Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2016 :  09:31:41 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I missed one day and..."HOLY-MOLY"...everything went crazy on here. So glad Dan is better than expected, Praise the Lord.
Happy to hear that the tornado DIDN'T touch down.
Praying n Praising! God IS Good!!!
We went down to Uhrichsville to visit my niece and her family(the one Patsy stayed with while she was here and not with me). We had a fire and roasted hot dogs and brats and just sat around and laughed n talked. Dave's on vacation this week so we had some free time to do this. They've been wanting us to come down and sit around the fire pit with them.
Dave's tests showed what we thought they would. "He HAS to lose weight!!! It's affecting his heart and lungs. He's a nurse, he should know better. That's why he's coughing so much now. Please keep him in your Prayers as God nudges you to think of him. Thank you girls!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
FGOTM:Jan.2012
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"Give a weed an inch and it'll take a yard!"
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2016 :  6:50:27 PM  Show Profile
Good evening ladies,
God is amazing. Not only did we have tornado warnings but two were above schools in our town. My school and my hubby's. Thankfully they never did touch down. When we saw the pictures the next day we knew we had a protective hand. But along with tornados came rain. We had 7-8 inches in our area. My sweet hubby and I spent time in our basement cleaning up water afterward. It was quite the storm. On Friday you would have never known. It was a beautiful day.

Today we spent time cleaning up our farm from branches and cleaning gutters and things. Tornados are rare in September here but occasionally we are reminded to be vigiiant. The washer has been going today to clean towels and things.

Tonight I have been taking it easy after a very long crazy week. At this point I may need several pairs of wings for myself. I nearly lost mine this week lol
well just wanted to check in and say hello
love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Purple Skies
http://mypurpleskies.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2016 :  11:44:05 AM  Show Profile
Happy Sonday Girls....

Hubby and I spent time up in the Hospital ICU last night with friends of the family.
Their son Abdullah 37 yrs old had a major stroke yesterday afternoon. We love this kid
and his wife Krissie like they are our own kids. In fact my husband married them 15 yrs
ago. Abdullah and Krissie are very close friends with my youngest son Shane and his wife
Sadie. The waiting room was packed with many of our old Church Friends and all of Abdullah's
family (which is large). We still don't know if he will pull through or not but if he
does he will have permanent paralyses on his left side and probably have to be in a wheel-
chair. He is a really big guy and has struggled with his weight ever since we have known
him. I'm sure that is what has caused his massive stroke. The bleed area is the size of a
Silver Dollar and they couldn't get it to stop for the longest time. They don't want to go
in and do surgery until they see if he makes it in the next 3 days. This guys is just the
sweetest man you could ever meet!!! When the Paramedics were taking him out they ask both
his wife and his MIL how much he had to drink that day...and Krissie said, "Of What?" The
Paramedics said, "Of Alcohol" They both said, "He doesn't drink! Never has!" Because he
was incoherent they just assumed he had fallen and was talking gibberish because he was drunk!
My son just texted me and said that they had to just now put him on life support and may
do brain surgery after 30 minutes. They are waiting to see if the incubation helps bring
down his blood pressure and sugar levels...they have sky rocketed off the charts several times.
Which is causing severe pressure on his brain. They didn't want to have to do surgery as
it could make the paralysis worse. So, sharing all this just to ask you to PRAY for Abdullah
and Krissie and all the Family. They are all Christians so that helps...their Faith is strong...
and they want a Miracle!

Thanks my beloved Porchies!

Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 18 2016 11:45:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2016 :  12:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Peggy Ann we no longer live in Florida. I will have to contact Brian to change that. We moved to Maine in August and have lived here since. The closing of our house was on August 31st and we have spent the last 18 days cleaning the place up, moving in, and getting ready for winter. This will be our first winter here and from the many suggestions we have received we are putting the house in order to survive the winter. With the exception of finishing brining in the wood pile, delivery of pellets, the only thing we have left is putting plastic on the windows and banking the foundation which is what my husband has been working on this past week. The folks around here said we need to finish the job by the end of October, early November at the latest. I am working on getting all the other things we need to claim this state as our home. It sure is a lot of work, more time consuming than anything else. Hopefully by the end of September, I will have everything I need to do done, and then it is a matter of Paul finishing banking the foundation and we will be ready.
I hope you have an enjoyable few days. Anytime you get stay in pj's is a good day.

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2016 :  12:10:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi Becky...we must have been posting at the same time.
I wondered how it could be so cold in Florida? LOL
Now it makes perfect sense. Somehow I missed the whole
"We Moved to Main" part of your story. You are going to
have a very shocking winter compared to what you are use
to. Praying you get everything all done that you need to
before the snow flies and the cold seeps into your bones.

