Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  07:51:43 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning

I only have brown and a dark brown almost black fleece. The only alpaca that dyes well is the white. That will probably be our next purchase. Right now I am doing this for me. I did put a down payment on a spinning wheel. But it will be a while before I pay it off. So for now it is spindle spinning.

Julie I'm glad the painful part is over. Owww! I had a massage once that nearly put me in tears. It did help the knot in my neck, but owww! ther should be a gentler way.

Peggy I have the alpaca carded I need to spin it, so it may be a while. But I will send you some to play with.

Cherime the od homestead looks cool or would that be warm. LOL I love woodstove heat in the winter. It always feels warm to me. The central heat in this house never feels warm to me.

Miranda neat idea on the sprouting. Here in ID we sprout early. We ususally only get one chaance at planting. Hope all goes well with your experiment and Train.

Peggy and Bunny Those are beautiful flower pins. Bunny you are very talented and multi talented. Gorgeouse quilts and cute flower pins, wonderful bags. Is there anything you can't do? Do I sound jeleouse? Don't mean to just in awe!!

Julie before I forget. I did get your tea. I will have to wait on the seeds till next year. Way to late to plant them here. Since i have no garden this year. LOL

Lynette sorry you have to sell the sheep. Glad you get to keep the cows. This weather is terrible. We are buying hay for our horses. We thought that we would just need it for the winter. But it has been so hot that there is very little pasture left for them to graze on. That means more hay. I lve sun shine but this heat has been a killer!!.

Shandra There is a lot of different fiber to choose from. The nice thing about the carder is I can blend and mix fibers and colors. I have a good friend that has been helping me. I have not been spinning that long. I am still new to. Have fun with it. That is the main thing.

Welcome S.F. or Little Sparrow to the porch. Pull up a rocker and tel us about yourself. We are fun, loving and great group.

Megan congrats on the new license. Freedom was my first thought. Them reallity set in. LOL Enjoy!

I hear all this cleaning going on and look around and think "I need to do that" Then it is 100+ degrees and I think Ahhh I'm Melting! I believe the cleaning will hav eto wait till it is a little cooler and maybe a little less crowded.

I best get going. I need to get some more beans canned. and see how the corn is coming along. I need to freeze a lot of corn. I say all that and then laugh. The farmers markets and local produce stands are my garden this year. LOL But I still want to put things up for winter. Such a big help to have food in the freezer and pantry.
Hope all of you have a good day and don;t melt from all this heat. They are saying 102 today and tomarrow.
Hey Peggy and Bunny how about sending some cooler weather this way?

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  09:41:04 AM  Show Profile
Morning, ladies! Whew, what a day... as I start this post off, it is 10:53 AM Central time... I'm at work and we just had a meeting with the prosecutors for the robbery last year. We'll be going to court on Sept. 11th to testify in the punishment phase. For those who don't know, the credit union where I work was robbed in an extremely violent manner at gun point. I was held at gun point twice, one coworker was hit over the head with a gun, and another was beaten half to death. The guys pled guilty and so we're going before the judge to try and get the max 40 years in prison.

I originally did not want to testify, but my fiance convinced me to. I'm still having anxiety attacks and nightmares, but it is getting better. I think facing them and telling the world (or at least the Judicial branch) what they did will help. As the FBI Liason told us, they won't care what we are saying... they are hardened criminals. It will be white noise to them. It's every day business.

Well *phew* enough of that. In happier news, I got my seedlings planted last night! I have one green bean, two lima beans, three corn stalks, and hopefully the carrots survive. I have a pumpkin to plant, some green bell peppers (eventually) and I think I will pot the parsley and basil I'm growing.

I'm going to start another batch of seeds, more than likely today, and we'll see what else I can come up with! I've also got a couple of potatoes I'm going to sprout... we have the PERFECT soil for gold skin potatoes!!

Well, I guess I just needed to vent for a moment, so I'm going to wander off for a while. Maybe I'll sneak to the break room and grab me a pear from the fridge. I had SO many I started taking them to work and giving them away!

Hope everyone is well, talk with you later!

"I'm not trying to be mean or cantankerous. I just wish people would do the right thing, and use a little common sense." ~ Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX

http://www.bricolagewedding.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  10:02:06 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Hi all, taking a break from the kitchen. Picked 4 5qt pails of tomatoes last night, 2 5qt pails of green peppers and 1 5qt pail of onions. spread onions to dry in the greenhouse, spread tomatoes in there too, most are still a bit green, falling off the plants, not good,but hey, I take what I can get. Some kind of blight is making the tomato plants wilt and die and they are full of bloom and fruit, really weird, no pests and not moles...and it's hit n miss throughout the plants. nothing else is wilting.we tested 2 plants near the house, very healthy where we put them, one day they are perky, next they are all wilted, but not dead yet..maybe acid rain? Put 3 qts of peppers in the freezer while hubby watered garden, we need rain. 85 today, so muggy, got a/c on and enjoying it. can't wait til i can open the doors tonight and get fresh air. corn is filling out nicely, put mineral oil on the tip of each silky end to stop worms from eating them, read it somewhere on the internet.
picking more green beans tonight, got 38 qts in the freezer so far.

peggy, if you lived near me i would give you some maties... i got some bacon, want to make a BLT very soon. teehee

well, stay cool..laters.. xoxox

Thomas Edison: "Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." :)
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  10:08:27 AM  Show Profile
Miranda, how scary to be victim of a bank robbery! Good for you for going to court. I'm sure what ever you say will help put them away for a while. Sounds like you have some great garden plans!

