Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  09:20:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We usually eat leftover dinner things for lunch or make sandwiches. Also when I make burritos I freeze them in twos. I make enough for dinner to use up a BIG package of tortillas and those are always nice. Sometimes I just have cheese and crackers for lunch or soup.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  2:27:14 PM  Show Profile
Awesome Alee!
I loved doing the 2008 Grocery Challenge (even when I would fall off the wagon for a awhile..)
So new year, new challenges in our house. We are focused on eating healthier, which in our house means less homebaking, and more nuts/fruits etc for snacks, and three meals a day. My goal this spring is to gain weight healthily by including lots of good fats and more whole grains. I need to gain about five to ten lbs before we try for kidlets. I also want to buy less at the supermarket and more at the farmer's market and local suppliers.

Monthly Budget: 175$ for two adults.

Spent so far in January:
Supermarket: (veg and lemons, bread, milk, crackers,shampoo/conditioner, etc.) 50$
Bulk Store: (almonds,walnuts,peanuts,raisins, bran, split peas, chickpeas, etc.) 30$

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  4:46:46 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, we usually eat last nights left overs made into a sandwich or soup. Even us old folks eat a lot of PBJ sandwiches. Today, we had a grilled cheese and pork and beans. Thats cause last night's left overs was tonights dinner.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  5:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I will have to look at my receipt but I spent about another $13 today. I bought cream cheese (2 boxes) 3 lbs of oranges, 3 pounds of bananas, baking powder and ground cinnamon...oh yes..and my guilty pleasure- a package of Rolos.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  6:19:50 PM  Show Profile
Man I really admire those of you that shoot for less than $200 a month for groceries. If I could do that we could really hit our debt hard. If you're successful, please post your menus and shopping lists so we can get some ideas from you. I tried pricing out the Hillbilly Housewives' $70 a week menu - and with current local prices, it would run about $150. Are we just high in western WA?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  6:42:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Western Washington is very expensive, but have you tried pricing it out using Costco pricing for bulk buying of things like rice and beans?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

ILoveBaskets14
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Stefanie
Cross Lanes WV
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  8:07:34 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ILoveBaskets14's MSN Messenger address
What are so recipes that you can make double of and freezes well. And what kind of containers do you put it in. I would love to have something homemade but quick.What are the items you buy fresh and then freeze? Thanks for any ideas :)
stefanie

Baskets of Blessings.
Go to Top of Page

msjocee
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Josie
Canyon Country CA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  8:39:52 PM  Show Profile
Okay I am in. As we have some big debt to get outta of as well. As of now I shop twice a month very rarley need to go bake into the store before the next trip. For us a family of 4 I spend between 190 to 220 every 2 weeks. I go with a list and plan a meal for every single night. Lunches as well. I think I do pretty well. Like when I went last week they had the family pack of NY steak reg. 35.00 dollars for 13.00!!! That was Awesome. And I admit I have to go into the store tom. cause they have whole chickens 50% off so I will stock up. I only have one fridge with the freezer on top. So I can not "stock pile" that much into my freezer. Hubby refuse's to buy me an extra small freezer.

Mom to wild boys: Miah(10), and Jakie(6)

"Everything is Possible for They who believe."
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  10:14:54 PM  Show Profile
My 2009 Challenge is not so much what I spend as where I spend it.

Just finished Animal, Vegetable Miracle (great read) and I'm committing myself to the 100-Mile Food Challenge, as best I can. Our county has such a rich ag community with lots of variety, but I know I'll have troubles - like grains, flour, rice, milk. I can still buy CA Grown, but those growers are all up North and the Farmer's Markets don't have them.

But, I'll try my best.

Jenn
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  10:25:07 PM  Show Profile
Alee - actually when I've tried pricing the HH menus, I only price the things I don't already have and I do buy my rice, beans, etc. at Costco, so I imagine they would probably price out pretty low. Re: HH prices, hamburger is a good example. She lists 5 lbs. for $6.90 and 3 dozen eggs for $2.70. The lowest price I"ve seen on hamburger around here in a long time is $2.99 a lb. and that is for the medium range fat content, and eggs are NEVER .90 a dozen. I buy mine from a lady that has her own, for $2.00 a dozen and that is almost always cheaper than the store. Of course, we don't have a lot of options in my town. We have only one grocery store, but if I go to Olympia, 1/2 hour away, there are a lot of choices. I wish we would get a Winco though - when we lived near a Winco we always got great prices there! Pretty soon, I"ll be shopping Billings prices though - not soon enough!!!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  04:45:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Hamburger around here is $2.99, but I get close to the eggs at Costco. I am still looking for local eggs.

