lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  1:17:51 PM  Show Profile
We are having a terrible time with the sheep reaching through the net fence to nibble the "greener grass on the other side." The wool on their necks is tangling around the fencing and pulling out and two of the sheep have raw skin on their throats from doing it so much. It makes me so sad to see it. I suppose we are going to have to figure out a way to keep them from sticking their heads through.

The weather here has been beautiful - so much so that when I went outside at lunch today, it was tempting to go climb in the suburban and go home! I just love spring!

Grace - I sure hope you get to feeling better!

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  4:11:31 PM  Show Profile
Personally I have been tempted to go to Vet for antibiotics, seem they are cheaper

Beautiful weather here lately too, snow is melting and mud is drying up a tiny bit. Sheep love just laying out in it during the day. We will attempt to do shearing end of month very beginning of April, ought to be a hoot

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  12:24:25 PM  Show Profile
So glad everyone is doing well!
It seems like forever since I have had the chance to sit down and even read the blog. I have 6 new babies! The last ewe was very stubborn. Didn't really like her babies. So with much work( and I told her I was even more stubborn than her) she has now bonded with her babies and today is the first day that she will stand and nurse without us in the pen.yah!!! I have about 3 more ready to go and my barn is finally complete even water. Needless to say I feel so blessed with the hard work, everything is almost done!
I hope you are feeling better Grace. Those stomach bugs are horrible.
More exciting news. I start spinning lessons in 2 weeks, just can't wait.
Hope everyone is all well. Enjoy all of this wonderful spring weather.
Barb
God Bless
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  4:10:05 PM  Show Profile
Barb, Congrats on the babies!! You will have to show us pics!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  05:59:57 AM  Show Profile
I was finally able to get my hands on one of the new sheep when she was calm and look closely at her fiber. Her name is Angel (because she is white) and she was limping on her front foot. My husband and I doctored her, and while I had ahold of her, I got to spread her fiber and look and I am so excited!!! I posted a picture on my blog - but it is gorgeous! I am anticipating our first shearing as much as Christmas!

Speaking of shearing - my husband wants to learn. We have a petting zoo in the next town that has several Jacob sheep, llamas, and a couple of camels and something else (I can't remember). The owner has offered me all of the fiber in trade for shearing. Where do you even start looking for a shearing school? I checked with the county extension office and they had no idea.

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  08:12:35 AM  Show Profile
Lori, I love the pics on your blog! I hope your husband is able to learn to shear! That would be a great deal to get all of the fiber!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  10:48:40 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. Congrats on the new babies Barb. I am looking forward to seeing some pics. I know what you mean about waiting for shearing, Lori. I always love to have my hands full of new wool. We have a limited amount of shearers available around here too. I know they offer classes at EWU which wouldn't help you out. The equipment is spendy as well. I think it cost me about $12.00 per sheep to get mine done last year so at that price I don't think it's worth the expense of doing it myself. You might check with Universities in your area that have Ag programs, they may be able to direct you.

Hope your packing is going well, Monica. Have you had a chance to try out any of the fleece I sent? I started to spin some Merino roving that I'd bought awhile back and it's so short fibered that it drove me nuts after spinning the Shetland for so long. It took me awhile to get back into the flow of the shorter fiber.

Hope you are feeling better Grace and your weather has mellowed. I won't ask about babies as I know you will post if there are any new ones....

Back to my house cleaning. Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  5:22:25 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, I combed some of it the other night! I really like it! It is so very soft and fluffy! I also have to tell you an extra thanks for the mug! A few days after I got it, I was warming up a cup of coffee in the microwave in this blue mug that is one of my favorites and somehow managed to hit the edge of the door as I was taking it out and it slipped from my hand and broke on the floor. It was a mess with coffee all over and one of my favorite mugs in pieces! It wasn't so bad though because I had a new favorite right there waiting for me!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Mar 07 2010 5:23:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  09:02:01 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. Hope everyone had a good weekend. I'm glad you liked the fiber, Monica and the cup. Sounds like the work on the house is progressing nicely.

It's rainy here today which is a good thing as we have had such a mild, rather dry winter. I worry that we are going to have a really bad fire season this year if the rains should stop.

