Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  12:31:52 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Jessica. Bare with us, at times our minds are full of fiber.

Sheri, I have to get boxes and label them. I sort everything into these boxes and then I break it box down. I always find out that I should have gotten rid of twice as much as I do and end up later parting with it.

Lori, would love to see a pic of your backpack...did you post it on your blog?

Sun is shining and I just got home from school, need to change and get busy. It has really warmed up today. Danny had picked a few of his melons so that is what I ate when I got home. uhummmmm good!

Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  3:44:08 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Jessica - My Mother and sisters are from Frankfurt - I am the only one born here. How exciting to have you and never worry about the title of our group - we talk of many things. How lucky to have fruit trees - I tried cherry trees here but a herd of elk just plowed them into the ground when they broke thru my fence line... Long story.. Again, Welcome.

I spent more time then my brain or body wanted trying to arrange things on Etsy - Yes, I did sound out my complaints but I guess the rest of the world LOVES the changes.. I admit I handle change much better when I am feeling 100%.

Angie I have been placing you in our prayer circle just so things will be running smoother for you. I had not one craving but I sure could eat HOT spicy foods during that time. The hotter the better. Now, I am a wimp - my husband would marvel that I could out eat him in that department. It was also the only time I could eat peanut butter without hearburn. After going thru this again with my DIL I must say all those memories came flooding back - both the good and bad but it sure gave me a connection to my sons that I had not expected... Stay well and journal as much as you can - someday those brain cells will fail some and it is great to have it written down.

Lori, I have such faith in your ability I know that you will be one of the bus drivers that all the kids talk about in a good way. Your love, thoughtfullness and joy will be just what they need on those long school days. What are you knitting?? I took a nap so should you!

Hate to tell you ladies but after spending the night in the house with all kinds of care the little white hen passed peacefully in the night. I cried but then remember how many years of pure joy we shared together and how I wished that love could be shared by all. I have said my goodbyes, whispered my prayers and now return her to Mother Nature. Her pal is lost today and has kept herself next to the shop door or with me for the day. I will give her popcorn and melon tonight in hopes of calming her down. Hard to believe how attached I get to such small creatures...

On a up note - I found out my cocoons will be in a featured article International Jewelry Magazine in September... As soon as I get all the details I will have to share -I am not trying to brag or anything I am just so excited!! My customers are so sweet to bring me along with the grand publications. This is the shot in the arm I needed during this blue mood I found myself in while trying to heal my body.

I better get downstairs and eat something but I also wanted to let you all know how much I love reading about your days - see you on the deck, porch or back steps tonight with a cool drink - we all worked hard today dealing with change - we deserve a break!

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  4:11:42 PM  Show Profile
Hello and a special hello Jessica! Don't feel bad about not knowing this is the place to learn!!

The USDA trapper guy came out today and set some traps on our back 40. Don't know who thinks there are not enough wolves as there sure are a lot around here, just better stay away from my sheep!

Rainy day and did not feel good at all so nothing done, hate that I feel like I wasted a day. I did do some crocheting so guess not a total waste. Tomorrow dentist/eye appt day in the morning. Cooled down here and yesterday sheep were just laying outside enjoying the breeze and cool weather

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  4:58:05 PM  Show Profile
Rae, sorry to hear your not feeling well - I have you in my prayers. Not a wasted day if you are taking care of yourself but I know what you mean. I keep counting all the things I am not getting done now and wondering how I will catch up. WOLVES - keep those sheep close... That is one animal I do not have to deal with - we had a wolf/dog roaming inside the fence years ago but a neighbor took care of him and has his pelt on the wall.. Be safe when going outside at night - they fear nothing.. Good luck with the appointments tomorrow.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  6:20:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies! I want to thank everyone for the prayers. I haven't been able to get on here in a few days because I've been a bit out of it. I really haven't been throwing up much, more of a "get that away from me or I'll puke" kinda thing. It could be much worse. I haven't had an appetite at all, but I did find a food that makes me feel much better. Cantaloupe! I started getting a little queasy while in the grocery store today and out of desperation I grabbed a cantaloupe. I came home, poked some of it down and felt much better. Wayne has decided to stock up on them. :) LOL

I wanted to welcome Jessica too. I'm Sarita's (AKA Keeper of the Past) daughter. From what I hear, our relationships with our mom's are quite a bit alike. Your mom is a sweetheart. I look forward to getting to know you. Go ahead and embarrass her a little. I do it to Mom I'm sure!

