lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  8:59:58 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, I have nearly worn that copy of Spinoff out already. Mom subscribes and then lets me "borrow" them (which means they never get returned). No goat babies yet. I keep telling her to sneeze and one will fall out.

We have a Dorper and Boer come down with bottle jaw in the last two days, and another Dorper, my Rachel, with a horrible messy backside. They were all caught up on being wormed. New grass, eating low to the ground, is the culprit, I guess.

Just got in from a Sunday School party. You will probably NEVER see me post this late again. It is waaaay past my bedtime. Stan is down at his mama's lighting her pilot light since the wind blew it out and she really wants a hot shower.

We bought animal and human groceries today, too. Ethan had trap shooting practice in town, so we made a day of it. Dollar General had a 25% off coupon on their store brand groceries, so I bought lots of basics, then off to the big box store for the rest. Our feed has gone up drastically. 18 months ago it was $159 for 1500 pounds. Today it was $210. It still amazes me that just the price of gasoline and diesel affects everything in the world. Literally.

Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  09:42:06 AM  Show Profile
I hope everyone is having a great day!!

Brenda, That is really awesome about the article!!!

If you all would, please keep my friend Karen in your prayers! Her health has not been good this past week and she went to the hospital last night and after they ran some tests they flew her by helicopter to Las Vegas for emergency surgery! She is having a pace maker put in! Her heart rate was really low and her kidneys and liver were starting to shut down! They caught it just in time and she should be okay in the end! She is having surgery today!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  09:52:13 AM  Show Profile
Prayers for you and your friend Monica.

Butchered the chickens yesterday and will clean coop good as new batch will be arriving next week. Grandson was over and helped and did a wonderful job!!!

Sarita we are looking at Angus as that is what hubby would like. I have a guy with 2 heifers we can buy, just need to talk about it. They are not cheap up here!!!! And I think will only get worse so may have to bit the bullet and buy and keep growing with that as well.

No planting here yet, still snow on the ground but was thundering at 3 this morning. Yes I was up, you know sleep is over rated

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  11:57:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sarita. I will have to check planting times for here. There is alot of grass and weedy stuff coming up now.

Lori, I had a few goats with bottle jaw. Scared me to death when I saw my doe's jaw. I thought she'd been bitten by a spider or snake. It was huge and swollen. Called my goat mentor and she said it was most likely bottle jaw and to hurry and get her doesd real heavy with different wormers every few hours for a day. She got through it but it was iffy. That's when I had 20 goats in a not very big area. And I hadn't wormed the does when they kidded that year either. Learned a lesson the hard way. Again. I hope yours get over it. I used Valbazen first, the Cidectin, then something else. And our feed costs are going up here too.

Monica, I will pray for your friend Karen.

Rae, good for you and your grandson. How many did y'all butcher? And what kind are you getting?

I am going to get spinning lessons in 2 weeks!! I am so excited! I need to look for all my things now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  2:24:35 PM  Show Profile
The babies were born!

We were dressed and literally walking out the door to church and the 10 year old goat whisperer said "Mom, RoseLee is squating like Molly did when her babies were born". Shucked out of the church clothes and off to the pasture. Two beautiful baby boys, and we still made it for the second service! Kinda felt funny telling folks that we were late because a goat was in labor.

Kristen - Yipee on the spinning lessons! If you are like the rest of us, you will be hooked!

Rae - cows are expensive everywhere this year. That is why we went ahead and sold older cattle and kept all of our young heifers. My hubby is....was...a tried and true black Angus man until I married him. I like red cows standing in a green pasture. I whined enough that he bought me my first red crossbred the year after our daughter was born. I have had at least one red one on the place since then.

Monica - I will say a prayer for your friend. Praise the Lord they caught the problem in time!

Take care everyone!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  3:51:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh those babies are so cute!
Kris have fun with those spinning lessons!
Rae cattle prices are up right now. Start with 2, and numbers will double once they calve! I have polled hereford. Right now I have been hearing that those black baldies are the way to go. Angus and hereford crosses.
How is your friend Monica-pray all went well.
Sarita, and Lori feed costs are high here too. We have had rain almost all day. So taking our snow cover down. Lets not talk about the mud right now..........grrrrr.
Brenda congrats on the writing, keep up the good work!
Sheri hope your weather improves.
Angie your one busy girl. Hope you get some time to yourself before the big day. Best Wishes

enjoy
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  4:19:16 PM  Show Profile
Lori, those kids are so cute. Do you have alot of goats? My cow Mazie is a Red Angus. I love that big red girl. I'm like you and just love red. I had 2 of them and the steer went in the freezer 1 1/2 years ago. Then got a black Angus mix. She was just plain ole black. Then we bred Mazie to a black Angus bull who always throws black calves. And of course Chuck is pure black. But he's a cutie. I always said it doesn't matter what color they are as long as they look good in the freezer.

