Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  07:13:12 AM  Show Profile
Good Friday morning, girls. Sarita, when does the company arrive? I'll have you in my prayers and send good vibes your way. Appreciate your thoughts on the picker too. Our spinning group has one that we can check-out and I think I will give it a go first before I start looking for one. It's just something I've thought about and know you and Grace both have experience with them.

Moses will breed up our pure Texel ewes in the fall. I have a plan to breed all crossbreds this year using our Texel rams on the Coopworth ewes, Moses on the Texels and a 50/50 Texel/Coop cross on the 50/50 Texel/Coop ewes. That way we'll keep the 50/50 ratio and have an F2 cross which I have wanted to try. I kept back a 50/50 ram a few years back but he just wasn't turning out like I wanted so DH and I ate him as a yearling (talk about big chops) so last year we saved one again and he's looking pretty good. He's the one I put in with Moses for company. Breeding stock sales have been a bit slow so I just figured instead of taking pure Texels to market we'd get bigger lambs by crossing all of the breeds--Texel muscle with Southdown and Coopworth frame. We get paid by the pound. I've got 5 purebred Texel rams to sell at this point. One is going to Oregon soon and guess I'll put an ad in the ag paper for the others. Had an inquiry from Florida while I was gone at the ram sale but think they thought we were in Washington DC as no replies to my emails when I pointed out that we are in WA State. We have rams as far as Kentucky and Illinois so nothing would surprise me.

Do any of you gals like to eat lamb? I used to think leg of lamb was my favorite but I also love barbecued/grilled lamburgers! With homemade onion rings from the garden and some BBQ sauce and bleu cheese, pepper jack cheese....mmmmmm.

Better go run off that food thought! I'll check back in later and if I don't make it back, have a good weekend and Sheri, I hope the dress drapes beautifully at the fitting so you can get 'er done. You have great patience.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  10:39:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls! I really enjoy reading about your various days/escapades even though I never have time to comment on them. And I really appreciate all your comments/ideas/advice too. Right now I have a new question...my barn has a cement floor (converted dairy barn) and although my sheep aren't in their stall very much I'm concerned about the dampness from their urine. I use straw on the floor, but it gets very wet and we've had such a damp summer (read: we've had maybe 5 sunny days since May)that the stall never dries out any. I clean it nearly every week, but I recently saw a product and I wondered if any of you had either a) had experience with it or b) had advice about using it. It's called WoodyPet, but there are other brands too. It's these pellets that look like rabbit food that disintegrate (into kind of a powder - NOT a shaving) when they get wet. I was thinking that if I put them UNDER the straw they wouldn't get into the fleece. Am I overlooking something very important here? I know I can't use shavings. Any advice would be appreciated.

Céleste in (what feels like Seattle) Vermont who just sheared her first angora rabbits yesterday.

The Hunger Mountain Band: "Singing for someone's supper . . ." www.tradlassie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  7:20:46 PM  Show Profile
Jami, I think we are all cut from the same cloth too and I think it's a good thing!

Sarita, I hope all goes well with your company! Sorry to hear they are so hard to deal with! Lord forgive me, but I would be ornery when they come over and I would be inside carding with wool flying everywhere! You make us smile too! Seriously though, I will be praying that God will give you an extra measure of grace when they come over! No luck on a drum carder yet, but I don't really have the money at this moment anyway, unless I can talk hubby into it! Right now I am still trying to pay for the rest of my wool order! And yes I have gotten bit bad! I have $50.00 down on 5 fleeces!!! No clue where I am going to put them when I get them! Maybe I will make a bunch of BIG throw pillows to put it in, but I won't let anyone use them!

Jami, I will keep an eye out for you!