More Later!
Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2016 :  1:18:32 PM  Show Profile
OOOOOO....a PJ day... love those... especially when it's raining or snowing! We gals gab about our PJ days on here all winter! *giggle*
Peggy, Praying with tears and heartache for your dear friend/adopted kids.
Went to another UMChurch today. The sermon was good, on forgiveness and how we carry grudges.It was so noisy when I entered the sanctuary... people yelling to each other, making plans for afterward. We were always taught to quietly prepare for church and be respectful of God's house. Adults behind me talked throughout the sermon. Then when I was leaving and shook the preachers hand and told him I liked his sermon.... he wouldn't let go, had a death-grip on me...almost smacked him. Hahahahaha THAT would have made the papers, I'm sure. hahahaha OK...moving on! *sigh* More churches on my list. Out of 5 so far, I've enjoyed 2. Not bad really.

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2016 :  2:25:08 PM  Show Profile
TLTammy - wowsers! God really did have a hand of protection over you and your hubby!!! I absolutely LOVE how He reminds of His presence, mercy, love, and POWER! What an awesome testimony between the Hand of Protection, and the beautiful following day!!! Sending you lots of love and prayers that your wings might be refreshed and strengthened for this upcoming week <3

Peggy - Oh how heartbreaking! Sending prayers for Abdullah, Krissie, and their families and friends!!! It amazes me how paramedics become so accustomed to things that they start making assumptions, like assuming Abdullah had been drinking! I guess i understand how it could happen - with constantly seeing the same thing over and over again - but you would think they would get the facts prior to making the assumptions. Prior to having my adrenal gland removed, my potassium would drop seriously low, though being on what was considered lethal amounts of supplementation. When it dropped far enough, my hands would cramp, then my jaw/face, then my heart would start acting "stupid" (it messed with the rhythm). Anyways, one of the first times it got really bad, we weren't sure what exactly was going on, so we called 911 (I was home alone with the kids). Anyways, when the paramedics got there, the head guy strolled in, looked at me and told me I was having an anxiety attack! I told him no I wasn't that I wasn't breathing fast enough for that to be the cause. After taking my vitals, he confirmed I was NOT having an anxiety attack and something was definitely "off." But looking back, I found it funny that he had not even asked me anything and just assumed that I was cramping because of an anxiety attack.

Becky - I may be being stupid here and show my clueless-ness, but why plastic on the windows, and what do you mean banking the foundation? Oh and I THINK you can change your location if you click on "profile" at the top. I think that is where I usually go!?!?

Judy - OY! I cannot imagine adults talking DURING the sermon!!!! I love the fellowship of our church. Sunday School is from 9 to 10 and church doesn't start until 1030, so we visit for about 30 minutes in between, though often times SS runs a little over :) Then, after church, we all hang out and fellowship more :) It is such a source of encouragement and a time to pray with one another!!! It will be interesting to see what churches are like in WY! I am not too fond of "church shopping/hopping," so it could be interesting. We will probably try to listen to some sermons online first, if possible, but it doesn't look like too many out there do that!

Today we met with our pastor during the SS hour with our oldest... She has been a believer for a number of years, but has not been baptized... She met with Pastor to request being baptized before we move :) We are hoping it all works out.

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2016 :  2:47:59 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Shannon, Thank you for letting me know where to change my address. Plastic on the windows is to keep the cold and winter winds out of the house, while keeping the warmth inside. As to banking the foundation, this is what I know. Paul is taking foam securing around the foundation, adding a layer like hay to hold in place. This is done to keep the cold out, the snow out, and any ice from entering the basement. It is making a protective barrier around the foundation of the house to keep the frost out according to what Paul has been told.

Judy I agree that talking in church and especially during the sermon is rude. I have run into that as well. I wonder what has happen to manners these days. We have not found a church here, because we are still trying to figure our way around this neck of the country. I have been told that there are a few near us. Houlton is only 8.6 miles away and in the winter it would not be easy to get to. Paul and I have bible study for now and as soon as we are settled in, and hopefully before winter sets in, we will be able to attend at least one or more of the local churches.

Peggy Ann that is okay. I was wondering why you asked me about Florida until I realized that I was still listed as living there. Now it is changed. I am looking forward to winter and especially a white Christmas. For Christmas I purchased snowshoes for us to be given as gifts from our furry children. They are more of a surprise for Paul because I already know about them. We have plenty of places to hike around here and after the man bush hogs our property, we will have more spaces to explore.

Fall leaves are starting to turn. The maple tree in our front yard is already turning red and the other trees around us are changing color. I'll take a picture when they are in their fall glory which should not be much longer.

Time to fix dinner, so I better go. Have a wonderful evening.

