Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  09:35:26 AM  Show Profile
Grace I will go out and check my lambie pie out for creepy crawlies , hopefully not cause I am taking her to the shearer tomorrow and I don't want anything on her when I take her to his place.
Also, I was looking through sheep breeders in michigan and some of them off course were commercial breeders and some said club lambs. What the heck is a club lamb? Bev

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  10:33:52 AM  Show Profile
Well grace I went out and looked and I did not see any creepie crawlies at all. I have been using Vetrx which is a natural oil stuff to get rid of ear mites just in case that was it. But of course those creepies are too small to see so I can't really say if it was those. Our flies this year are not bad. We do have some but the chickens help keep them down. I started the Vetrx yeterday and you put it on for 3 days so today is day 2 and it her ears and around her eyes do seem to look better so maybe that was what it was. My goats ears and eyes are just fine so she did not get them from her. She must have come with them. I have only had her 3 weeks. Any other suggestions...???

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  1:39:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Bev

Club Lambs means they are breeding for the 4H and show curcuits. The commercial breeders are filling the meat needs of large producers. Club Lambs are also the breeders who are asking 1,500 for a lamb because the breeder states you can win shows with them - they also sell mostly the breeds that are in the local show books. Hope that helps.

As for the scapes I would really have to see them before I would know how I would treat them. I only once had a scab on an ear of a sheep - it was from a thorn that went into the skin and then it infection at the site broke it formed a scab. Do you have a picture of it?? That sure would help.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  1:46:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks grace, I will take a picture if that would help. But the scabs are on the inside of the ear and then smaller ones around the outside of her eyes. there is more than one and they are on both ears on the inside and then around the eyes.

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  07:36:40 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning gals, hope your weather is as beautiful as ours. Sun shining and in the 70s right now going to upper 80s but we don't have that high dewpoint...don't even need the AC.
Thanks so much for the recipe, Sheri...I am going to bake it today. Plans changed and they won't be here until tomorrow. This is his first birthday as our son in law and we want it to be special.
I still have a couple of ewes limping, I treated them for foot rot and they got better but started limping again so now I have found a vacine and will give them all shots Wed when the med arrives. Talked to the vet Saturday and he told me once they get foot rot it is very hard to get rid of. I have a plan now...We will trim the hoofs again, give the whole flock a shot of the vacine and move them into another barn...(my husband's tractor barn). It is a big shed that we moved equipment out of and fenced off part for the sheep. The contaminated barn will be cleaned out completely, let stand empty for 6 weeks, new bedding put down before the sheep can come back. Vet also said that with all of the wet weather we have had that it has set up the ideal environment for foot rot. Wow, I have never had this problem before, one of my brother in law's cows had it last fall and they got her into the lean to of my sheep barn to treat her...and now I am paying the price. The vet said that the sheep wouldn't get it from the cows...that was a piece of worthless advise...wish he was paying the bill...the vacine is costing $126 for this bottle and in 6 weeks I will give the second dose (another costly bottle of vaccine) besides all the treatments and wear and tear on me and the ewes. (Thanks for letting me get that off of my chest). Has anyone else had foot rot and if so, how did you get rid of it?
Grace, happy that you have made lemonade from sour lemons. Glad that your fiber is cleaning up and you can salvage it.
FiddleChick, how is the restoration of the new wheel going? Were all the pieces there? How lucky you are. Glad your sheep are able to stay cool. Part of my sheep barn was a milk barn at one time and it has concrete floors and the sheep love it in the 100 degree weather. I also like it because I can clean up daily by scooping out the manure and hosing it down to clean it and keep the flies out.
Jamie, can't wait to hear how things went..
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  07:39:14 AM  Show Profile
Good morning girls. I am back from Camp Pluckyfluff. It was a great class and I learned a lot. What I really learned is that there are few rules when it comes to this artsy yarn and that it is all variations of a theme to get the different effects. The best part was being at an awesome fiber store/warehouse and being able to pick up some core spinning material in huge cones that will last a while for a good deal.