Sheri, I will say a prayer that the dress works out before you hate it!!! I wish I had time to sit and spin also! This has been the craziest week at my house! I have been fighting off a computer virus and have run umpteen scans on my computer! I have spent all week trying to get the house cleaned up and it hasn't happened yet! I do have 2 orders I need to finish and get in the mail tomorrow so at least I get to spin some silk and card some cotton tonight, but the turquoise and green Romney I have spun that is sitting on my wheel is very loudly calling my name!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jul 24 2009 7:23:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  8:30:15 PM  Show Profile
Fiddlechick, this is my opinion only. I have not used this product: I wouldn't use the pellets to dry out your floor...my reasoning is: Sheep will eat things that they shouldn't have and get sick or die. They will also paw the straw to get to something they shouldn't have. Also as levels of amonia raise, the risk of pneumonia increases too. I also have an old diary barn that has cement floors in part of it. In the summer I don't even put down straw, it is cool and they like to lay on it. Here is what I do...I let the sheep in to get shade or to get out of a storm but I make them stay out in the pasture as much as possible and I just take my shovel and wheel barrow and clean it out when I turn the sheep out. I also take the water hose and clean it and let it dry before the sheep come back in. I had a couple of sheep with feet problems this Spring and the vet told me that sheep are so much better off in a pasture than in a barn due to all the bacteria that they are subjected to in a barn. Thankfully I caught the problem and doctored it quickly and all has been well since. (we too have had a very wet spring and summer.
Does the package say it is safe for sheep? I will be watching to see how the other sheep ladies weigh in on this product.
Monica, spin and enjoy yourself. Thanks for your encouragement. how many throw pillows will it take to contain 5 fleeces????? Smile...and who cares, enjoy your spinning and get some beautiful new baskets and show off the beautiful wool.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  8:56:00 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, I don't really know how many pillows it will take!Grin!! I love the basket idea, it's just that I don't have any place to put them! Right now I have 7 pounds of washed black Romney in my laundry basket on my sewing table!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  4:37:18 PM  Show Profile
Sorry for being slow to the computer today - had to beat the storms on getting feed brought in and then assisting with a house explosion down the way... Busy Saturday. I then treated the goat girls and myself to a afternoon of eating in the back yard. They had a great time trying to eat the tall grass. It is way over their heads and so the older girls showed the younger ones that if you stepped on the base of the grass it bends and you can nibble to top without any trouble. The youngest kids tried even jumping in the air and biting in the air to get the tops - not the best way of doing things but was worth a bunch of giggles.

As for the bedding issue - I would not try it until you spoke with other sheep owners.. I agree that sheep can eat just about anything and die - so I would not risk it. I agree that to hose down the concert, keep them on the concert and not straw will keep them cleaner and also the will stay more on the pasture then in the barn.
I would also use Order Ban - a great product to kill all types of germs would be a weekly process. I use it on lamb towels, cleaning out equipment and yes even clothing to keep things from becoming an issue. I would love to hear other's sheep owners thoughts - I keep my barns clear of any beding except during birthing season and the bitter part of winter. Trust me animals in nature are not sleeping in straw - dirt or rock is what they get from Mother Nature.

Have a great weekend all and Monica get busy on that fleece because you know if you let fleece sit they multiply - I know about these things

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  5:03:26 PM  Show Profile
So when we build our sheep shed now next month we can just have dirt flooring? Would any hay or straw be good in winter for warmth or do they do ok as long as some shelter?
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  6:08:21 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I am!!!! I can only take it for so long before my fingers just itch too bad and need to spin! Silk multiplies too if you let it sit! I know that you would know about that one too!
I am just soooooo very glad that this week is over and things seem to be getting back to normal, at least normal for around here!! I started homeschooling the kids Monday, my computer got a virus on Tuesday and on top of that I think this week has had average temps of 110 and about 75% humidity and it has sapped me! I have not even managed to get the dishes completely washed up once this week, let alone laundry or the huge pile of stuff sitting on my sewing table that I need to go through and sort out to list on etsy! Anyway I did spin some silk for an order and I am determined to get the yarn finished! I have a million ideas bouncing around in my head, including some colorways for dyeing!

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  05:43:16 AM  Show Profile
I do put straw down in the winter but only in their pens or along the walls when there are not pen put together because that is where they will sit. There is a fine line because if you keep them too warm they will not produce more fleece, if you keep them too cold they use up all their calories trying to keep warm and then they do not have enought to grow nice size babies. The best way is to visit some farms in the area, read tons of books and post questions here and on other sites. I have also learned that sheep eat their bedding and waste their hay so consider how their hay is fed in the barns because some will be on the floor. Another things is where the sheep where raised. If you get hot house show sheep they really have no idea how to live just ask Jami about her ram, so you really have to watch them that they do not overeat on their bedding. No shavings, paper, pellets or towels - they eat those and die..... What a pain, and folks think goats eat everything - I found sheep are tons worse then goats every can be.