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2016 :  3:07:04 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca, living in WY, you could probably find a nice little 'cowboy church' where they wear their spurs. How fun would THAT be? I've read about them and thought how I'd like to attend a nice church like that!* giggle*
Shannon, I agree... there's church time ...then there's coffee chat... but some people can't tell the difference I guess. *sigh*

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2016 :  3:08:41 PM  Show Profile
"DON'T make me put my hands on my hips folk!"hahahaha

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2016 :  5:16:45 PM  Show Profile
Judy...we have a couple of Cowboy Churches here. I have been to one of the two.
They tend to be all Southern Gospel type songs (which is OK) and everyone wears
their Cowboy Boots, Western Shirts, and what have you. Other than that it is just
like any other Church. ~ I do not like it when people are talking all through
Church either. It is very rude and inconsiderate of the people who want to listen
to the sermon. One of my step-daughters is bad that way too or at least she use to be.
And she did the same thing all through a Court proceeding last Fall to. She is 43
and still hasn't grown up in that area. When she use to come stay with us...her dad
and I would get on her case about it. So, she would be quiet (at least for her).

I think there is no respect for other people any more...it's terrible.Everything seems to be "ME, ME, Me!"

Well, justs a quick note to let everyone know that Abdelluh started responding to the
Dr. on his way to surgery. Things like...if you can hear me squeeze my hand. If you
know where you are wiggle your foot...that sort of stuff, so they canceled the surgery
and wheeled him back to ICU as those were all good signs. So, Please keep praying as
he isn't out of the woods yet.

Spent a little time with youngest son and family...but we are all so tired from the Hospital
last night that we weren't very good company for each other. We all should have just taken
a nap. LOL When we can't even enjoy our favorite Antique Mall you know it's BAD.

NAP is what I am about to do now. Hubby is going over to the Main Post Office at the Airport and I'm headed to my recliner for a little bit of putting my feet up and checking out for awhile.

Plus I get a little Nervous When Judy has to put her hands on her hips...I know somebody is
in trouble and I don't want it to be me. LOL

Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 18 2016 5:23:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2016 :  06:09:16 AM  Show Profile
Wow there has been a lot going on the last few days!!

Becky-I hope you get everything done and have a good winter. I will say that anywhere I have to "bank" my foundation is going to be too cold for me!!!

Shannon-I understand all of those feelings!! I felt that way leaving Savannah. I am not going to feel it leaving here because I don't like it here and we don't have any of those wonderful things. It has just been really hard. But at the same time we knew this would be temporary.

About the talking in church. I agree that it is rude and that some people have no manners but I have to share a bit. My husband was brought up in church but not brought up that you stay silent in church. It was just never even suggested that it was rude to talk quietly (and his parents were very strict about other things). The first time I brought him to church with my parents he kept talking and I kept trying to get him to hush and it made my dad mad! Dustin didn't understand what the big deal was at all it never occurred to him that it was rude. He is somewhat better at it now but occasionally he wants to have a conversation right then about something that was said and I have to tell him to wait!! So some of it is just different environment I guess???? His mom also doesn't think being on time is important. I am compulsively punctual and was always raised that it is rude to be late especially habitually and you always leave early. Granted having kids makes me late more often than I like but his mom just gets there when she gets there and doesn't think anything of it. Drives me INSANE!!!! He is sort of the same way so I am constantly pushing him out the door. I am late more often when he is with me than when it is just me and the kids which makes zero sense but that is how it is.

Saturday afternoon all the stress from Dan's burns and trip to the hospital sort of hit me. I was so busy dealing with everything and taking care of Dan that I just really hadn't had time to process it. Now I"m just super exhausted. My body seems to be having trouble recovering from the stress of it all. Luckily Dan seems to be healing very well. I'm going to keep him mostly at home and skip most of our activities that would have him around other kids until he has no open sores just because I don't want the scars to get scratched off or expose him to any infection. Hopefully staying home will also give me a chance to recover.

However.....I basically have 2 weeks to get my house clean and ready for movers. They aren't coming for a month but on Oct 1st some people are coming by to do an inspection of the house for warranty purposes. Which means I have to have it clean enough for them to be poking around every room. Then Oct 7th we have our pre-inspection from housing where they tell us what we need to fix or how much they are going to charge us for any damages. Then the movers come sometime the week of Oct 19th. That is just the first shipment of stuff that goes slower we will have another shipment that supposedly goes faster get picked up in November. So a lot to do and not much time or energy.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2016 :  06:52:01 AM  Show Profile
Becky - WOW! That is a lot of work to prepare for cold!!! I guess I better shoot a text to my brother in SD and make sure I don't need to worry about any of that once we get there in WY! I love that you give gifts from your furbabies <3 That is just awesome!!! Snow shoe-ing (is that what it is called?) would be so much fun!!! Will you be trying your hand at making maple syrup in the future???

