windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  03:58:19 AM  Show Profile
Sheared Jack yesterday! Started using sissors, then my husband joined me with the clippers. Took our time, and no nicks. Finished off with sissors in the hard to do areas. We also had to trim on his horns. So today will be Jills turn. I will be glad when the job is done. Then it is on to washing wool. I do have to remind myself, this is fun, this is fun! :) At least the sheep feel a whole lot better after shearing!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  6:06:45 PM  Show Profile
Rained, moved cattle,more rain, changed wet clothes 3 times and had mud to my lower cheeks yesterday. Danny even asked me if I was ready to sell out and move and I almost said yes....But... Today has been totally different..6 AM up and fed baby lambs, came back in had cup of coffee and fell asleep in my recliner, woke up long enough to watch Dr. David Jerimiah, took another nap then about 10 I fixed breakfast. Dyed some wool this afternoon while it was raining outside. Then decided to get caught up on my carding so I have been carding the last 4 hours. I will have lots of spinning to do this week while I watch the Cardinals play baseball.
Life is good when I can get caught up on my rest! I guess the for sale won't go up today!
Glad you gals are getting your shearing done. Washing wool is a great thing to do on a sunny, breezy day.
God bless you all with peace, joy, money, love, and good health.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so.....
'Love the people who treat you right Pray for the ones who don't.
"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  6:40:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh Monica - I just had to purchase that DVD when it came out - I thought it would be a way to explain things better to family and friends then I seem to be able to. I must admit I just cry and cry when I watch it because I just can not believe we have let things get so out of control. This is why I just want to go when I can get real food, live without government coming after me because I will not play their way and so this is that small voice that has been whispering to me for six years now...

Michele, even those of us who have been shearing for a long time never do the happy dance - O.K. we do when it is over.. It is hard, long work but well worth the effort. I am so proud of you and just know most folks will never have this connect with what they do and we are a breed apart... Also know that while we lay flat on the wood floor to put our backs into place you will soon be having great fun up to your eyeballs in fiber - life does get any better then that

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  1:54:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for those words of advice Grace. You always put things so well! Waiting for that sunny day to wash fiber. Hopefully tomorrow, as like to get it done right away. Jill was a handful, trying to shear. And now her and Jack are not getting along, so have to keep them seperated.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  6:39:10 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I knew there was a lot of stuff going on, but it's unbelievable to see how much control certain companies have over the food industry! I can't believe that 13 states have a veggie libel law!!!! How insane!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on May 03 2010 6:41:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  04:14:17 AM  Show Profile
Hey ladies! Great news. My retiever had 8 puppies last night! Everyone is doing great but Molly is very tired and these puppies are hungry!
Just when I need reasurring that I am not completely mental, you girls always have things posted that I need. I have also watched that movie, how terrible. If you want a really good book to read about the food industry and the health care system read Natural cures by Kevin Trudeau. You will never want to have to rely on this again!
Well, I am going to visit my great aunt today. She is 94 years old and she is a former spinner. Hopefully I can borrow her carders for I still cannot find any! The Lord is testing my patience. 2 fleeces to card and no carders! Where there is a will there is a way. I will find some!
Sarita, glad to hear you are catching up on your sleep. The whole world looks different when you are not tired!
God bless everyones day!
Barb
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  06:29:46 AM  Show Profile
OH Barb - Congrat's on the puppies and give a big hug to Molly...
Eight such a round number - I hope we get to see pictures..

Have a wonderful time with your great aunt - such a great connection you must have with her - hope those carders are waiting for you there. If worse comes to wear you can always use a good dog slicker brush. Just flick opern the ends and you can spin from that - in fact that is one of my favorite ways to work with sheeps fleece. Depending on the breed it can go so very quickly.

I had Nick, Brooke and Baby Reece here Monday - Nick was great in putting the metal roof back on the smaller barn. Just in time because the winds are howling today. Brooke and I spent time figuring out my wonderful new camera they gave me as a birthday present. Reece spent some time in my arms sleeping and crying. He is still trying to get into a groove but compared to how Nick cried as an infant Reece is a quick baby. I hope to read all the instruction again today and post pictures soon - this camera is a marvel - a far cry from my floppy disk camera.

