oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  07:17:27 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, I am so sorry to hear about your loss! Since I don't have any animals yet I don't have a clue, but I will be praying that you are able to figure out what happened and that all the other animals stay healthy! I will come smack the vet for you! Some people have no sense especially at a time like that!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  07:26:11 AM  Show Profile
I think the attitude of someone who is supposed to care for animals is what upset me so much. If it were a cow or a horse or if he was a breeder ram his attitude would have been better. Even when I told him he was a pet he still didn't have any sympathy or caring. I don't understand why someone like that would choose to become a vet. It wasn't the money - I would have paid but with an attitude like that I'm not so sure I would have wanted him here. There aren't that many vets that do farm calls anymore and the two older vets in that practice have always been great and never hesitated to come or question the need. All this guy did was rack up the math of how much mileage and how much $$$. No compassion.

My son and DIL are coming to help me dig a BIG hole and get him buried today. It will be a chore but at least the ground isn't frozen we've had such a warm winter. I am not looking forward to this, it's never pleasant. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. My heart is still on the ground.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  08:48:45 AM  Show Profile
OH MY - I am SO SO SORRY for your loss

I have been trying to post since late last night - computer acting up. I might suggest that you take a sample of your hay to your county extention office and see what they might think is in your hay. If possible you might feed your critters something else until you get it checked. Sometimes you can have just a small batch of something like red clover which is highly toxic. In nature they only grow it a small batch but are deadly to sheep...

As for him crawling under the feed that is a natural behavior. When they feel they are really sick they will try to crawl under something to protect themselves from prediators getting to them. I have had that happen and it takes all your strength and many hands to get them out.

Also for quick stiffening is because of a toxin - some will stiffen a body in a matter of minutes.

As for your Vet - We have many out here who are like that - presently we do not even have one who will come for a sheep or goat. They have all switched over to alpacas because they can charge an arm and a leg and the breeder will not even blink because if you spent $30,000 for an animal you have to have a vet check it for insurance policy coverage. My best advice is educate yourself and then put a network together of other animal owners so you can have help, supplies and hands. Just know there will be a special place in heaven for those greedy Vet's.. Or maybe they will come back as negelicated animal...

My heart goes out to you, I surround you with hugs and prayers, Please know you are loved, cared for and you did your best. Let us know what happens and I will be saying prayers for you and yours...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  09:34:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Grace for the info. I am switching out the bale and choosing a different one from a different grower. I can't afford to replace the hay right now. It breaks my heart to see the other sheep standing there staring at him in the barnyard. Poor Angel was his buddy and she is just lost. I will be glad to get the burial taken care of later today. My biggest worry is he found whatever it was out in the pasture. At this point, all I can do is pray that the others will not find it too or that it was a fluke in that one bale. Most of the bales are all alfalfa but this one had a lot of grass in it. I hate feeling so helpless to help when one is down. I am going to call the vets office today and talk to one of my regular vets and let them know how unhappy I am with this attitude that my sheep wasn't worth the trouble. They have gone to monumental effort over a wiener pig in the past and my sheep was every bit as deserving as that pig. Grrrr.....

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  4:26:09 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, I will be praying that you get it figured out! I would absolutely give that vet an earful! I would also put the word out on his behavior! Doctors, whether they are for people or animals seem to forget that we are their customer! Maybe when they do have any patients, they will figure out they need to work on their bedside manners! Give me his name and I will call him up! Sorry to rant, but that just makes me so mad for you!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  4:41:42 PM  Show Profile
I did call the vets office and talked to the owners and the usual vets that I deal with. They were very apologetic and promised that they would take care that it didn't happen again with any of their customers. When I told him that my other friend had a similar experience regarding her sheep at the office and he knew who she was because she was just in last week, he doubly assured me he would talk to and take care of the "sheep/goat" attitude. I had to say something as I have NEVER had any issue with them at all in 30 years.

Well we finally got him buried. What an ordeal. As warm as it's been here I never thought the ground would be frozen. It was frozen down 2 feet deep. It was nearly hopeless digging with a pry bar and a pick. After nearly an hour he only had a one foot wide by two foot long trench about 5" deep. At this point all I can say is thank God for old manure piles. I had an old one (more than 5 years) down by the barn and the soil under it wasn't frozen. So we shoveled all the old manure off (it's so composted now it looks like potting soil) and were able to dig a hole deep enough to bury him. all the time we were working, the other sheep kept going over to him and sniffing him or just standing there gazing at him. It was heartbreaking to watch. After we got him buried, all the sheep went over and layed down on top of his grave. They stayed there for about 20 min. or so before going and laying in their usual spot on the other side of the tree from where we buried him.

It's been a really l-o-n-g day.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  6:09:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sherri,
I am so sorry. It always feels like a person died when this happens. Your prayers are with me tonight. As for vets, we deal with them a lot. We have a vet that come here every 2 weeks to do preg checks on the cows. You would swear that they owned this place! They always say, well you should do this and you should do that. They aren't the ones getting up at 3:30 am to start work and they are the ones bringing in the big pay cheques. They frustrate us to know end!

I hope that you find some releif knowing that your loving friend is in such a wonderful place that I pray we all make it to someday! Good night all and God Bless.
Barb
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  6:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh what happened???? Sorry right now I don't have time to go back and read what happened.
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  6:29:58 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, My heart just aches for you right now! I hope you have a warm quiet evening! (((((HUGS)))))

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  06:20:36 AM  Show Profile
Sheri I am so glad you got him taken care of. Hubby was finally able to take care of the 3 babies yesterday although we had them hid from Mom but this Mom would see them.