Keep those questions coming there are great ladies here who have much better ideas then I.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

marthaellen
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Martha
Normangee Texas
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  09:36:07 AM  Show Profile
Several answers: To Fiddlechick, check out Sweet PDZ, it's a granule that horse folk use to dry out stalls. I don't think it's very appetizing, but I don't think it's harmful if they taste it.

It may be a lot different in colder areas, but here in Texas, the babies born in winter just seem to be healthier than anything born in late Spring or Summer. I don't know about sheep, but it seems to hold true with foals and kid goats. Calves born in winter stand a better chance of beating the odds against fire ants and the calf is ready for grazing by the time the grass is coming in.
marthaellen
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  10:32:44 AM  Show Profile
Marthaeallen, I would gander to guess this is due to your weather conditions in Texas and parasite loads as the weather warms. It makes sense to me.

Here where I live it's a pretty harsh winter and babies would not survive it easily without some intervention. We tried lambing in February one year and wouldn't you know it, we had a blizzard the day we started and it was something fierce. Most of you gals know that we don't have a barn, but rather a lambing shed that is 3-sided (and has a roof of course) and the wind/snow was blowing the "wrong" way from our usual winds (in other words, into the open side of the shed) and I had lambs shivering under heat lamps, on heated dog beds, etc. It was awful. Never tried lambing that early again even though we usually have a nice little spell during February, we certainly didn't hit it. Didn't lose any lambs of course because I refuse to do that if it can't be helped but had to get pretty creative for the 2-day event.

Rae, yes, dirt flooring would be good in my opinion.

Monica, you are one busy girl. I'm going to check out your Etsy store soon so get that stuff listed!

Grace, an explosion at your neighbors? Your life is just over the top some days. I think you need to write a book. Quite entertaining with your bent on things like the goats learning how to eat tall grass.

I have been busy freezing raspberries and riding my new horse. Excitement on our last trail ride was coming across a big rattler. She handled it much better than being left behind when hubby was training his new dog to cross a river and left me on the trail to go back. A bit herd-bound. It's always something with our animals. Never heard of a dog (blue heeler) that wouldn't swim across a creek before. Once he got the hang of it, he was okay but he just hadn't had the opportunity before I guess. We just rescued him so we don't know his history besides being abandoned during a farm foreclosure.

Well, girls. I just got on here to check out a few things and had to pop in to see what you've been chatting about. As always, enjoy the time here with you. I'll catch up with you manana--time to go hang out some clothes and check the sheep minerals/salt. It's a hot one today!

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com

Edited by - Jami on Jul 26 2009 10:33:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  3:03:34 PM  Show Profile
Martha, Welcome to farmgirl!!! I hope you have a wonderful time here!!

Jami, I am finally getting back on track so hopefully I will have some stuff up in a few days! I will let you know when I get new stuff up!