Judy - I have never heard of cowboy church, but it sounds lovely :) We visited my brother's church in SD when we visited him and it was quite trendy as far as appearance. We didn't fit in at all, lol. But the people were lovely :)

Peggy - what wonderful news about Abdullah! Continuing to pray for his recovery and for the family!!!

Sabrina - It is so weird.... I hate it here in SC as far as the area and the heat, but I LOVE our church!!!! That and the trees are what I am going to miss the most! When we first moved here, it was suppose to only be temporary... three years.... we have been here over 12! I've never thought much about the different upbringings. My hubby was brought up in a Catholic church, so Bibles were not generally brought along or read... So during a service, he is constantly finding reference scriptures to what is being preached on, as his mind is going 100 mph. He LOVES connecting passages from one Book to another! And I COMPLETELY understand the being more late with him and the kids than just myself and the kids!!!!! I think part of my issue is I relax a little thinking I have the extra help, lol. But I have to set the alarm at least 30 minutes earlier when he is going somewhere with us!!!

Things here are still moving pretty slow. Still no orders :(

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2016 :  11:31:17 AM  Show Profile
Sabrina...I am also very OCD about being on Time. I am one of those people that thinks 10-15 minutes earlier is even better. And my husband is a right on time person and so is my oldest son, but the other two boys are always late. And my sweet little DIL is always 1-2 hours late. I swear she is going to be late for her own funeral...because she was 1 1/2 hours late to her own Wedding. She comes by it naturally as her dad is the same way. I Love them both to pieces but
even though they show up late...I still have to be there on time. Seriously drive myself and my husband crazy. LOL In fact I just took a "How OCD are You?" Test on FB and got 100% Need I say more! LOL In all fairness to my Step-daughter she is a compulsive talker and a disinterested listener. Again she has it in her Genes. The first time I met her biological sister (Jen is adopted) she came in the room talking and left the room talking 2 hours later and non of the rest of us said more than 2 words each. I had never witnessed anything like that in my life.
Jen (our daughter) is now with a guy who talks as much as she does...they live in Tennessee and
I often wonder how that is working out. LOL They must over talk each other a lot...I don't know!
~ I think your body and brain just caught up to each other and the stress from everything going on in your life caused a collision. I'm glad you recognize that you too need to rest and heal.

Shannon...no news yet today on how Abdullah is doing but I figure no news is good news. They
are keeping him extremely sedated so his brain and body can rest. I'm more worried about Krissie at the moment...she has had no sleep in a couple of days. She is a grade school teacher...I hope she can take enough time off to be with her husband. It always amazes me how God puts life into
perspective for us...we think we are having a difficult time...and then he shows you someone in
your own corner of the World who makes your problems look trivial in comparison.

OK...got all ready to walk this morning. Didn't even get out of my complex before it started raining and so I turned around. I wasn't going to walk in a cold rain on a cold morning. May have to go to the Fitness Center later. As you can all see...I'm avoiding that as long as I can.
I love walking out doors so much more; taking in God's Beauty and smelling fresh air is so
much better than walking on a Treadmill and looking at the back of someone else's head. LOL
Just not the same. And for those of you who know that I post pictures on face book of My Daily
Walk...that all stops once I have to move in-doors.

More Later My Lovelies...Have a Great Monday!

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2016 :  02:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Sabrina where are you moving to? I am glad that Dan is doing okay. Give is time and soon you will be also. Moving is always stressful. Since we moved from Florida last month, I really don't know what is the hardest. Packing up to go or unpacking to move in. I remember when I moved from Japan back to the states, the packing was slow. Getting our things once we arrived back seem to take forever. I hope things go easy and smoothly for you.

Peggy Ann I am like you, I prefer to be outside for any reason. I have not been in a gym for so long, but then again we only had rain to deal with in Florida and I could go outside almost every day. I know that here it will be so different, but hopefully with the snowshoes I still will be able to get outside a lot. I have tons of winter outer clothes to keep me warm that I should survive the coldness for at least an hour or so. They say the wind is the worst and living on a small hilltop will make it worse. We do have trees, but I don't know how that will help with the wind.