Grace, I'm so sorry to hear about your chicken. I get so attached to every animal I come into contact with so I completely understand. Anytime we'd lose one of Mom's sheep, I'd bawl like a baby and still do when I think about them. She had these two black sheep who were the sweetest, Patch and Eliza. They put off the most beautiful deep dark chocolate wool. While I was at her house recently, she gave me some of Eliza's roving to spin and I tear up while working with it. (Of course my hormones are a little wild, but it's like losing a longtime friend.) Her buddy must be so sad. I'll put you and your's in my prayers. Congrats on the cocoons though. That's great.

Brenda, I love ya girl, but you're killin' me with the egg sandwiches. I typically love them, but goodness, not today! LOL

Sheri, I'm so glad you got your hay and it's great that they unloaded it for you. After bucking some bales at Mom's, I can really appreciate that!

I hope all is going well in the hectic lives of all of you. It sounds like it's cooled down for most everyone. I'm glad you're getting a break from the heat. Monica, Is it still steaming hot there. I sure hope for relief for you. I can't stand hot and sticky! Yuck!

Rae, I'm with you on the protection of animals who are a threat to our livelihood. The only good wolf near a sheep farm is a dead one! I know that's harsh, but if they tie your hands in protecting your land and animals, where are your rights as a landowner. Okay, enough of the soapbox. I hope you get to feeling better and don't look at today as a day waisted, but as a day of much needed rest.

Take care ladies!
Angie

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
http://happeningsofangieandwayne.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Little Red Caboose on Aug 18 2010 6:22:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  7:16:44 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Angie! I'm sure Jessica will not hold back if she thinks she can embarrass me! LOL! Just kidding...she sure can make me laugh, though, that's for sure.
Sorry about the egg sandwches!

Well, it looks like I won't be able to get tucked into my craft closet tomorrow, either. Greg wants to leave early for Chilicothe...so much for that plan. Guess it will be Friday before I get up there. Oh, well, the temps are back up a bit, and supposed to drop again on Friday, so maybe it's for the best.

I am thinking of getting a couple more ewes...at least a black one. I'm hoping for some nice black lambs from my big guy and this gal.

Thanks to everyone for welcoming Jessica with open arms!

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  04:17:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jessica, it is nice meeting you and you will enjoy chatting and learning from this group.
Brenda did you get that craft closet organized yet? Good luck. I have been wanting to get things moved around here, waiting to get caught up on everything else first.
Rae that is terrible about the calf. Keep your eyes and ears open. I have my trusty 22 ready here. I know it is not very big, but figure I can still do some damage.
Grace, congratualtions on being in the magazine. That is great. Hope you are feeling better, and healing.
Sheri you are cleaning too! It will be nice when your done, and you can step back and look at it all!
Sarita, still waiting on cutting more hay. Looks like maybe Saturday right now. About 35 acres will be going down.
Boy Lori the back pack got done, just in time! I sewed alot of my boys clothes when they were young!
Been busy canning. Will go elderberry hunting today. Elderberries are so good for you. My sister and I got a juicing pot, so will be making lots of concentrate. It really helps ward off colds and flu. Got a good hunk of my garden cleaned out the other day. Finished picking corn yesterday, so need to get out and cut those stalks and give to the cows. I did get the empty parts of the garden tilled, and got rye seed thrown in. Hoping to keep the weeds at bay. One of these days I will get back to carding wool. I want to get that done, while the weather is nice, outside. Then this winter I can spend more time spinning. Havent' had a chance to do any more dyeing.
Take Care All
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  05:08:38 AM  Show Profile
Rae, hope you are feeling better.

Congratulations Grace. I will be looking for that article.

I got an email this morning from the Dancing Ewe Yarn Shop and our old sheep friend, Jami, is going to be the new store manager. Talk about dying and going to heaven. Getting to touch the different fibers all day...unpacking the boxes with the new yarns, how great would that be? Maybe even some time to knit. Congratulations Jami.

I had a ewe with bottle jaw last night so she got wormed. I knew it was just a matter of time with the wet summer we have had. I also gave the ewe a dose of pencillin. I had just petted her the night before and did not see any symptoms. Another good reason to walk around in the flock daily.

