lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  5:14:43 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Rae, Angie go to mom's to have the baby! Would work out for you and her and the sheep! And if the little one snuck into the world as a surprise, I bet mom has helped birth a few babies before, even if they were sheep!

We start school on the 19th. It is gearing up this week with orientations and practices and stuff this week. Jessica has been at band practice for a week already. Hate to admit it, but I am a little sick of my boys bickering so much. This week, if they start, they are going to get to weed the flowerbeds as punishment!

Gave the new Wensleydale a bath today. He was such a sweetie, just stood there and took it like a gentleman. I will get some pics of him tonight hopefully. We named him Winston - he just looked like he needed a dignified name. Now he is all white and curly!

Been working off and on on my new loom. I am almost done with my first scarf. I am proud of it! Also been spinning up some fiber to keep. I had a deep golden yellow and fuschia roving that spun up gorgeous. I think it may become a Christmas present for my daughter, Jessica. I have been teasing Ethan that I am going to make him some leg warmers from it so he can wear them on the football field this fall so I can tell him from all the other players. We are in a standoff now. He says if I make them, he will wear them! Such a clown!

Mama is making beaded plying thread for this month's contribution to Phat FIber. She is using crochet cotton and tying beads every eight inches or so for yards and yards and yards. Then you use it when you ply your handspuns together and you wind up with beaded yarn - cotton hardly even shows. Such a neat idea! I am thinking I may have to get her to make me some.

Mom got a huge set of wool combs from a friend and sent them over here for me to use. I haven't decided if I like them yet or not. They are two pitch - pretty wicked looking weapons - and I can load lots of wool on them, but it seems like they are causing me to have a LOT more waste than my little set. I got Princess' fleece washed yesterday and about 1/4 of a brown coopworth/BL with a very long staple. Stan hooked me up directly to the hot water tank outside and I washed in two large canning pots from the resale shop! Worked great and no heat in the house, no running tap water to get it hot, no yuck in the septic tank and the grass got watered! Everybody wins!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  11:41:59 AM  Show Profile
Well I just got 16+ pounds of raw Targhee/ Merino in the mail today and so far so good! It does need washed but it looks pretty good! I am so relieved because I took a chance on getting it for a pretty low price without samples! I am going to do some hand painted sock yarns with it!
So much to do and so little time! We started back to home school today and it's going half way decent, but I have to confess that the thought of putting all of them into school and having the day to myself is still creeping around in my mind! Last year was a real struggle with home school and I guess maybe I am to stubborn or proud to admit defeat!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  12:42:48 PM  Show Profile
Monica,
I don't know how many or what age kids you have...I had four children and homeschooled all four. My daughter is now homeschooling the oldest three of her four (Baby Isaiah is only 1).
I remember those tough days, weeks, years...wishing for days I could have to myself. And, I must admit that one of the happiest days of my life was the day I finished my youngest son's transcript and sent it off the the university where he was planning to attend!
Now, I am not one of those that believes EVERYONE should homeschool their kids. You have to do what is best for your family in your unique situation.
I also don't know the reason you homschool...because that makes a difference, too.
Having said all of that, may I give you a bit of encouragement?
All the difficult days, difficult weeks, and even difficult years are so worth it! I look back with absolutely no regrets. My kids are not all super intelligent, super successful, or super triumphant over the temptations of this world. But, I have a great relationship with all my kids, and they have great relationships with each other. I don't believe it would be that way if they had gone to a traditional school situation.
My daughter is my best friend...and believe me...when she was at home, we were like sand-paper to each other. I would have never believed we would ever get along. The boys make me roll with laughter when they re-enact the mother-daughter feuds that were a part of many of our mornings! She was a very strong-willed child, and I was easy-going...so I didn't know how to handle this high-spirited child of mine.
I remember telling my husband many times that I didn't want to continue. But he would tell me that i needed to persevere. And, so I would. I remember mornings when I would lay in bed and pray, "Lord, I really don't want to do this today." But, somehow, I always found the strength.
I may have done a few things differently, maybe I wouldn't. I don't know. What I do know is this: I am so glad I stuck it out. When I look back, it seems like I blinked my eyes and it was over. And now, I have the rest of my life to do whatever I want!
Many of my now-adult-daughter's friends can't stand their mothers, or can't stand to spend much time with their mothers. They can't believe it when she tells them I am her best friend! How sad is that?
My daughter wants to move to our farm and live here. All of my kids hope to one day. How many people's kids want to be that close to them all the time? My two youngest sons are here every chance they get. Our oldest son lives in Japan, so he can't be here as much as he would like, but he can't wait to be able to be here and spend more time with us.
The family bonds you build by working through those challenges are irreplaceable. And you can never get that time back. I am not a big believer in "quality time" over "quantity time". Some of the most special, spur-of-the-moment, "quality times" just can't be planned for. And you are the one that is there for them in the most important times...to share their joys, thir struggles, their sorrows, their fears.
I hope that has helped in some way. Remember why you homeschooled in the first place. Write those reasons out for yourself. When you struggle, read them again to remind yourself why you are doling this, and why it is important.