I seem to wake up early these days. It was only 5am. I am use to getting up around 8am. Then again I usually went to bed around midnight or at least by 2am. I am lucky if I make it past 9pm these days. We are having a man come in and bush hog our property today, and an electrician come in to look at the wiring. Busy, busy with something new everyday. I will be glad when I have finally unpacked the last box and put the contents in there place. Yesterday we drove about 90 minutes north of here to get our driver's license. Our town office is closed for a few days so we will have to wait until Thursday before I can get the cars register. Things sure move slower up here than what we are use to. Paul loves it, and in some ways I do too. It still will take some time to get use to. Well I had better get the coffee on and get dressed before the electrician comes. He is due in about an hour.
Have a wonderful day.
Becky
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2016 :  10:36:41 AM  Show Profile
Becky...I am not familiar with that term "Bush Hog" the property. What does that mean?
I think it would be a lot of fun to go Snowshoeing. Do you know how cold the average
winter temperatures are there and how much snow they usually get? Like I said before
I am not a snow person. I lived and dealt with it for the first 32 years of my life.
As a kid I loved it! As an Adult I got tired of snow for 5 months out of the year.
And my husband and I moved here to get away from it. I love how we get it here...just
for a week or two at the most. Here though since we live around two huge rivers and
The Columbia Gorge we get Ice Storms and those can be pretty dangerous.

Well, my walk was freezing this morning. I got out by 8 am. And Usually I start out with
a windbreaker and after 10-15 minutes I am stuffing it in the bottom of the pet stroller
because my body has started to heat up from the exercise. But today I wore it for the
entire 5 miles and my hands were still frozen when I was all finished. I think tomorrow
I will put on some fingerless gloves. By the weekend we are suppose to be back up in the
80's. Crazy weather!!!

Next Thursday (Sept 29th) My Bible Study Group is headed to the Oregon Coast for our
annual Beach Retreat. Last year all 18 went but this year only 12 can make it.
We are staying at the same house we stayed at last year and it sleeps 22 people...so
this year we will be able to spread out and really have extra space. This is a Retreat
for Relaxation only. We eat out, we shop, we play games, watch videos, we walk on the
Beach and we just enjoy a complete get away from everyone's busy lives. I can't wait!

Yesterday I did my first Christmas buying. I got a toy for Elijah and a toy for Savannah.
I feel so good...I don't usually start until October. I just found a couple cute things
on sale and had to get them before they were gone.

Judy and Teacher Tammy...I just finished the Book "The Bracelet"...I think you both would
really like it. I am now listening to the newest book by Rhys Bowen called "Crowned and Dangerous" I have thoroughly enjoyed Both series of her mystery/love story books.

OK my lovelies...have a Terrific Tuesday...and do at least one thing you enjoy.

love and hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2016 :  5:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
PeggyAnn, Ever since I have moved to Maine, I had to learn a whole new level of words. Bush Hog, from my understanding is just a bigger type of lawnmower that is able to mow down very tall grass, brush that is very thick, and some trees that are trying to sprout up on the property. The young man is out there now in the dark trying to finish up the project. The place really looks different now that the tall grasses is mowed down. I can't wait to see it in the morning.

Go to Top of Page

kymomma4
True Blue Farmgirl

516 Posts

RoDonna
Frankfort Kentucky
USA
516 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2016 :  09:06:44 AM  Show Profile
My goodness I have missed a lot since I've been gone the last few months. I've been doing so much canning and preparing for winter I've lost count of the days. I even forgot a swap. I'll need to make that up to my farmgirl sister. I sure didn't mean to do it. My mother was in the hospital for a while with an infection. They're still not sure how she got it. It was internal. Doctor says she's fine now. Go figure. I did all the tomato canning when that happened. Now I'm waiting on apples to make applesauce and apple butter then I will be done for the year. I think.

I'm back to doing direct sales. I got out of MK. I spent more time away from home that at home. Opposite of their motto. Plus, I was out a lot of money. So I'm back to Avon. It's been a lot easier on me as a homeschool mom. Plus, doing a lot of crafts to sell. I seriously need to consider an etsy store.

So how have y'all been? Lots of harvesting and canning going on? Since it's the first day of Fall I thought we'd celebrate with some pumpkin bread. Go on and have a slice. There's plenty for everyone.

RoDonna

Farmgirl #2361
"Blessed is the farmgirl who helps make the world a better and healthy place" ~ Me

"For she is clothed with dignity and strength and without fear of the future"-Proverbs 31:25
www.pinterest.com/kymomma4
www.facebook.com/onthehomestead

Edited by - kymomma4 on Sep 22 2016 09:08:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2016 :  5:06:11 PM  Show Profile
hey ladies,
It is Friday and I am enjoying the evening with a pot of tea. We had a whole school field trip today to a local literacy festival where the kids got to meet some of their favorite authors in person and my class also made some pretty cool green slime. That is saying a lot for me since I hate slimy things lol.

Peggy will have to check out that book. Just received Beth Moore's new novel. It kinda cracks me up cause it is long and has lots of words just like her bible studies. Cant wait to read it. But added your recommendation to my book list.

Hubby has been at a conference for his school this week. He will return home tomorrow. He is ready to be home he said. Small town life he misses and they are in the big city of Atlanta. I miss him too.