Got to be at school today...everyone have a good day!
Sarita

"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

Go to Top of Page

Mrs.Coyote
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

jessica

Germany
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  05:55:23 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Ladies all sooo much!! :heart i feel so loved and welcomed :smile Germany has its neat things but we really miss the USA.

Im with you Angie...Eggs while pregnant...gross... :) I usually crave mexican food and ice cream, or really anything thats food i can eat :) lol

im sorry about your Chicken Grace :( thats so sad. Esp. for the chicken left beind!

Homeschooling,sling-wearing, breastfeeding, farmdreaming Mommy to 4!!
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  11:54:06 AM  Show Profile
Well, I survived the morning bus route! One more to go today, but at least the kids will be on the bus and hopefully tell me when to stop instead of me having to guess! Kindergarten parents were EVERYWHERE this morning and it was a little tight in some places driving a sideways skyscraper!

Sarita - I will post pics of her backpack somewhere, I'll let you know. She loved it so much that I thought she might sleep with it last night to keep it close! That tickles me more than the fact that I made it!

So sorry about your chicken, Grace. I just was sick when we lost several of ours earlier this year, and I hadn't even formed an attachment to them. We did have one disappear the other night, and I can't say as it bothered me. It was one we chased and chased at night trying to get it in the coop when everybody else was already in there. Sounds cold hearted, but in 105 degree heat, it gets old after 30 minutes each night.

The cow is doing better. Stan had to give her 60 cc of LA200 last night. It appartently burns like fire and you are only supposed to inject 10 cc in any one location. She isn't halter broke, but she is in the little pasture with no head gate, so we haltered her and tied her to one of the foundation posts for the barn and started giving her the 6 seperate shots. Bout broke my heart. She moaned and stomped, but never at Stan, and she didn't fight. Never seen behavior like that before in my life. We have had them go down on their "knees" in the headgate before and still try to get away with just 5 cc of that stuff. The Lord sure is blessing us. Stan could have come out of that whole episode with some injuries, but he was even more surprised than me. She is healing up, too.

Warped the loom again today. Going to make 3 dishtowels on the same warp this time. I can weave them faster than I can warp them. Learned that lesson!

Grace, I am knitting that silk lace weight in the feather and fan pattern (old shale is another name for it). It makes me realize how old I am getting - my eyesight sure isn't what it used to be trying to see this tiny little thread. Fingers aren't as nimble either! If I ever drop a stitch, I may just cry. I am also working on a cabled scarf for my Jessica for Christmas. It is a pale lilac cashmere blend that I found at a resale shop. I tried the nap, but the neighbors are building something in their pasture and the dogs keep hearing snippets of voices and going nuts barking and protecting mama - outside ones start and inside ones finish it. So, no nap for me.

Angie - find something that stays down and stick with it. I drank tons of root beer, of all things. For some reason, no matter how much I drank, it stayed down, when plain water and crackers would not. Now I can't stand even the smell of it!

Sure is strange being home during the day. Sarita - hope you had a good first day back.

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  12:18:48 PM  Show Profile
Wow, lots to catch up on!

Grace, I am so sorry to hear about your hen!:( I posted a bunch of comments on the etsy forum, but I am realizing that this may be a good thing because I am on my way to creating my own website! One thing that I am excited about is that I am going to have a "friends" page so I can have links to other shops!!! So any of my famrgirl friends here that have a site or etsy will have a link to their shop on my site!!! Hope you are feeling better! Go ahead and brag all you want about the cocoons! That is so cool! I am so excited for you!!

Lori, They may put back some of the announcement section because that seems to be the biggest complaint, but I wouldn't hold my breath! As far as the bus route, just take a deep breath and relax!!:)

Rae, I will be praying that you feel better!!:)

Angie, I hope you are feeling well today! I know exactly what you mean about certain foods just have to stay a good distance! When I was pregnant with my first, I could not at all stomach the smell of coffee! It's still hot and humid here, but not as bad as it was earlier this week! It would be so nice if we would get a good rain, but I don't think there is any in the forecast!

