Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  11:36:40 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. It's a heatwave today as it was all of 10 this morning which sure beats -7 and best of all, no wind. It's supposed to moderate into the mid 20's by the weekend with snow. I'll take it with joy. I really detest the sub-zeros with wind. You definately have my sympathies, Grace. Brrrrrrr.....Hope all continues to be well for everyone. I know it's warmer because the sheep have ventured out to the field this morning after being holed up in the barn or just the barnyard for several days.

Spent the evening spinning last night - sure felt good. I can sure feel it in my hands from all that carding with the Viking combs tho. It's a work out for sure. I sure am envious of you and your treasured drum carder, Monica!

Great to have you here, Barb. Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  3:07:58 PM  Show Profile
Sherri, thanks for the welcome, it is cold and stormy still. It has lasted 24 hours now and sounds like it is into tomorrow too. I was just wondering what kind of wool do you spin? I am knitting with alpaca right now, because Ihave 4 kids, I haven't had a whole lot of time to knit in the past years. Now that they are bigger, they are learning to knit also. Just wondering if you would share your info. God Bless.
Barb
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  3:19:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Barb - I have Shetland sheep so I am spinning and knitting Shetland right now. I also like to spin Merino. I like to knit with all types of yarn. I love the Alpaca as it's so soft. I'd love to have a couple of Alpacas someday. I like to do lace knitting and socks and sweaters, hats, mittens but lace is my favorite. I do enjoy knitting socks as they are such a portable project without too much counting. I am known to put a message on my voice mail - "Am knitting lace so I am counting, will call you at the end of the row!!". Lots of eye rolling from my kids to be sure....

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  4:05:16 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sherri, thanks for the info, I'll do some research on these sheep. I will have to wait for summer. Right now,the storm is finally slowly letting up, until I have a great setup, it will have to wait. I am going to start lambing next month, so I may be on this chat a lot if I have any trouble, or just to let you all know that I had my very first lamb. I am really enjoying this site, great to have friends with common likes. I am truly grateful, because don't have many people around my area like you all. talk later.
Barb
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  7:35:33 PM  Show Profile
Barb, Welcome and I must say that I know the feeling of not having many in my area like these wonderful ladies here! They are all a treasure! I don't have any animals "yet"! I actually started out about a year ago learning how to spin on a drop spindle and I got a wheel from Grace a year ago in October and now I have 2 wheels and literally 60+ pounds of raw fleece that I washed myself! If you stick around this thread and especially Grace, you will be completely addicted to everything from animals to spinning! Grace is an incredible enabler!!!

Grace, I hope you are okay! I am anxiously waiting for word of new babies!

I hope everyone is staying warm and healthy!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Dec 11 2009 7:37:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  09:06:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies - No Babies Yet!!! I promise I will post the moment a nes little baby is here. That's fine with me because I am still working hard to get everything done. Brought in more grains so I have about 20 bags to get off the truck and into the barrels. Heavy work - guess a long soak will be in my future. Some of the girls are feeling the weight of their big round tummies - hard to get up especially in this cold weather.

We are to be almost 34 degrees today - WOW a heat wave is hitting. I have gift wrapping, card writing, last minute stitching gifts and cookie baking planned for tonight - that is if my body holds out.

I want to clear the decks because I have some new fiber here I want to spin but I told myself "No Spinning till the other work is done" Boy I am a meanie...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  11:32:00 AM  Show Profile
Hello everyone!! We are having some cold stuff although today it 21 so in a heat wave as well. The big snow went under us so didn't get very much, maybe a couple inches. Really need more if it has to be cold. Sheep are doing fine and yell at hubby everyday to bring them their treat

One of my chickens died yesterday, not sure what happened but so far the others look good. In fact my half naked one have really pretty feathers growing in!!

Almost done with the Christmas shopping. A couple gift cards needed, 2 small gifts and wrapping and be done. Was supposed to be done a week ago but....tree out back quit producing $$. Hopefully next year will be able to make stuff ourselves. One more week of work and then 2 full weeks off, YIPPPPEEEEEEEE rah rah yeah!! No I am not excited at all.
Take care all
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  3:01:27 PM  Show Profile
Speaking of chickens...my half naked one grew her feathers back in too...just in time for our bitter temps. When the temperature plunged this week they started spending all their time inside even though they have free access to outside. And I have two questions:

1) They've been tossing all their food from the feeder hopper onto the floor. Normal? Are they just bored? It's all over the ground, but I don't want to refill the hopper because I'm afraid they'll toss that out too and it's organic feed and pricey.