Peggy, I'm jealous of your mist. It is still pretty hot here. Little better today but no rain in site for quite a while I'm sure.

I'm dreading starting school. I'm having so much fun in my sewing room. I think of new things all the time and know I only have until the end of September to "be creative". Then it's back to work with homework 5 to 6 hours a day. I hope to at least have one play day a week. But I'm also hoping to get work study at the college to earn some extra money that I need badly. I was hoping for the Oregon Opportunity Grant for school money but didn't get it. Not sure why. I needed it for school books and tutition for next summer. Now I'm going to have to go one more fall quarter to graduate. I'm also short about 350.00 for fall for living expenses and books. Even with the full year scholarship I'll be short. It only pays for 12 units a quarter and I'm taking 14 the first and 17 units each of the next two quarters. If only my fabric sales and etsy sales would do something! I'm working on a new project with some photo's I have. I'm altering them in my computer to look more like artwork. Then print them out and sell them on Etsy. I'm waiting on some advise from a artist friend of mine as to the best way to proceed. I just have too many ideas and can't keep up! Not enough energy in the day for me. By about 3:30pm I'm pooped and can't do much else. I have children's book ideas, quilt ideas, sewing project ideas, photograph ideas... so many things so little energy!

Anyway, sorry to rant. Just dealing with a bit of monkey mind right now.. brain on a hamster wheel!

later all, Stay cool and remember... we will all be complaining about the cold and snow before long.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:
Handmade stuff http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile
Fabric www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  4:01:40 PM  Show Profile
Hey Porchies!!!

I've finally caught a few minutes and decided to pop in real quick.

I've been dealin with so much. There's not enough room here for it all. Here's a few highlights.

My middle DD was hit by a car while ridin her bike. She's okay, just some bruisin on the bones in her knee. She's limpin some, but basically okay. Wish I could say the same for her brand new bike! The insurance won't pay for it either. So we are all pretty unhappy with the situation.

She also had to have her tonsils out just 4 days after the accident. She's recovered from that alot better than the other.

My youngest DD broke a tooth fallin down the stairs. She had to have a crown put on it. 2 hours of screamin and cryin later, and 2 weeks of pain killers and a sore mouth later, she loves her 'new sparkle tooth', as she calls it.

We lost my uncle a few weeks back and it was totally out of the blue. The family couldn't afford to pay for a funeral and burial, so the county split the cost of a cremation with them and we had a memorial out at my grandparents house. It was nice, but I'm still tryin to recover from the shock.

Our apartment has been broken into twice and our truck 3 times. The neighbors in the middle have been broken into once and had their plates stolen from their car. The new neighbors on the other end haven't been touched! I'm really startin to believe the middle neighbors when they said the new people were just gonna bring trouble. So far they haven't taken anything from the house, except the tray of cupcakes I had made to surprise the girls with. I hope they choked on them!

At hubby's work they had a guy kill himself because his wife left him. It was someone Hubby had been workin with off and on and he really liked him. I just don't know how to deal with that one!

We also found out Hubby's cousin was arrested for lack of payment of childsupport. He's gonna be there for quite a while. We didn't even know he had a kid! Wow! That was a really wild situation.

My oldest DD got her first apartment. She's so proud and so are we! She's probably called me a million times to ask how to clean this, or bake that, what does the lease mean by this, and how to hang curtians. I'm startin to wonder if it wouldn't be easier if I just moved in with her! LOL!

Indiana is in a major drought. So we didn't get to have fireworks at fourth of july, and my gardens are completely toasted. It was almost a total loss. I'm pretty bummed about it.

Well, thats the worst of it. I'm just tryin to get by. Things aren't very peaceful or rosie around here, but we are hangin on.

I'm gonna try to get on here a little more often. I really need to find time for my fellow porchies. I get so much from bein on here with you all. I feel better already.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?

Edited by - natesgirl on Aug 08 2012 4:19:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  4:19:21 PM  Show Profile
Oh my, Angela, you have been through the mill lately. I do hope things start going better for you. The new neighbors sound like they may need to be watched for awhile, I swear, you can't trust anyone. Be safe and know that we will be thinking of you. Glad to see you back, hope you can stay now.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  5:01:34 PM  Show Profile
Yikes! You ladies have been through some tough stuff recently! Praying for you and all your circumstances. Keep holding on to God!

