already fed the ram lambs and the skies are getting dark, they are predicting more rain tonight. I am already driving around to get to work due to the creek being flooded at Big Yellow. That adds about 40 more minutes of drive time a day.
ladies, this morning on my drive to work, a very large white ewe was in the road traveling up the side in a trot. I tried to stop her (she was heading in the opposite direction) but no go. I had to be to work, so I got to school and ask some people to make some calls to find out the owner and get her back home...she wasn't on the road coming home. I drove so slow looking for her. She stayed on my mind all day. Hope her owner got her back home.
I did get some new pictures of some of my flock on my blog. Of course I also have pictures of my grandson and his football playing as well as he was the Sophmore Attendant for Homecoming. The sheep pics are in the older blogs by now.
I am buying a new Registered BFL ram the first of next month. I still have Wally with his beautiful wool and White Knight. I am trying to buy some registered BFL ewes to breed White Knight to before he gets too old. I just love his wool.
Better get supper started and get out and finish chores before the rain hits. The weather says we will get inch plus tonight.
I promise I will catch up with the post real soon.

"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enought to be given a square deal afterwards." Theodore Roosevelt

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  9:26:13 PM  Show Profile
Brenda. One of these days I want to learn how to make baskets! I love the pics on your blog!

Grace, Glad to have you back online! You are too funny! I am getting tired of packing for real! I know I should not say that because at least we are moving! I am hoping they have the house done so we can be moved out by the 2nd of October when John comes home! One bad thing that has happened is there is a pipe that is leaking and it's a whole can of worms to fix! Gary tried to put some putty around it and $10.00 later it's still dripping! I keep telling him just to leave it because it is not a simple fix and we were going to re-do the water pipes years ago, but John didn't want to so not to be mean, but as far as I am concerned it his problem! Gary is going for surgery on November 5th! I was so glad that my green glass fell on the fiber and not the cement floor!

Lori, Congrats on the sheep! Most of the time I would rather stay home and play with wool too!

Amy, Welcome to the group!

Sheri, I am so glad to hear that you got your stove! Lace weight does seem to take forever to ply! I have spent hours plying. I guess the good thing is that in the end you have hundreds of yarns of yarn!

I hope everyone is staying dry and Grace I hope you get some rain!

I think I posted this on facebook but not here so to tell you all a great fiber story, Isaiah went to put one of my very favorite green glasses in the sink and somehow missed the sink and dropped it underneath! I would have been in tears except for the fact that I had 2 8 pound bags of Targhee/Merino under the sink waiting to be washed and the glass landed on the fiber! Praise God for fiber!

One more funny story for the day!Gary was helping Olivia with her school paper and she had to put the words in alphabetical order so he was making her say the alphabet to see which letter came next. when she got to lmnop in was so funny! she went along just fine abcdefghijk and then it was animal p instead of lmnop! I laughed so hard and Gary asked me why I let her say it that way and I told him it was the first time I had heard it!

Hope you all have a great night!~

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  04:23:09 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Sheri, congrats on the stove. It must feel great. I remember, when we first moved to Africa and our house wasn't quite finished (the kitchen, anyway, and the plumbing). I was trying to cook for all of us (Greg and three teenaged boys) on what I called a "bush cooker". It is basically a propane tank with a single burner screwed on top! I think I had to cook on that for a couple of weeks before my stove got hooked up. I guess I should be thankful...I didn't have to go out and build a fire to cook on three times a day like many of the women in the village did.

Monica, thanks so much for looking at my blog. Someone asked me awhile back to see pictures (can't remember who it was) and I completely forgot to tell them to check out my blog! I will post more pictures after the Jamesport Festival. I have three more baskets almost finished, and plan to build the frames for several more to work on at the festival. I didn't get as many made as I would like, but it is a lot of work, plus trying to keep up with everything else around here. Besides, I didn't have a whole lot of notice. If this goes well, I will start right away getting baskets ready for next year!
Great story about the green glass. So glad it had a soft landing. And cute what Olivia said! You've gotta write those things down so you can remind them of it when they are older!

Grace, how're the chickens doing? Greg finally got a light put in the hen house and has it on a timer. Here's hoping they start laying again. Actually, he found a few banty eggs out in the woods this week. I told him I didn't think I'd ever get banties again. Their eggs are so small, and we have had one of the girls go missing. They just seem more vulnerable to becoming prey. They are sweet little birds, but not sure they are the best for what we want to do. We won't get rid of the ones we have, but in the future I wouldn't get them again.

I think the rain is finished now for a few days. We have had a ton. The pond is up incredibly high and it is so muddy. The puppies come in with black little paws. It makes a mess on my floors, that's for sure. So glad we don't have carpet. Oh, I posted some videos on my blog of the puppies playing and of the new sit, stay and come skills I have taught them. We worked on "stay" while Greg was away. He was quite impressed! It was not easy trying to get them both to do it at the same time...but we did it! They are really sweet puppies.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. I'll let you know how the festival goes.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  10:25:31 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. Love your baskets, Brenda. It was me that asked to see pictures. I have tried to weave baskets out of willow myself but without good results. I only weave from prepared cane but would love to learn to do it from the willow on my place.

Sure is looking more like fall this morning - leaves starting to turn here and there. I have a big box of green beans to snap and process. So far no frost which is good but also unusual here. My sheep sure are enjoying the cooler weather and are a lot more active during the day. The two new ones are still real skittish around me and haven't warmed up to me all that much. Hopefully this winter when they are more confined. The others are like lap dogs and stand in line for scratches and kisses but only from me. If there is anyone else around they stay aloof.