2) We let them outside to free range today. Thermometer said 30s, but it felt like 20s...they seemed cold. The roo was standing on one foot. The hens kept fluffing up and bedding down. One of the hens (the one who just grew all her feathers back) was shivering. Should they stay inside below a certain temperature? I've never had them in the winter before and when I was growing up I don't remember our chickens going out at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Céleste

Spindrift Studio at Reindeer Station Farm
www.reindeerstationfarm.etsy.com
www.reindeerstationfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  08:25:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Celeste

Chickens are both stupid and smart - mine will also scratch out all the food from the feeding equipment no matter what kind I have purchased. Over the years I treat them like I did with my kids and other animals - if you decide to throw your food around and be picky then I will not give you new until you clean up what you have. Trust me they are smart enought to go and get the food off the ground. Sometimes they think they will find something special at the bottom of the feed container. Some are worse then others - I have one girl who really is picky and goes thru all the food looking for the items she like best - the others girls just follow after her and eat what she will not.

As for the cold issue - if they are shivering then I would say keep them in. I keep mine in when it is 20 or below because our terrible wind here always makes it hard for any animal to stay warm. My White hens hate the cold but my Black Stars thrive in it so again bred is also a factor. Since egg production drops when a hen gets cold - I hate to have less eggs when baking season is upon me - so I pamper my sweet girls - two heat lamps, tons of straw, homegrown sprouts and other goodies to keep them warm, happy and laying. Good luck with the chickens - they are more fun then a barrel of monkeys.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  12:18:20 PM  Show Profile
Hello all! Ok sheep question. We are hauling water daily and plan to do so but someone told us snow is bad for them, affects the kidneys and just wondering if that is true. As I said we have no plans to have them get their water that way but want to know if it is true.

My chickens will step in, on and everything when it comes to food. Got some cracked corn to go with their mash and they are really having quite a "corn" day Sheep got some as well with their grain and were happy. Had some in a bucket yesterday and Sampson and Sally almost got their heads stuck in there together trying to get it.

Have heat lamp going on a timer in chicken mansion. Sheep are a ok right now with their nice warm coats.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  3:44:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rae

I will have to chime in on a snow issue - what would they be drinking or eating if they where wild? Snow, because unless they can get to a large creek that has not completely frozen over that is all they have. When I spent my time in Iceland learning about my sheep - there they roam the countryside and what do they eat - snow!!! Most other countries do not have the set ups we do so their animals live more like Mother Nature intended. Here at this farm all of my animals know that if the water is frozen - eat snow. Sometimes the water freezes within a half hour so I carry water, they drink fast and if by some blizzard I can not get them water they eat snow. Now that does not mean I stop watering it is that they know they can take care of themselves just in case. That also goes for my Llamas and dogs. When the weather hit -32 good luck. Even my chickens when they came out of the coop after the bitter cold (they had water in the coop) but they came outside and ate snow....

Boy, was that a long statement!!!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  4:51:28 PM  Show Profile
Well that was my thought that it was ok but people are always telling us stuff so I go to the pros, you farmgirls!!!!

Yeah the chickens peck my feet when I walk in and have snow on them.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  10:16:39 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the chicken info!!! I'm so glad I don't have to be worried that they will turn up their beaks at the stuff on the ground and starve to death!! LOL!! I hadn't realized that about the temps affecting egg production either. (Though I did wonder why people used heat lamps - duh!)

Grace, what kind of sprouts do you give them? And all: what are your favorite chicken treats? I give them popcorn sometimes, but the favorite seems to be oatmeal mixed with yogurt. Anyone else?

Céleste

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  11:30:46 AM  Show Profile
Yeah what treats? Butter microwave popcorn?? I like it that way so figure everything and one should!

What about some goodies for the sheep. Mine like everything but some ideas are always appreciated for these cold days and nights coming up.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  11:36:31 AM  Show Profile
Yes! What about sheep treats??? I know of NOTHING. (Except that they sorta like popcorn.) Now that mine are in their winter pasture and people pass them all the time on their way to the equestrian center they often ask me what they can feed them. DH says we should put one of those coin operated animal feeders on one of the fence posts.

But, what can I tell them? Can they eat carrots? What else? What makes good sheep treats? Inquiring minds want to know...