~hugs,
April

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  9:28:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!
April, it sounds like you had a good time in Boston! I've never been to the East Coast, but I'd love to someday! Glad to hear you're also getting a heat relief, we are too. It was so hot around here in the beginning of summer, heat relief is nice.
Netty, luckily I only had two that needed to be removed, and I did them both at the same time. It's all over now!
Dianne, while I am happy that I got my license, I need a job now so I can contribute to gas and insurance! Reality indeed! Are you lucky enough to be able to have a good farmers' market near you? It sounds like it if they're your garden!
Miranda, I know that you'll be able to get through the tesimony. Stay strong girl!
Bunny, I'm in the same boat school wise. Summer has just been too fun for me to want to go back. This summer in particular has just gone by way too fast for my liking.
Angela, sounds like you and your family have been through the ringer! I'll pray for you and your family through this time. i do hope that you'll be on here more, we're always here for you if you need us! Hugs to you!
Miss Peggy, for some reason today I thought, hm, Peggy hasn't posted any grandchildren pictures in a while. I hope that your entire family is doing well! And I hope that your fibro isn't acting up too much these days.
Well, the surgery went well. I ended up not going under, and I honestly was ok! I was so nervous this morning, and it was all for nothing. The oral surgeon was so nice, and right now, my pain is at a minimum. I was really tired afterwards, but that wasn't anything a nap couldn't fix. Tomorrow hopefully I'll be able to be productive! I wish everyone wonderful Thursdays!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  01:09:45 AM  Show Profile

All taken this morning on my walk with the dog.

Evening My Porchies...Well it has been a busy day. I am tired but it is a good tired.

While I walk Snickers every morning I have been taking pictures of all my Neighbors flowers, as I walk. They are probably all wondering who the Strange Lady is casing thier joint with a camera? Anyway...flowers are my favorite subject matter to capture on camera. They don't move at the wrong time, or make silly faces or balk at having their pictures taken. They are just Lovely and Quiet...Speaking only from the beauty they posses.

Well Judy...we now own a Silver VW Bug too. Husband loved driving it tonight. I will get my turn tomorrow.
He wanted me to drive it tonight but I was right in the middle of laundry...so, I gave him the opportunity first.

April...glad that you signed up for the Photo Swap again this time. I think it is a fun swap too and I hope everyone joins in and enjoys it as much as you and I did.

Netty...Oh, my goodness, three trash bags of tomatoes...I wish I was closer too.

I loved your comment about the larger wheel base on the newer Bugs. I think everything about the newer models are bigger and better. I can remember that on cold mornings even the bug took forever to heat up. This one has a Sun Roof, a Great Sterio System, the cute little Shasta Daisy on and on. Just adorable!

Dianne I will try to patiently wait on the Alpaca yarn...I am just so tickled that you are going to let me try some of it. But I will try to calm myself down and not bug you about it. LOL

Miss Miranda...I remember you telling us about when you were robbed, when it happened. Too bad that you have to go to court...but I hope by your testimony they will be put away for a very long time. Just keep that as your formost thought...that you will be doing the World a big favor by what you are going to do...helping to get them locked away for a very long time.

Bunny...yeah, I wondered if you guys got any of that Coastal Mist but figured probably NOT as you are up the Gorge quite a ways.
Hey girl...you know that everyone can "rant" on The Porch!
No apology necessary! If we can't vent with friends then where can we vent?

Your statement, "So many things, so little energy"...is a feeling I know all to well. I also loved your "brain on hampster wheel" LOl

You really have a great sense of humor...love it!

Angela...goodness girl...I thought maybe you were up to your eyeballs in canning your garden. Soooo sorry to hear about all your various trials. Goodness! Living back in an Apartment myself...I could relate to that having to watch your "stuff". Somebody stole the neighbor Ladies hose a week ago and she was fit to be tied as her flowers were all dying. The apt. mgrs got her a new hose today...which was nice, they didn't have to do that.

Sounds like the loss of your uncle was really quick and unexpected. That is hard.

And my oh my...I really don't think Suicide is the answer to marital problems. But at least the guy didn't go kill his ex-wife and kids or something horrific like that.

Like others have said...we are keeping you in our prayers.

Janet...I am with you girl, some people just bare watching...especially when you all have to live together in a close community...as Apartment Living is.
The Apartments we just moved to seem really quite compared to some. We have a nice mix of young families, singles and us Oldies but Goodies. LOL

Megan...glad to hear that the Teeth extractions wasn't too horrible. Seems like people always have stories about getting their wisdom teeth out. So, do we get dummer if we have to have our Wisdom teeth removed? One of those oximorons, I think.

It has been a little while, maybe just over a month...since I posted Grand-daughter pictures. I am going back to Seattle on the 25th...so, I am sure I will bore you all with new ones soon.
That's just what Grandma's do.