Michele, we still have lots of mud here. The only ones that like it are Pig 1 and Pig 2. When I had ducks they loved all the little ponds that we got when it rained and they would waddle through all the mud and make messes.

So has everyone here had lambs yet?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  4:45:38 PM  Show Profile
Had mine and they are posted a couple pages back thanks to Monica Minnie and Mickey are doing great.

We have quite a bit of mud too! Still a lot of snow but it lessens each day, just want it to go away.

Waiting to hear back on the guy with the heifers so.....

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  07:08:22 AM  Show Profile
Monica, I'll definitely be praying for your friend. I hope they are able to get her fixed up and get her on the mend soon.

Kris, You sure are moving right along and I have to say I get the feeling you are a very energetic woman. Maybe you could send some of that energy my way. I'm so happy you get to take spinning lessons. Mom gave me 2 wheels last summer and taught me a little, but before i could get the hang of it, morning sickness struck. Lets just say watching anything go round and round at that point was out of the question. I fear it'll be awhile before I can get back to it but by golly, I'll do it. BTW, The Shetland rams are not all that bad, they need to be kept to themselves unitl you're ready for breeding so really you don't have much to worry about unless you have to get into their lot for something or.... if they break into the ewes lot like Mom's used to. Even then, he wasn't a whole lot to manage because he had "other things" on his mind and was easy to catch by the horns. They are stubborn though and can take a shovel to the head and come right back at ya! LOL! (Not my personal experience, but someone I know, not saying any names Hee! Hee!)

Sheri, You are my kind of gal! You have the flock I want, just for different reasons. We are in a pretty well populated part of MI, so finding a vet or help, wouldn't be much of a problem. I really hope Evan likes sheep too so that I'll have a little helper. Wayne jokes that Evan and I will have matching tool belts and pitch forks!

Lori, Love the babies! They are adorable!

I'm getting closer ladies. A week from Wed, I'll be induced. I have to say, the past couple of days have been harder. I've been having some room spinning episodes and have had to sit more than I like too. The Braxton Hicks have increased too along with the painful kicks. Little stinker. I go for another ultrasound today and hopefully we'll get some more pictures of him. I have a non stress test after that and will ask the ob nurse about the dizziness then.

Have a great day ladies!

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
http://happeningsofangieandwayne.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  07:20:46 AM  Show Profile
We have been seeing buzzards, robins, and the redwing blackbirds are back, and the spring frogs are chirping...I think Spring is here! We turned off the water heaters yesterday and turned off the waterers. We will just watch the weather and turn on things as needed if the weather gets freezing again. NOT! We decided that if we want to make any money at this that we will need to get very wise with all ways to save a buck. The cost of corn and feeds could put you out of business fast. Good thing that the grass is growing some now.
Lori, the babies are so cute. I think a goat kids sound so human...one of the reasons that I can not raise them.
Ang was having light headedness yesterday. She goes back to the doctor today... more pictures of her little guy.
We have angus and my beautiful pet Sugar, she is great big and has a big calf every year..I want a hefer from her so bad. I bottle fed Sug, and she is just a big pet that likes me to pay attention to her. She is like my sheep....which speaking of sheep, no babies but some of the girls are springing so much, I think the babies will drop out anytime. But their sides are not showing the dropping that you usually see just before they give birth.
later

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  07:58:04 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. You hang in there Angie - the end is in sight. I hope all is well. My DIL is getting big but she isn't due until May. Little Ayden is giving her lots of action at night and it interferes with her sleep.

I said a prayer for your friend, Monica. I hope all went well for her. Lori, the pics of the babies are so cute. I love seeing everyone's baby pics.

I wish the weather would improve too, Michele. It's back to rain/snow mix today and tomorrow but at least things are finally melting. I would be glad to have the mud dry up though. We always joke that we have three seasons here - ice, mud, and dust! Ah...the joys of country living.