Angie-Jessica buys a lot of her diapers from an online place called Hyenacart (I think that's how it's spelled). It's similar to Etsy, I guess. The cloth diapers she uses are not like the old ones I used that had to be folded and doubled! And they have some sweet little prints. I wish you the best.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  12:54:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi all. Just taking a break from cleaning carpets. I like to get it done while it's still hot enough for things to dry out rather quickly. Not my favorite job that's for sure.

I'm glad that your wool was worth the gamble, Monica. Are you going to knit the socks yourself or sell the yarn? I tried to home school my kids for awhile but I found that they took instruction better from someone else. I got tired of the battle. That doesn't mean that I quit teaching at home because with the education that the public schools offer it's still necessary if you want them to actually have an education that teaches them to actually reason or understand what the significance of the material is. Too much emphasis on test taking. They really liked going to school though and it did buy me some time to get my work done (I had my own kitchen design/cabinet shop st the time).

I'm with Rae, Angie....have the baby where Mom is. Then you both win. I used cloth diapers on my kids and sure never regretted it. It's a lot cheaper and healthier as well. I found that it's so much easier to potty train too as the disposibles don't let them know they are wet so they don't care one way or the other.

I started plying my lace weight last night but didn't get as far as I'd hoped. We worked in the garden and around the yards all day cutting and bagging knap weed and I just pooped out. Today I decided I couldn't put those carpets off any longer (procrastination over that sort of stuff could go on forever...)or before I know it summer will be over and I will regret not having done them. I'd much rather be plying than cleaning that's for sure!

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  8:32:47 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I can't begin to tell you how encouraging you are too me!! I am so glad that you joined our little group here! You are a perfect addition! I have Olivia age 5, Hannah age 6 and Isaiah age 8 and I can so relate to days where I would lay in bed and tell the Lord I don't want to do this anymore! Last year was simply put a disaster! Isaiah is very strong willed and even though I am too, he always seems to manage to get the best of me! I have always wanted to home school my kids. Some of the other factors are the fact that school is 20 minutes away and the class sizes are 30+ kids in each class. I thought that it would be easy to handle teaching 3! Boy was I wrong!
The one thing that really has struck me is that it's amazing that any of us have figured out the English language! How on earth do you explain to a child that even though "done" has a silent e on the end the o in the middle is not a long o, but it's completely different for the word hone which is a long o! Go figure!
Today was our first day and I have to say that it went much better than I had expected! We got through a good deal of math and a lot of spelling and Isaiah is going to read to his dad tonight! The girls also did better than before! The one thing that is also hard is that my mom thinks I ought to put them in school partly because we did so poorly last year! I do have to say that Gary has been very supportive on homeschooling them this year and keeps telling me not to give up so that helps a lot besides tons of prayers! It is hard at times not to think of all of the free time I would have if I just put them all into school. Thank you so much for all of the encouragement!

Sheri, I think I am going to wash and list some of the wool and spin some to sell! My kids don't take instruction that well from anyone! They are all getting better with me, but I remember when Isaiah was in 1st grade his teacher called and had me talk to him because he simply would not do his math work! Unfortunately I can tell you exactly who he got his stubbornness from! You will have to show us pics when you get your yarn plied! Mine seemed to take forever to ply!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  09:28:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies! Sorry it's been a bit. I've been so busy! It may be a little bit before Mom gets back on too. Her house was struck again. The internet is out. She was actually standing pretty close to where I was when I was hit. Strange huh? She's okay and didn't feel any shock from it. Thank you Lord!

