junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2005 :  2:19:30 PM  Show Profile
Me again, I wanted to ask you what kind of camera you have, the pics are SO clear, it's like I'm looking at the real thing, very good!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  11:25:40 AM  Show Profile
hi bramble .. so many wonderful olde cabins in tennessee .. i think it must be one of the major places that cabins are moved from to other states. tennesse was indeed on our list of places to live someday .. we even travelled there to look around .. but i wanted to get as close to our darling daughter in toledo .. as i could .. and then when CCF came on the market .. i knew god was blowing kisses our way!

i would dearly love to have some more olde cabins moved to the property .. it's on the 'someday' list! and oh my yesssssssss!!!! it is interesting how some people who were brought up in olde log cabins cannot understand how anyone would want to actually live in them.

Have a story to tell (ha! don't i always!) When i lived in Washington, D.C. and was married to my first husband, Jimmie (who is a sweetheart and is my second husband's best friend .. "I" introduced them! They are each the brother the other never had! But then .. that's a story for yet another day!) Well, anyhoo .. Jimmie and i had very modern furniture ... at the time, i thought 'antiques' were what 'olde people' liked! Well, 14 years later, when my second husband, Hank and i moved to Colorado .. (and technically, Jimmie was still my husband at the time ...... yessssss!!!!! more stories!) well, i felt like we were living in God's backyard .. and i fell passionately in love with nature and history and all things primitive!

Over the next few years, i spent every extra penny i could find on 1800's olde painted furniture .. i found the 'chips' and scrapes to be a charming part of history.

Well, we moved back 'home' after about 10 years .. and when my "Nannie" (the preicous aunt who raised my brother, sister and me) came to visit and saw all my 'olde' furniture .. she just quietly bowed her head and i heard her utter, ('tsk, tsk, a waste of perfectly good firewood') thought i'd pee my pants laughing .. asked her: "Nannie, dont you just love my olde primitive furniture?" She sweetly replied: "lordy, no honey .. it reminds me of when we were poor").

Isn't it wonderful how we are all different and yet the same. I love, love, love PRIMITIVE and my sweet sister adores PRISSY. Raised in the same household, only a year apart in age. Yet, opposite loves in furniture.

Yes, the furniture in the photo shoot is from when the Stearns live here .. but as they told me, often in these features .. they take some of your funiture out of the house and bring in 'photo shoot' furniture. Some was theres and some was leant by antiques dealer friends.

Our furniture is much like theres .. only .. i don't have so much of the 'shabby chic' white. I like it a lot .. but prefer olde painted colors like barn reds, country blue, greens and mustards. Will take some pics of how it looks now and post them soon.

Does your heart lean toward the more primitive .. or in another direction?

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  11:38:38 AM  Show Profile
Good morning miz suzie .. i have such an olde antiquated, HUGE camera .. but it does take good pictures .. so .. i think i'll hang onto it until it falls apart or i drop it and bust it into a zillion pieces! It's a: SONY Mavica 1.6

IF i could figure out how to do neat 'photo-shop' thingies with the pictures .. they would be even better.

p.s. i doubt this camera is even on the market anymore .. i've had it for about 6 or 7 years now .. might can find one on e-bay.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Kay in Kentucky
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Kay
Dunnville Kentucky
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  2:31:52 PM  Show Profile
You are a wonderful story teller ,,,, I just had to read everything about how you found your farm. All I can say is wooooow real softly what an experience you have had, how wonderful.

I feel strongly about my farm also, when I walk through the rooms it is as though I have been there or someplace like it before. When I visited the Amish family living there I arrived before the husband did and I had been visiting with his wife and we had just stepped outside and up the the lane came her husband driving a horse and buggy. I was transfixed at the sight. It seemed so right so familiar. I must be getting 'funny' in my old age; oh well.

If you feel like telling us more go right on and tell it; you have my attention.

Kay

My blog;
http://oakspringfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  4:53:12 PM  Show Profile
oh kay .. thanks for the sweet words .. are you here in Kentucky forever now? i thought i read that you were still working in Virginia? we reeeeeeeeely must get together .. let's all have a Kentucky gathering .. everyone is invited!