I really miss Winco Prices. They were fabulous!

Well I had to go to the store again at 3:30am. Nora woke me up by crying so I went to go put her in bed and she was absolutely covered in sick up. We had to give Nora a bath and wash her bedding and wall. So I had to go to Walmart to get Gatorade, Jello and Diapers. We don't normally buy disposables but with her being sick I would rather use them than have to deal with germy diapers. So I spent another $18. I'll update my main post with my two shopping excursions today.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  06:52:07 AM  Show Profile
Jenn,
I have heard that book. It is so hard to do though. Even in our Whole Foods it is hard to find an abundance of local foods. I wish you luck!

Blessings!
~Farrah

http://oldfashionedhomekeeper.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  07:06:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Stephanie-
Here is a link to a lot of recipes that freeze well:
http://www.recipelinks.com/rcpmenus.html

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  07:21:08 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
Wow! you girls make my brain hurt! I admire how totally organized you gals are with the lists and such. You have totally inspired me to get real with my groceries. I buy for six people and have to watch how much I spend. I try to bake all of the snacks and make my own bread. With the new year I have also promised myself to do away with the whole soda issue. My two boys and myself are addicted to it. I have made tea and am slowly weaning myself off of the terrible stuff. The boys are a different issue entirely but I guess if I don't buy it it won't come out of my budget. The organic foods in this area are extremely high and that takes up alot of my money. I pay $3.00 for a dozen eggs at the farmers market and now that it is winter that will probably go up. The lady told me this summer that it was because of high gas prices but gas has went down and the price of her eggs have remained a constant.I have three groceries to pick from and a Wal-Mart. Does Wal-Mart sell organics and are they a good quality food item? I quit shopping there for groceries when all the meat I could get was in those gas injected packages. Maybe I should start shopping there for my organics....gosh, I just don't know.Does anyone else buy organics from there?

Let's dance in the rain and play in the puddles under the rainbows.

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  08:53:57 AM  Show Profile
Stefani - I make a lot of casseroles and freeze half. The only ones I haven't had good luck with are those with eggs. This works well for us because, one, we are just three people and don't need to eat a full recipe, and then my DH works out of town sometimes and he can just take food with him and heat it up in the hotel rather than pay to eat out.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  10:21:56 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
I'm in Alee! This should keep me on my toes!!! My husbands hours just got cut and my summer cleaning job doesn't start until April...that job usually pays for groceries almost all year but this year I seem to be losing ground. My budget for 6 of us is roughly $175 - $200 and I try to only spend that every 2 weeks...so roughly $400/month I do still have some pork and hamburg in the freezer yet so the only meat I've been buying is chicken. We have alot of dollar stores around here so I try to buy alot there, I never seem to have enough money all at once to go to Costco or Sams though I'd love to! I've made up a list of items for the year - talk about lists!! LOL...that way if something goes on sale, I can look at my list, see how much we need for the year - buy it and store it! Sometimes it works and sometimes the funds just aren't there to do that! Can't wait until April...
Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  11:20:39 AM  Show Profile
I sooo need to do this. I find myself suckered into getting stuff that I don't need. I try to eat before I go but food is my downfall. I can't take DH with me or we would have every item with a cool label on it. I am trying to make more from scratch and stretch the left overs. I am sick of throwing food out on garbage day because no one wanted the left overs. I want to freeze more and make casseroles. I like the idea of cooking for a month. We are fast food junkies. I try to cut down but I keep falling back in that rut. I try not to carry much cash on me so that I can't go through the drive thu. There are 3 of us and to be honest I couldn't tell you how much we spend on groceries a month. I need to sit down and tally it up. thanks for the motivation.
Toodles
Becky

I am one with my inner farm girl!
Go to Top of Page

ILoveBaskets14
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Stefanie
Cross Lanes WV
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  7:19:11 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ILoveBaskets14's MSN Messenger address
Thanks for the freezer ideas ! I am hoping to spend $100 a week for 6 well my hubby is out of the country and i have a infant and he is still on baby food and breastmilk so really 4, but I am still spending the same about and feeding one less so i really need to freeze more or eat more leftovers! I went over my $100 on sunday by $50 so I hope I can do better :)
Stefanie

Baskets of Blessings.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  7:27:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You'll do it Stefanie! Eating leftovers really extends the meals out- and re-thinking leftovers too. Have left over taco meat and beans from Taco night? Make burritos to freeze for lunches. Have taco salad instead of more tacos. Things like that can help you revisit leftovers without it feeling like eating the same meal over again.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  08:20:46 AM  Show Profile
http://www.amazon.com/Freezer-Cooking-Manual-Day-Gourmet/dp/0966446747/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231258539&sr=8-1

This is the feezing cookbook/meal planning book I use. Wonderful recipes--my dh has liked everyone I've made--and the planning worksheets that can be photocopied are worth the book alone. I really like that the recipes are multiplied out for you to make in quantity--no math!