If I could go to Mom's and have the baby, I would, believe me. I love her so much and it's really important to me that she be near me when I have the baby. My husband works at the hospital here and the hospital writes off a lot of what the insurance doesn't cover. I really wish she had someone reliable she could count on to watch the farm for a few days.

Thanks for the tips on the cloth diapers. My mil and I went on a shopping binge yesterday (I know, I haven't even had my first prenatal appt yet, but we couldn't wait) and we bought the mio nappies to start things off. We also bought 2 cribs (one for there and one for here) a travel system (stroller and infant car seat in one), a high chair for her house and the most amazing swing/cradle/glider combo. I couldn't sleep last night and came into the couch (I have these little bouts where it feels like nerve endings are firing off all over my body. Anyone else ever experience that?) and Wayne turned on the music to it putting me right to sleep.

Brenda, Your relationship with your daughter is amazing. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have her and her kiddos at arms reach all of the time? I'll definitely check into hyenacart. Thanks for the tip!

Well, Wayne and I have to go pick up the cribs and such so I'll have to read over everyone's posts a little closer later to see how you're all fairing. Have a great day ladies!

-Ang

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
http://happeningsofangieandwayne.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  10:42:31 AM  Show Profile
You are all very wise women. I really enjoyed reading the posts. Good luck homeschooling. My kids went to public, but I did consider it. Now mine are all grown, and flown the nest. That time goes so fast. It is like I turned around and they are grown.
As if I didn't have enough projects in the works, I started a new one. I am knitting a moebius cowl. I don't remember what got me to looking up cowls, but ended up on ravelry, and found a free pattern. Guess I just needed to do something different! But there is a great youtube demo, if any are interested in trying it.
they are calling for a couple more days of hot humid weather, then supposed to get better. Sounds like it might turn into good hay cutting weather. would like to get that job finished.
Sold my jersey bull calf this morning, and going to post an ad for my hereford bull. Would be nice to sell him, as I need to get a new bull this fall.
Happy days
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  1:06:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies,
No internet for a few days, lightning struck again! It didn't actually hit the house but it hit really close and things were popping in the kitchen again. It did take out our internet. The telephone repairman came and put in a new box...up and going again.
We have been haying and I have been knitting for the new baby. I put pictures up on my blog.
I wish I could have homeschooled my children but things just didn't work out that way. Homeschooling is for some and not for others. We have some neighbors that ran a green house a few miles away and their two children were homeschooled and did very well in college. Both were given the best education. On the other hand, I have seen students that parents were trying to homeschool and they ended up in the public school system and were so far behind the other students. I think some people can homeschool and others can't. Brenda, it sounds like your children got your best and received a very good education, you and your daughter sound like me and Ang. Ang was a very head-strong child and I know that I couldn't have been her teacher. She was a very bright child in school and would listen to other people before she would me. We have always been very close but more so as we get older.
Lori, how is the new lamb's wool? Is it course or fine and how long is the stable? Does the lady have many ewes? I would love to have one. A lady in Oklahoma would show her sheep of that breed at Sedalia and their wool had a very nice handle.
Michele, will we ever be done haying? Rain, we cut over a hundred bales that got wet so we can redo and bale again after getting the hay dried out. Hope it works.
I have been knitting on a cocoon that Ang wanted for the baby. I took pictures and put on the blog.
Rae, did the storms get close Sunday?

later girls
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  5:33:47 PM  Show Profile
No storm on Sunday here, just sticky Tonight rumbling quite a bit and rain but still sticky

I home schooled my youngest her last 2 years of school There was nothing to challenge her and I knew the weak areas so really hit them with her. She always said I was tougher than the school but she did really well in college. The books we used were written at a higher level which helped.