Another thing I learned about is blending on the carder. Throw in a bunch of odds and ends (tinsel, shredded money!, literally anything that will card up), run through the carder once and spin it up with some of the techniques and you get a wild yarn! I'll put some pics on my blog later after I play catch-up around here.

You've all been busy since I've been gone just 3 days! Grace, those pods were amazing to hear about. I'd be so embarrassed to send something like that out. I'd rather take it to the dump than sell that.

FiddleChick, what a deal - free wheel and a daughter who enjoys spinning. I'm a tad bit jealous!

Sarita and Rae, hope you're keeping cool and sounds like you're getting in some great spinning time this summer, Sarita. I'm happy for you. Glad you got your sheep Rae. They sound super.

Beverley, no telling what is eating up the ears on your lamb but a cotton swab with something mild you would use on yourself probably wouldn't hurt it.

Sheri, have you been to Paradise Fibers in Spokane? If not, you need to go, girl. They have just about anything a spinner would ever want. Wow. Not enough domestic wool though and I told the owner that. He said he has a hard time getting domestic wool! Hmmm.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  08:34:38 AM  Show Profile
I am taking my little lambie to the vets today to find out for sure what it is. I wanted to get her a once over since I have gotten her so since I borrowed a livestock hauler I might as well put it to good use. My husband didn't want to put her in the car again(after the last mess she made) so she will have lots of room today..hehehehe last time we put her in a dog crate and she fit just find in the back of the jeep but I think the guy had just wormed her and boy sheep !@#$ all over the place. I had to scrub it out the next day because my hubby was having a nervous breakdown about the sheep dodo in his car. I thought it was funny but he didn't see it that way!!! It cleaned up easy. since most of it was in the crate anyway. But he would prefer to pull this be hauler for this little lamb so He is going with me today to do this and then to the shearers when we go there too!!!! hehehehehehehe

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  09:02:14 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. Jami, Glad you had a good time at your class and your truck made it there and back ok. I haven't been to Paradise Fibers yet but I have bought stuff from them and the owner was very helpful via the phone when I was re-building one of my wheels and couldn't get it to spin once I got it back together. He spent oodles of time with me fine tuning it and I would suggest their business to anyone. It's really refreshing to find someone who will help like that without my having bought the wheel there. I am surprised that they have a difficult time finding domestic wool to market....perhaps someone could rectify that?...I would prefer to buy domestic over import any day of the week.

Sarita I hope you get your "foot rot" problem under control ok. It sounds like a lot of work, worry and expense. What's the saying? Oh yea "no good deed goes unpunished???" hehehe. Hope your cake turns out well.

Spent the day yesterday potting flowers into bigger pots. It sure would be a lot easier if the wedding wasn't in Sept. to keep these flowers looking good. My friend came and swooped up the pots of wave petunias to summer in her greenhouse away from the wind. I have had so much wind this summer it's ridiculous. It's been difficult just to pot them up it's been so windy. Today it's water the veg. garden and pick strawberries again.

Grace I loved your post on the "you might be a farmgirl" thread. Must have given your UPS man a real thrill!!...

Hope your lambie is ok, Bev. Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  1:12:27 PM  Show Profile
Ok I am a little jealous, you all have spinning wheels But I imagine it will help to have my sheep here first
The chickens are in the mansion, yes really last night they moved and even laid eggs in the nests, well 3 out of 5 did so not bad!!
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  2:02:50 PM  Show Profile
Jami - glad you had a great time and that your creative juicies are flowing - it is sometimes just what we need is to be in a different place with other folks. I have been enjoying my revisitng of art yarn and sure have made some great new ones - hope to get them posted on Etsy soon.

Sherri, the UPS guy and I have a friendly relationship (not that kind) but he sure does turn red when I tell him it is baby time again. We laugh and I know I knock off a couple of years off his life each time. Sherri I wished my blooms would hold on for just two more weeks. They are just going to town and I fear I will not have them for the wedding. I might buy more just in case. I will keep my fingers cross for your September wedding.