OK My Lovelies...If you hand over the Chocolate Nobody Will Get Hurt! I have been on a diet for two days (lost 4 lbs...water weight I am sure) and had to have a little piece of a Dark Choc. and Sea Salt Candy Bar tonight. I only ate one row of squares...so, I behaved myself...as I felt like devouring the whole thing and repenting later. Ha Ha!

I'm off to get my beauty sleep...which is harder and harder these days.

big hugs,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page

Rustic Reb
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Rebecca
Pickford Michigan
97 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  04:40:05 AM  Show Profile
Scoot over, porchies. Let me wiggle in for a moment. After all this time I am still confused as to what DD, DH, and all these great letters mean when refering to our kids n spouses. Fill me in please...

Don't be sorry that it's over... Be glad that it happened.
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  05:06:52 AM  Show Profile
Hey Rebecca!

Here is a quick reference chart for you!!!!

DD = dear daughter
DS = dear son
DH = dear husband

I know there are others, y'all can add to the list! :)

Hugs,

April

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

Rustic Reb
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Rebecca
Pickford Michigan
97 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  05:11:02 AM  Show Profile
Thats what the D's mean! Thanks April

Don't be sorry that it's over... Be glad that it happened.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  05:50:42 AM  Show Profile
Megan, so glad your surgery went well and only had to have 2 teeth extracted. That helped with the main management, I am sure. How wonderful to get your driver's liscense with flying colors. Hopefully you will be able to find a part time job to help pay for the insurance, etc. The rain dance did not work yet, but rain is supposed to be on it's way here today. I hope so!!! Our gardens and lawns are so dry.
Peggy, those are beautiful pictures of your neighbor's flowers. I love all flowers as well, and hope someday to take great photos like you do.
Today I need to declutter my corner of the diningroom, which is where my sewing machine is. I have so much stuff there, I cannot even get to my machine. I want to start, or should I say, finish up some projects that I have started awhile ago. You know, Christmas is not too far away now!!!!
Have a great day all,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  07:32:20 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls, for the support! I know that I am doing the right thing by testifying, but it's not easy, at the same time. One of the victim's counselors I've been working with kept his eyes locked on me the entire time. I don't think that the ADAs realized just how bad my situation was during the robbery... there has been some miscommunication, and I approached the VAC about it. Since then, things have gone a lot smoother, but I have also started having nightmares again, flashbacks, lack of sleep. I was shaking and near tears most of the time.

And Angela I read your trials and tribulations and realize how lucky I am! Last year was like that for me... I moved, had issues with that, one of my dearest friends was murdered, we were robbed at work, the roommate's girlfriend tried to have people break into the house, had to put my cat down, Josh's nephew was hit by a car... just seemed like it was never ending!! But, it's getting better, and I realize we just have seasons of sadness and tribulation. We just have to move ever onward! (which is why I have the reminder tattooed on my wrists... teehee).

I didn['t get a whole lot done yesterday, but Josh did! He pretty much finished cleaning the kitchen for me, did some laundry, tidied the living room. When I got home, after resting, I started chili for supper. While that was cooking, I worked on my statement for the trial. I want to make sure it's really what I want to say when I get there!

I got home too late to really start any seeds, but I should be off a little earlier, only have one errand to run, and then I will try to get some planting done. Maybe I'll make a tuna casserole tonight!

Lucky for me, Train has been a good boy and hasn't tried tearing down the fence around my garden. It's light weight chicken wire, but I noticed that he didn't mess with the tomatoe cages, so I decided to take a chance with the chicken wire and it's working!

He's also learning fetch really well. He's funny, he gets all the toys and puts them in one big pile in the floor and tries to keep them away from the rat terrier. And that just makes her so mad, she tries to attack him. He's big enough to swallow her whole!!

Well, ladies, I should probably find something around here to get busy working on! Hope everyone has a great day!

"I'm not trying to be mean or cantankerous. I just wish people would do the right thing, and use a little common sense." ~ Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX

Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  07:37:24 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning All

Update on Michael. I went to se him and his mother at the hospital. They have him in ICU. they put him on dialasis (spelling?) to try and rid him of the toxin. Please keep praying.

Miranda I can understand why you have nightmares and anxiety attacks. I would to. I hope facing the fear and putting a close on it will help. Praying for you.

Patsy I can my green beans. I have never cared for the flavor fresh out of the garden. Weird I know. Do you have a good recipe for fresh green beans you would share? Maybe I just have not had them fixed properly.

Bunny I love the "brain on hamster wheel" I have felt like that a number of times. LOL
I know what you mean about not wanting to go back to school. I have to be back to work, at the school, Aug 20th. I am so not looking forward to it. I have enjoyed the time I have had playing with the alpacsa and the fleece.

Angela Praise God that she is ok. How scary for you.
Wow you have been through a lot. Praying for you.

Megan glad the surgery went well. I really hate going to the dentist.

Peggy love the flower pics. I am glad other people can grow them. I need flowers that kind of grow themselves. I am bad. But like Bunny said "So many things, So little time"

I best get off and get my day started. I need to get the hard stuff done before it gets to hot.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  08:35:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh wow, lots going on since I was on yesterday (or maybe it was Tuesday?? I don't know lol). Prayers & happy thoughts & hugs for everyone who needs them! And welcome to the new porchies!