Harvest has begun here. It certainly hasn't felt like Fall yet. It was 89 degrees today. Talk about sweaty kids on a bus ride home. Need I say more.
well just popping in. Lord help us when Judy has her hands on her hips!!!!!!! :)

love and blessings,
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Purple Skies
http://mypurpleskies.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2016 :  6:32:53 PM  Show Profile
OK Gals, my stance is relaxed again. No 'hands on my hips'
... for now. Lol
Hi RoDonna, so good to see you again! I miss you Gals when you pull a disappearing act on us. hahaha
I'm looking forward to making some 'slow-cooker apple butter.' It smells so yummy in here when I do. I make it over night. Quick, easy, no fuss. I found the recipe on allrecipes.com a few years ago. It's been my go-to recipe ever since.
I make a batch of about 4 qts and it keeps in the fridge all year with no sealing, no molding and lasts me till the next year. I eat it mostly in my plain Greek yogurt and the occasional piece of bread. YUM!!!
Peg, you didn't say HOW cold it got the other morning when you took your walk. Knowing you it was still in the 50's. Right? THAT'S just a pleasant, t-shirt, fall day for us here in the NE! Hahaha (gotta pick on you, don't ya know?)
Rebecca, moving from Florida to Maine is SUCH a big endeavor. I can't wait to read how you like it this winter. I love the snow and cold. I get that from my Mama. She loved it too! Since I can't be in the sun at all because of some weird, quirky body chemistry of mine, colder and cloudier... all the better!
K porch-buds! Sleep tight!
Love Yuns!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2016 :  03:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Judy I guess I better never go AWOL is I don't want you coming after me. LOL. I have only made mango sauce a few years back when a neighbor of mine gave me quite a lot of mangos. I don't remember where I found the recipe, but it turned out okay. I am hoping next year to do a lot of canning. I think I have about 4 books on the subject. I do have all the equipment necessary, so I need only the know how. I have about 10 apple trees on the property. At least that is how many I have counted so far. Paul seems to think we may have a couple more at the back of the property. One of the trees I just learned is crap apples. Anyone know how what to do with them. A neighbor said to wait until the first frost before picking them as that will improve their flavor. The tree is loaded. We moved here to late for the other trees, but I plan on pruning them and hopefully they will produce for me next year. I love apple butter and Paul wants me to learn how to make apple pie. I can make the filling, its the crust that has me stumped. I just never seem to master the recipe. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Moving from Florida to Maine took over 4 years to decide on. I am looking for winter and the first white Christmas in over 40 years.
How We Came To Maine! I for over a year had this dream. In the dream I was lost and could not find my way home. No matter what I tried I was still lost. Paul and I knew that we did not what to live the remainder of our lives in Florida, so I began a research for a new place for us. I centered on the states that did not tax Social Security as Paul would be retiring soon. I had the search narrowed down to 7 states of which Maine was one of them. The month we chose Maine, I had just finished my research on the state. I was really surprised at the number of farms for sale. The night before we chose, I had the dream again. Only this time, a lady approached me and asked if she could help. I replied that I just wanted to go home, but I don't know how to find my way home. She said I will be right back. When she came back, she said all I have to do is turn left. I sat back down on the bench and knew how to find my way home. In the morning, I told Paul about the dream again, but this time I said I knew how to find my way home. He asked me where home was, and I said I don't know, but I will when I hear it. I then proceed to tell him about my research findings on Maine. His response was "Why don't we move to Maine"? The minute he said it, I knew that was home. So I started a new research project on the different counties of Maine to find which was suited for us. It led me to Houlton/Linneus and then to this house. The house is everything we both wanted. It is an 1865 farmhouse sitting on 17.1 acres, with an apple orchard, blackberries, raspberries, and pine trees. It has everything we wanted and then some. So that is how we came to Maine and this house. So I am home, have my farm and I figure that in about 5 years we will have all the animals, the garden, settled in and become one within our new community. We have only lived here in the house for 24 days, but it feels longer. Almost like we have lived here for years.
The one question I get all the time, when they find out we moved from Florida is "Have you ever experienced a Maine winter?" They still think that after one winter we will move back to Florida. What they do not realize is home is forever and you will love the good with the bad. God lead us here, and we both believe that this is where we are meant to be here.

That's my story.

It's Saturday morning, another beautiful day on the farm, and preparing for winter's storms that are just around the corner. When I finally get moved in and have unpacked the last box, I will make something special to bring to the porch. Until then, Have a beautiful day!
Becky

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2016 :  11:46:40 AM  Show Profile
Catching up with everyone has given me a case of the giggles! I sometimes forget that there's a lot of country stuff that other folks don't know about. I'm not making fun of anyone - please don't think that. Even here in Ohio in our drafty old house we put plastic on the windows and we use small square bales of straw around the foundations. And we use a brush hog on the paths in the woods to make trucking fire wood easier. Just part of everyday life - not something I thought others didn't know about. But, there's a lot of questions people ask me about cows that I thought was common knowledge too since I grew up with them :)

It's been pretty busy here. Friday the cows got there pedicures - bet you didn't know that happened!! LOL!! It's not nearly as relaxing for cows as it is for us. It's still been hot here, but I think that cold weather Peggy had is on it's way. I'm so ready for fall weather.