I hope everyone has a great day today and enjoys nice cool weather!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  1:37:09 PM  Show Profile
Monica I had a whole 10 minutes of rain - washed the muggey smell out of the air and just as I was waking from my nap. My body it wears out quickly so I am being kind and laying down before dropping down. I worked on my announcement section of Etsy last night before bed and this morning I posted the new colors in silk rods. Love to hear what you think of them! I have two colorways in Mohair Boulce Yarns that I will post later today - I had thought of using them for the Phat Box but I think I would rather sell them.

Little story about my four legged Monica. Last night she was being a big girl. I have been training the llama girls to round them up and place them in the barn by whistle. Everyone is learning their roles very well but Monica decided she wanted to stay out a bit longer. Normally she is the first to run in the barn - last night she stood there stomping her feet at one of the llama girls. At first I was proud of her but then I clapped my hands which is my signal on the farm to run!! She gave me the meanest look and then stomped her feet at me. Again, I was a bit excited to see her come into her own but around here we can not afford to question - you know bad things that will eat you!!! Just then Kasha let out her force bark and Monica ran like her tail was on fire back to the barn... This morning she allowed me to pet her but we did have a bit of a talking too about listening to the higher girls on the farm... She is also growning in size which makes me very happy - so Monica you would be very proud of her too!

Lori, congrat's on the driving - see you did not even run over one of the little people!! Hat's off..

Rae, are you feeling any better?? I sure have been loading my body up with juice and water - made a world of difference as I try to mend. Hope we all fell right as rain soon..

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  4:21:29 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I had to wipe the drool off my keyboard before I could let you know how much I LOVE the yarns and silk rods!!:) The colors are absolutely gorgeous!!!!!! I just love hearing about Monica's adventure! I can just picture her stomping her foot! So make sure that you get some rest!!! I got the alpaca from Jerry today and I am thrilled with it! Most of it is so very super soft! I am not sure what to do with it, but it will be something very special! One that is different shades of gray is not as soft, but I think it would be just perfect colors for felting animals! I will have to post some pics as soon as I can!

Lori, Glas to hear that your first day went well! I knew you could do it!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  6:19:55 PM  Show Profile
Hello all! yes I am feeling better Got to dentist and we got our new glasses ordered and ..... we bought a new tv It is our anniversary, birthdays, Christmas, etc gift for a few years. We maybe shouldn't have but we don't go out so that is our entertainment. It is a 42 inch.

Well picked rest of beans and gave plants to sheep and they were quite pleased to have them! In fact they ran to me when I said. "you hoo look what I have!!"

I go back to work on Aug 31 for all the right to know meetings, blah blah and then some afternoon ones that don't really pertain to me, blah blah and then officially start on the 7th.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  7:15:39 PM  Show Profile
Lori, congrats on your first day of driving the bus. You have my admiration.

Grace, loved the story of the 4-legged Monica! It really is just like having children, except you can't leave your children in the barn, now, can you?!! Sometimes, though, when they show that little spark of defiance, you are torn between chuckling at them and putting them in the barn for the night!
Oh, and your silk rods are lovely. As is everything you have on Etsy. I may become a customer one of these days, if I ever figure out what I'm doing! Ha!

All of you ladies seem to have way more energy than I do...especially in this heat. Yes, the heat is working its way back up. Supposed to be even hotter tomorrow. Now they have moved the temperature drop to Saturday. We'll see. Since they have moved that, I'm moving my closet clean-out to next week!

Okay sheep ladies, I am a bit discouraged. I checked the sheep's eyelids awhile back and they were pale, so I drenched them with Safeguard as per the instructions of the lady I bought them from. Several weeks later, I took a stool sample to the vet and he said they had SOME parasites. He recommended Cydectin, which is what the lady in K.C. had said she had been having to use this year (she is normally "all natural" but this year it has not been working, I guess due to this heat and wetness), so we drenched them with that a week and a half ago. I told the lady I bought them from about it and she recommended I not use the Cydectin, but save it for a serious problem...if somebody gets into trouble (I assume she means bottle jaw). Well, I checked one of the girls yesterday and her eyelids are as pale as pale can be. I am bummed! My husband thinks I am over-reacting (behaving like a new mother that thinks every sniffle is a reason to run to the doc for antibiotics). I have been learning more and more about natural methods, and am trying to gradually incorporate them into our regimin, but do not have a lot of hope for it doing much this year. Besides the fact that we STILL do NOT have our hay cut and are having to keep the sheep grazing in areas for a little longer than we'd like because we just don't have enough places to put them. He was supposed to be here by the end of July, and we are now into the second half of August. I am so frustrated.
Basically, I feel like I have let my sheep down. And now I don't know what to do. It is so confusing when everybody you try to get advice from tells you to do different things. I don't want to use the Cydectine if I don't have to...it smells awful. But I want to keep my sheep well. I also don't know how soon I should be able to drench them again.
Sarita, maybe you can help. You are having the same kind of weather down there, and you just dealt with bottlejaw. How did you treat it? The lady I bought my sheep from says she uses BoSe when they get bottlejaw, but the lady in K.C. says BoSe will not help bottlejaw! AGH! My vet recommended against BoSe as he says we have a high selenium content in our grass and they could overdose. The lady in K.C. says she gives hers feed grade selenium because they can't overdose on it. It's all making my head swim!