Berverly I am giggling because my husband would not even let the kids eat near the car. I am sure he rolls over in his jar when we have had goats, sheep and yes even a llama in the truck. The worst was when we had two of the Great Pry's in the car and they both got car sick many, many, many times and then my youngest son lost it too. Not a great ride...

Well, 92 here and I am melting - time to go barefoot in the basement for awhile - see you all when the sun goes down.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  4:46:22 PM  Show Profile
Well the vet said it is just bug bites and to go and get some fly off stuff that they use on horses. Well I went to tractor supply and they had about 20 different kinds and all were caution don;t do this or caution do this. There was one that was marigold spray and said it was cloves and rosemary I think it is and said it was non toxic and even humans could use it. so that is the one I bought. I hope it works good. If any one can give me any better ideas please do. I don't want her pestered by flying insects. She is too cute and sweet for that. She was so good at the vets. I was very happy with her.
And oh my gosh the great pyn's getting car sick... my husband would be having a break down.!!!! hehehehehe He was so happy today that we had the hauler. tomorrow she is going to get sheared but I am kinda scared cause what if now the darn bugs bite her everywhere!!! Right now they can only bite her where she does not have wool, but if I take it off!!! But it really needs to come off...I feel like a new mom and worrying about the new baby in the family!!!! hehehehehe a 53 pound one!!! hehehehe I just realy like her and don't know everything I need to know and so I don't want to do anything wrong. She is so darn cute. Oh enough gushing!!!!

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  10:53:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh Gush Away you have earned it. Most folks do not get how attached we are to the four legged family members and how we will move heaven and earth to make them O.K. I am glad to hear they are bug bites - what kind?? I talked with a old timer and she said it might have been lice bites because what happens is they little one's snuggle up with their heads into their mom's that it is their face that get's the bites. Depending on what type of insect I could locate a herbal recipe for you if the item you purchase does not work. Let's hope it does.

Rae I am so excited for your chickens - a Mansion - I love it... My new girls finally stepped out of their coop after my older girls went on a bug hunt. They went exactly a foot out the door and layed in the tall grass and dusted themselves in the dirt. They are so different then my other girls but I think they are finally liking their new home. I have about three more weeks before they start laying brown eggs. I will then have both brown and white. I miss having my egg layers but there are none around here to be had. Can't wait to hear about the sheep. A wheel will come in time just enjoy the sheep for now.

It is 92 degrees right now and still climbing - our weather is so screwed up. Not sure what to expect anymore.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  12:12:10 PM  Show Profile
The vet looked in the wool and said it was not lice and she hasn't been with her mom for weeks and she didn't have any bites when she came so it wasn't from the mom. The vet thinks because he found some scabs on the back legs where the flesh was that it was some bug that just liked the part where they could get to that was not covered in wool. A flying insect of some sort. That is why he said to get some fly off stuff. So I got the natural stuff. any other info would be helpful..bev

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  06:42:26 AM  Show Profile
I really do not know what else to offer unless we knew what bite your little one. Right now around here the wet gound has produced more flies and bitting bugs then normal. Garlic is great and so is apple vinegar. Don't let water stand too long and keep air moving when you can. When I was out stepping on thistles I notice they they are the nursery site of my ladybugs. I had thousands upon thousands on each plant. It was incredible. So even when Mother Nature gives us something we do not want she also gives us someting great too.

Tuesday we had 92 degrees today it is to be 82 and rain - this is to stay all thru the week so I guess no metal gate painting - I am so sad - hehehehe... No coop painting - hehehehe... Taller weeds in my driveway - booooo....

Jami what new technique are you spinning?? I still owe you an email on the wonderful sample you sent me - I am so sorry for being so behind.. I promise I have not forgotten - I just need to get my custom orders straightend out. I have a couple of ladies who are wanting something spun and I just have to get my brains going - this last minute wedding things are getting in the way. The keep dumping new things my way which I really do not have time for - Oh well, 9 more days and then it is done..