Peggy - loved the bracelet story. I think it would be a great book! Praying for your friends. What a difficult thing for everyone to deal with especially so young!

Tammy - Glad to hear the tornadoes avoided your area. Scary! There's been a couple near hear over the years. They sure can be devastating!

Becky - SO excited for you. Praying you beat the winter!

Sabrina and Shannon - praying your moves go smoothly.

Judy - I'm glad you're relaxed now LOL!! I can picture you with your hands on your hips. Praying for Dave.

I'm not trying to leave anyone out, but I'm afraid if I go back a page I'll loose my post. Hope everyone is having a great weekend. I'm off to make a Bavarian apple torte for hubby:)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2016 :  12:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
You can't step away for a minute and the devil strikes havoc on everyone. He never wins so he should go somewhere else.

Peggy, praying for your friends. Very sad but let this test become a testimony! God is in control!
Wish I was going on retreat with you!
TLT, whew! God is so good.

Judy, LoL! That covers the hands on hips! What church today? Please tell.

Becky, so exciting to have all those fruit trees and bushes. Next year you'll be canning 24/7! Just think how warm and cozy you'll be this winter when all your prep is done. We used to have a wood stove and I loved to cook on it and the dogs loved to lay in front of it until they were panting! LOL! It was the warmest heat we ever had. Just to old now for all the work. Keep us posted as your journey walks forward.

Sabrina and Shannon, I'm exhausted listening to both of your moving escapades. Now I know I'm old!

Blessings and wonderful Sonday!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2016 :  7:12:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi Gals! Happy, Blessed SonDay to you all. Well, today I went to a United Methodist church here in town. It's a big old church that was half full. That's pretty good. I thought I'd see a gal that use to work for my chiropractor. She and her family use to go there years ago. But I didn't see her. But I did see a pharmacist I use to work with at Rite Aid for about 3 years. We always worked well together because of our faith in God. We chatted for awhile and he introduced me to the pastor and then we chatted while my friend tended to some other matters. I guess the church is in transition. That pastor is leaving at the end of the year. It's so hard on a church when they lose their pastor or anyone really that they rely heavily on. Plus the old church is getting ready to get a facelift out in front. That will be interesting to watch. The message was good and the music was good. All in all a good experience. Again, only one person said hi, but they don't know me. My friend told me to tell the pastor about it. That felt weird, like I was a tattle-tale. Pastor said, "If you come about 3 times in a row, they will think, hmmm, that person has come a few times now, I should go say hello!" Otherwise they don't open up to you. Hmmm...ooookay!
It's so much fun going to different churches. It's hard to wait until the next Sunday! *giggle*
Heather... you say you are still having hot weather down there. That's weird. It was around 60 when I got up this morning. Hope you get some of that soon.

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2016 :  08:24:51 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning My Porchies...