Sorry for ranting...I want to do the right thing, I just don't know what it is!
I have ACV in their water, and tomorrow I will give them some garlic, ginger and molasses. But I'm also leaning toward giving them another dose of Safeguard.
Also, Today I stopped at the MFA and the guy there showed me a new Safeguard product... pellets I believe he said, that is an all-species wormer. He said it is new. Has anyone used this?

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  8:00:26 PM  Show Profile
Boy Brenda you sure are having your hands full with this - I must admit I am not sure which way you should turn. I have not used any of those medications since I started this farm and with your area being high in selenium - mine is low I can see where your vet would be concerned with an overdose of BoSe.. I also never had a case of bottle jaw - treated many but none here. You will have to talk with those who use those forms of medication and I would also maybe contact the manufactures to see what they recommend. I agree Cydectin is reserved for hard cases but I am not sure what your vet means by SOME - SOME What??? What is the load count and the parasite?
I completely understand that you are feeling overwhelmed but with futher information we might be able to assist better... I am so sorry this is all hitting at once.

Glad you like the rods - I really liked them too and hoped they where not weird colors.. Monica as for the gray being a bit coarser that is because the genetic components to make a gray animal also tends to be a bit coarser in any animal. Well, except my two. You knew I was going to say that - right? No honestly, the one (Silverhawk) who came to me a gelding because the lady did not understand males - well his fleece is butter and fetches a great price. Smokey who was our top stud brought in the dollars because he had such a fine micron count for a Rose Gray. He also produced about three times the weight of fleece as any other guy his size. Smokey was Nick's show Alpaca also and best buddy. So Gray Alpaca is by nature a bit coarser then other fiber colors... Have fun with all that fiber - I have a pure black lace weight that came back from the mill from my Prince Casp - a black male that had great softness but not too much crimp - I had the mill turn it into very fine lace weight yarn - Oh, it is wonderful and I hope to post it up for sale very soon on Etsy. Sold some already to a lady who does tatting...

Well, back to work I go - have many more new yarns to post on Etsy. Glad to hear Rae that you have finished the beans, treated the sheep to the leftovers and now you can sit and relax in front of the big screen TV. What is the first thing you will be watching???

Have a great night ladies.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  8:35:42 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I hear you girl! So many people with so many differnet theories and all makes sense when you hear them. I know what works for me. This year is a little different, so wet for our area. The late haying and not being able to get the sheep into virgin lots is also not helping the problem. Short pasture that is overgrazed is a big problem but then add the wet weather and it really gets bad. I watch the cycle of the worm. Worm with the appropriate wormer and then wait 14 days if you still have a problem. I usually just walk my lots every day and look down and look to see if any worms are visible in manure, watch eyelids, watch hinnies, if hinnies are messy. I also feel down the sheep's back, if I feel bones, then I start watching them closely. Some ewes get sucked down but worms can also cause weight loss. I worm just the sheep that are showing signs. Some breeds and some sheep are just more prone to have worms. When the sheep get to the stage with bottle jaw I worm them and give them a shot of penicillin because if the sheep has enough worms to have the bottle jaw, the worms produce a toxin which could kill the sheep. It is also important to keep the sheep well nurished. The worms make the sheep enemic so getting the sheep built up as fast as you can will help them recover faster. I usually feed the sheep that I have treated for worms with some grain and add some sweet feed that has molasses in it, but I have to watch to see that the copper content in the sweet feed is safe for the sheep. I have started feeding hay in the feeders until we can open new pastures after haying hoping they will not short graze the pasture. Hopefully the haying is going to happen Saturday barring no rain. I have not used Safeguard pellets. I have fed the Safeguard block, letting the sheep eat on it for a day and then removing the block. I also put the ACV in the waterers and I clean the feed pans and waters regularly. I would prefer not to use any chemicals but I can't let the sheep get sick and die.
We do live in an area that does not have enough selenium, I have not had any problems since I paid for the good granula mineral for sheep. Mineral Blocks never worked for me and a vet told me to go get the mineral in a sack.

