oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  7:34:55 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, Sorry to hear about the run in with the skunk for your dog!

Lori, Hope Stan has a great birthday!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  03:18:05 AM  Show Profile
Ugh...skunk. I hope to avoid that disaster here. I suppose it is inevitable, though. Eventually it will probably happen.

Hello, Ladies! I have been keeping up with the reading, just been too busy and too tired to "speak" the past few days or so.
Monica, The dizes are great. If I learn how to use one I will definately add one of those to my list of things I want to buy from you!
Lori, enjoy your books from Grace! I'm hoping my books from Grace will be on her list to send next! No, Grace, that's not a very subtle hint, is it? LOL!
Yesterday I used a drum carder for the first time. That was a truly amazing thing to see. I really cannot wait to start working with my own wool.
We are having a good week so far. The hens are laying again...we had 5 nice eggs yesterday and three the day before.
AND...The most exciting thing of all....Our daughter Jessica and her family will be here tomorrow instead of Friday from Germany! I am so excited i can't hardly stand it! I have so much to do, and half the time to do it in...but I don't care! They are gonna be here sooner and we will have two extra days with them!
You may not hear much from me while they are here, but I plan to be keeping a photo journal of their visit and all of our adventures together on my blog.
I hope you all have a great week.
Praying that Monica's house is ready soon, Angie's morning sickness comes to a speedy end, and Sarita gets the rest she needs. I hope I haven't missed anyone.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  08:32:51 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, I am so excited for you to see Jessica and the rest of the family! I have 2 carders and I love them! Don't know what I did with out them! Thank you for the compliments on the diz's! Gary made me some more yesterday and I need to finish them and list them and I still need to get the spindles listed. Gosh there never seems to be enough time to get everything done! I just finished plying 810 yards of lace weight yarn. I hope you have a wonderful visit!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  11:06:14 AM  Show Profile
The guy that is finishing the house stopped by to talk to Gary this morning and said that the house would be done this week! Please pray that it really is! Oh my gosh, if they actually finish it up, I think I will cry! It has been a year since we first started on it! I never imagined that it would take so long!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  4:40:22 PM  Show Profile
Can you use a diz on batts of wool? Or just off a comb? Just wondering how you ladies use them.
Good luck on the house Monica.
Have a great time Brenda with your family. Drum carders sure are a time saver!
Lori, we have had lots of coyotes around this year too. But they do say that if they are around, the wolves are not. So I guess it has it plus's.
Sheri did you freeze? We have a few times.
Got some plowing done today. Now need to get out and disk, if it don't rain tonight. Hoping to get some wood cut this weekend. Trying to get all the fall work done, but it is tiring.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  6:51:21 PM  Show Profile
Michele, I use my diz on batts! I generally will roll up the batt from one side and then kind of gather the fibers together on one end and start it through the diz. I am going to do a video as soon as I find the duct tape to keep my kids quiet while I do it! Just kidding! sort of!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  7:25:16 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,
I hope that i don't miss anyone.
Brenda, I am sure you are getting giddy waiting on Jessica and family. I know you will have a good time.
Monica, so happy for you and the house about done. Sounds like you are very busy, how in the world do you find time to home school?
Lori, sounds like you have a plan. It is soon going to be breeding season. I will go pick up my new BFL ram this week. Worming and vaccinating all the ewes before breeding.
It has been a long day today. Wy played football last night and we went to watch him. Tomorrow we have a flu vaccination clinic at the school so today was spent organizing the paper work and setting up the room for the clinic. Tomorrow will be a very long day.
Angie is feeling some better, still pretty queazy.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enought to be given a square deal afterwards." Theodore Roosevelt

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  9:16:46 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, I am a meanie! I make the kids do it no matter what! I will be praying for Angie!