Hope everyone is having a great day! I know you all may laugh, but I have to say that I am having a great day because my driver, Jimmie Johnson, just won the nascar race at the Brickyard in Indianapolis!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  5:09:18 PM  Show Profile
Ok everyone who has been listening to me whine, hubby is taking time off next month and we are going to get stuff ready..... yes really ready for my SHEEP
Will keep you posted.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  5:32:49 PM  Show Profile
Rae,YIPEE!!!!!! I am so thrilled for you! I do hope that someday I will have sheep or goats or something!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  05:26:10 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all,
Rae, it won't be long now! Dirt floors are great.
Grace, do you think you need better fences for goats than sheep? See, I would like to have a few goats to help eat some of the buckbrush and mutiflora rose (really I want some fiber goats but I am sticking to my story) in the back 40 but my DH's friend's wife had a goat and the moma had twins. Well everytime the wife left her new car outside the garage they would find the moma goat and her twins dancing on the hood. These people run cattle and the fences look good around the place so I always wondered why they could not keep the goats contained and of course DH picked right up on that.
Martha welcome to MF. Are you located in the drought area?
I am going to get through this week with the company and all and then next week my new guard dogs arrive. I have been waiting for a puppy and the guy called and he will deliver her and a yearly male dog next week. This guy has 700 goats. We don't know how the older dog will take to sheep so the guy is coming out and making sure the dogs get along with the sheep and my dogs that I already have. He said that if the yearly dog does not work out, he will take him back and try another. These dogs are a mix that he has found to work great with his flock. He said they look like a very large light colored golden Retriever. GP, Mannma,and another breed. This fellow has lived about 20 miles from me and been in this area since he was born. He has called to talk with me 3 times to ask questions so that he can match up the dog to my situation. I am getting excited! Any hints???????
Got to get moving, planting fall garden this morning and cleaning house and baking this afternoon. Weather is sunny and in the 80s last few days. I canned 10 quarts of green beans Sat afternoon without AC. That just never happens here. They say we have had one of the coolest Julys ever. I wonder how this weather will affect the wool growth.
Jami, so glad that you are enjoying your new horse. Sat morning at about 6 am my neighbors moved 30 cows with calves up the road in front of our house with horses and we were trying to round up our cattle to spray for flies and they just opened the gates and rode out and brought in the herd to the corral for us. I owe them big time...a few loaves of homemade bread. Sure made me miss my horses. They have a neat set up. Money never exchanges hands. About 8 couples will help each other with their cattle. One guy had an injured shoulder so he flags ahead of them with a truck and the rest ride horses and works the cattle. They had worked about 250 head of cattle the day before.
Good day to all!
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  06:06:27 AM  Show Profile
It is really neat when people work like that together isn't it.
Another garden wow, I am lucky if I get the one. Ours is coming along so hopefully will have lots to can.
Dirt floors it shall be!!! If I had any idea how to start that shed I would but I am really good at helping so will be nice when DH has the time off. We work well together although I have had to threaten to form a union once in a while for better conditions but he has gotten better, letting us eat and go bathroom kind of thing
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  07:16:00 AM  Show Profile
Good morning. Hope all goes well with your company, Sarita. I know you are dreading it. How neat about your neighbors giving you a hand with your cattle. If more of the world worked that way it would be a better place.

How exciting for you Rae. It won't be long now. How is your garden coming along with the cool temps?

Jami, did you get any of the cool down or is it still really hot over there? At least we got a tiny reprieve. It's supposed to get back up there again this week. My sheep just lay on the sand pile down by the barn most of the day. They don't go out until it's nearly dark.

Managed to get through the bridal shower plus a weekend of more clean up in the yards. Also worked on the bridal gown some more. Finally got the lining in straight and hand sewed. I got the organza hemmed and trimmed and the lace all pinned out so today I am sewing on all the lace around the bottom. Hopefully that goes without a hitch. The hardest part is the weight of the gown while I am trying to sew the organza over skirt. I am on the final leg of this one. The bride is getting her trial run-through on her hair today so I can design her head piece/veil.

How is your blue-boy faring, Grace. Hope all is well with him. What caused the explosion at your neighbors house and was everyone ok? What excitement.

Thanks for your good wishes Monica. Hope you get to your spinning - I envey you. Sure wish I had the time. Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  07:52:45 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies

I first need to say the house that blow up was about 5 miles away but for us that is down the road. Have not heard yet as to the cause but also the hay barn went - so tons of smoke for the day... No one was at the home - I sure hope it was not one of those planned things. We have had a couple of folks do that instead of having the bank take it.

Thanks for asking about Boy Blue - he is doing very well.. In fact today or tomorrow the last of the little boys will be moved away from their Mom's - trauma and tons of crying will be heard by all around here.

For the past three days we have had big storms again - what's new and they are saying it will be in the 70's for this week. Perfect temp for me. Sunday afternoon a huge storm rolled in and the thunder was so bad I went to the basement again!! While downstairs one hit so hard that two shelves in my spice cabinet broke - it sounded like a bomb hit. When I finally got upstairs and started dinner I opened the cupboard all the spice bottles came rolling at out me. Strange, the vibes broke the pegs that hold the shelves into the cupboards. So I will have to order new pegs and replace some spices.