Brenda, remember that sheep will have some worms and that is natural. For sheep, I would rather have the cold winter than the hot heat weather, less worm problems.
Sorry this make not make sense, kinda of tired and sleepy tonight. Full day. Really hoping we can hay in the next few days.

Sarita

Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  03:40:16 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies! Amazing how a good night's rest will give you a new perspective on things. TI feel a little less stressed about it this morning.

Grace and Sarita, thanks for the pep talk. Even though you can't answer my questions specifically, just hearing you talk about it all gave me much encouragement. I think "going with my gut" has kept me afloat so far, s I will continue to take in all the information, try to sift through it, and then do my best to do what seems right. I do look forward to winter and having a chance to get on top of it. The next time I go to the vet, I will ask more questions. I do want to get my grasses tested, too.
Since Icelandics seem to need more copper, I feed some sweet feed to them mixed with a bit of corn and oats. That has extra selenium as well. The sheep have no messy bottoms, theor droppings look perfect, I will look closer, but I have seen no worms (I clean up their bedding area every day). They look and behave absolutely fine, it's just those pale eyelids.
I keep telling myself that if this is the worst of it, then from here on out it will seem easy! I guess I just picked a bad year to start. I certainly didn't get my two year grace period I've heard about! LOL! I don't think I got two months! Oh well, welcome to farm life!
Thanks for your kind words, ladies. Have a good day.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  09:05:08 AM  Show Profile
Morning all. I finally finished my sorting/purge - I was determined to wrap it up yesterday no matter what. Now all that's left is to haul all the stuff down the stairs and out to the dumpster. So much mouse damage....so thankful that most of the yarn was in plastic containers.

Grace, congrats on the magazine and the colors look yummy. I hope you are feeling better. Enjoyed the story of your rebellious Monica. Just like a teenager!

Glad to hear your fist day driving the bus went off without a problem, Lori. It won't be long and it will be routine for you. You have more pluck than I do - I don't think I would ever consider driving a school bus!!

How fantastic that you are going to start your own web site, Monica!! I can't wait to see it. I hope your sales will pick up. Are you going to continue with ETSY as well? How is the progress on the house? How is Gary feeling?

Hope you get your medication dilemma hammered out, Brenda. It's so frustrating when you get so much conflicting info.

Happy Anniversary, Rae. Wow a 42" TV. Now that's a nice mutual gift. Do you watch a lot of movies? Glad to hear you are feeling better.

How are you feeling, Angie? I hope things are settling down for you. I have been thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.

Guess I should get to work. Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  09:51:49 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, it always blows my mind (not much left) how much damage those tiny mice can do.... I know that feeling. Oh well, at least it is done now and you can move on. I too wish to go thru so stuff in my basement - most are safe but I am always cleaning and checking just to make sure - especially before fall sets in.

I treated myself to a RootBeer Float last night after I had no more energy to do one more thing - forgot how great they taste - it has been years. Posted a bunch on Etsy - Monica sorry but the Green Valley Mohair Boucle Yarn SOLD immediately... I had thought of you while making it.. Have a bunch more to post but we will see how much I get done. Monica I have been looking at also putting back my webstore - need to get all the computer issues fixed before adding more work. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Goat boys are feeling the hormone change - tons of snorting, pushing and head banging. Then there is the matter of their over attention to me... I love them but when I am not feeling 100% I really have to watch them. Not that they would hurt me but one of those horns moving too fast and me moving so slow - not a good combo.