Didn't sleep last night at all and at 3 realized why, one week since babies were born so at 4 I went out to check just to be sure Basil was good. Mom was eating hay and he was sucking his milk. Whew what a relief!!!

I think the sheep see a bag of grain/corn when I come out lately cause they sure come running. Darn Sampson tries to dig in my pockets looking for real goodies!!! I had carrots the other day.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  09:21:34 AM  Show Profile
I know what you mean, Rae. First light this morning I was rattling the gate so they would come in from the field so I could do a head count and make sure everyone was ok. All seem well and their normal behavior....whew! It got cold here last night compared to what it's been. Everything was coated with a layer of white frost, very beautiful when the sun rose. I am just drained still and all my muscles are letting me know they are there. Hopefully today will be a peaceful one. Thank you all for your support and prayers.

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  10:48:58 AM  Show Profile
Rae, I am glad to hear that Basil is doing well! You need to post pics of all of the sheep for us!

Sheri, I am praying that your day is nice and quiet!

Hope everyone is warm and well today!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  6:32:15 PM  Show Profile
Hello all. At least everything has been mellow. The other sheep are fine - no sign of anything - whew! I am so relieved. I keep going out to do a head count and when they are in the field that isn't always easy. Hope all is well with everyone.

Did your loom come yet, Monica? How is Basil doing, Rae? How about your babies, Barb? Sure would like to see some pictures.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  8:59:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sheri, I'm saddened to hear about your pet sheep! And the attitude of that nasty vet! I hope all the other sheep are OK. That was touching about all the other sheep laying down on his grave. I hope an angry alpaca spits on that vet next time he treats one! People like that make ME want to spit!
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  9:07:20 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, It's supposed to be here on Thursday, but I don't know if it will be delayed because of the snow storm back east! I am so glad to hear that the other sheep are fine!

I found out that it was delayed because of the weather and is supposed to arrive on Friday! I am so excited, but I sure wish I knew someone around me that does weaving, at least so I could show it off! It really is no fun to not have any other fiber people near me! Hey, don't you all want to move to Arizona!hehe Oh, just think of the fun we would have!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Feb 09 2010 1:10:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  3:49:44 PM  Show Profile
Hope you enjoy Monica!!!

If I can ever figure out how to post a photo I will, I tried one day but I am dumber than sheep poop when it comes to computers

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  7:12:53 PM  Show Profile
Here are Rae's pics!
The first one is Basil! What a cutie he is!

this one is Billy and Nellie with Sampson's back in the front!

This one is all of Sampson!

Rae, Thank you so much for the pics! My pleasure to help get them up!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Feb 09 2010 7:16:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  11:39:11 PM  Show Profile
Rae - what a cutie. Nice looking sheep. Glad to see some pictures.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  03:13:40 AM  Show Profile
Thank you and a special thank you to Monica!!!!

They did not get sheared last year so kind of rough looking but kept them warm on those -30 nights.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  07:29:29 AM  Show Profile
Hey girls, long time no talk to. Hope all is well with all of you. Rae, had to come see what's been going on. See you got your first lambs on the ground. Awesome. Love the pics.

Well, wanted to check in and say howdy and thanks to you sweethearts you have kept in touch with me through my mom's illness. She passed away on Dec. 5th. We're all adjusting and keeping on...no other choice in my eyes. I was going to try to catch up on the posts but I really can't take the time right now so think I'll just jump in and see where we're at now.

In farmgirl fashion...happy trails.

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  07:48:31 AM  Show Profile
Rae, I am so glad that I was able to help! I did have to call my neighbor last night and ask him where the pics went after I saved them! I couldn't remember!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  08:15:00 AM  Show Profile
Jami so glad to hear from you, emailed you last night

And again Monica that you, I love to show off my babies.
Oh Basil was 2 days old in the pictures. Not too bad of size for one of 4.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Edited by - Old Spirit on Feb 10 2010 08:15:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  09:50:13 AM  Show Profile
Jami so glad to see you back. I have been keeping you and your family in my prayers that you would find peace with your mothers passing. It's never easy to lose someone you love. I am looking forward to hearing from you on these pages again.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  11:12:15 AM  Show Profile
Jami, I have been thinking about you and your mom lately! I am so sorry to hear that she passed away! (((HUGS)))) It is so good to hear from you! I will be praying for you and your family!

Rae, I am happy to help get those pics up! Basil is such a cutie!! I really want animals someday! If you need help getting any more pics up just send them to me and I will post them for you! We love to see pics!!

Please keep us and our housing situation in your prayers! Gary talked with Steve yesterday and apparently Steve was kind of getting anxious about the money that has been spent on materials even though it's no where near what he is thinking it is so far! Gary is really getting worn out between John wanting us out in a few weeks and now Gary is wondering if Steve may temporarily put a halt to the house we are supposed to be moving into! We are praying about whether or not it might be time to start thinking of moving out of Arizona! We don't have a lot of options or $$! There is a possible job prospect in Missouri, but it's nothing for sure yet! It's kind of scary right now wondering what is going to happen! I don't want a lot, but I am really tired of walking on eggshells with our housing situation! I am about ready to just go buy a yurt!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Feb 10 2010 12:22:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  11:43:51 AM  Show Profile
Monica I will definately keep you and your family in my prayers. There is nothing more nerve wracking than having ones residence up in the air. I am sure it will all work out for the best in the end, it usually does. However in the meantime.....scary stuff. Wish there is something I could do. Money is tight everywhere and jobs even tighter. As to the yurt - it's not such a bad way to live, a friend of mine has one. It sure brings simplicity to the forefront - lol!!

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page