925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  8:35:25 PM  Show Profile
Monica, I will pray for you too.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  05:01:14 AM  Show Profile
I really would like to stay home today. It is getting colder and I have a headache that just won't quit. Spinning and dyeing sounds so much more appealing than teaching 9th grade today. But it looks like we are in for a small ice event late Wednesday night. Time to plug the tank heaters back in! I sure don't like using snow days because it means that we have to keep school open that much longer after Memorial Day, but it is lovely to get to stay indoors near the fire, with soup cooking away on top of the wood stove, and spin all day. Even if the power goes out, all of that can still take place (only inject the occasional whining of bored children!) And I love having plenty of time to take care of the livestock when it is cold, instead of being rushed and then worrying about them all day while I am at work.

I know what you mean about first time yarns. Mama just made some art yarn that looks a lot like my first yarn, and now she is going to have to "teach" me how to make it! Isn't that crazy?

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  3:24:11 PM  Show Profile
Lucked out and had day off today so got to stay home and off the ice and snow covered roads!!! Now the cold is moving in and pretty windy out there Did back bread today and made soup. Even made a batch of meatballs and gravy for tomorrow night supper. Be nice after a day with the sweet children at school, HA HA HA!

Sheep staying pretty much in their house. Just glad they have somewhere nice to be out of the wind. Hubby added some more hay in there for the warmth as well. Chickens are laying like crazy since we put in the lights!

Hope all are doing well!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  5:42:37 PM  Show Profile
Lori and Rae, I am with you, really like to stay home when the weather is bad, take care of the stock, make soup, bake bread and fix a batch of hot chocolate pudding and then get all cozy and warm and then spin, weave, or sew in my peaceful home. But I just hate to do those make up days in the Spring when I need to be home with the new lambs and calves and planting garden. I am a school nurse and after all the budget cuts, I will just be thankful if I have a job next year. Things aren't looking that good. I also do Parents As Teachers after school is out in the afternoon and some nights and the Superintendent told me today that we will probably not have that next year.
Temps dropped here and the winds are really blowing with light snow. Sheep and dogs acted like it is Spring time, playing and jumping. I was really glad when all the chores were done and I got into the house. ( Had to stop and pet and play with the flock and the big white dogs.)
I am weaving on a big thick wool rug and I spun so crazy lumpy thick yarns for texture and of course it is causing me more work but I think the rug looks really warm and cozy. (I put up more pictures on the blog from working upstairs all day.)
Does anyone have a neat idea to store balls of homespun yarn, I want to be able to see what I have when I plan my weaving projects and right now I am just winding into balls and they go in a couple of big baskets...lots of digging going on. I hung a simple curtain rod and got some S hooks, tied ribbon around some of my skeins of yarn and put tags on them to hang so it will be easier to plan projects...I appreciate all the ideas that i can get.
Michele, I like to spin one ply with the black and one ply with the white and then make a two ply and dye the skein with a med to darker shade dye and get a nice results. Good luck, show us your results when you get done.
Sheri, is the box done yet? It is really beautiful.
Grace, is the barn full of new babies yet?
I have been working on my studio upstairs, organizing and weaving. It has a long ways to go but it has came a long ways from an old farmhouse upstairs where glass jars and home to store all the unused furniture. We had a much larger home than this house but I am really liking the downsizing...lots less work for me, cozy, and more time for me to play with my animals and my hobbies.

Keep warm and God bless
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  04:39:34 AM  Show Profile
Sarita they make plastic see through bins. Then they will stay nice plus you can see somewhat

I work at the school too and hate to make up days, come end of year I want to be done and gone!!! I know our budget is really tight as well. I think I am ok as there is just the teacher and me and right now 29 EBD students! Imagine by end of year that number will grown.

I would rather be home with my animals too and certainly would be far from bored! They at least don't argue with me, most of the time

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  10:00:31 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning all. Yesterday was a great day - I got my high speed internet!! It is so nice to actually be able to watch demos on You-tube. I have been on a cleaning jag for two days after being on ignore for a couple of months. Things are starting to look pretty spiffy. I know better than to do it too well this time of the year though as mud season is still upon me. We got a skiff of snow but this has been the warmest winter I can remember. I am not complaining after the record snows of the last two years.