The fiber on your new sheep looks great, Lori. It's funny as my white Shetland is named Angel as well. The breeder that I buy from lets her kids name the lambs so they were named when I got them.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  07:06:17 AM  Show Profile
Well it's very cold here this morning and we are having freezing rain! It almost looks like it snowed! Hope everyone is staying warm!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  08:03:58 AM  Show Profile
We are having FOG every morning Talking about rain/freezing rain coming in tomorrow through Friday. I HATE freezing rain!! Been fairly warm though here for MN!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  09:01:32 AM  Show Profile
It's cold here this morning but at least partly sunny. They are predicting snow for tomorrow morning. You have my sympathies over the freezing rain....I agree with you Rae, I hate freezing rain too. I live in a forested area and whenever we get freezing rain we get power outages.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  10:45:02 AM  Show Profile
Well went out side and nice and sunny, calm before the storm maybe?? Oh well will take whatever nice stuff wants to come! Animals will be happy today

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  11:12:09 AM  Show Profile
Right now it is trying to snow here!!! It is really cold!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  1:49:39 PM  Show Profile
Some horrible, sad news for the Funny Farm today - Masquerade has passed away - 1989 - 2010. I will post on my blog about the day but for this moment I am still crying my heart out. She is much loved and greatly missed already.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  2:57:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh Grace, I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose a member of the 4 legged family. I am sending prayers, light and love your way.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  3:01:40 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I am so very sorry!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  3:54:58 PM  Show Profile
Grace I am so very sorry!!!! Hugs are sent out to you!

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  11:38:26 AM  Show Profile
If I may please ask once again for you all to pray for us concerning the house! I just talked to Gary and Steve, his boss is in town and apparently they talked and it didn't go well because Gary is say that he thinks we really need to pack up and move out of here all together! I have no idea what we would do or where we would go! So much for my craft room, but I do know that Gary can't take the stress any more of everything always being up in the air between our "friend" John and his boss and always feeling like he is walking on egg shells! What is really frustrating is that we have put our own money into the house and all the work he has done was supposed to go towards rent when we moved in and now all of that might be lost! Why can't people just decide something and stick with it! I am so tired of people saying one thing one week and then something completely different the next week! Don't they understand what they are doing!
Sorry to vent, but it's kind of scary to think of packing up and leaving because we really have no money and I have no idea where we would go!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  11:48:21 AM  Show Profile
Oh Monica - I am so sorry things keep going this way. I will include you and your situation in my prayers that all will turn out well. Know I am thinking of you.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  12:02:24 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, thank you! It's just so hard when things keep flip flopping back and forth! I really does seem that the best thing to do is to get out from under all of it and be done with it! I am tired now, with the new house of planning things such as having a garden and a craft room and rooms for the kids just to have the rug pulled out from under my feet and then a week later put back under!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  12:36:12 PM  Show Profile
Oh Monica I am so sorry. Did you by chance have anything in writing about the rent and $$ put into it?? One wouldn't think you need to when it is friends but sometimes you need to even more so.
God be with you and be strong. You are in my prayers.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  1:00:47 PM  Show Profile
Rae, I don't think Gary had anything in writing with his boss. The initial deal was that we would have at least 6 months rent covered for the work on the house and Gary has ended up doing a lot more work than originally intended. I think at this point Gary would just as soon walk away from it and be relieved to be done with it! I don't know what has happened this time, but I know last time Gary's boss had thought there had been 3 times more $$ spent on materials than Gary had actually spent! Steve is a nice guy, but sometimes he does not listen and he get's all worked up and then Gary has to sit there trying to explain things as to what is actually going on!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  2:23:31 PM  Show Profile
Monica ~ what a difficult thing to contend with. I will be thinking of you and praying for stability for your situation.

Grace ~ so sorry for your loss. It doesn't matter how many legs they have, they are still family.

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  10:29:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies - checking in to see how everyone is fairing. No new babies but still checking every two hours - these are my girls who can give you a surprize when you least expect it.

Monica - as I stated in my email I wished there was something I could do to make this go away for you but for now I guess you just have to weight it out.

I will catch up with everyone in a bit - house full of folks for the next three days. I do want to thank you for all your kind words and prayers - I am still not done crying but with a house full of folks I just have to get on with it. Life continues....

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page