Been hot and very humid here, sheep don't even come out of the shed right now and can't say I blame them one bit.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  07:35:01 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies!
We had a nice, gentl rain this morning. It seems to have cooled things off just a bit, but they are still promising high temps for later in the day. I am trying so hard to keep my sheep comfortable. I know it's crazy, but a few of these hot days I have wished I could put them in some AC! We have been the hottest spot in the country this week, according to local news. I thought we would be getting out of the heat of the south moving up here! I guess the joke's on me!
Monica, thank you so much for your nice comments. I was a little nervous that maybe I over-stepped, but you put my fears to rest.
I certainly understand about non-supportive parents (and in-laws, too). My mom didn't say a whole lot, but my dad was always making comments. My MIL didn't say a whole lot to me, but she made comments to my husband. I know she just didn't "get" it!
Even though she was homeschooled herself, Jessica was a bit nervous about homeschooling her own kids. She has rough days, and she has days when she isn't sure she is doing it "right". When she calls me, I try to encourage her as much as I can. I figure you have to do pretty bad to do worse than the public schools do. Don't get me wrong, there are some wonderful teachers out there (my SIL is one of them), but even the good ones are bound by the system. I see the frustrations my SIL has dealing with the administratve garbage. She jumps through hoops to try to teach her students well, in SPITE of the system. It's ridiculous. And Sheri is right, it has become so test oriented, if you really want your kids to be able to think outside of the ovals, you have to supplement their education at home. You might as well just homeschool them if you're going to have to do all of that! At least for me, that seemed easier!

Okay, here's a warning to all you ladies in his forum: I finally convinced my daughter to join us here! Her name is Jessica Wylie...a.k.a. Mrs. Coyote! So watch out, there's going to be a coyote among us sheep and goat people soon!
Hope everyone has a great day.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  08:43:33 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning!! Hope everyone is having cooler weather today! Right now it's just above 80 and cool.

Sarita, I am glad to hear that you are okay from the lightning! Last year when we had thunderstorms, we had lightning hit about 1/4 mile from the house down in town and it messed up almost everyone's internet! It was so loud and scary and it wasn't even that close, close enough though!

Angie, It sounds like you are going to be all ready by the time your little one arrives! I did cloth diapers with all three of mine as much as I could! I was a task to keep up with the wash, but it saved so much $$ over disposable ones, besides the fact that disposable ones take forever to break down in the garbage! I figured I was doing my part to help the environment!

Michele, I have so many projects in the works that it's not even funny!!:)

Rae, I hope your weather cools off for you! Have you got a chance to try the drop spindles?

Brenda, You didn't over step at all! I really needed some encouragement! My mom is not totally against it, it's just that last year was so awful trying to home school that she is worried about the kids being behind in learning! There are some really good teachers out there, but I agree with you about being bound by the system! Isaiah's 1st grade teacher said that there is no more mastery of subjects because they have so much that they are required to get through in a year. The one thing that is hard for me is how much they push to teach even in kindergarten! It's no longer a half day of getting the social interaction part down, it's pretty much 1st grade! Everything is pushed so much, but it does not seem that the end result is smarter kids instead we have 10 year olds with high blood pressure and stress related health issues! On top of that, the President wants to make school from 7a.m. to 5p.m. why don't they just live at school?!!! It will be great to have your daughter here with us!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  11:20:32 AM  Show Profile
Afternoon all Another hot and muggy day here in MN.

No Monica I have not had a chance to try the spindles. I just finished an afghan I need for a wedding gift and am trying to finish up a baby one that is for a gift as well. Figure that will be my late fall winter project

Sheep still staying in their house, laying in the back where it stays fairly cool.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  12:28:58 PM  Show Profile
Nice cool rain this morning and made a trip to Kirksville and it got hot. I know what you mean about putting in ac for the sheep.
Brenda, we will welcome Coyote with open arms. It's funny that our daughters our following in our footsteps! Pretty neat!
Monica, how is Gary? Is he getting back to work soon? How is your new fleece coming along?
I picked up supplies for school nurse's office this morning. Also went to the University book store to look at nurse scrubs...found some cute ones.
I stayed up until 1:30 am knitting on another cocoon. Yellow and green. I got some fleece to make a lamb to decorate them. Hope I can make this look great. When I can them finished, I will take more pictures to put on my blog. I used the green and yellow to make the cocoon last night. Why didn't I think of making these for my babys way back when????
I need to try on my new scrubs and get them washed and hung up. I will be going back to work on the 19th...where did this summer go?
Sheep are laying in the barn, so I better do a barn check.