Sarita I am about 30 miles north east of Spokane. I am well away from the coast nearer the Idaho border. The birds are popping around in a frenzy here too - it sounds like spring....now if it would just feel like spring.

Hope all is going well Rae and Grace. How exciting to be getting spinning lessons, Kirsten. You will be hooked like the rest of us and it will consume all your time.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  08:08:03 AM  Show Profile
Good Monday Morning Ladies

Monica I have included your friend in our prayer circle - we had twenty additions over this weekend. I have the 3:00 am to 6:00 am prayers and this weekend was very stressful for many family with health issues. Please keep me informed so I can relate that to the group. Love, Light and Health to all...

Only one week to go Angie you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Rae I have been thinking of you often - I hope that spring will be full of joy and excitement for your new adventures. I love your Mickey and Minnie - sweet little ones

Lori the kids are so cute - looking very strong and healthy.. Congrat's.

Kris I can not wait to hear all about the spinning lessons - it is so exciting when some gets their first lesson - I love teaching that level because the light that shines from the student when they get the hang of it is priceless.. Good luck and have fun.

I am sorry if I have forgotten someone - I am still up every two hours for Wynonna and bottles. I have just been running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get orders done, make new items, get work done in our heavy winds and get the farm ready for fire danger. We have already had two major fires in Colorado and today they are saying it will be 76 degrees with 56 miles per hour winds. I hope to catch up on the topics tonight so again forgive me if someone has felt left out.

Blessings and Be Safe Today.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  08:08:51 AM  Show Profile
Today is the calm before the storm. We are in a blizzard watch starting tomorrow through Wed. Par for course though as this week will be Boys State Basketball Tourney and mother natures enjoys that week

Waiting for my call back on my cows!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  1:20:48 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the prayers for Karen! Everything went well yesterday and she is doing much better! Before the surgery she was very out of it and sleeping all of the time and after the surgery when her husband got to see her, he said that she wanted a Coke and some candy and wanted OUT of the hospital! That sounds like the Karen I know! Her kidneys are coming back up to functioning where they should be and she should be home later this week!

Rae, I am not sure I could butcher chickens!

Lori, The babies are so cute! Sounds like a good story for church!!:)

Grace,I will be praying that the winds calm down!

Kris, How exciting to have spinning lessons!! You have to show us pics!

Angie, Wow! I bet you are excited! I am praying that everything goes well and that you have a fast delivery!

Sarita, I have heard that part of the reason corn prices are up is because of the ethanol that they are making from corn so there is more of a demand! Too bad I can't do that same pricing with my yarn and then if I only have one skein and 10 people wanted it, I could just keep marking it up!haha

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Mar 21 2011 1:27:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  6:39:23 PM  Show Profile
That's wonderful news Monica - we will still keep her in our prayer circle for the week... Blessings

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  7:58:30 PM  Show Profile
Grace, Thank you! Karen is doing so much better! She takes a lot of different medicines and the doctor said that they will probably take her off about 9 of them, now that her heart and pulse are functioning at what they should be! Her kidneys are improving and it even looks like they will get back to normal which they haven't been in over a year and on top of that she is loosing a lot of water weight that was due to her kidneys not working right! So when all is said and done there will be a lot of health issues she won't have any more which is just the best news in the world! I can't wait to see when she gets home this week!
I hope you are doing well and getting some rest! :)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  03:12:17 AM  Show Profile
Getting ready for our blizzard, warning out from 1 this afternoon until 7 tomorrow night. Snowing lightly outside right now. Looks like it could be rather big They have all gone under us this year so... will see as the day plays out.

Mickey and Minnie will have their first experience with major snow!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  05:53:26 AM  Show Profile
I know about the large number of medications - my husband took around 14 three times a day... I am glad to hear she is on the mend.

Rae I will be praying that the storm is not too bad. We had another two fires start up last night - I was up and down all night checking the weather and the farm. I have such a knot in my stomach this morning I am not sure I can even get a cup of coffee down. They tell me the winds are to be even worse today - how could that be???

I forgot to say that the first of the Goat Baby Name Contests started on my blog Monday and will go for a week. This year you get to pick from different areas of interest for your prize. So I hope you might join in - you and enter as much as you would like, and anyone can play.