It was supposed to be sunny today but of course it's not. Hopefully we do get the warm sunny days they predicted for the weekend as I want to do some dying and want to be able to lay the wool out to dry on the racks. This will be my first shot at dying wool. I am using the Country Classics. We will see how it goes. I have been putting it off as I didn't want to buy more dye stuff as I have so much of the fiber reactive dyes already but decided there was no time like the present so will jump right in.

Glad to hear your computer got fixed, Grace and you are back on line. Sounds like your chickens are doing well.

Sounds like you are really close to moving, Monica. If I was closer I would gladly help. You always know who your friends are when it comes time to move!! Love the alphabet story - kids can be such a hoot.

Sarita it sounds like you have been running races with yourself. Handsome grandson you have. How is Angie doing? I hope she is feeling better.

Congrats on the new Sheep Lori. Sounds like you are getting quite a flock going.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  12:11:21 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I love your baskets! I have a book on making them and would love to do it someday! I really do need to write down things the kids say but most of the time I forget! I do remember one time that I was telling Isaiah to get out of something and come in for dinner and I said "Get out and get in" and he gave me this strange look and said " mom that's impossible" then I realized what i had said!

Sheri, They have the outside painted and they have the paint for the inside! I really wish they had painted the outside white, instead it's kind of a cream color! It's not bad and Steve already had the paint! I guess the trim is going to be green so that is cool! I will have to see if they got the inside done when I take stuff over to the motor home! I am so excited about things finally getting done! Isn't it the truth about friends when you are moving!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4080 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4080 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  2:01:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. Brenda your baskets are great. MOnica you have such nice looing yarn and fiber on your blog. Sheri how did the dyeing go? Hope you had great success. I hope to get playing at that again here one of these days. Good luck with the move Monica. Rae did you get your cows yet?
We have had 3 1/2 inches of rain the last day and a half. Plenty of flooding going on. We live in the hills so doing okay. Creeks were all over their banks. Hoping it will dry out a bit now. Hoping to get my bull shipped here one of these days. But have to wait till we can get the trailer backed up to the corral, without cutting everything up. Also waiting on my Jersey cow to calve. She is due on Tuesday. Hoping she holds off, as we are planning on going to Duluth on Sat. to watch our son play football. Can't wait for the fresh milk and cheese again.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  4:29:03 PM  Show Profile
oh Michele, I am envious of your fresh milk and cheese. We had discussed a dairy cow, but I just don't think I can take care of one more thing!

Beautiful baskets, Brenda - you have such talent.

Drove a bus back and forth all day today. I really don't even want to go feed tonight. Wednesday I did manage to get all of Hannah's fleece washed. She was a dirty girl. I will still have to re-wash some. I am bad about cramming too much in each lingere bag, thinking I will get more done faster, only to have to re-wash. Her fleece is soft and crimpy, not like regular cotswold. She has romney and ramboullet (I am sure I mispelled that!) in her heritage, so that is probably affecting her wool. I am very pleased with it, though. I started with four ounces and did not have much wasted when I combed it. When I get it carded I will weigh it again to see. I bet I have 3-4 pounds total now that it is skirted.

It rained here today. One toad-floater came just as I got on my bus and it decided not to start, so I had to run get another. Good thing I didn't do my hair any fancy way this morning!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2010 :  4:11:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Ladies! Unfortunately, the festival was a bit of a bust. The weather was lousy and there weren't many people there. The old timers told me it is usually hot and they have so many people they can't get into the street. I did get several compliments and people watching me weave, but didn't sell anything. They asked me to come back next year and demo again.
There were several spinners and weavers there. Nobody seemed to be doing much business. Just an off year, I guess.
Have you ladies found, though, in selling your handmade items, that a lot of people just don't get the amount of work that goes into those creations? The only people who seem to appreciate what you do are those who do it themselves? Of course, they don't want to buy, because they can make their own. Everybody else wants to buy it from the dollar store (made in China) for a dollar!
Hope you all are having a good weekend. I'm tired of the rain ):

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2010 :  5:31:10 PM  Show Profile
Michele, thank you for the compliments!

Brenda, Sorry to hear that the show did not go well!I know what you mean about selling stuff! I think sometimes you just have to work at finding your niche! While there are a lot of people who don't want yarn because they do it themselves, there are also a lot of knitters and crocheters who want hand spun yarn and have no interest in doing it themselves! You just have to keep at it and not get discouraged!I think also sometimes if you do fiber shows you get more of a crowd looking for fiber as opposed to yarn and you may need to gauge your product according!

The house just needs painted and carpet put in!!! I am so very much praying that we will be moving in next week!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2010 :  6:16:21 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, sorry that your day at Jamesport did not go well. I really like your baskets. Was the big craft thing going on in Chillicothe today or was it last week? The weather was not good here, cold and rainy. Enjoyed your blog with you puppies, they are so cute.
Sheri, are you cooking up dishes just for the joy of using the new stove? I don't think I could go very long without mine.
Monica, glad you are getting ready to move.
Grace, glad you have your computer up and going again. It is hard to operate anymore without the computer.
Angie is doing better today. She has been having a rough time, hope she gets out of this stage soon.
We have been running and doing and I think I maxed out, been down since last night...I know better and should have slowed down when I started getting tired.
Lori, we are down to 54 degrees and it has rained all afternoon, have your temps dropped yet?

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2010 :  6:21:31 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, Tell Angie that i am praying for her!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page