Later
Sarita

"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  1:00:02 PM  Show Profile
Sarita,
The cocoon is adorable! I wonder if I could crochet something like that. The little lamb really sets it off. I can't wait to see the next ones you make and see if the fleece works out. That will be so neat. And I am going to have to try that jelly recipe! My aunt makes a jalapeno jello that my husband just loves. I wonder if he would like the apricots in it. We had it(Auntie's jalapeno one) with cream cheese on bagels for breakfast. Yum!
It's 100 degrees at 3 PM. Slightly cooler than yesterday! I guess the rain helped a little...a VERY little! Doesn't seem quite as humid, anyway.
I went out to give the sheep fresh water and electrolytes and found our little escape artist outside the fence. At least she came when I called her. Her name is Zinnia, but I think I'm gonna start calling her "Houdini"! If there is even a bit of "give" in the fence, she will make her way through it. Sometimes we can't even see where she could have got out. The electric mesh is the only thing she doesn't get out of.
Oh, Sarita, do you use a dog to herd your sheep ever?

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  5:30:15 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I don't have a herding dog, I do feed with a bucket at times so that I can coach my sheep about anywhere with the bucket. I also use a cow bell, I ring it before feeding and now the sheep run in when I shake the cow bell. I do feed every now and then so they will keep coming when called.
I think the cocoon pattern could easily be switched to crochet. It goes together really quick and they are so soft.
Brenda, the jalapeno jelly has a very subtle taste of apricot. I don't even like hot stuff to eat but when I tried this with the cream cheese on crackers, I become addicted. My kids really like it. I put a plate in the kitchen while I am cooking and they sit at the table and talk to me instead of being in the living room.
That rain made it like a sauna didn't it. Chances of rain again tonight.
many blessings
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  9:35:45 PM  Show Profile
I hope everyone has had a good day!

Sarita, Gary is doing better, but still walking with a cane. He has been working some on the house and today we got the one air conditioner put in! Steve is going to back in town in a week and he is going to put the drywall up so we need to have everything ready to go by then and then after that we just need to paint and put the carpeting in! My mind is in such a tizzy right now because we really could be moving within a month! I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I washed some of the Targhee/Merino and it came out really nice. I think I am going to wait until after we move to get organized. There is just so much going on right now that I can't focus well on changing things on etsy! I would like to get the pound of Shetland from you, if you still have it! I would also like to get some of the blue faced BL/Shetland from you, but I may have to hold off on that just for right now! I still want to get some soon though!

Brenda, I do hope that your weather cools off for you!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  09:19:04 AM  Show Profile
hot...hot...hot...

Today is supposed to be the hottest day yet, and tomorrow even hotter. Weather guesser is predicting rain after that. I sure hope so!

Had a scare a couple of days ago. Our chicken house is in the middle of the ram pasture. The chickens are let out to forage during the day and put up at night. No problems so far. Our rooster has started chasing Avery, so he decided he doesn't want to let them out in the mornings like he always has. Ethan did it a couple of days ago, but didn't know to pour the feed in the chicken feeder back in the can, and I didn't think to tell him. Our BL ram got in and ate the feeder clean. He was BLOATED. Big time. I thought for sure in this heat that we would lose him, but God blessed us and he is still here. I am not sure we are out of the woods yet. The feed has copper sulfate in it.

Sarita ~ I bought his lamb fleece and it is super soft and curly. I bet I got it from the same lady you are talking about - Kate. I haven't had time to work on it. A lady at the fiber show bought several of my natural rovings, and wanted to know if she could buy some more shetland from a different sheep, so I have been washing and combing and carding away. I am working on coopworth/bl cross right now. It is chocolate brown and beautiful. So glad you weren't hurt in the lightning.

I have been working on a page to go with my blog that shows all the sheep. If you go to the blog, on the upper left side, it has "Pages". There is the main and the fiber herd page. I had looked into having a web page done, but just don't want to spend the money and am way too computer illiterate to do it myself! I haven't got pics of the rams yet, and a couple of the ewes need better shots, but they are coming. I want to make one for our dorpers and one for the goats also. So much to do, so little time!

For some crazy reason I bought some gorgeous 100% silk lace weight yarn from a destash and have been petting it for a couple of months now. I took the plunge and started a scarf last night. It is like knitting with sewing thread! I am using the old feather and fan pattern. It sure will be pretty when it is done!

