windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  5:15:50 PM  Show Profile
Can any body suggest a good book about natural dyes? I have watched some on you tube, and it looks kind of fun! Gosh they use all kinds of different flowers, plants, etc. I hope to try black walnuts. This is for my own use, so would have some fun with it.
Thought I would let you know how horn banding is going........the bands are on Jacks horns but I don't see much difference yet. It has been a little over a week. The one we did tape over it, as he was rubbing it off. I had read alot of favorable results from doing it this way. I hope it works.
We were blessed today with a new little grandson. Austin 8 lbs, 4 oz, at 4:20am. We got to go visit him today, and such a little cutie. His big brother really likes him too. Such fun
take care
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  03:49:46 AM  Show Profile
Michele, I have a book called "Wild Color". It is borrowed from a friend. It seems very thorough. I don't know if it is still in print or not.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  07:29:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi Michele sorry for being so slow but bured in work. What type of plant dyeing do you want to do?? There are certain books that are better for different types of dyeing... The best beginning book is "The Complete Natural Dyeing Guide" it gets you started off right without getting too confusing.. I also like Wild Color and there is a new addition of it - have not seen it the new one but the first one cover much. I am presently reviewing the "Harvesting Color" which is a good read but not the most inventive of techquies - it I think is trying to be too Woodstock.. Once you really get going I LOVE "Dyed from American Native Plants" which is alot to read, understand and such put wonderful to really get a wide view of knowledge about the plants. If it is more on the dyeing process then I have others.... Let me know where you wish to go and I will gladly give you more. I have a couple of out of print books too and I do share recipes. Have fun and put your gloves on - some plant dyes really stay with us and also some plants you cn have nasty skin reactions to or allergy issues. I can never dye with Goldrod even when I love the resulting color.

Hope all the rest of you ladies are doing well - I know we are all swamped.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  04:12:41 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestions on the books, Brenda and Grace. I have a jar of black walnuts sitting in my kitchen. I put warm water on them, and instantly I had brown water. I am going to try dyeing some batts I have. I just thought natural dyeing would be kind of fun to play with. Grace what does golden rod do to you? I watched some you tube videos and was interested in trying this more. I also have that Japanese indigo plant.
Rae I had a couple of posts for you, but it seems they have disappeared into cyber space. Just was talking about vaccinations??
Hope things are going well for you Monica.
Got cheese going early this morning. Then going to do up tomatoes. Make some sauce.
Getting alot of fall stuff done early here. Which is a good thing, but keeps me busy.
Tomorrow is butcher day, :( I will be glad to have less work, but will miss my buddies. Part of life here, the sad part.
take care
Michele
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  8:19:06 PM  Show Profile
I hope everyone is doing well! Things have been busy as usual around here! Hopefully we will back to chatting soon! I miss all of you!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
www.justducky48.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  09:04:09 AM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies,
It is with a sad heart that I write to tell you that things have transpired that have lead us to the decision that we must sell our beloved farm, as well as our even-more-beloved animals. I have sold all of my sheep to wonderful friend who also raises Icelandics (as well as shetlands and angora goats). She will give them a great home where they will be well cared-for. The chickens are taken care of as well as the guineas. The only thing I have left is my sweet donkey, Gabby. He has guarded my sheep well. We have had not one single coyote attack...and they are plentiful here, as well as close. I am saddest of all to see Gabby go, I think. If anyone knows of someone who is intersted in a sweet, but sometimes a bit tempermental (he is a donkey after all) gelding donkey (6 yrs old, brown and white spotted) who knows how to live with sheep (or goats) and keep them safe...please let me know. He is very low maintanance...just needs his hooves trimmed once in awhile (more often in winter). He doesn't like the cold, but he does fine if he can get into a barn when the weather is really bad. I am asking $400 for him and he must be picked up as I do not have a trailer to haul him. He has his coggins already. I can get a health assessment if needed.
Hope you all are having a wonderful fall.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  09:21:11 AM  Show Profile
Brenda I am so sorry that you are going to have to sell the farm. I know it was a big dream of yours. I hope that you will be able to find a buyer easily and get what you want for it. I am sure that whatever you do next will work out even better. A lot of folks are going through re-arranging their lives right now. I hope you find a buyer for your donkey easily. Keep us posted on what you will be doing next.

I hope all is going well for everyone. How are things in the housing dept. Monica? Ready to move to Ohio yet???