I'm glad to see you back, Sarita. Thank you all for your kind words on my box. I am working on another, larger one. My goal is to have at least three done by the middle of next week so I can spray them all at once. I still haven't worked out how much I will be selling them for - it depends on how much lacquer they take. As soon as I have the bottom line figured out I will let you know. Yes, in answer to your question they are large enough for hats. Your rugs sound beautiful, Sarita. I really want to learn to weave but haven't had the funds to purchase a loom yet. I found a great deal on one and so far she hasn't sold it yet but right now the money doesn't warrant it.

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  11:41:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies - did you think I fell off the planet? I sure thought I did. Have been a busy beaver here - first off - NO BABIES - I have decided they are just pulling my chain. They have been pills for the past three days - several got into horrible head butting fights like I have never seen between the girls. I even had to clean up and fix cut heads which I only have to do with the boys... Then we have had a rash of stupid - getting head caught in fences. For those who have had to get horned animals out of small openings it is anything but fun. So then there was the repairs to the fences.

Luckly, the fiber business has been busy and I have been filling orders left and right... I spent two days taking inventory and then checking each listing on Etsy to make sure the numbers matched. Has any one else found your numbers get screwed up on Etsy - this is the third time I have had to go in and correct listings. Not sure if it is me or them. I had my new daughter in law over Sunday to assist with getting products done and also making the gifts that go into each package that is sent out from the farm. We had a great time and she made whole wheat pizza for us.

I am excited to hear about all the spinning that is going on with you ladies - picutres will have to be shared. I also can not wait to see the finished boxes - the one I saw was incredible. Weaving is not my thing but it sounds like some special creations are warped up and ready to get going. I have tons of way to store yarn but it depends on how much yarn, the look you want and the price range. I have everthing from wire grids, antique bread racks, antique laundry bins on wheels, wicker baskets, apple baskets and then for those yarns that are not for sale but stored for my works or waiting to be incorported into other yarns I also have see thru drawers that stack and also see thru plastic boxes. As you can see I store thousands of skeins, balls and such in many ways, it just depends on the decor, need and price.

Well I hope everyone will have decent weather for the next week. Here we have another storm coming in, the past three days the wind has been horrible. I had a couple of sweet decorations that where pulled off their wires and carried all over the place. I lost shingles again and another window got hit. Oh how I LOVE wind!!!
It has been a very strange winter so far - not sure what to expect next.

Well, I better go and get back to work. I am wishing I had that high speed connection my dial up was funky for the past two days. Last night a midnight I tried four times to post here and each time it kicked me off. So maybe someday. I guess I would never get work done if I could watch demo's on the computer... Have a great day laldies and hugs all around.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  4:50:47 PM  Show Profile
Help question here. Sally's back leg looks a little swollen but when hubby and I checked there was no smell and he said it didn't really feel swollen. The outside part of a hoof is kind of going in instead of straight out, so hard to explain. She let him touch it. She is also pregnant starting to bag. Is there another word for that my hubby raised cattle as a kid.
Any ideas?

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  5:36:16 PM  Show Profile
Rae is there anyway you can get a picture of it??? I am having a hard time picturing this in my minds eye... It could be a circulation issue but that would depend on how long it has been like this...

I do so much better if I can see things - sorry...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  6:25:28 PM  Show Profile
Grace thank you. A friend is coming over tomorrow night after work who raises sheep. Hubby called him and he said he could come over and help out. It is so hard to explain, if we didn't have someone coming I would be back out there with a camera!!!

How far along would you estimate she is when her bag is filling? THis is all new to us, our first baby!!! I am so excited but so nervous now. She was so good though I held her around her neck talking to her and rubbing her tummy and she let DH pick up her legs and look around at her feed. Of course we played ring around the rosie with all the sheep for a while
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  9:18:30 PM  Show Profile
Glad to hear that someone is coming but please keep us in the loop - this is how we all learn.