My carpets are as clean as they are going to get right now. I really despise carpets - they are so disgusting, especially apartment carpets. I probably could have cleaned 3 or 4 more times & still not had all the disgustingness out of them. I told my friend that I was never having carpets in my own place - I'm going to get hall runners & put on either side of the bed instead! Solves the problem in my little world lol.

I think I have all of the stuff I want to donate somewhere (probably Value Village or Goodwill, just depending). 2 boxes of stuff. Clothes, books, jewelry...I probably have more, but I don't feel like going through stuff now. Mom is coming (should be here in about an hour & a half) so that we can go to the BIG city for a dr appt - how fun. I hate the city. I can handle it in small doses, but by halfway through the 2nd day, I'm done. I just look at Mom & say "Ok, I'm done, let's go." Usually she is too by that time. I do have a couple of places I would like to stop, just for something different, but it's not a big deal. I'm sure I'll probably be going again in a few months anyhow.

I did my dishes, so now I have to take my garbage out (before garbage guys come), go uptown & get my mail & library books, make toothpaste, finish packing for tomorrow (just a couple of bathroom things left)....and whatever else I can think of! lol Have a good day ladies!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  08:46:33 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Blanching green beans for the freezer now. Might have a lil over 10 qts.
Diane: I just cook my beans with ham hocks,onion,garlic, just season to my taste and cook them a long time. :)

Miranda: that Train is quite the character isn't he? I just LOL at his antics..praying you get your statement just the way you want it for the trial.

Janet: I wondered who would speak of Christmas first, been waiting, lol

well, off to get the work done before it gets hot, might have some rain today..not holding my breath tho.lol

Thomas Edison: "Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." :)
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  11:13:23 AM  Show Profile
Ok, time to catch up!

I was not able to join the gym this last week, so I'm still un-buff ha ha.

Judy- My back and leg acts up mostly from stress and tensing up my back muscles. Congrats on your new fridge. I have that basic white one. It's small, too. I kind of like that because it keeps us from losing food to the back of the fridge and not seeing it again until it is trying to bite us and we have to fight it off, he he.

Janet- Time sure does fly the older one gets. I have to be very picky how I spend my time, because I just can't do everything I want to do.

Netty- Hi girl! Sounds like you had a fun vacation. We're hoping to go on vacation next year. I think I would feel like your neighbor lady if it rained. I would just stand there and watch it. It's not so nice if I'm out driving because it seems like the other drivers all act like they have never seen rain before and drive crazy, but at home it's nice to sit and watch. I'm really sorry you have to sell your sheep. This drought is just awful, I worry for the whole country. Maybe this will open the door to do something else. Please bring some pickles to the porch!

Peggy- Happy for your kids doing well in their new jobs. Glad you are getting your DH out of your hair, too! Those guys can get underfoot just like a toddler sometimes. Did you find your jewelry? Congrats on the car, the new-to-you one, not the dead one. We play Slugbug every time we're out. I told DH if I had a VW I would get a bumper sticker that says "Slugbug." I think you're right about Facebook. I'm keeping my family members and some farmgirls but I have hidden everyone else all businesses, etc. I will stick with the Porch and the people I see all the time. I used to do Twitter and still have the account. I haven't gone there in over a year but I now have more followers by not tweeting than followers when I did tweet! Hee hee...everyone loves following my silence.

Cherime- I agree with you on roaches. No way no how can I stand them. I hope that young lady feels better about herself soon. I read a saying the other day that I love: "When Satan reminds you of your past mistakes, remind him of his future."

Miranda- Good luck with your seeds. I've had the best success making sure the plants don't have direct sunlight in the afternoon. I'll try planting my winter garden on November 1st this year. I planted December 1st last year and wished everything had been a month earlier. Radishes, onions, lettuce, chard, kale, and spinach did great. Yea, you found a wedding venue! DH works in Lockhart a couple times a week. They do have good barbque in that town.

Monica- I'm hoping we will get some rain from anything in the Caribbean or Gulf.

Bunny- I hope you do well in the quilting contest. Your classes sound interesting. I like numbers and finances, though. I think you'll do great. Plus you are a celebrity there now *wink*.

April- Your trip to Boston sounded lovely. I'd like to see a baseball game like that one day.

Judith- I hope your August is going much slower than your July. Whew! That is way too much stuff going on. I wish I could do the yo-yo swap, but I think I better lay low and finish the projects I already have going.

Shanda- Oh my gosh! I'm glad you're ok. We have deer all over the place here and we have a few close calls every year. It's nerve racking. I hope it doesn't get too expensive.