It has been a long and busy summer here and just now winding down. Got the plastic up on the hoop greenhouse hoping to force my very slow tomato crop only to have the temps soar into the 90's for several days and keeping the darned thing cooled down was a challenge. But fortunately today the temps are much lower and it is raining. We need the rain so badly especially with my kooky neighbors using chainsaws and practice shooting in prep for hunting season. Now that the outside work is beginning to slow a little I will hopefully have more time to spend over here. It looks like my hay will be delivered on Friday morning so that will be crossed off my to-do list. Next to pellets for the pellet stove and emptying and scrubbing all the pots for the outside plants and getting them put away for the season.

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  12:59:19 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, sorry to hear of you selling. I am sure it was a very hard decision. But don't let that keep you from playing with fiber! Good luck. I would love a donkey, but kind of far to go!
How is the to do list going Sheri? There is always plenty to do. My own list is getting shorter. I did a small batch of sauce today. Hope to get one more batch, and then quit. Tomatoes are almost done anyways. Did up the last batch of grape jam as well. Need to get the vines pulled out of the garden yet, and pick a few pumpkins. Waiting for a nice day here to dye some of my wool, and to wash wool. We have been wet again for a few days. Hopefully this weekend.
take care
Michele
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  8:18:44 PM  Show Profile
Oh Brenda I am so sorry - I know it was not an easy decission. I am almost at that cross road too and I know how much thought goes into this. I am hoping that all will be well and you are so lucky to find great homes for your animals - that has been the only reason I have made that leap also. If you every wish to talk off thread I am here for you and will keep you in my prayers.

Monica any more news??? I have kept you in my prayers and thoughts and knew that you are up to your eyeballs so I do not wish to add to your time - just know I am here for your always.

It sounds like we all have been working so hard with our nose to the grind stone. So ladies take care, be well and blessings to all.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  6:34:02 PM  Show Profile
Hello. I have a few questions. I let my sheep out in the gargen today and they got into some weeds. I don't know the name of them, but they have a yellow flower and they are sticky. And when they are touched, they kind of explode and then you ge covered in these long things that stick all over whatver you're wearing. So now Earl the ram and one of the ewes is covered with these little stickery thingies. I tried to get them off Earl's face but it would take all day to get them off all that wool. Will they eventually come off or are they on there for good?

And one of the ewes is really vocal today. The other 2 aren't. Could she be in heat? I know cows moo alot when they are so was wondering of sheep do that. Or could it be something else? She looks fine. And she's eating. I have had the ram lamb with them since I got them. He is only going on 5 months old. Is he old enough to breed them yet? I have seen him jumping on one before.

And it's been awhile since I had sheep and the 2 I had that had lambs were so wooly I never noticed, but do ewes have udders before they lamb or is it like a goat and each one is different? Because 2 of the ewes are getting quite big but have no udder at all. They are all 9 months old. I think I got them all in June and they did say that the ram got in with them but they were only 6 months old. So that would mean if they are pregnant that they would be due in a month.

Brenda, I am so glad you found good homes for your sheep. I am hoping someone will want your sweet donkey. I am afraid of them for asome reason. So I will never have one. Or a llama. They scare me too. But I'm sure there is the perfect person for him out there somewhere. I'm so sorry you are having to sell your farm.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2011 :  04:14:42 AM  Show Profile
No help from me Kris, on your questions. I have learned that you want to keep things from getting in the fleece, if you plan on using it. It is much easier to keep them clean, then try to pick out the vegetable matter (VM) later. I always worried if my sheep were getting enough to eat. It is hard to tell under all that wool! You can get your hands in there and feel for ribs. At shearing time, I was relived to see that my sheep are in good shape.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2011 :  06:37:11 AM  Show Profile
Michele, the ewes are the hair sheep so I won't be shearing them. But the ram is more of a wooly sheep. And he is fat. I can see that the ewes are as well. So I am not worried so much about the wool as the disconfort. That's got to be itchy and annoying for them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  04:57:51 AM  Show Profile
hair sheep, will you be milking them kris?
Hopefully you can get some of the vm picked out of your sheep.
Mine try to rub on anything they can find. They also love it when I scratch them down on their skin.
Tuesday I took the time to wash my wool. Got it done! I am going to put the wool back out this morning, just to make sure it is all perfectly dry. I also dyed some of the white in the black walnut dye I had made up. It turned out to be a camel color. It was fun and now I know what to do next time! Next step is to get it all carded.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  11:45:02 AM  Show Profile
Kris - sorry for the delay - just read your post. Is there anyway you can send a picture so I can see what the VM is - there are many ways to remove plants but it will really depend on the plant...