Céleste

Edited by - FiddleChick on Dec 14 2009 11:38:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  3:01:55 PM  Show Profile
My sheep love carrots, squash and pumpkins!!!! That is a start.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  12:31:58 PM  Show Profile
Cold and plenty of snow here in Wisconsin. Just put my cow back in the barn, as the wind is making it quite nippy out. She should be coming in heat any day now, so don't want to miss that. At least the sun is shining right now, it makes the cold a little more bearable.
Just a thought, but with the chickens wasting feed, I would give them a little less in their feeders. I have found feeding them more often, rather then more at one time, makes a difference.
Stay warm, and hope everyone is about done with their Christmas "work". :)
Michele
Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  02:04:24 AM  Show Profile
Michele - that's a great idea! I did notice that when they chucked it out the feeder was full. I'll give your suggestion a try. Thanks!

Céleste

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  07:30:11 AM  Show Profile
Michele is right - I feed sometimes three times a day so I get their eggs before freezing - they do not all lay at the same time. I also place their feeder inside a large tub so what they do throw out will not be lost. I then pour the thrown feed back into the feeder so they get to decide again. I did the same with my two sons - whatever they decided to turn their nose up at one meal was wrapped up and revisted at the next meal - sound harsh but only after a couple of times of that did they get the hint and no picky eaters here.

My sheep where only ever given grass and alfalfa so grain was the treat. They also received soaked shredded beet pulp with grated pumpkin or squash. Thin sliced pears or applies that have been half frozen was another fav... Most of all hugs, snugs and tons of kisses where a requirement for all of us...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  11:39:21 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. Hope everyone is staying warm. We have had a real mixed bag of weather - snow, freezing rain, more snow, more rain.....it's a wet mess but at least we finally got above freezing for the first time in almost 3 weeks. I'll take it gladly despite the messy conditions. I noticed that my deer that thinks she is a sheep was up at the barn yesterday and hung out with the sheep most of yesterday. I get a kick out of her - she isn't in the least afraid.

I find that my chickens waste less of the pellet type feed vs the crumble feed. I have Rhodies this time around but it was the opposite with the Buffs. I gave up on the circular feeders as they kept roosting on them and knocking them over or kicking too much debris into them. We have a wooden feeder built along the wall that I find has worked out better for me. I go out about three times a day for eggs too.

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  9:14:13 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, I forgot to tell you that if you are looking for a drum carder, check out the Fancy Kitty Kitten Carders! That is what I have and I really love it! They start out at $330.00 + shipping! Plus Ron, who makes them is really great if you have any trouble!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  1:25:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. Thanks for the info Monica - not in the cards for me right now but hopefully this year. It sure would be a lot easier on my wrists!

I imagine everyone is busy working on their Christmas prep. Today I am dipping chocolates - chocolate/Kahluia truffles, blueberry creams in white chocolate (kid fav),orange creams in dark chocolate, coconut (mounds type) and getting ready to make some caramels.

Did you decide to build the chicken feeder, Rae? If you need more details I can go out and measure the one I have if you want me to. I would take a pic but it's so dark in there you probably wouldn't be able to see much!

Any babies yet, Grace? How is the weather treating you?

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2009 :  08:06:31 AM  Show Profile
Hubby plans to build it this weekend if he has time and your description is just what he had in mind.

MMMM I'll take an order of the stuff you are making Sheri. I haven't made a thing yet, daughter was home visiting this week though and made a bunch of cookies for us!!

Busy doing the never ending laundry, for 2, and cleaning!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2009 :  08:07:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies - no babies yet but poor Eboney is so round - Thursday we had 50 degrees out so I made everyone go walking - she was not happy about that but a little bit of sun shine is good for everyone.

Sheri is sounds like you will be in the kitchen all day. I still have not started my baking. I finally sent off the last custom order this morning. I cleaned all the barns and restocked the feed. Cleaned out the chickens, put in a nice deep layer and washed down all the nests. Restrung some snow fence that the deer have made a mess out of. I finished dyeing about six pounds of alpaca and 3000 yards of yarn. Now I just need them to dry. Getting the house cleaned for the guest to arrive. I am sure I am doing the same things you all are - with one eye on the girls.

I wish everyone great joy, peace and all your prayers to be answered. From the Funny Farm to you all Happy Holidays and Sheri it there is any left over goodies they sure would be great while I sit in the barn@ Just Kidding

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2009 :  12:19:14 PM  Show Profile
Oh Grace I got exhausted just reading everything you have been doing!! 20+ today so opened door for chickens to go out in their yard, so far they stick their head out and look and yell a little at the snow

Off to pick up grandson for a overnight visit. He was the original owner of our sheep so saved his carrots from lunch yesterday to give to the sheep today. Nellie finally shoved the others out of the way to get to some grain today!! (She is the 1 year old)

Blessings to you all!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page