School starts on the 19th here, too. I had considered home schooling my kids when the oldest started kindergarten, and have several friends that do an outstanding job. I figured out really quick that my daughter and I are like oil and water when it comes to her learning something. Now that she is a teenager, I am so glad I didn't. She is a grouch enough of the time as it is. Don't get me wrong, she is a blessing and has a better attitude than many of the 15 year olds I taught, but WOW, no one prepares you for this! It isn't easy. As a public teacher, I saw lots of sad cases where students were just too lazy to do the work and parents pulled them out because they were tired of fighting the kids and were going to "homeschool" them. Those kids fell through the cracks and the parents do such a dis-service to their children. I have also had kids that were so well taught at home that they were far ahead of their peers when they joined public school for whatever reason. My first college room mate was homeschooled, as were her three older siblings, and she had such a well rounded education that it puts public school to shame. You are right. We are forced to teach to the test. It is disgusting, and a small part of the reason I was unhappy in my job. Keep up the good work. Come here and let us encourage all of you who are homeschooling.

Well, off to deliver another child to another practice today. Everybody stay cool!

~Lori

Edited by - lsarah on Aug 12 2010 09:22:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  10:28:30 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning all. Glad that you had no real damage from the lightening again, Sarita. Who says that lightning doesn't strike twice? Sounds like all of you have had more than your fair share of heat. I hope you all get some respite. We have had cool weather the past three days but it's supposed to be heating back up to near 100 in the next few days. I'm sure my sheep won't appreciate it one bit. They have been lazing around as it is!

Still working on some clean up around the house. I really need to start ripping stuff apart and just getting rid of stuff in a big way. I am still having a major mouse issue and I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and put out decon as much as I hate it and it's aftermath. I have caught 16 or so in the snap traps and still have mega droppings where I just cleaned - grrrrr.....They got into my soap curing rack and chewed up about 16 bars of soap!! You'd think they would die of indigestion. Went into the pantry last night and they had chewed through a bag of basmati rice and it had to be thrown out. I HATE mice!!!! I can't say that I hate much in this life but that is one I truly detest. Sorry for the rant but it's been the bane of my existence for quite awhile now. I think I have them gone and boom - they're back again.

Glad to hear that Gary is some better and that progress is being made on the house again. How is the schooling going?

Sarita there is a great baby sock pattern on Knitting Daily that I have made a couple of times. They have a lot of free patterns if you sign up for the newsletter. Spin Off has a lot of freebies too if you sign up for them as well.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  11:06:35 AM  Show Profile
Lori, thanks so much for your gracious comments about homeschooling. I know a lot of school teachers who become quite offended by the idea of people who homeschool. The funny thing is how many prior school teachers have chosen to homeschool their children! And many of them would tell you that, in many ways, it is actually harder for professional teachers to teach their own children at home because of their "conditioning" to the traditional classroom.
I did some teaching in the school where we worked in Africa, and I taught it a lot like I had taught my kids at home! I think it was quite different for my kids...but they did really well once they figured out that I wanted them to think outside the box rather than regurgitate the information. "My" kids where the first group to do well on their exams for entering Senior Secondary School and get into some of the best schools in that country (it's very competetive there). Some are even going on to university now.
Sheri,
I am a fellow rodent-hater! Hate is not a strong enough word! I am not afraid of bugs, snakes (we once had a spitting cobra outside our kitchen door in Africa, and I was the first one out there to have a closer look...LOL). But I just despise mice! We have been pretty blessed to have never had a real big problem anywhere we have lived, except the old farm house I grew up in where we had loads of them. But I knw we will have them in this old farm house we just moved into. The lady we bought it from said she had them pretty bad, especially in the winter. We have had several since we moved in in March and have traps set. We also put poison out. I am dreading this winter! I hope we will be able to really "mouse-proof" the house when we remodel. I really need to get upstairs and sort out the storage areas where I have piled my craft stuff before the winter hits. Your posts have made me realize that fact! Just as soon as this heat lets up, I'm gonna get up there and get busy before the mice can get in there and get busy!
Sarita, I keep thinking about you getting lightening strikes twice! I think Angie may be right about this being a good year to play the lottery! Praise the Lord no one was seriously hurt.
It's another hot one today. They are promising relief by the weekend. I sure hope so.
Where did Grace get to? I've missed her comments. I went back and am reading the many pages of convo from the beginning. I had read the first few and then jumped to the end to get involved! I went back to the beginning and am working my way up, now. It is like reading a huge, fascinating book! I am on page 9. Grace and Sarita have been there from the beginning! I have really enjoyed working throught the evolution of this thread. I wonder where some of the others who used to be on here went to?