Do you know what breed of hair sheep you have?? ARe they pure breed? If they are not then it will effect their blowing their fleece.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  12:04:20 PM  Show Profile
Kris - what kind of sheep do you have? I used to have Katahdin, until we moved. Haven't gotten set up for or purchased any yet.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  8:31:39 PM  Show Profile
I just got back from my neice's wedding in Savannah so have not been on here. I have 3 ewes that are Katahdin-Dorper. The ram is the Suffolk-Finn-Hampshire breed. He will need to be sheared and he is covered in those stickery things. I can describe the weeds. They are a tall bushy weed with sticky yellow flowers and when they are brushed up against the pod explodes in all these 1" long black needle sized things that have a stickery end that sticks on everything they touch. I have had them all over my clothes and they are so stinkin' hard to get off.

Grace, what does blowing their fleece mean? And if I had known this would happen, I would have cut down all those nasty weeds before I let them in there.

Thanks for all your replies. I am excited to have found this lady with the Finn sheep. Does anyone else have them? How are they to handle? I think I might get a ewe and a wether. Not really sure I want another ram. I could use Earl since he is part Finn.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  08:01:29 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, I am so sorry that we never got together as close as we lived. I will miss you and our sheep conversations here on Mary Jane's. Please keep us updated on your new future and I pray that God will direct you to much love, joy, peace, and happiness.

Kris, when I have heard of blowing a coat, it is usually from the sheep being sick and loosing wool. Finn sheep have wonderful soft wool that I love to spin.

I purchased a Purebred Cheviot ram to use in our breeding program to cross breed some of my shetland ewes. Samson or Sammy is a nice pretty little guy and has the cutest personality. I will not have shetland, Corridale, Border Leicester, BFL, and Oxford and all the crosses to spin and sell. I am reducing my flock down from about one hundred head to about 20 head of my best ewes and of course John and Teddy stay as well as the three ram.

The weather was so nice over the weekend and we were able to get all the lots, the barn, and feeders cleaned out. We also are setting up our breeding pens for the different groups. That was an all day deal. I sent out a large order to Pipestone for vet supplies for the cattle and sheep too. Seems funny to get birthing supplies before the ewes are bred but I want to vaccinate before breeding and be sure everyone is wormed. I have fought worms more this summer than ever due to the weather.

It seems like the time is flying and I can't get everything done that needs to be done, little lone knitting, weaving, or spinning. Butttttttt....I know the snow will go to blowing and the house time will soon allow me to get my hands into the wool that I have washed so far.

I miss chatting with you all and I hope we can all touch base more this winter. Laurie, are you driving the bus this year? Are you going to have enough hay for your flock?

Angie and Lisa and their families will be here this week so I am busy getting ready...of course my dishwasher laid down and died last week and they are delivering my new one Tuesday...just in time. I will make salads Wed afternoon so I will have time to snuggle my little grandsons.

Grace, how is your life and animals? I know you have been busy too.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The Muppet, Miss Piggy advised: "Never eat anything at one sitting that you can't lift."

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  10:40:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. Good to hear from you again Sarita I was beginning to wonder what was going on with you. Everyone must be super busy it's been so quiet over here. I too am just trying to get ready for winter. Got my hay delivered. Got my pellets in for the pellet stove. Still have some more work outside to put the gardens to bed for the winter - weed whacking and putting the rest of the pots away and the plant supports. It's already feeling like fall in earnest around here but still only three frosts which is late for us. I am just praying we have a mild winter after the past three really bad ones but with climate change and things as weird as they have been, who knows.

Hope all is well with you Brenda. Have you found a buyer for your place yet? How about you Monica? Have you found another house yet? How did you do with selling all your fleeces, Laurie? Have you done any more dying yet, Michele? I posted some pics of my dying adventures on my blog awhile back. Hope to hear from you all soon - it's been weird not hearing from everyone all summer.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  11:57:44 AM  Show Profile
Hey girls! It's been a while! I will go back and read to catch up as soon as I can find time.

We have attended several fiber festivals this summer, but none did very well. I wound up pulling out of the big one in December because it will cost so much just to go. I would rather stay home and not make money instead of going and losing money.

All of our sheep have made it through the summer okay. We sheared in September because I was concerned about fleece quality due to the heat we had, but most seem to be fine. We have one ram that is down, but we have figured out that it's probably due to fighting, and he got hit to hard. It's that time of year - love is in the air.