Please keep the miners in Chile in your prayers! They just pulled the first one of 33 up! Please pray that the rest of them make it up safely! 3 of them are up now!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Oct 12 2010 10:17:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  11:58:04 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone,
Again it has been a long time since I posted. I had an amazing road trip this summer with my daughter and was hoping to post the highlights here and then the highlights of my trip to visit my son, but the shadow that is hanging over me seems to be cutting off the sunlight of the good times. I am going to ask all of you to please give me some of your wisdom and insights as we go through the difficult process of losing the farm. For the past 18 years we have been raising sheep and running a 4H educational farm based program, but as renters our position has always been precarious. And now we are in the position of seeing the farm in the process of being subdivided and developed. Fortunately I have a year to figure out where our beloved animals are going since this will be a long process. It is going to be painful to disperse the flock and know that no one is going to love, cherish and care for our flock the way we did. Many of the animals are old or special needs and that makes it even more difficult. The other aspect that is so hard is ending the programs I run for children. Many inner city children come to work on the farm with the animals and gain exposure to animals and farming. Many boys especially who are unsuccessful in school come to the farm and find their niche and a sense of accomplishment and self esteem. Then there are the children who lease animals and the children who board animals. Right now I run an animal science class and some boys who have difficulty in school were sent to me to take the class and their schools are waiving their science classes in favor of their completing mine which is hands on and learning by doing. I have one boy who rides three buses and walks a mile every day to come to me from the inner city...It takes him two hours one way...So far the backhoes have come to dig deep holes in the pastures to test for perks and the need to put in two septic systems and two wells. The County is asking for 4 acres to be reforested and this is just the beginning....We will be losing the ram pasture first so I need to first find homes for the breeding rams. My own daughter is distraught over losing her animal friends. Some of the animals will be difficult to place...Here are some mini biographies of our friends: Some of you may remember our dear Denali that I posted about a year ago. A gorgeous black Romney ram large framed with a gorgeous fleece who we nursed for an entire 6 months due to a severe penis infection. He follows everyone around like a large dog and is the children's all time favorite. He survived but with a permanently disfigured penis which makes him capable of only breeding one or two ewes. Finn McCool, our miracle baby, an East Friesan dairy ram who was the runt of a triplet group and born with scolios of the spine and a suck swallow disorder. He survived by living in my kitchen and being tube fed for six weeks. He is now a 250 pound ram who became deathly ill this summer and again beat the odds. He had an infected foot that went to a bone infection and yet that was the least of his problems. I knew something more was wrong as he became severely anemic and was losing weight. It turns out he had rumenitis, peritonitis and hepatitis and the Univ. of PA had never seen a case like his that was caught so early and we used experimental treatment on him and he survived to become the poster boy of the vet college and the subject of a lecture presentation to the vet students. Baby Freedom our Leicester Longwool ram who was rejected at birth by his mom and refused a bottle and ended up surviving by having us hold his mom for him to nurse off her every 4 hours for months and whose brother outstripped him in size and masculinity and who went on to get white carded by the breed association for having too fine a fleece and two feminine a face and carriage and so cannot be used for breeding....Lorelei a beautiful border Leicester, Leicester Longwool cross who came from a flock of a man dying of cancer and because of that she had a broken leg that was not repaired and walks on three legs and yet she came pregnant and lambed all by herself and nursed her lamb beautifully who went on to take top honors at the summer fairs...Changes are hard and changes are harder when they are not your choices. I will really miss the animals and the kids...Keep us in your thoughts and prayers, Sara
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2010 :  04:52:28 AM  Show Profile
Hello all!!

Sara I am so sorry and if we lived closer I would gladly take your animals, problems and all. How sad for you and farming as a whole!!!

Monica happy packing!!!

Been so tired when I get home from work just nothing left for anyone. Kids are getting tougher and tougher, almost all I work with this year are very high needs. (I work EBD) Got all the wood in the shed which is a big plus.
The guy that rents from us left a lot of hay on field so we have been picking it up, have a hay wagon full but will save us quite a bit of $$ on hay although it is cheaper this year than last. Sheep are quite happy to see it not too far from them Pretty sure Sally is pregnant again. She sure seems to like those winter babies! Someday will get organized here and separate them but....

Waiting on getting some cattle as well. Neighbor/relative is selling us 7 or 8 calves, all girls. Will breed them in spring and get that herd going. Sounds like we may get them this month.

Otherwise... not much new at moment. Hope you are all doing great!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2010 :  05:49:34 AM  Show Profile
Hey ladies I have a question. I have two bucks, brothers,and horned. They are both appr. 5 1/2 months old. These are my first bucks owned. I have been noticing more and more "fighting". I do not know what is I should do. I have Nigerian Dwarfs, these two boys are the begining of my herd to breed to my two females that are unrelated. I have their mom too. But will be looking to either sell one of these boys or just get a third. I got them at four weeks, along with their mom. We chose to leave these boys horned, are the horns the issue. Is it just how they will always be? They have a large pasture, two dog houses they use in bad weather. I put them on large pastures at least twice a week. But they are always together. The one, who aloso seems to be starting the worst behavior, is getting a bloody horn, often. Any advice is greatly needed and appreciated. All the books I seem to find either say little about owning bucks, or say not to because they never get enough room. I have worked hard to be sure the get plenty of room, play things and I pet them daily. Help!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2010 :  08:41:37 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I am so sorry to hear about the farm! I will be praying that you find another place where you can have all of the animals!