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  6:14:35 PM  Show Profile
Brenda isn't the information wonderful!! I have learned more from these wonderful ladies than anyone/thing. My hubby even tells me quick post this question or call.... as we are both new to sheep.

Thank you again everyone from the bottom of my heart

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  6:16:49 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, If you put peppermint oil on a cotton ball and put them around the house it will keep the mice away! I heard of this and tried it on the porch and it seemed to work for a while! I didn't see our usual mouse for about 2 weeks! You just need a drop on a cotton ball and it seemed to work! I don't mind mice, but I don't want them in my house! Grace over did it repairing her driveway and her computer has been acting up! Hopefully she will back on with us soon!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  7:54:30 PM  Show Profile
Ugh - don't even get me started on mice! We quit counting at 36 last year! And believe me, the count went up much, much higher. Up to that point the most we have ever had was 2 in one winter. Stan got pretty good with an air soft and the weinie dog is apparently half cat, he can catch them pretty good! I have already seen one this year. I will try the peppermint. I do not want to use poison. We hear them scratching in the walls and we have a crawl space, which probably is like a superhighway for them. I can just imagine the smell if they passed away in the walls.

Sarita~ I got a picture of the Wensleydale on the blog. I still can't figure out how to do it here.

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  8:01:20 PM  Show Profile
Lori, YOu have to upload the pictures to either Photobucket or Picasa and then put them on here. If you want I can copy your picture and post it here for you or let me know and I can walk you through posting it here!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  8:05:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi Fiber Friends,
Today has been sooooo hot! It was 100 in the shade at 4:20pm. I went over to school today to put away supplies and getting paper work ready for the first day of school. Had AC there but not a real cool like Danny keeps our house.
I can't stand to have the mice move into our old farmhouse so I put out mouse poison...yep, I do. I put it under cabinets with the doors shut or behind closed doors where the dogs and cats can't get to it. I hate, hate the smell of dead mice and the hunt is on but when I think of a mouse being in my house and what likes to hunt mice besides cats...snakes. Girls, I am so afraid of snakes. When we were looking for a house years ago in the Trenton area the locals spoke of rattle snakes being on the west side of Thompson River but hardly any on the east side. Told my husband that we were not even looking on the West side of the river and we didn't. But we had lots of snakes in our yard...ground snakes and garter snakes. The first summer we were there, a little garter snake would come up on the first step of our back porch and sun. Had big black snakes too. Soooo NO MICE! I may give the peppermint oil a try.

Thanks for all the ideas for making baby things. Ang went to the doctor today and I got my first picture of peanut. Ang was a big baby but then she stayed pretty small while in school. They both want this baby so much and I think that is my lottery winning.

Can you believe this lightnening thing? There is a bank building to the southwest and to tell you the truth, I once loved to watch a storm and now I have a fear, When we first moved over to these hills, I would run around the house and go upstairs to watch the clouds swirl around with a pending storm, almost like I was right in the clouds. I can't imagine what it would be like to live in the mountains.

Ladies, are your sheep eating lots of mineral and salt? My are really putting it away since we have had the heat. I walked around petting and talking to the girls and babies tonight. I put my hands on their backs and see if I can feel the back bone since the wool can hide the physical body of the sheep. I am also watching for dirty behinnies, a sign of worms. We have had so much moisture this year, the right breeding ground for worms. So many of the lambs have become accustomed to me bringing out treats and feeding them that they follow me around. They really like animal cookies. Can't keep my hands out of that fiber.

Let's be praying for Grace to get to feeling better and also a quick healing for her computer. I saw that she was on facebook.

I miss Jami, she has went to facebook. She could always make me smile and knew so much about sheep. Just like you girls, you become accustom to seeing people's comments on here and when they don't post anymore, it is like an old friend moves away. Glad that you all keep me engaged.

Shower time, then bedtime.

God Bless you
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  8:11:51 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, I started a Facebook page to try and drum up some more advertising for my etsy page and so far I am not really sure it's worth it! Grace started a page to advertise too and she is still wondering about it also! When I posted that I was having a 2 year anniversary sale, I did not get one comment! Facebook still confuses me and I don't like it nearly as much as right here! Facebook to me half of the time is like being in a room with a lot of people, but nobody is really talking to each other! It's kind of weird!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page