Nick, Brooke and Baby Reece are back here again on Sunday for more work on the driveway - problem is we have had so much rain that everything is a soupy mess. Temp is to be 95 Sunday - Yuck but we need to dry a bit to dig. I have a Burbon Pork Roast planned with cobbler and Ice Cream so at least the meal is planned. Now to get this mess of a house picked up - yarn, fiber and rods everywhere. I had picked and dyed two alpaca fleeces so once they are dry the racks will be put away which makes a big difference.

I do agree with Sarita - I would build my sheep up some before overdosing with more wormers - you can also over do it and then they sheep are weaker. Since we have had such rain I will watch closely my goats to make sure something is not growing in the pastures or in them - everyone got a healthy handfull of mint last night and they will get raspberry leaves tonight. I will also be stepping up their kelp. My girls are coming into season early so that will give me some thought tonight as to what to give their bodies... This is really early for them..

So have a great day ladies and a calm weather I hope.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  10:26:19 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I looked at the yarn and it's gorgeous! It's probably a good thing that it was grabbed before I saw it! I am probably going to go through Go Daddy for my website and it's going to cost about $80.00 for a year so I really have to behave right now! I am trying so hard to push to get organized and get the site up and running and of course every time I turn around there is something else to deal with!! I have been getting up earlier to get organized in the morning and this morning I ended up on the phone for 1 1/2 hours with the phone company talking to 3 different people to get my internet back down to a reasonable price! My plan had expired and it went up to $45.00 a month! Ouch! If anything else changes I am going to cry! At least there is one good change! The Nascar races are finally back on t.v. so I am going to watch the race tomorrow on a full size screen as opposed to a 4x6 screen on my computer!

I hope everyone has a great day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  5:15:53 PM  Show Profile
Grace the Twins baseball game was what I sat down to watch I like them a lot as well as Vikings.

Rained like major big huge giant enormous rain today!!! It woke me at 3:15 when power got knocked out for a minute and then I was awake for the day Had grandkids here today and it did quit for a while but just rained again. Supposed to clear out and be nice for a few days which would be nice as going to county fair tomorrow.
When I got up this morning was watching tv and kept thinking I was somewhere else with that tv!!!

Angie with my girls I was so sick and lived on cocoa puffs and this combination hubby made for me, blended jello and ice cream. That was my diet for first 5 months! Boys not sick a day.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  5:28:46 PM  Show Profile
Monica did you see the one called Webs.com - it is free and now they have an app that will connect your Etsy shop with it too. I was reading about it today then the computer went weird..

Is anyone else having trouble with Facebook?? I can not seem to leave comments - maybe the universe is telling me to shut up but Brooke who is a high tech fast lines and such could only get it to take one letter of each comment. Technology got to love it.

Rae, sounds like your new TV is going to be great for you. All you gals who love sports - amaze me. Since my husbands passing 14 years ago I have not had to watch one sport thing on TV - see I could never get married again because they watch sports...

Ladies I have gone and done it. Today I ordered 30 Americana female chicks - I even surprised myself. I have just been so down in the dumps about the loss of my sweet one's lately - I felt just like my last white hen - wondering around looking for my best mates - So I went and done it. I even shocked my sons. However, they are excited for them to arrive the week of Sept 1st. It is silly to be so excited about little fluff but I admit it - I LOVE CHICKENS!!! It has been years since I had chicks so during dinner I read all my books again and will start construction on the new digs within the coop. I am doing the Happy Chicken Dance..

What is everyone's plans for the weekend??

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  8:51:55 PM  Show Profile
Grace, Webs is free, but only if you want to list 5 items in your online shop! If you want to list more than 30 it's $20.00 a month! I think I am going to go with Go Daddy and then it's $8.00 a month for 10 pages and as many items as I want to list!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Aug 21 2010 08:45:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  03:56:19 AM  Show Profile
Monica, I wanted to tell you I love your colors of fiber on your blog. Just wonderful.
Grace, It looks like the hay is going down today. Checked about 5 forecasts, and a chance of rain Monday night. So hopeing it will be dry and ready to bale Monday, after work. Will have to leave a bit early! :)
Sunday will be getting together with a few to make cards. We do this every couple of months. It is great to get ideas, and we borrow stamps. Today I think our grandson is coming over. I hope it is later in the day!
I got my Jill's wool ready for the drum carder. Now to get Jacks done. I also got to get spinning, I am out of yarn that I am knitting a sweater with.
Time to get the washing machine going to!
Michele
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page