Have a wonderful day ladies. By the way that book is something - well worth the read. Monica, if folks only really knew what our powers to be can do to silence us they might become active in the process. I have been treathened with jail time unless I fill out the USDA animal count. It is funded by Monsanto and the last letter I got was telling me that because I refuse to fill out their forums it may mean other folks will not have the medicine available for their animals - I could not believe that one - really!!! The government has way too much involvement is controlling farms, breeders and small businesses... That is why I have been really considering not living in the States... I could tell you stories that would make your hair curl. But for now it is off to take care of my see ones..

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  06:47:10 AM  Show Profile
Grace,
I think that it is everywhere you go. In Canada, we have to have protocol for everything. In the milking barn we have to have protocol wrote down about how to milk a cow right down to wash your hands before you eat, I'm not kidding!
Next thing you know we are going to have protocol on going to the bathroom! It's amazing that the human race is still around. I'm sure glad that all of the food that is sold has a sticker on it, to tell us if it is safe or not to eat! What a joke. As you can tell, this stuff makes my skin crawl. Now they are talking that we are going to have to have a licence to grow a garden, and heaven forbid we sell anything. These people are so far from reality, I don't know where they come from. When people tell me so and so has this and that, I say,"if the grocery stores closes up tomorrow, would they die?" I know my family and I won't! This is what I mean from reality. We are on this earth to become not to acquire! Sorry ladies, just had to get that off of my chest!
Barb
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  08:17:46 AM  Show Profile
Barb - I am right there with you - sometimes you just want to scream. That is the time I quickly go outside and hug one of my sweet ones or get to the wheel and center myself. Last night as my son and daughter in law was leaving they both looked up and saw that incredible star filled black sky - Nick stated he so missed seeing the stars because in town they are lost. Just then my owl hooted and gave us a reminder that he watches over us. It seems like most of the modern world has forgotten what is given to us and it does not come from a big box store..

Now I will put away my soap box and enjoy the day at the Funny Farm

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  08:33:51 AM  Show Profile
They want a licenses for people yet those are the ones that are making up sick with their contaminated food, go figure!!!! Too much government is right!!

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  08:33:53 AM  Show Profile
goodmorning girls, this is my first post under this topic.went to a sheep and goat expo on a private farm. so fun. i opened up a whole new part of a farm. fiber. since i am moving from here, it may be my next farm learning project. i touched clean soft bluefaced leicester roving. wow then i saw soft colored fiber. one gal is my neighbor here. i will be here 4 more months. i am going to get to know her. she is willing to teach me.if i go off grid goats are certain. so now i am thinking fiber goat.if you know of previous posts i could go to and read i would love it. hoping to hear guidance and learn from you all. i am a soap maker also so will put the 2 together. i had been looking for some kind of medium to incorporate into my soap art sculptures.this is perfect. very interested in natural dyes from plants etc. happy days thanks ahead i will start reading on here tonight. go back some pages and try to learn from all your posts sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  09:43:28 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Sherrye - I think I have read some of your posts on other forums and we hope to help you in your new adventures. There are many posts to go thru and much has been talk about - so I can not point to any particular ones just alot of reading thru. We all will answer any and all questions - none too small or too big to tackle.

We have a passion for fiber, animals, and fiber arts - so WELCOME!!!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  10:51:47 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Sherrye, hope we can help. Do you have any pictures of your soap sculptures? I would love to see them....there is nothing as nice feeling as homemade goat soap.
Lots of luck and many blessings.
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  11:59:38 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. What a day yesterday! We had HUGE winds - upwards of 60mph and around here with all the pine trees that can spell disaster. Had a 6 hour power outage. I didn't lose any trees but a lot of branches all over but a lot of folks did especially in Spokane. One poor guy was at a stop light and a tree came down and hit the light and landed on his car. If it wasn't for the traffic light he probably would have been seriously hurt. Wind is calmer today but still plenty windy. The sheep were hunkered down in the barn all day - must have been pretty chilly without their wool. I knew the worst was finally over when they came out and started eating again. I think the four leggeds know more about these things than we do.