I found bnls sknls chicken $1.99/lb at albertsons last week and bought 10lbs. now we have 6 small chicken/rice/broccolli casseroles (broccoli on sale at fred meyer for .69/lb!), 4 chicken pie fillings, and 5 broccoli cheese soups.
I don't do a whole months cooking at a time. just a few entrees to have on hand.

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com
Go to Top of Page

msjocee
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Josie
Canyon Country CA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  1:14:46 PM  Show Profile
I have found at my Super Walmart during the week they have bread (french loves , yeast rolls ect) from the bakery at 50% to 75% off as they expre that day I buy em and freeze them they are fine I spend anywhere from .60 to 1.50 on them! but my Walmart's produce is yucky and so is there meat. I found there frozen and packaged to be cheaper..but I use my coupons and save more at my market since they double. Last time I went I save $110.00 on my bill so it was oringally $300 and something that I got for $218.!!!

Mom to wild boys: Miah(10), and Jakie(6)

"Everything is Possible for They who believe."
Go to Top of Page

white cupboard
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

maryanne
gahanna oh
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  1:34:51 PM  Show Profile
i want to join you great ladies in this quest.....i cook at home we really never go out,i just need to do better at shopping and cupons and ect, co excuses...

the sweet smell of fresh cut grass,to nap under a tree on a cool fall afternoon,to hear my grandchildren wisper"i love you" in my ear,to taste the sweetest chocolate bar....life is grand and i am thankful....
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  3:17:54 PM  Show Profile
I have been horrible at meal planning/budgeting. But after this holiday and some debt, it's a necessity. That means I'll be doing more cooking. I set a budget to see if I could stick to it of 120$ each week for four. I spent over 1000$ last year on meals at school for my two boys! So, I have put them on a budget too. They can take hot lunch 2-3x a week this winter. Easy for my elementary kid, not many choices...harder for my 10th grader who has all kinds of (expensive) entres to choose from and hates to schlep the lunch bag. I went over this week by 10$ by taking my boys with me. THAT won't happen again! My menu for the week was a corned beef/cabbage meal Su, M was hash/eggs/toast, today was bean & ham soup in the crockpot w/cornbread, tomorrow is spaghetti, Th will be pork steaks/fried apples and then it's the weekend again. I think I'll try a homemade pizza. I have a roaster for the weekend which will start us out for a Monday of chicken and dumplings. The snacks I bought have to last cause once they are gone, they're gone. If the boys don't like dinner (they chose not to participate in the planning this week) it's pb&j!! The bean/ham soup didn't go over well with them tonight and both opted for sandwiches. However, we did end up having another teen boy for dinner and he's on his second bowl! So even though my boys were a bit picky....I think the soup was tasty! I won't use the mix for my cornbread though. I make a better one from scratch. The other thing I need to do better is plan for no waste (except when I want it, like for the chick-n-dumplings) I've also told the fam we'll be vegetarian at least once a week too!

I actually made up a list of "favorite" family meals...then I listed our staples, condiments, baking needs, and house. The dog gets his own budget. I'm trying to watch the adds and rotate new canned goods into the pantry for what I have stockpiled down there. My problem is the high price of organics. There are some things that I really want us to have that is organic, like milk, tomatoes, and such. But wow! A gallon of organic milk (even at my WalMart) is over 6$ a gallon. Butter is about 5$ a pound. Eggs are 3$. Tomatoes are 4$ a pint (which my little one can go through as a snack!) Reg organic carrots were 1$ a bag vs the org baby carrots that were twice that. So I'm cutting up my own now. I switched over to a non-organic milk that promised to be gbh free....but I've used organic cream and made my own butter (surprisingly easy) I also switched over to a brown range fed egg but not organic....

I have to try to plan for all their tastes...plus I'm trying to cut back on the carbs for my newly diagnosed diabetes. (but I have already lost 5 pounds!) I think soon we'll be adding another family member to our house too, that has special dietary needs (diabetes/MS)

My Seeds of Change catalog came and I'm dreaming of expanding my garden!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  4:34:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow StarMeadow! It sounds like you are off to a great start!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  05:11:34 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee! I'm already starting to plan for next week. Interestingly enough, the boys were talking in the car this morning on our way to school, about some "other" choices of meals we might try.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grocery Challenge 2009 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page