Megan- Woo hoo! Everyone stay out of Wisconsin, Megan's on the loose! Ha ha. Good for you girl. My dad made me learn to drive stick in case I was ever out with someone and if they drank and couldn't drive I wouldn't be stranded. And it did happen once in college. I had 4 other people who were very happy I could drive stick and was able to get us all back home. My DD is going into 1st grade. We had a great time school shopping. She knows what she likes and I had to bite my tongue over a few things she liked. There was nothing wrong with the clothes like being skimpy or controversial, but I didn't like the color or pattern. BUT I'm not the one who has to wear it, she does and she likes it. I didn't get that much say in my clothes when I was young.

Angela- I'm glad your daughter is ok. That's terrible the insurance company won't pay for a new bike. That doesn't sound very nice. I'm sorry about your uncle. I hope people will stop breaking into your car and house. Maybe you could leave a note saying you've already been robbed and they took all the good stuff already.

Ok, I think I'm caught up for now. Still working on cleaning up stuff for the sitting room. DD is acting like a nut and I might have to go tie her to the tree for awhile lol. Not really but she is driving me crazy. Just having one of those days I would like quiet and she is having a make noise day. Tomorrow we'll go do yard work on our Assembly Hall for a few hours. Our congregation is responsible for it this time. I'll check in with you girls later. Have a good one.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BitsofEntropy?ref=si_shop
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  01:04:51 AM  Show Profile

See Judy...Now we're Twins!!!! LOL

One of the Ladies in our new Apartment Bldg...found a cute way to grow flowers.

And I thought this Tractor Whirlygig...was cute, on my walk today.

Good Very Early Morning Girls...

Rebecca...I got your postcard today on the
Post Card Swap. Loved your Story!!!
Welcome to the Porch!!
Glad that April cleared up the text abbreviations for you.
I have a kind of funny story about someone not really knowing what an abbrev. meant.
This happened just recently...this Woman's brother died suddenly and she wanted everyone in her family to know as soon as possible. So she sent emails to all of her family members stating that Uncle So and So died, and how her heart was broken at the loss and that he would be greatly missed by all.
Then she signed it
LOL Mom
Her daughter called and said that she was so sad to hear that her favorite Uncle had died and that she appreciated her mom letting them all know right away...but she said, I thought it was kind of Weird that you signed it LOL Mom. Her mom said, Why was that weird??? The daughter said because LOL means Laugh Out Loud. Her Mother gasped and said, Oh, my gosh I thought it meant Lots Of Love...I got to get off here and make some phone calls quick! *giggle*snort*giggle*

Janet...how did the decluttering go?
Thanks for the comments on My Photo's...I love taking pictures and have won a few competitions with them. Some have been used in International Books also. But it really is just a Hobby with me. I take them because I love to capture God's beauty on Earth. My oldest Son and I took a Night Class On Photography together years ago...taught by one of the Local Newspaper Photographers. We learned a lot from him and we both love to do photography to this day. My son has a better Artistic Eye...than I have, so we like to share our work with each other...as we are both passionate about different aspects and subject matter of photography. I am a realist and he likes to create art.

Miss Miranda...I am so sorry that your destifying about the robbery is bringing flash backs and nightmares. But I think that would be a pretty normal result of a Traumatic Event like that.

Josh gets kudos for helping you with the House Work. I watch my sons...and they all three are good about doing that. They are also much more actively involved in their childrens lives etc. That is not how my generation was...we spoiled our husbands and now we are paying big time for it...as they get lazier...the older they get. My sons could teach their dads a few things about what it means to "do your part". LOL

Tank is being a good boy...staying out of your garden!

Dianne...I can grow pretty flowers...in pots now...as I have no yard or garden space in the Apart. Complex...but it's so much fun to see what other people do with their flowerbeds and yards too.

Pam...I need to do the same thing with my carpets and re-clean them. I am with you...there is nothing worse than
Apartment Carpeting. I know they cleaned these before we moved in because I stopped by and they had just finished them...but there are so many stains that have wicked back up...and I know a man and his two sons lived here before we did...so, I kind of wish they had just replaced the carpets here...but they didn't. I much prefer Hardwoods over carpeting any day of the week. If this was my place I would rip out the carpet and put hardwoods down.

Julie...I got my tea pkg. today. Thanks sooooo much. Both teas sound amazing and I have never had either one of them before...never even heard of the brand...so I am excited to try them.
Loved the little Velum/Picture note you made and thanks for the lettuce seed. I may have to pass them on to my DIL since I have no garden spot here...but I will still get to eat some of it!
You did a lovely job for your Tea Month!

Judy...we are now the Proud Owners of a 2005 VW Bug and my husband has plenty of room in it! I really like it!

Well, I am off to sleep...I have to be up in 6 1/2 hrs for a Dr. Appt. and then I get to go buy a new recliner (for me) after that apptmnt. My husband got a check for somebooks he had published in Germany. So, yahoo...I have been waiting to get me a Recliner for about four years. i found a beautiful Red Leather one, that I hope is still there tomorrow. I saw it about two weeks ago over in Portland...so,IF it's meant to be...it's meant to be...if it's gone it's NOT!