I love that you have Amish neighbors .. and look forward to your adventures with them.

i call that moment you were standing with the amish wife and her husband came in the horse and buggy as one of those 'ah-ha' moments in life!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Kay in Kentucky
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Kay
Dunnville Kentucky
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  04:44:08 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, (lovely name)
I am moving right after New Years as December 31st is my retirement day. I have talked to several RE Agents and will have the Virginia house up for sale Jan 3rd. I seem to be walking around dazed by all that is happening in my life now; selling the house here, buying a farm in KY and retiring after almost forty years of government service. A lot of changes in a short space of time. I am also selling and giving away a lot 'stuff', one does collect 'stuff' as time goes on. Seeing as I will not have electricity at the farm so I don't need a lot of electrical stuff. I will be using the local library to use the internet, and I will have a telephone to stay in touch with family and friends. Otherwise I will be living like my Amish neighbors. This should be an adventure.
Kay

My blog;
http://oakspringfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  04:49:56 AM  Show Profile
A Kentucky gathering, I'm there!! Kay, love your blog, I'll be a repeat visitor! Frannie, you must join us in the blogging world, would LOVE to hear more stories and see more pics about your place, and blogs are the way to go girl!!

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  06:19:19 AM  Show Profile
Sue .. you'll have to come here and teach me how to 'blog' .. i swear .. i am still 'beating messages into rocks'! someday, i'll understand all this cyber stuff. jus' to let you know .. i have a wonderful list of 'on-line' gurlfrenz that i send my 'kentucky ramblings' to .. they get all the stories and pictures via e-mail. if you'd like to be on the list .. jus' e-mail me and i'll be happy to add you! several of the girls on the connection have already joined. xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  12:26:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh my yes, add me to the list!! And if I can start a blog, so can you, super easy! Esp. since you know how to post pics here and I don't so your one up on me! :)

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  4:16:42 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, I too would love to be on that list. I just love your writtings. Your gathering yourself a little fan club here. I'll email ya.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  5:20:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the complete story! Just PLEASE don't ever leave us hanging again! I nearly died! Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea... I looked through your posted pics again (and again) and keep getting goosebumps. For a City Cat, I sure wanna be a Country Mouse! -Cat
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  5:53:09 PM  Show Profile
Cat ... there are several of you city/country cousins up there in Canada that are a part of maryjane's 'connection'. we visited canada a few years ago on 'holiday' .. and it truly is magnificent country! would be great fun if all of you canadian kids come come down and we'd do cross-country trips visiting all the farmgirls! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2005 :  2:47:56 PM  Show Profile
Where did you visit? I live near Toronto, Ontario. It's not all that pretty: one of the reasons why I moved to Guelph!

I would like to travel some more, but my US travelling experiences have been mixed. I've had bad experiences trying to get over the border, been denied service in some places, and this spring my Mom and her sisters were detained for hours at the New York City airport before being able to fly home to Toronto. I hardly think a group of elderly asian women are a threat to national security! I'm not saying all my American travel experiences have been bad, but there has been enough of them that it has stopped me from travelling there, sad to say. Having said all that, I would be willing to try again and come a visiting.
-Cat
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  7:54:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh Frannie-
The more I read about Cabin Creek Farm and your handwork the more I am convinced we would make wonderful neighbors!!! If you ever get a hankering to come to Mary Jane's Farm you must come and stay with us (right now space is tight so we only have the futon but we are looking for our own homestead outside Palouse or Moscow this spring)- we would have a ball. I will pop your pincushion in the mail tomorrow.
HUGS, Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  8:15:58 PM  Show Profile
hi rebekka .. what a sweet offer .. and i guarantee when i next visit idago .. we will have tea and cookies together! we have several friends living in moscow that we usually crash with when we amble that way .. and i DO want to spend a night or twelve in maryjane's tents. looking forward to that cutie pie pincushion ... i am still gathering treasures i've promised to mail .. but they WILL get there before christmas! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2005 :  8:19:12 PM  Show Profile
catherine .. when we visited canada we actually took our little dog (Boo) with us. We were quite surprized that we had no trouble whatsoever going into Canada or returning back into USA with him. (we had his shot records in case we were asked .. but we were not asked). i was enchanted with 'olde quebec' .. it looked like a kingdom right out of a fairy tale book! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  2:58:18 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, I found my issue of Country Living with the Cabin Creek article. It looks like something out of my hill country, mountain dreams. Love those little cabins. Kennie Lyn

