oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  2:21:03 PM  Show Profile
Grace, Last time you had dyed locks I missed out on them. so I figured I would grab them while they were there!! Gary is still a bit under the weather, but he is being pampered with hot tea and cocoa and home made cherry pie! I think I will make a pot of chicken noodle soup for dinner!

I have a question for you all! I want to make Gary a scarf and I wanted to do it out of alpaca, but I have heard a lot of people say that you should blend it with some wool! What are your thoughts?

Hope everyone has a warm wonderful day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  3:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
By the way Monica, I love your user name, it fits me to a tea!
hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  3:11:12 PM  Show Profile
My mom used to always say that I should have been born 100 years ago! I love to do all my own things from scratch from baking to sewing, you name it! So when I ran across the thread about spinning it just fell into place! I have been spinning for 1 1/2 years now and I love it! I must say that Grace is the perfect enabler especially since I got my first wheel from her and yes now I have 2! The second one is an 1800's Romanian wheel and tons of fiber! I figured that sooner of later I will have my own animals!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  3:26:47 PM  Show Profile
I am up from my nap and my brain is a bit fuzzy but boy that felt great.

Sorry Gary is not feeling well - but being pampered is wonderful. Tell him I hope he feels better soon. Why did the folks tell you to mix wool? Sometimes we mix wool to give the alpaca more ability to hold shape but with a scarf that is not the case. If the scarf was going to be one that he wears working outside day after day that also might be the case but if the scarf is just for normal wear then I do not see the need. I also have 100% alpaca gloves that I have done chores in and they held up just fine. What reason where those folks saying add wool???

As for dyed lockets I will be posting some newly dyed ones from both sheep and also angora. I also will be posting some new alpaca - Yes I love being an enabler in fiber.

I better start being productive today - I just loved my nap - it was very needed. Take care of yourself Monica and all the drippy noses in the house.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  3:27:03 PM  Show Profile
Hello all!!! Each day I am feeling a little better, sure takes a while to get over this thing

We got probably somewhere around 14 to 16 inches of snow counting today. I think it may end here soon and then will be sunny but cold. Finally got plowed out so we are able to leave. I really don't mind not being able to but... sheep are doing fine. Chickens are finally laying again!!!

Found a wheel through a penpal so will probably get mine in the spring. I am excited to get started on that end of it. I really do like the "old" ways myself.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  4:18:12 PM  Show Profile
Rae, I am glad that you are feeling better! I bet the sheep are all warm in those nice wooly coats of theirs! Are you getting a spinning wheel? What kind?

Grace, It wasn't me directly some of the people on one of the yahoo groups were talking about alpaca and adding wool to it and I remember now that it was to hold shape as you said! I couldn't exactly remember what it was, but you hit the nail on the head! The biggest part is for him to have something warm when he is out in the morning reading the water meters! He said he doesn't think he would wear a hat, but I figured if I made him a scarf, he could always wrap it around his head if it was cold enough! We are doing well here! It's been nice to just stay in and stay warm!! Do I dare go look at your etsy? Probably shouldn't, but know I will!!! You are such an enabler!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2009 :  5:48:16 PM  Show Profile
I made a scarf that was alpaca blended with silk and it was beautiful, really warm and held it's shape well. the nicest scarf i ever made, hands down.

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2009 :  6:32:34 PM  Show Profile
WOW Rae - that is some snow. Know what you mean about wanting to stay put - besides who wants to be out with everyone driving???
Oh I am excited for you - A Wheel is a wonderful thing!!
Keep us posted.

Monica I have a 100% alpaca sweater that was made from a high end fashion design shop in Peru - I love it but it does want to grow so I went in and ran some thin thread thru the stitches at the bottom ribbing so it does not go down to my knees by the end of the day. You would think for what I paid for it they would have thought of that... Live and Learn. I have made scarves with 100% alpaca and they are just fine - I wear one while I do my chores and it is put thru a ton of hard wear and it has held up over 8 years now.

Is everyone in your house over the sniffles yet??? I sure hope so.

Great to see a new name of this forum - would you might share a photo of the scarf?? I love seeing what folks make.

Well, update on round expecting goats. No Babies but Eboney has a puffy butt - that means soon!!! Today she wanted me just to sit and rub her tummy while she kept licking my other hand. She gets needy when she gets close. Several of the girls enjoyed the sun outside today - well that was until we ran into a skunk. He sprayed the air, luckly not us but still we smelled for hours... Mother Natures Perfume.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2009 :  7:04:52 PM  Show Profile
Ick on the skunk perfume. I've had one hovering around half the summer and would occasionally smell his aroma at night. Caught him in the chicken house once too. I haven't smelled him recently tho....Thank God.

I made several scarves with alpaca with no trouble and one smoke ring with a lace pattern that my friend has worn now for several years.

Had the newest Grandbaby out to visit today with his bigger brother (16 months old). I love them when they are shiney and new. I forget in between how tiny newbies are. They skipped Christmas day since he was so new - too many kids with possible germies. It was fun to see them.

I'm so glad it's not me that is getting that snow. So far a pretty mellow winter in the snow department although we've had some really cold temps.

My dinner buzzer is calling....

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2009 :  7:19:34 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Well Today I made a trip to the farm store with my dad to get kidding supplise. I'm so glad that is over with!! I picked up some goat chow and a goat block for them. :) They are pretty happy now! lol :) Today I found out for sure that my oldest goat Esther is pregnant and due in late April to early May. I am so excited!!
It was rather cold today and we are suppose to get snow this week!! I can't wait!! I love snow! I love to take long walks in it and listen to the birds and animals. There's nothing better. :)
Today I just cleaned my room, finished a scarf, and did lots of math.
Nothing speical. :)
Well that's all for now.
hugs,
channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  05:40:44 AM  Show Profile
Sheri how exciting to see the newest addition. I trust all is well and that the family is settling in. I know what it is like to have a child around Christmas - way too much. My first grandchild is due around my birthday in April - I sure hope I am done with kidding by then - my girls are seeming to be all over the board this year with a new billy being used.