Have a great day ladies.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  11:53:15 AM  Show Profile
So how was everyone's 4th???

My question is how does your animals respond to the fireworks, noise and such?

Last night after having horrible thunder and lightening along with tons of rain my poor animals where scared enough then everyone around me decided not to follow the ban on fireworks and shot off for several hours large loud fireworks. You know that kind that sounds like a bomb went off. They are illegal here and yes, I did call the sheriff because last year a guy up the way caught his neighbors field on fire. I sat with my animals and made the rounds in the different barns on the hour to reassure them and to make sure nothing was going on. They where so scared. Just because those folks do not have animals they just can not figure what is must be like for those of us who do This is also the same neighbor who decided to target practice with his rifle facing down toward my pasture of goats and a bullet landed 6 inches away from where my youngest son was cleaning up the pasture. When I went to confront him he was drunker then a skunk and had a bale of hay he was shooting at. He could not understand my anger so after letting him have it I called the sheriff. The sheriff said he could only arrest him once an animal or one of the family was shot. Don't you just love our Land Of The Free and Home of the Stupid.....

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  12:07:53 PM  Show Profile
Home of the stupid tops it at times. My 4th was uneventful until the dogs knocked my legs out from under me and I went down face first onto the ground! I have a big scratch on nose, black and blue chin & hand, and strained wrist plus bruises on both knees!!! SO far no black eyes but we will see what happens Nose a little swollen on one side but not too bad, could be worse I guess could have broke something. That milk drinking pays off!!!
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  12:19:46 PM  Show Profile
The 4th of july went off pretty uneventful around here. I went garage saleing to look for a trap cause something keeps getting my chickens. But I did not find one. I am going to ask a friend of mine if they have one. I want to catch whatever it is and get rid of it. It is making me made. It breaks the eggs and eats them too. Just really starting to get me amd!!!

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  4:49:40 PM  Show Profile
Grace or anyone
Do sheep need to have extra salt, like the salt blocks or ground up animal kind of stuff? Also is Oak really bad if they just get a little and not the regular diet? I have read one things that say yes and the other as long as not their only and usual diet it won't hurt them.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  11:55:16 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean about the land of the stupid. We have a no fireworks ban here too although you'd never know it by the size and frequency of the ones set off around here. Call it in and they never respond unless there already is a fire. My neighbors shoot all the time too day or night doesn't matter. It doesn't seem to bother the sheep any but sure freaks out my dog. The grass is so dry we have had such heat with wind, wind wind. One shot with a spark and it's all she wrote. Then my neighbors on the other side seem to like outdoor "camp" fires that they let smolder unattended all night that are still smoldering the next morning. That's why no BBB for me even tho I am close - I had to sit fire watch. We are supposed to get some thunder storms sometime tonight into tomorrow with temps moderating and that will be fine with me - these 90's are really hard on everything.

Rae I feed a mineral block for sheep and goats. We are really lacking in selenium around here. What do you use Grace? I don't know about Oak it doesn't grow around here.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  01:38:26 AM  Show Profile
Rae, I asked my vet that same question and he said all sheep need is to graze as long as they are getting good pasture and are not pregnant. But he told me I I would feel better to get a sheep block of trace minerals and put it out there and if I really had to to feel better I could give a little bit of the sheep mixture to them. But he said they were made to eat grass and a good hay. He said we over due with all the minerals sometime. but I feel better with that block out there and they seem to nibble off of it so I figure they must need it. Bev

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  01:44:58 AM  Show Profile
Oh yea I get the block just for sheep cause I know they can't have the copper that is in the goat blocks. and my goats eat oak leaves all the time and they seem to really like them and have no problem with them.