Stay safe today ladies it sounds like this is going to be a bumpy ride.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  5:16:41 PM  Show Profile
Rae, I hate to rub it in, but I will! We have been having 80 degree days here. It's HOT! But I am loving it. I know this will not last. It can't can it? I just have a feeling we will get a blizzard or something. It's still March, for Pete's sake. Ya just never know about March around here. But I really hope you don't get much of that cold white stuff.

Grace, I thought up a cute name for the little goatie. She's so cute. Now are all your goats the fiber type? Are they easy to shear? I can hardly wait to get some sheep now. I called the girl with the Suffolk and they have not had any lambs yet. But they didn't get the ram til the middle of November. So they have til the middle of April. I hate waiting. Then I won't get any til they are weaned. Which will be fine because the pasture will be nice and full of good stuff by then. But I might just have to put Mazie and chuck out there for a bit.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  7:53:43 PM  Show Profile
I'm back! My friend left today. We had a GREAT time. We only stopped yacking to sleep! Greg was a really good sport and just let us talk out little heads off!
No lambies yet. We were hoping one would drop while my friend was here, but not yet. Miss Daisy looks like she could go any day now, though. I'm so sure she has al least a set of twins in there. She's a proven twinner, so...I can hardly wait!
All the babies look so sweet. Your last pics of your goat twins was so adorable, Lori.
Angie, I'll be praying that everything goes well with little Evan's arrival. You are gonna be a great mom.
I am tired tonight, so I will catch up with everyone else later on. have a good one.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  05:31:56 AM  Show Profile
Yippeee Rae has the day off today Got somewhere between 6 and 8 inches only but the winds are really nasty. Suppose to start to let up around noonish so that will be good.

Lots to do around here so extra day off right now is a blessing and this time of year it will go away before too long.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  06:09:07 AM  Show Profile
Kris all the goats that I have now are fiber - Cashmere, Angora and Cashgora. I did at one time run 13 milk goats too but no longer do that - sold my group of great milkers to a lady in AZ. The Cashmere I pluck which is no trouble at all. The Cashgora goats depend on the length and most times I shear with just a pair of scissors. The Angoras I also shear with scissors but I take more time because I have to maintain the lockets for my customers. Hope that helps.
I am excited for your new adventure with the sheep.

Rae have a wonderful day off. Don't forget to put your feet up a bit.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  06:28:37 AM  Show Profile
Our first lamb hit the ground yesterday, as we were loading some calves to sell. Mother, a black corriedale cross, Sugar Top, gave birth to a little black ewe lamb just like mother. I am already calling her Maggy..after MagPie. She is bouncing around this morning.
Rae, enjoy the day off. I need a blizzard in the worst way or a reason to be home to catch up anyway.
I will try to catch up with everyone later.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  06:57:03 AM  Show Profile
Congrats, Sarita! We have cute little udders showing up all over the place here, but it the absolute earliest for babies could be the end of next week. Are you getting to make the trip to Angie's for the baby's birth?

Stan is finishing the new shelter for the ewes right now. We are on Spring Break, and trying to get much accomplished. The wind has been wreaking havoc. I can't skirt for having to chase fleeces across the yard. He couldn't put metal on yesterday for the wind. Right now it seems pretty calm, I hope it stays that way.

I finished spinning my first laceweight yarn last night. I wound it on the noddy this morning - Avery said I looked like I was practicing Kung-Fu. I am anxious to count and see how many yards I got out of 8 ounces.

I ordered dye two days ago and I am giddy with excitement! I am getting lots of new colors to play with.

Take care~

Lori

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  9:49:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi grace,
I was wondering about this...the other day my darn dog got into the goat pen. We don't know how and he is so grounded now. he is not let out unless on a leash right now until we figure it out and never can get in there again. anyway, he did not bite my doe but chased her around and my husband thank goodness was out side and saw what was happening and got him out but by then she has blood on her back legs coming from her vaginal area. She is pregnant. She is due next month. She stopped bleeding and has not had anymore drainage or anything since then. She is calm now and I am keeping a good eye on her but is there anything else I can do for her . someone on another forum said to give her vit b for stress but never said how much or anything. She is eating today and seems better but still seemed scared. won't come out of her little house,although we did just have another 8 inches of snow yesterday too. so I fed her in there and am trying to just keep her as calm as can be. any thoughts?? She is a nigora so she is not a big goat anyway and she has triplets last year with no problems at all. the buck this year is even smaller than the one I used last year so am hoping she will have no problems in the area again. She is such a sweetie I just feel so bad that she got so stressed 2 days ago.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page