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  3:42:12 PM  Show Profile
hey gurlz .. i 'scritched' up a little paragraph or twelve and sent it along with lotsa' PICTURES to the Kentucky Ramblings' gurlfrenz ... too many pics to post .. but if ya' wanna' see 'em .. jus' e-mail me your e-mail address and ask to be on my 'list'. xo here's the WORDS:

ya-ya's .. it is a very most splendiferous kind of a weather day here in central kentucky today!

i roamed outside with my camera and took a coupla' pictures of the front porch of the 'upper cabin' .. it's kinda' in a 'transition' stage between winter and spring .. come tomorrow morning .. i'm going to decorate 'the ides of march'!! (hmmmm .. someone e-mail me and tell me what 'ides' is?)

still have my winter wreath on the door .. i did manage to get the
'christmas' off of it though!
love my 'baccy' rack .. and that big 'ole BLACK BIRD' is our cabin 'totem' .. it's been perched on that rocking chair since the first day i moved in!

had those two rocking chairs 'specially made for us by a marland artist.
love my olde green woodbox that i found on a shopping trip with my gal-pal, kathy (sugarbucket) ... ohhhhhhhhh-wheeeeeeee .. .and come saturday morning .. she and i are heading out on an antiquing 'foray' again!
o.k. o.k. i use some high-falootin' words from time to time that i don't know what the hell they really mean .. but they sound good!

still have my antique snow sleds on the porch .. they are coming off tomorrow morning!

this is one of my very most favorite antiques ever ever ever!
a 'hand-did' birdcage .. i love the tin-can .. it's either a bird-feeder
or a bird-toilet! (considering the placement of the tin-can .. i'm guessin' it's BOTH!)

here's that little shabby green cupboard that i got in BEREA
it has new shelves .. got some green paint yesterday ... going to try
to give them a 'wash' to make 'em look older!
it was only $22. and you cain't beat that price with a stick!
gonna' keep this one .. not sure yet where i'm going to put it .. but
i'm liking it on the front porch for summertime!

o.k. ... i've walked back indoors ... isn't this a mos' wunnerful
clothes dryer! it has ALL it's 'sticks' and is magnificent when the are all 'out' and holding baskets! (had to mortage the farm for this one!)

olde green-paint clothes dryer ... haven't decided what to hang on it .. i think i'm gonna' go 'primitive' .. although .. this room is a real mixture of primitive and prissy .. i have soooooooo many wonderful prissies .. most of them will continue to be put up for adoption from time to time .. and i hope this room will someday be all prim!
just so many memories attached to those prissies though!

see my dear little 'peg wooden' dollies!
the little picture of two little girls on the right reminds me of my own two dear daughters when they were children.
SEEEE!! how hard it is to get rid of the prissies!!!

got this yummy cupboard from sugarbucket!!!
she has THE BEST STUFF!!!!
just moved it into this room to make room for the other little 'box' cupboard i got in berea ...
oh .. and see my incredibly wonderful olde green paint spinning wheel!!!
the picture was painted by my dear aunt pat many years ago .. right after we adopted daughter, kristen (she was two years old) .. this is her knocking at our door!

BOX CUPBOARD
this isn't a phenomenal cupboard .. but it's the kind i tend to love ..
one of a kind .. thrown together by someone many years ago to serve a purpose
in their own home. (only cost $35. at Berea)
ya'll gotta' come to Berea with me next time!
the sweet little rocking chair i got in southern kentucky.

will end with these TRUE FRIENDS
made by doll artist, Sharon Andrews.

heading for town right now to put some more treasures in the shoppe and to take some photos of Glovers' Station to share with you .. and most of all .. to stop by and visit with some of the gurlfrenz!

xoxoxoxo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Aug 18 2008 10:46:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  4:11:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Frannie,

I just read through this whole thread again. I love the story of how you found Cabin Creek Farm. Just watched "Elizabethtown" this weekend. Are Kentuckians really that nice? It looked so green and lush. I know it was a movie, but I've never been through Kentucky yet and my son-in-law tells me I would love it.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  4:24:35 PM  Show Profile
oh debbie .. EVERYONE WAVES at you in these little towns when you are driving down the road .. and EVERYONE 'howdy's' you when they see you in a shoppe, restaurant or on the street! this truly is a 'kinder, gentler' nation here in Kentucky. you would love it .. oh do come for a visit someday! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  6:29:38 PM  Show Profile
LOVE ALL OF THIS!!!!