As for bagging up that starts for most, I repeat most about 4 days before but there are degrees of bagging. I also test by the warmth of the bag - because the warmer they get the closer you are. Again after having the animal for a awhile you get to know each of them and their ways. However, I guess I must we all wet because after 14 years my goat are just pulling my chain.... I keep looking just in case.

Good luck with your sweet one. Hugs from the Funny Farm.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  08:56:28 AM  Show Profile
I have no babies yet either. What is it with these moms. Rae, I'm with you. I am very nervous. I wish she would have had her babies last week when it was so mild. Right now we are getting that white stuff back again. I have exciting news. I contacted a spinning guild near me and I am going to take lessons In March or April. I am so excited. They also teach about the fibres etc. Maybe I will get a market for my wool too. Who knows what this will lead to. Rae, good luck with your ewe. I sure hope she is o.k. Grace, do you give your ewes much grain or any before they lamb? If so, how much? My girl looks a little skimpy right now. I know that there is more than one baby in there and right now I think it is stealing more from mom than maybe I am giving her. Hope everyone is having a wonderful day. God Bless.
Barb
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  09:25:11 AM  Show Profile
I will update tonight when we check on Sally again. Yeah hubby said same thing, bet that sheep will have her baby when the cold comes in. We are having a chilly spell now but they are out of the wind. Just have to bring baby in bed with us to keep her warm

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  12:38:03 PM  Show Profile
Barb I ran a farm without grains - minerals, herbs, hay and alfalfa where how mine where raised. However with my goats as my girls get so much older yes they older girls are getting a bit of grain 2 cups a day. Now those are for the girls over 15 years old... Babies take alot out of the girls so I do it on a case by case bases. Also make sure that they are parasite free and minerals available that always helps.

Rae your right the moment the weather turns nasty the babies come. In your bed - that must be some husband....
We are to get a front move in tonight so I have the girls walking around today so incase we get stuck inside they will have had some exercise. I am thinking of bring a billy over to the barn this weekend just to check on things but the weather will guide me on that.

Been busy today making more yarn bundles and took some sweet pictures of my little mink. I will post him on the blog tonight - honest I am not nuts and now I have proof... It is such a sweet thing and even comes on when I make a sound like a squirrel - O.K. that makes me sound nuts...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  5:12:53 PM  Show Profile
Well it was determined that there is no foot problem. Questioned if she is walking a little different because her bag is down and her leg rubs against it. Could be as when she runs she runs fine. He did give her a shot of penicillin just to be on the safe side though.

He wasn't sure on when baby due but she is bagging, just not real big but who knows. As you said Grace they are all different. Feel better though as his Dad raised sheep all his life and this guy has been raising as well so pretty knowledgeable.

Will let you know how she does though. I am so excited about this first time stuff
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  7:38:42 PM  Show Profile
I love hearing about coming babies.
I put the rams in with the ewes the end of November this year because our spring comes so late.

I am trying to spin lumpy yarn for some slippers for this years Christmas presents.
What breeds of sheep do you all have?

www.muckingbootsandmagic.blogspot.com

www.meadowcrone.blogspot.com

Edited by - MeadowCrone on Jan 27 2010 7:43:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  9:06:07 PM  Show Profile
Rae, i have had ewes start bagging 2-3 weeks before they deliver. They really start bellying down, are you seeing your ewe doing that?
Barb, I change up to better hay for my mother's to be, go from brome, timothy, to a good alfalfa. I don't change any feed suddenly, I add a little alfalfa to the hay they are use to and gradually change over. Another thing you have to be careful about over feeding is the baby grows too large and the ewes have trouble birthing. I factor in the weather, the sheep's activity, age, and even the breed. The large Oxford's need more feed for their big bodies compared to a shetland. I also like to have my girls out in the pastures exercising right up till time to deliver. They are out in the fresh air, breathing clean air, getting exercise. They will also nibble on grass in the pastures and regardless of the weather, waiting at the gate to go out. I always get them in in the evenings and if I see they go off by themselves or most will come back to the barn by themselves, then I put them in the birthing jugs. Please understand if I know their due dates and they are bagged down, bellying down and ready to go, I keep them in close to the barn so I can put them in the jugs if I see any signs of them lambing. It is funny, some of my old girls will come in to the same jug that they lambed in last year without me coaching them. Old Molly will come into the barn when I am checking on them and stand and wait for me to open the gate and she walks into the same jug and I bring her clean water and hay and she wants away from the others, she has did this the last 2 years. She is getting very old and she is one that I definely do not want to over feed or she will have problems. I always wonder if they are getting enough hay, the truth comes out the day we shear. So far they have not been overly fat or too thin. When they are starting to milk heavy, I supplement with some grain but I want that baby sucking good.
Rams were in by Oct 15th this year. We should start lambing 2 weeks earlier this year. I love the babies but always want the every 2 hrs of making the barn trips or the all nighters in the barn to be over with before it even gets started.
I am usually totally worthless before May.
Hope this helps.
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  03:07:50 AM  Show Profile
Sarita this is so new but she just started bagging so.. hopefully will be a little bit so weather warms up. Will need to keep ram separated though so we can have spring babies and not winter. I am thinking she possibly was just pregnant when we got her later Oct so...