Rae, Thanks on the packing! I have a lot packed already, but now I don't have a clue what else to pack until we actually start to move in!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Oct 13 2010 12:49:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2010 :  4:27:39 PM  Show Profile
Sorry Angie, no help from me. Never had goats. I do have one wether that has horns. They curl the wrong way, and we have to keep coming up with ways to trim his horns, or they would go into his head. If I ever get any more sheep, I will make sure no horns. Best wishes Sara. Hope you can find another farm.
Thanks Monica, on how you use your diz. I am going to have to get one, or make one and give it a try. Hummm I only have one drop spindle, and one wheel.......everyone says they have a collection! I better get moving!
I had three boys, so I understand the duct tape!! Ha.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2010 :  5:41:26 PM  Show Profile
Michele, Pretty soon you will have more than one of everything! I have 2 wheels and 6 at my mom's that she is packing up to ship to me! I must have about a dozen spindles! I am glad someone understands the duct tape! One time when I was trying to make a video, Isaiah and Olivia both had to keep making noise! I finally had to wait till everyone went to bed! Gary just cut out a bunch more diz's so as soon as I get them painted I will list them on my store!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2010 :  6:02:48 PM  Show Profile
Sara, that is so sad. I hope and pray you find wonderful homes for all of your sweet quadrupeds.
Sorry, Angie, I'm a sheep person. Grace will probably be able to give you some advice when she sees your post.
Monica, I'm so jealous of all those spinning wheels! How long have you been spinning? I can't wait to get my first wheel!
Well, Jessica and family are in Dover, Delaware. There were s a series of delayed, then cancelled flights, but they finally made it into the US EARLY this morning. They will fly from Baltimore to Little Rock tomorrow, then drive up here on Friday. So, they will be here at the time that they had originally planned. The up side is that I had a couple more days to get everything ready. Also, when they get here they will have had a few days to adjust to the time change a bit, and maybe they will have gotten over their jet-lag, so they will not be so tired the first few days of their visit with us.
It would have been noce to have them here a couple days early, but i guess it wasn't meant to be.
Have a great rest-of-the-week, everyone.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2010 :  6:11:33 PM  Show Profile
I have been spinning for 2 years now. I got my first wheel from Grace and then I got a small vintage travel wheel! The rest of the ones at my mom's are ones that I found on craigslist and my mom loaned me part of the $$ to get them! The problem is that she is now trying to figure out how to box them up to send them to me! If I had them I would send you one!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  10:21:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Sara, how hard that must be for you. Maybe something will come up. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Grace, I got the books and I am REALLY excited! I recognized several plants that are growing right here on our farm. I just finished a batch of black walnut dye that I had steeping for a while. I have some gorgeous caramely brown roving to spin now!

Monica - I bet you can't believe it is finally happening! If I was closer, I would come help you pack up!

Our yearling heifer, Sasha, has her own pasture to keep her away from the bull, but bordered by the ram pasture and the hair sheep pasture. Every morning when I let the sheep out, I talk to them, and pet them and kiss their noses. I have to go through Sasha's pasture and into her barn to get square bales to feed the sheep, so she gets talked to also, but she doesn't like to be petted - she snorts and kicks and throws her head around if you try. But the last 2 or 3 days, this 600 pound heifer has taken to walking up to me and sticking her wet nose right in my face. Today it dawned on me, she watches me get down close to the sheep and kiss them on the nose, she can do that too! Smart girl! (FYI - we just bumped noses, her nose is a wet mess!)

Sarita - my heart just hurts for Angie. Please tell her I am praying for her. I can soooo sympathize!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  10:49:26 PM  Show Profile
Lori, Thank you!! Sasha does sound pretty smart!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  09:27:00 AM  Show Profile
Once again can I ask you all to please pray for us! For some reason Steve just seems to be completely annoyed with Gary and he is getting so tired of it he is about ready to tell Steve off! I don't know exactly what happened, but Gary saw Steve this morning and was telling him that some new people were moving in and needed the water turned on and Steve just brushed him off and said he would take care of it! Gary is really mad with him right now. For whatever reason Steve has just been brushing him off about anything and everything and he seems lately to be shutting him out of almost any work at all! Gary has spent the last almost 6 years working for him and he is really tired of all of the childishness on Steve's part and I am afraid he may just end up one of these days,telling him off! Please pray that things calm down all the way around!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  10:43:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Monica, you are just having too much frustration. I am so sorry things are so difficult. The last thing you need right now is more stress. I'll keep you in my prayers.
I thought what you said about the spinning wheels was very sweet. Some day I'll have one! Or two!

Jessica and family are on their way up from Arkansas right now. I think I'm all ready for them. I got my upstairs sorted out and cleaned. Beds are ready. House is clean. Laundry is done. Now I'm gonna take a nap!
They should be here late afternoon. I can't wait. We have lots of fun planned.
Have a great weekend, everybody.
Hope things settle down for you Monica.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  11:05:18 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, Thank you for the prayers! I think everyone ought to have a wheel! You may want to check on craigslist and see if you find anything.

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  09:57:59 AM  Show Profile
Been kinda quiet around here - guess we are all busy this time of year!

Grace ~ I've been dyeing and having a blast reading the books! I have several black walnut dyed rovings now and a tumeric one in the pot cooling. For the life of me I can't figure out how to post pics here or I would, but for now, a link is the best I can do.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34961081@N03/5093338027/

We are battling worms again. The baby BL ram and the cotswold cross yearling ewe are the latest ones to be hit. We just can't seem to keep everybody healthy, but at least we haven't lost any sheep.

Off to see what else I can get into. Everybody have a blessed day!

~Lori

Edited by - lsarah on Oct 18 2010 10:01:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  12:48:18 PM  Show Profile
Lori, I love you pics of the fiber!! It all looks so pretty!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  5:48:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Monica!

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  04:37:00 AM  Show Profile
Very pretty colors Lori. Good luck on your worm battle.

Michele
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page