Ya' know I can't be left out....I wanna be on the list!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  3:28:20 PM  Show Profile
Woo awesome magical home Frannie. Loved the story behind it too. :)
Go to Top of Page

Novajean
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Novajean
Belding Michigan
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  5:36:55 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by CabinCreek-Kentucky

wanted to share some photos of our home .. Cabin Creek Farm .. and the 'story of it'

This was my very first glimpse of Cabin Creek Farm -- September 1993 issue of Country Living. We were living in Annapolis, Maryland (capitol of Maryland and home of the U.S. Naval Academy) at the time. I was enchanted with the barn ..

====================

and then i turned to the article and fell passionately in love! i told hank "i want to live here someday" .. i don't think i even paid attention to the fact that it was in Kentucky .. but for years .. it had been my dream to live in an historic log cabin on a farm.

=======================================================

the original to the property log cabin has TWO rooms .. downstairs and upstairs .. with a little 'lean-to' (that is open to the downstairs .. which was the kitchen and bathroom when the prior owners lived here. the logs inside were unpainted and the cabin stood alone. five years later, they whitewashed this room .. painted the wide wood floors 'yellow' and added an addition which brought the two cabins together.

======================================================

two artists, Art and Hannah Stearns .. who are pretty much the 'original' hand-lettered signmakers in 'country' are the couple that brought this olde cabin 'to life' again. the stearns' signs and wooden bowls and other 'hand-dids' were sold all over the United States. They had Cabin Creek Farm featured in many magazines and books .. including Mary Emmerling's books (heart of country QUEEN!)

=========================

i love the sassafrass tree twin beds that Art Stearns built out of trees that he cut in the woods surrounding Cabin Creek Farm. These beds came with the house .. he had to build them upstairs .. and with the little windy staircase .. there would have been no way to get them out of here without totally dismanteling them. We even still have the little 'cat bed' made of sassafrass ... a 'teddy bear' now sleeps in it!

=====================================================

the little log cabin (that looks more like a tobacco shed) (circa 1876) was moved from 20 miles away in a neighboring Kentucky county. When this photo shoot was done, it had just been assembled .. you can see 'sky' through the slats .. the chinking had not yet been put in it. This cabin is actually about the same size as the original cabin. one room upstairs and one room downstairs. No windows are seen .. because this is actually the 'back of the cabin' .. the front looks off into the forest.

The BEAUTIFUL lush gardens are no longer here. Renters lived at Cabin Creek Farm for one year .. the husband did not like flowers and had a huge "KABOTA"??? (not sure i spelled that right) .. and wiped them all out! I am slowly but surely replacing them!

=============================================

The left side of the picture is the view from the enclosed 'back porch' .. the right side is the barn at the top and the wonderful olde gardens (fence was reclaimed by mother nature!) at the bottom.

==================

hope all these pictures come through ... will post some of Cabin Creek Farm ... 5 years later than these .. when it was again featured in Country Living Magazines .. when the two cabins were joined together with an addition that houses a large kitchen, small laundry room, our bedroom and bathroom and a long hallway. Shows the wonderful dream kitchen of mine .. and the newly 'white-washed' walls of the 1863 log cabin.

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

Novajean
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Novajean
Belding Michigan
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  5:39:21 PM  Show Profile
Cabin Creek Farm is posted on my studio wall as a goal and motivator!! Good for you for grabbing it up!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  8:51:36 PM  Show Profile
love that we are a little part of your life! come visit someday .. LOVE your name .. sounds like a cute little 'rag dolly' that i make!!! frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Cabin Creek Farm - Kentucky Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page