WA state has started charging sales tax on animal feed unless you file a form with the state. Once you do that, they count all your animals and charge you personal property tax on each and every one just as if they were equipment. I think it's just cheaper to pay the sales tax, myself. Has this affected you, Jami? Spokane County is notorious for it. The states want a piece of everyones pie. A few years ago the talked about putting water meters on peoples private wells as part of the Salmon recovery act. It nearly caused a range war so it was tabled.(for now)

Welcome to the group Sherrye. Have you decided where you are moving yet? I have followed a bit of your circumstances on another thread.

Congrats on the new batch of puppies. I love puppies. I had a golden for about 12 years. Unfortunately she got attacked by a pack of coyotes and died of her wounds. She was a great family dog when my kids were small.

Glad to hear your weather has moderated a bit, Grace. Around here it feels like March instead of May.

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  1:12:23 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Sherrye!

Well, my first fiber festival was wonderful! I met so many people, and was reassured that there are still a lot of "us" out there that care about the old ways. I got to spend the entire day with mom, too, so blessings were multiplied!

I had a golden retriever when I was a child in North Dakota. We found her as a puppy on the playground. Some rough boys were trying to push her down the slide and mom rescued her. I named her Fred. My grandmother called from Arkansas and tried to convince a 4 year old that she needed to have a girl's name, but I was stubborn. So she remained Fred her whole life. She eventually went to live with my grandmother. The huge running joke at my house is that when an animal needs a name it better get named fast or I will name it Fred! ( I have succeeded a few times!)

I am ready to get back to spinning. I spent so much time getting ready for that show that I didn't get to do much for myself. I was very encouraged, though, by our sales, and learned a lot, too. I hope to work at it while I still have a steady paycheck and hopefully eventually return to being a work at home mother. Teaching 9th graders is just about to eat my lunch. I need a less stressful job, and what could be better than kissing sheep noses, dyeing fiber and spinning?

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com

Edited by - lsarah on May 04 2010 1:13:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  4:26:21 PM  Show Profile
I am glad to know that we are all on the same page with too much government and big business trying to control what we are doing! I think that there are a lot of people that would not at all know what to do if the stores closed up! There are so many people that would not know how to cook a meal that does not come out of a box! I think that while technology has improved, we have also paid a terrible price for it in losing our own souls to being independent thinking human beings! The thing that is scary is that they are not even afraid to go after anyone with the food libel laws! The beef industry sued Oprah and while I don't particularly care for her I am glad that she fought back and won, but it took 6 years and 1 million dollars!

Simply for the fact that Gary does not make much at all we could qualify easily for food stamps and I absolutely refuse to do so because we can manage on our own and I do not want to be under a microscope any more than I have to be! I have heard of a law where it may become illegal to have your own garden and it's absolutely insane, but if people don't wake up and stand up we will be like the frog that never jumps out of the pan because it just gets hotter a bit at a time and he ends up frying to death! It seems like an impossible fight, but we are just like the movie "Ants" where the ants finally realize that they outnumber the grass hoppers that are controlling them! If I ever win the lottery I will just buy my own island and you can all move there with me! I won't ask anyone to register anything, but please do wash your hands before milking the cows!!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on May 04 2010 4:28:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  4:33:03 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, Welcome to the group!! There is an incredible amount of wonderful info here so I ma sure you will find the answers you are looking for!

Lori, Congrats on the show!! I am so glad to hear that it went very well for you!! I LOVE the name Fred! I have had a hamster and many goldfish names Fred!!I would have stuck with Fred too!

Sheri, I am praying the winds calm down for you!! If you do blow away try to aim south and you can come visit!!haha!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  6:16:40 PM  Show Profile
Lori, that is so funny, I have another dog named Fred! He is mostly collie, but we named him Fred because my little girl at the time could say Fred, so it stuck!
Well, I had the most lovely visit with my great aunt and you will never believe, but, she give me her carders!! They mean so much to me. She showed me all of the blankets that she wove and the rugs that she braided. One she said that she made the day Prince Edward was born. She sat on the floor braiding and was listening to the radio about the Queen being in labour. So amazing.
So, tonight I carded wool!! It felt so good I mixed alpaca and my wool and it looks beautiful. She even told me I could borrow her wheel. I just might take her up on the offer until I find one of my own.
Sheri, glad to hear that the wind has died down. It was plenty windy here also but not that bad.
Lori, glad to hear your show went well. I may be looking into something like that in the future.
Welcome Sherrye, I am very new to, these ladies are full of knowledge, wisdom, and encouragment. So glad to have you all in my life !