We are only breeding our 2 border leicesters and three of our BL/Shetland crosses this year. We still have all but 3 lambs from this spring. I didn't take them to the sale barn because no one around here raises wool sheep, so they would have sold super cheap and for slaughter probably. I could have sold my little BL ewe lamb several times over, so that is what we are breeding this year.

Sarita, we did get hay, and were lucky to get it. We put 250 square bales up (not the big ones) and we have about 30 round bales for the cattle. It was high, but at least we have some, unlike others who can't find any.

I have been busy playing with my new-to-me loom. I haven't figured it out yet, Sarita, wish we lived closer. I also traded for a Big Tom motorized drum carder. Man, does it ever card the wool! I love it!

I have to go off to drive my bus! I will try and keep up a little better!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
www.diamondbsheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  6:13:31 PM  Show Profile
No buyer for our place yet, but I found homes for all the animals. I am actually getting a divorce. After years of abuse, I couldn't do it any more, The farm was like the klast thread of hope that we coud build something...but after 28 years, it just didn't happen. So, I am on my own, now. Once the divorce is final and things settle down, I hope to get me another little farm somewhere and get a few of my Icelandics back. But, that still remains to be seen. Thanks all for your well wqishes and support.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  7:15:28 PM  Show Profile
Brenda I am sorry that it came down to that. There seems to be a lot of relationships dissolving now. I hope that you will find peace and happiness for yourself once the dust settles and you have gone through the "mourning" period that always comes with the dissolution of such a long relationship. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you will find peace and all will be well with you.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  07:38:59 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, I am so sorry, I pray everything will work out for you.
I will have to read the back posts also. I am sooooo far behind.
This summer we went to Michigan 3 times and spent a week each time, went to Nebraska and spent a few days and then our latest trip was to Wisconsin. We have seen so much beautiful scenery and met so many nice people.

Ang and Lisa's families will be here tomorrow for a visit so Nana is excited and can't wait to get my hands on the babies and my sweet Lexi.

I have several nice ewes for sale and most are pets, if you know of anyone wanting wool on the hoof, these girls would make wonderful pets. email me at rocnbarc@cvalley.net

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The Muppet, Miss Piggy advised: "Never eat anything at one sitting that you can't lift."

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2011 :  10:56:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh Brenda. I am so sorry to hear what you have been dealing with. I cannot imagine. But your faith is strong, and He will see you through. Do not forsake the plans God has for you. I will pray for you!

Sarita - if I didn't have too many sheep, I would be tempted by yours. With keeping the babies, we are overgrazing what we have, which I am ashamed of. But we are between a rock and a hard place. We are going to move eventually to my 60 acres of family land, but we need to help out with Stan's mama,so we will remain here for now.

Mom came over today and we made batts and batts and batts. My dining room table is full of the kind of fiber you can't eat! Guess we will eat in the den tonight.

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
www.diamondbsheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  04:30:19 AM  Show Profile
Hope all is going well Brenda. I am sure you have had a rough summer.
Lori sounds like you had a grand time with your mom. And got lots of work done!
Good luck on sales Sarita. And enjoy your family visits!
Sherry hope you get all your fall work accomplished.
My list never seems to end. But I have gotten alot done.
I did get my fiber all washed, and dyed some of the white wool with the walnut dye I had made. Turned out a camel color. It is fun to see what I end up with. I did get that wool carded. Need to get spinning, and card the rest of the wool.
It is been cold and windy here. Feels like winter.
Did anyone get the latest MJF mag.? The lady who raises sheep talked about a natural wormer she makes. I went on her website, and one she used to make was crushed garlic, molasses, and corn meal. Was thinking of trying this. Anyone have any thoughts on it?
Michele
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  10:33:54 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, I am so sorry that I did not catch this sooner! I am praying for you that things will work out even better in the end!

Sheri, We are hoping to move in the spring! I am praying we do make it to Ohio, but I am not completely sure of what Gary thinks so I just keep praying!

Grace, You are always such a blessing that any time I spend with you is just a delight and lightens my load!! :)

Sarita, I really miss chatting with everyone here too! Hopefully we can all get back to chatting! I got your skype request the other day, but I did not have skype in my new computer yet! I had to get a new one after my old one got a nasty virus and crashed!

Lori, That is so awesome that you got a Big Tom! I would love to get one someday!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
www.justducky48.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Oct 30 2011 10:45:44 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page