As for fencing for goats I have the graduated fencing. I hear from time to time about goats getting on cars but in thirteen years I have never had that happen EVER! I also give my big breeding billies the ability to let themselves out of the main fencing to walk about the property that is not fenced and they walk arounding eating, playing in the forest, greeting the deer and also guarding the place. When I am away they have been known to stand in the driveway and not let the strangers onto the place. They know the delivery and postman so they can come but no one else. I use sheep panels to section off gates or to keep small babies in one spot but I guess I just never have any of the stuff going on with my goats as others do.

Rae, I promise to get to the shears - just been side tracked too many times with life. I promise....

With all the downpours I have lost most of the flower sets on the miniture tomatoes on the deck - I guess I will be at the farmers markets more.. Oh well, I will support those who have had better luck.

I have been making Christmas products this weekend - it somewhat takes the joy out of the holidays when you have to do things so out of what is going on in the present - but that is retail. I an hoping to also making some holiday aprons for the shop - I will add some twists to mine - been working on a pattern, maybe for sale too. I have not been in the pattern making business for about 25 years but I have some great ideas rattling around in my head.

Anyone taking animals or goodies to their county fair? I am amazed how our county farm is going down hill - too many city folks now and I guess no one cares that our country traditions are going down the tubes - how about in your area???

Well, going to get to work before the storms roll in again. Have a SUPER DUCKY DAY

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  12:25:46 PM  Show Profile
Grace your place is nuts, if not weather it is houses blowing up.
Just let me know $$ when you figure that out and we will go from there.

Getting muggy here but heat is good for garden. I try to remember the good when I am sticking to everything.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  12:48:54 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I hope it was not the organic farm you were telling me about that blew up!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  1:11:01 PM  Show Profile
No Monica it is one of those that does not do really anything but have a huge house and barn. They put up hay from their land and I think may have one or two horses but that is it. We had a McMansion not too long ago blow themselves up because they where going into foreclosure and the folks thought they could collect insurance and then miss out on the foreclosure. They where caught and are awaiting trial. The problem is they had many horses and did not even care if the horses lived or died. Many other animals where killed too - several dogs, chickens and a milk goat. I am sure glad I never get picked for juries...

Well, got to get back to work - painting Christmas projects today - I really want to finish them because I have some great yarns on the schedule for this week. Have a cool one ladies...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  7:32:43 PM  Show Profile
Grace, That is so sad to hear about the animals! It is also so dangerous to have things on fire like that!

I hope everyone is staying cool today!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  11:09:04 AM  Show Profile
Well Grace, I finally broke down and bought a copy of The Alden Amos Big book of Handspinning!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  08:26:33 AM  Show Profile
Congrat's Monica - I am sure you will enjoy reading it as much as I did. You know a lite read

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  08:58:31 AM  Show Profile
Well Hi Ladies of All things Sheep and Goats.

I thought I would take a few minutes to stop in here and say hello to you all. It has been quite awhile. I haven't read through all the posts I've missed but it sounds like there have been many ups and downs and glad to see all are still here hanging in and that there seem to be few more voices too.

Briefly for me, thing are finally getting into a normal pattern of living again. The divorce was finally over at the end of May. I will not harp on it any further but it was a horrible year and ahalf but it is behind me now. So the last couple of months I have been set on rebuilding what I started in 2007 and pushing forward at the same time. I pledged in January to get the business going this year and that is still my goal. With my sons help the renovation of the summer/slave quarters in the back has been has started. The gutted improvements made by previous owners and it is being rebuilt as a cottage shop. Hopefully done by the mid fall. I've been working on developing a real website with an ecommerce shop. That should be up in a couple or three weeks due to the time it takes me to photograph and upload everything. No lambs this year but my 15 are doing great and hope to be breeding this fall for spring lambing. I'ave also been developing a small side project in small vintage and repainted furniture and junque at a local antique mall. Have done a couple of regional wool and fiber shows and a couple of primitive antique shows with a friend who lets me include by yarns and wools in her booth in exchange for helping her there. The market garden was a complete bust this year mostly cause I(we) weren;t there to keep up with it in the early spring and the continuous rain feed the weeds before they could be controlled. I've just given up on it mostly. My small herb and kitchen garden and the flower beds around the house and sunflower patch are all I could keep up with. So that's me for now. Glad to see everyone is doing well and hanging in there still! i promise to check everyone's blogs and websites to see what you all have been up to!

Luna

Luna The Farm Lady
http://blueballmountainspindleneedleworks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page