THank you all you wise women. My hubby even tells me quick go ask this or that on this forum! He is a cattle man so at least has some ideas but this is my first farm!!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  07:59:13 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning all. I'm glad to hear that your ewe is ok, Rae. How exciting to be expecting your first baby. And of course the question is, Any babies yet, Grace?

Day before yesterday, I got up and went to turn on the TV for the news and heard a big POP - and the picture tube on my TV went out. Fortunately I had one in my bedroom as I really can't afford to buy a new one right now. My son and his wife came and moved it from upstairs down and hooked everything back up. I have to admit it felt weird not to have a TV in the livingroom for a day and a half. I actually kind of enjoyed it as I actually took the time to listen to some records (yes I do listen to real records - I have nearly 1500 in my collection) - some Billy Holliday and old Ricki Lee Jones that I hadn't taken the time to listen to in a long time. It's so much easier to just load up the CD's. I even listened to some old John Denver when he was still with the Chad Mitchell trio.

Hope all is well with everyone. I'm back to my boxes. Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  04:13:39 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, Thank you so much for all of the info. What a true blessing you all are. I think that I am going to ween her on to some alfalfa hay. I know for sure she has more than one in her. I was watching them yesterday, what a hoot. That poor girl, I remember the feeling of my kids playing monkey bars on my rib cage.
Well, I had better get the kids off to school. It was cancelled yesterday from the snow storm. To be quite honest, I was kind of getting used to that nice warm weather last week. I think we have to get so sick of this stuff to really appreciate the real hot weather in the summer.
Gods Blessings on your day.
Barb
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  05:02:47 AM  Show Profile
Baby question... no Sally didn't have anything yet but do we need to give baby or Mom any shots or just be sure they are fed? Books say one thing and another and I want advice from pros!!
THanks
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  06:59:42 AM  Show Profile
You ladies are so informative. I love reading this stuff. I have an Icelandic ewe who always has triplets and last year her daughter had twins. So I am interested to see what the daughter does this year.

www.muckingbootsandmagic.blogspot.com

www.meadowcrone.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  05:55:44 AM  Show Profile
Sally had her babies, 4 of them but only one has survived
I can just kick myself because I had a dream during the night she was having her babies and I should have gotten up and checked on her. I am praying and hoping with everything that this baby lives.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  07:25:10 AM  Show Profile
OH MY - My heart is breaking for you and Sally

Please keep us informed how it is going and we will be sending all the good prayers your way. PLEASE do not beat yourself up - you could have been right there and had the same results. I know it seems the moment you put your guard down they do that - but please know you are doing your best.

I hope the little one will be strong and Sally will have all her wits about her to take good care of it...

Hugs to you and Sally.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  09:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Oh Rae - I am so sorry that things turned out that way. As much as we love our animals, sometimes things just don't go well. I hope Sally and the new one are doing well. I'm with Grace - don't beat yourself up - sometimes things just go that way whether we are there or not. I know it doesn't make it any less heartbreaking, but it is the way of animals. My prayers are going out for you to have a good ending. Please keep us posted as to how things are going.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page