Well, off to bed another big day tomorrow.
Barb
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  8:19:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh I am doing the happy dance for your Barb - I knew you had cards in your future. What a wonderful memory you shared with your great aunt - such history - WOW!!! Your blend sound perfect and I can picture you in my mind sitting, carding and counting your blessings.

Sheri I am with you about the winds - today they clocked in at 79 here but some parts reached almost 100 - we got that roof fixed just in time and not a bit of movement - I so hate wind.

Lori I hope you have many more exciting adventures with shows - I have made some incredible friends thru them and learned so much about fiber and myself. It is a journey that shows you such talent and helps you grow. You will have to share more with us when you can.

Monica, If I purchase the island first you know you are coming RIGHT?? Besides how else will we get all the fiber done from all the animals we will own??? My four legged Monica was quite the snuggle bug today - not sure why but I never pass up a chance to snuggle with my sweet ones. I even had Ozzy today want me to pet him - WOW was I a lucky Duck today... I have that movie "ANTS" I so love it - your right if we all stood up and said NO MORE - boy could we change the world - I'm standing!!!

Hope all have a great tomorrow - Bye for now.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  9:56:41 PM  Show Profile
Grace, If you get the island first, you know I will be there! OH, give Monica a snuggle for me!!!! I am standing too!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on May 04 2010 9:57:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  03:27:49 AM  Show Profile
Can I come to the Island too? How perfect and serene. That is what I need. Please pray. My brother in law was found guilty last night in court and is going to have to do quite and bit of time. My children need prayers for them to understand why he has to go. Way too complicated for them, me too. Why can't everyone just obey what the Lord said and love everyone. I just don't get it.
I think the problem is everyone says they are too busy but they are too busy doing the wrong thing. I say stay busy doing holy things and everyone would get along. Why is this so hard?
Thanks everyone, I know I can count on you.
God Bless all of my friends.
Barb
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  04:59:23 AM  Show Profile
Prayers to you and your family Barb. I know it seems for some people the thought is the law means everyone but me....

My animals here are such comfort on those rough days of life/work. I come home and they are just who they are no false faces or anything.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  08:18:05 AM  Show Profile
thanks for the warm welcome. it will be a slow go at first. i have packing to do. i am hoping to go to my neighbors this sat. meet her fiber goats and learn more about the fiber. i have no pics right now. packed away. i am going to try to do a free form twisted oak or juniper tree. i need moss and texture. i think the fiber might work for that.i think i will go online also and read up on breeds etc. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  09:14:26 AM  Show Profile
Barb you and your family will be in my prayers and stay strong we are with you... You are more then welcome to our island - to some we might be considered the misfit toys but that works just fine for me.

Sherrye - I have tons of information on breeds and uses so if you need additional help just ask - also we can assist with what the market is using, looking for and what they do not want.

Hate to report the winds that where to be gone are howling loud and long. That meant little sleep for this fire sign gal. I hope to ply my newest singles I spun but we will have to see tons of paperwork, cleaning and stuff that the adult in me is saying I need to get done first. I have a dye pot finishing with some of my Icelandic Yarn that I spun this winter and hope to get it on line soon. I also finished some Cashmere/Silk lace weight yarn - they are also in dye pots - they are bold colors which I think will work best..

Have a wonderful day ladies - what new projects are you working on??

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  09:34:15 AM  Show Profile
Barb, your family is in our prayers. We will also pray for your brother-in-law.
Gals, save me a spot on your island. I listen to the news and when I hear how our rights are being taken from us and yet on the other hand as a nurse I have watched people not be able to afford their meds and ended up chosing to die other than leave their family bankrupt. The flip side is that students with medicaid tell me their parents will take them to the ER when they get home from school when it could be treated with an over the counter med at home....sometimes nothing makes sense. This is where money and evil lock hand and hand. Don't even get me started!
We need to love and take care of our own, be families, be good neighbors and friends and not count on the government to take care of us.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page