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  11:32:55 AM  Show Profile
Rae are you alright??? I am so sorry to hear about your spill - I know what you mean about the milk thing - I am sure I would be more like humpty dumpty if it was not for all the milk I drink - at least that is what I am hoping for. You take care and heck if you have a shiner tell folks they should see the other guy - he is in a lot worse shape. That ought to keep them in line.

Sheri I am with you - this week we are to hit 95 the day of the wedding - puddles will be my name - I hate heat and now I am worried to leave the farm. I guess we will just pray that all my neighbors go out of town.

As for salt - well when I ran large flocks of sheep I did give them mineral blocks because I just wanted to make sure everyone had what they needed. As for the goats I do give a mineral tub before breeding and thru their kidding season because remember I am the one with the 21 and 17 year old mothers - we all need alittle bit more as we age. I also keep baking soda in the barn for them to eat at will. I agree with the vet - most of this stuff is not needed unless you have bad hay, sick stock or older then my sweet ones. My best advise is have you hay checked for accurate knowledge of what you sheep are getting, then go from there.

The brain trust down the road caught their front deck on fire with their stupid fireworks - see karma works. Needless to say I wished they would learn from their stupid mistakes but this is the third deck they have burned since I moved out here - doesn't that say a lot!!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  12:10:03 PM  Show Profile
Grace yes I am fine, pride a little bruised but...feeling a lot better today though not as sore anymore. Good thing as have spent last 2 days in the garden but it is looking good.

We are so far behind on everything, thought for sure sheep would be here last month but...oh yeah what about oak and sheep? There is plenty of grass for them to feed off but what if they find an oak shoot, will it hurt them??

Wow hot weather there! We have been in 80's but have had a breeze which helps. We need rain though, it is just way too dry.

Too bad about your neighbors deck but you play with fire you will get burned as my folks used to tell me!

Rae

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  1:04:00 PM  Show Profile
RE: fireworks - got neighbors on all sides doing all of that except I did stop by one new neighbor's house today to thank them for not setting off fireworks. She told me she works for the Fire Dept. so not into personal fireworks. Thank goodness. I really wish they would ban them and then I could call the Sheriff. It's just sad that people are so ignorant of farming life that they don't know or care about how something loud, booming and flashing affects the critters right around them. I remember our neighbors a couple of years ago setting off fireworks and the whole time their horse ran in its corral back and forth. They didn't seem to care a bit or understand how traumatic it was for the horse. The horse was a phase and is now gone, probably a blessing.

Rae, I'm sorry you played Humpty Dumpty with the dog but glad you're okay. Hey, get used to being behind as a state of affairs on a farm. It's just always the way it is. Sheep are like kids...you'll not remember ever living without them once you have them.

Grace, no worries on the roving. I figured you'd contact me when you could. I am working on spinning up some Romney roving that I received as a gift so haven't been doing much of the art yarn at the moment. I want to get this Romney plied so I know if I have enough for a sweater.

Sheri, cooling off over there? Very cool here today after a very hot weekend. The land of extremes. Sounds the same for Grace. If you're not hiding out in the basement from some storm you're roasting. I enjoyed your neighbor's Karma story. I don't mean to delight in others' misfortunes but there is something to be said about justice being served on the deserved. Ya know?

I am off to skirt some Texel fleeces for an order. If the wind were blowing SE I could ship it "air mail" in the true sense. Got a good clip going today.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  4:59:24 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad to hear you are ok Rae. It seems like the older I get the harder I fall which is seldom, Thank God but when I do it I do it in spades. I fell down the stairs last winter and thought I'd broken my foot - only bruised it bad but it took all I had to stuff it in my boot to go and feed in 5 ft. of snow. I DO sympathize...

Grace you have a fancy old fashioned fan you can take to that wedding? I'd say in those temps it might be time to revive that old custom. Is the wedding outside?

Yes, Jami it is a lot cooler today - whew! I'll take 68 over 98 any day of the week. Did you get any of that blessed rain that came through last night? I'll take all that mother sends our way - the grass is getting crisper as we speak.

Bev how is your lamb doing with her bug bites?

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page