Sweetest Dreams,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 10 2012 01:13:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  07:22:40 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning

I hear thunder I see clouds! Will there be rain? Probably. Just because my 2 oldest Gkids are coming over to help me sort all the white rock (that is not white any more) by the front walk. Who ever put it in did not put down any kind of weed block. So now it is weeds and dirt.
It may just blow over like all the rest of the little storms that have come through. At least it will be cooler!

Pam I am sooooo with you on the carpet thing. If this was my house I would rip them all out! I love hard wood floors and small area rugs.

Patsy I wil give it a try. Do you cook them in a slow cooker or just on the stove? I use the same recipe for my canne beans.

Julie I had to laugh at the drivers in the rain. It reminded me of how the drivers act around here when we get the first snow. LOL

Peggy love the car! I have a friend who got one, hers is green, and she loves it.
Love the pics you post from your walks.
Peggy that story made ROFLOL I can so relate.

So far no rain just thunder. Oh Well I need to get some work done on the frontyard any way.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  08:14:46 AM  Show Profile
*flops down on a rocking chair, deflated* I bragged on my dawg too soon.... I came home yesterday, all excited and ready to dig around some more.... and he had moved one of the fence stakes and wiggled under and dug up my corn, eaten the bean stalks, and generally destroyed everything but the tomatoes. One of my coworkers said she had that problem with her dobies and they ended up putting out an electric fence. Looks like that dirt patch is Train's sunning spot.

I think I got the statement for the trial just right. Being a writer, I did the same as if I was writing a short story. Drafted it, corrected it and came up with the fourth and pretty much final version. We shall see!

Got a phone call last night from my future MIL. She and Pop (future FIL) want to come down for Labor Day weekend. I wasn't sure Josh would go for it, but he seems fine so we'll clean up the house and let them know to come on down! We were going to tidy up and finish unpacking in the spare rooms anyway. Especially since I really need to get working on my wedding dress. Even if I only get the veil and train done right now, I will feel better.

Julie... OH MY I know about the barbeque. One of my friends works at our Lockhart branch of the credit union, and it's RIGHT across the street from Kreuz market... I'd be in trouble if I worked with her. I used to be good friends with the general manager at Kreuz, and the pitmaster, Roy, always made sure to take good care of me. He could be grouchy with other folks, but liked me for some reason. I ordered a pound of beef ribs once, and got two ribs... it was like steak with a rib bone in it!!

I need to schedule a time with Chuck (owner of Agarita Ranch) so Josh and I can go see the place. Maybe we'll go the sunday before my trial... nice peaceful setting, and good memories

Peggy, it is wonderful to have Josh to help me. Some times I have to give him a nudge, but he never complains. It would be different if we weren't working full time. If I stayed home or worked part time, I'd be less demanding. I'd be happy to take care of the house more if that was the case. My best girlfriend and her husband are the same way. Daddy helped around the house, too. Not so much the cooking or dishes (but that's mostly because Momma was picky about the kitchen, haha!) but definitely maintenence things. I don't recall ever having a repairman at the house when Daddy was alive! Momma always says she misses that about him. And, occasionally, she'd let him cook. About a month before he passed.. at the height of Hatch Chile season, he made a WONDERFUL chile cream soup... but now we can't find the recipe... and knowing my family, Daddy tweaked it anyway, haha. We look at recipes as suggestions, in my family.

SPEAKING of recipes... I looked at my old blue cookbooks from the 1940s and found a dewberry pie recipe. Can't wait till next spring when the mulberry has enough fruit to work with!! It's not producing as much now, since it's getting to the end of the season.

Also, made a meatloaf for supper last night with ground pork and pork breakfast sausage... about half and half. It was AWESOME and very economical. I may try other bulk sausage mixes, too!

And Dianne, you are more than welcome to send the storm and cooler weather my way :) It'll mean giving my white catahoula a bath (because inevitably he will be grey instead of white, with the black gumbo soil we have) but it will be worth it!!

Ah, yes, that reminds me... he is quite the character.... I found a few more of their toys (some that he was scared of when I first got him) and he's decided to try to go outside and bury them. We're having to teach him not to bury the "babies" (plush toys) just the bones and rawhides. I'm telling you, I bought him a HUGE rawhide roll and he took it outside, and I haven't seen it since!!

Well, ladies... guess I should finish checking emails.... there's been a lot of movement around my company lately and new positions are coming available. I'm just biding my time for one to come up closer to home. Hope you are all doing well!! TGIF!!