Still no sign of my sweet baby deer. Each morning I pray to see it - then my heart sinks and I worry that she was the parts I found. If I ever found the person who did this well, he might just be fed to the coyotes.

No babies yet as of last check - Eboney sure was a mess. I think she would like it if I would just sit with her 24/7 but I can not. The fighting between the two girls is still going on so they are still in different parts of the barn. I had everyone out to walk in the sunshine and again they started up - so back into their pens they went. Talk about holding a grudge....

Off to package up orders - bitter cold out this morning - 3 degrees and not to get past freezing today. So everyone stay warm today.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  07:21:14 AM  Show Profile
Chilly here today as well, sun is shining and that is why Oh well all is well on the farm so no complaints. Imagine it kind of feels nice for the sheep with those heavy coats of theirs!!
Chickens are happy and laying like crazy, yippeeee some revenue for the farm, HA HA HA!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  09:21:41 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all - it's chilly here this morning too. Not as cold as you are, Grace but around 10 which is cold enough. We have been caught in the cold again where it stays cold all day but it's supposed to moderate with some snow by this afternoon. Right now it's sunny which is great since we get such long stretches of gray this time of the year.

Yes, it was fun to see the new baby. His brother seems to be handling it pretty well which is good since he is really a mamas boy. It's hard to have to learn to share mom. They may come out to stay with me a couple of days before her maternity leave is over. Depends on the weather/temps as I tend to keep it pretty chilly in here.

Bummer that your goats are still mixing it up. Just makes everything more tense and complicated. Hopefully they get over it once they kid.

Glad to see you are on the mend, Rae. Great that your chickens are being so productive. Did you ever build the wooden feeder? Mine finally started laying again after moulting for several weeks.

Time to get back to work now that the holidays are over. I will be glad to get back to my usual routine. January and Feb. are my favorite months for doing my art. After that I start my bedding plants and start into thinking and planning outside work. Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  7:25:03 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I read your blog and I am so sorry! I am praying that the baby is safe! If you find the person can I came help you feed him to the coyotes! Please be careful!

Sheri, Aren't babies wonderful!!

Channah, Do you get a lot of snow in Chehalis? I used to live in Tri-Cities!

Rae, Hope you are feeling better! Congrats on the eggs!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  7:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Not yet but this week we are suppose to get some. It diffrent every year but we do get snow at least once in winter.
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  9:04:29 PM  Show Profile
I must say that I miss the snow, but not the cold! It's been 40 here and when you get used to the hot summers, 40 is freezing!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  05:11:10 AM  Show Profile
You can all have some of our snow!! The highs are only going to be in single digits this week but anything above 0 is great for us. 40 is short weather here, 30's and the jackets come off and just t-shirts in Feb or March. I do like the change in seasons though.

Sheep are doing good yet, not roaming too far from their house. Chickens go nuts over the snow when I go in so put a little ball of it for them on the floor, at least they don't trip me then trying to get it off my boots

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  1:39:11 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like everyone is having fun with winter! I don't seem to enjoy it as much as I used to. Looking forward to warmer weather. We have sunshine today, so everyone wanted to go outside and soak up the sun. It is 14 here, late in the afternoon. I am wearing my felted slippers. They are warm, but not entirely happy with the pattern.
Good luck with all the upcoming babies. We will start calving in March, hopefully when the weather is a bit nicer???
Stay healthy and warm
Michele
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  4:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
It's snowing here!!!! Yeah!!!
Hugs,'
Channah

Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  05:43:59 AM  Show Profile
I am going to have to learn F, us canadians are all celcius. It all sounds cold to me. We are in a cold snap right now also. It is -15 but it feels good. We have so much humidity from lake Huron that everything feels so damp until it gets real cold. I am going to start lambing in January for the first time. I have only had my ewes since March. I am excited and nervous. We milk cows and I have helped lots of calves come into this world, I can't think it can be any tougher. Can anyone tell me what things that I should have with me for the deliveries? I feel like a midwife in asking this question. Have a wonderful day! God Bless.
Barb
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  06:35:37 AM  Show Profile
It is a good question Barb. I am new to sheep as well, just got mine here this fall finally, and who knows when the lambs shall appear You came to a good place for information.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  12:38:38 PM  Show Profile
Rae, I miss the change in seasons! It is pretty here in the spring after it rains when everything is all green for a little while, but it's not the same as seeing all the leaves change color in Ohio where I grew up! At least we are going to plant grass at the new house so that will be wonderful! I will once again have grass to run around barefoot in!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  9:16:12 PM  Show Profile
Did you see the blue moon tonight? I took pictures and put them up on my blog.

Happy New Years! I wish each of you a very joyous, happy new year filled with love, joy, peace, good health, and much wealth. I pray that the Good Lord will bless you and fill your barns to over flowing so that you can have great joy in sharing with others.

Very cold and covered with snow in Missouri.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  10:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
You know it's really cloudy here so I can't see the blue moon. What a bummer... I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year!!
God Bless,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  10:47:56 PM  Show Profile
Happy New Year everyone. Couldn't see the moon tonight - it's snowing. Looks like the creeping crud finally got me - a really good cold, runny nose and cough. That's what I get for having all the kids out on Christmas....little germ factories!! I guess a lot of folks are down with it. I figure I will get it over with at the beginning of the year and be done with it for the rest of the year! Hope all is well with everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page