Pflugerville, TX

Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  08:24:10 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Well, we did get some rain and i was all excited about my 2 plastic rain barrels being full when i noticed one leaking at the bottom where the hose spigot hooks to the barrel.. I went to turn it on to fill up an empty barrel and the spigot came off in my hand! cheap plastic stuff! hubby is gonna fix both barrels somehow, cause the other is leaking too... meanwhile, i dipped with a bucket to get most of it into other barrels, have a total of 5 barrels, so filled 3..and wouldn't ya know it, it looks like rain today too, sigh, can't win.

got 12 more qts of green beans put in the freezer for a total of 50. very happy with that since i had 38 in there from last year. now i need to work on the roma tomatoes

Peggy, read your lil comment about the LOL and the favorite uncle to hubby and he just LOLd with me. funny, but not....*giggling*
So your hubby is a writer! neat! Hope you get that chair..
Loved the tractor whirlagig, hubby would love to do some metal art, but we have no welder. I've seen some wonderful pieces, so creative.

Diane, we're the same about carpet. I have 100% wood floors, walls n ceilings, loving it. throw rugs are my fav too.
I do the same with canned or fresh beans. cooking them a few hours slowly on top of the stove just makes them taste better. ;)

Pam, that's how my house is. rugs everywhere and on either side of the bed. ;l works for me.

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  10:33:31 AM  Show Profile
Miranda, I feel your pain with regard to Train and the garden. I use to have Scooby. He was 142lbs of a mixture we think was great dane and what ever couldn't run fast enough. I once bought 9 foxglove plants and before I could get them planted he ate 6 of them, and then the other 3 the next day. Foxgloves are digitalis a drug used for heart patients. They didn't phase him at all. A person would have died. I couldn't have any plants where he could get to them. He was so big he could charge a fence and put a whole right through it. I finally used two layers of horse fencing and then put chicken wire on the bottom with slits to go around the fence posts. That way when he would dig, he would actually pull the fencing tighter against the posts and couldn't get underneath. It took a while to get smarter then the dog. Good luck! You'll figure it out.

Peggy, love the pictures! Your new bug is cute. I'm sure the gas mileage is better.

I'm having a hard time keeping up with everyone! So much going on.

Julie, you'll get the to gym in time. Don't give up. Sorry DD has so much energy on a day you need quiet. But someday when she drives away for the last time, you will miss days like that.

Angela, sorry you are having such terrible stuff happening. Too many things at once. I'll pray for a calming in your life.
I like the idea about the sign on the door for burglars. Maybe a big post out front for everyone's benefit. I hope it stops soon.

Not much going on here. Had a stressful day yesterday. Mom keeps saying when my stepdad dies she is going to lose her house. She will lose her SSI and only have his. Then the next day she says she has it all worked out. Then a month later she is at it again. She has alternatives I don't have as far as living arrangements. I just want to get my college out of the way and get out on my own. I had nightmares and woke up with a terrible headache from clenching my teeth all night. Sad thing is she is LDS and says they won't help her at all when the time comes. My sister lives in Utah and her church is paying her rent, car payment and cell phone bill. Maybe my mom should move to Utah when stepdad dies. He is in the VA home and not doing very well. She gives him a year, I'm hoping he hangs on a little longer. I told her it would probably take at least a year for the bank to evict her and foreclose anyway. Too stressful to deal with this again. Her glass is always more than half empty.

At least I have my sewing for now. I'm working on a few things I hope will bring me some income. My little bright quilts and some photo's I have been working on manipulating on my computer. I hope to sell them as art on my etsy site when I get this hammered down. Here is one of them...

Hope you all get the rain you need....

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
www.bunnyrose.com
My shops:
Handmade stuff http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile
Fabric www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  4:15:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi everybody, Man, what a busy place.
First off, welcome to the new Gals, Shellee&Rebecca. Always room for more on our porch!
Peg, loved the gorgeous flower pics. Very bright. DH and I play slugbug every time we go out. It's fun. And when I go out alone in my bug, I always see other people hitting each other and saying"Slug-bug." hahaha It's fun to see things from the receiving end of the game. *giggle* Cute story about LOL. For the longest time my Mama did that too. We had to tell her about it. But I bought a texting book not too long ago and it says it stands for both. Can't win. *sigh*
oooooooooooo....just saw your Beetle-Bug pic....do you have a sun/moon roof too?I can't tell by the pic.My Mom wants one of those 3 wheel bikes but I told her that with her bad eyesight and poor hearing, it probably wasn't a good idea. She lives in a rough/busy neighborhood.
Megan, congrats girlie on the drivers permit and on the wisdom teeth surgery going well for ya.
Glad you snapped back quickly. When I had mine out(they took all 4)I was woozy for 4 days. Couldn't walk a straight line for love nor money!hahahaha
Julie, I enjoyed that saying. Good one!My back and legs and right shoulder have been acting up something awful. Finally had to go see my Chiropractor Tuesday.
Miranda, "oh no", on the bad dog story. Yup, ya spoke toooo soon! *giggle*
Well we had rain this morning and sun/clouds all afternoon/77. Tonight is gonna be 55. Great for sleeping...I hope.Only if my back lets me rest well.Last night was rough.
Well have a great evening Gals!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  5:01:42 PM  Show Profile
Hey ya'll! I just posted this on a swap thread, but it's so pretty I thought I'd share it here. This is waht my swap partner sent me in the dishcloth swap.

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page