Sorry about being MIA for a few days...but hey The Porch has been so busy...nobody had time to miss me anyway.
It has just been a bit crazy around here. Husband going to this Dr. and that Dr. Last week he only had 1 day without
an Appointment. We finally had the appointment with the Geriatric Psychiatrist on Friday. This is the guy who is so
busy it took 2 months to get back in to see him. And in that two months he never had a cancelation so we could get
in to see him sooner. We were #1 on the list if he got one...but this guy is so good at his job and is so hard to get
to see that nobody cancels. I learned my husbands cognitive levels are much better than we thought. Which is good I
guess. Now I just want to know WHY? he is acting like he has dementia when he doesn't. All I can figure out is his
depression is so great that he finds it hard to concentrate and give his full attention to things. He has been having
mini-strokes for 8 years and the last 2-3 years he gets the shakes so bad at times he can't get the fork to his mouth
when he eats without spilling the food. They have him on some kind of meds for that and he does do better but the Dr.
said that the Strokes can cause Parkinson's Disease. Great! Anyway, the Dr. had wanted to see me so I could ask any
questions I might have but we will never see him again. He usually only sees a patient once and then gives their Primary
Care Dr.'s his evaluation and recommendation. So, it was an informative session but also confusing to me. ~ My other reason
for being MIA is our Family Friend who had the stroke. He is not going to make it. Unless God does a Miracle today...they
will probably take him off life support tonight. His young wife is just devastated. I think she is in her mid 30's.
The really sad thing for me is to watch the family dynamics in all of this. Abdallah (our friend who had the stroke) is a
Christian. His Mother is also but the rest of the family adhere to their Muslim Faith or practice no religious beliefs.
The wife is a Christian and all her side of the Family are Christians. We love and care about all the Family...they are very
nice people but their way of dealing with Abdallah NOT making it is pitting Christian Faith against Muslim Faith. Kris
being a Christian wants to know that she is handling all this as God would want her too. Her FIL who is devout Muslim wants
Kris to participate in trying these religious things his Muslim Prophet wants him to try...and she refuses to do that. The
FIL did all this mumbo-jumbo basicly telling his Son to get up from his bed and walk in the name of Allah and nothing
happened. So he kept telling Kris, "I don't know why it isn't working I must be doing something wrong!" So, it has all been
very straining on Kris. Everyone knows that Abdallah isn't going to pull through this except Abdallah's Mom. The FIL doesn't
want to tell her until the last minute. So...I spent Saturday night trying to prepare Gina (the Mom) in the gentlest way I
could...telling her that God was going to heal Abdallah one way or the other. Either he was going to heal him in that
Hospital Bed or He was going to take him home and heal him with the ultimate healing. As any Mother would...she is holding
out for the Miracle that God will heal him now. But at least our conversation was the only honest one she was having under
the circumstances. When my son and I walked into ICU to see Abdallah it didn't even feel like his Spirit was there anymore.
It was like looking at an empty shell. Even though when I held his hand and rubbed his arm...and his body was warm...it was
just a body. Does that make sense? Though we are ALL going to miss him and Kris doesn't want to be a Widow...all of us who
are Christians feel like he is already gone...just the machines are keeping his body going. I will probably be up there again
tonight...as I am assuming The Family will request he be taken off Life support tonight. The 4th Neurosurgeon wanted them to
give Abdallah 2 more days and today will be day 4.

OK...onto something else!

Judy...it was in the high 40's when I walked the other morning. Brrr! If I'm COLD...you know it's cold...since I am always too
warm and sweating! My walking is paying off though because over the weekend I finally got tired of my baggy pants and went and
bought a couple pairs of new ones and I had gone down two pant sizes!! Woot! Woot! I'm happy about that. ~ I had to laugh at
your Church experience yesterday...with people not greeting you. As I have mentioned before we have gone to several Mega Churches
over the last 15 years and after having come out of a small church where everyone knows everyone it was hard to get use to the
fact that the last Church was so big that even after attending for 8 years you were still always treated like it was your firsts
Sunday there. People would say, "Oh, I'm so glad that you came to visit today!" I found it amusing and my husband hates it.
He has found a Church he wants to attend but I don't. It is a split off from the small Church we use to attend and I don't wish
to go back to that group at all. I don't want to go to a different Church than my husband but I will if he keeps going to this
same Church. I have found two Churches I plan to try out after I get back from Retreat. So Judy...I guess we can pray for each
other to find a good Church Home.

Darlene...Wish you could go to Retreat with me too!!! How fun that would be! I am so looking forward to heading to the Beach on
Thursday Morning. I have my little 3 yr. grandson coming for our play date today instead of Wed. As I will need to be doing laundry
and packing on Wed. this week. Neither one of us want to miss out on our weekly play-date! Yesterday it was in the mid 80's here and
today we might even hit 90. Just when I switched from Summer Cloths to Fall/Winter Clothes...we get Summer back for a few days. LOL
Yesterday my youngest son and family and I went to the Farmers Market and wandered around there for an hour and all we each bought
was flowers!!! Such a great buy on beautiful Bouquets there...from $7.00 to $10.00. Then we went to a new Antique Store in town and
it was ridiculously over priced. So, scratch that place off our list of fun places to shop. ~ So glad that you are back on The Porch
Darlene!!! I had really missed you!!

Heather...yes, you have to remember that we have a Bunch of Farmgirl Wanna-be's on The Porch...but just a few of you Authentic
Farmgirls. So, one must Bushwhack with a Bush Hog huh? I always wondered where that term Bushwhack came from...now I know. So,
one really can teach an old dog new tricks...I'm living proof. LOL

Teacher Tammy...My Book Club had taken the Summer off as we could not agree on a book to read together....but now we are back
together and we are listening to Beth Moore's Novel as our first book. It is totally not what I expected by the title of it. I
thought it was going to be a Historical Fiction piece on Silas. LOL Not a modern day novel. But I am still enjoying it. You
know Beth Moore...you really didn't expect a short Novel from her now did you??? LOL She is like me...she loves to talk and teach
and neither one of us know how to do that with the brevity of Max Lucado. We are both Long-winded Ladies. So, let me know what
you think of the book when you are finished.

Becky...I remember on MJF when you first started your hunt for property and were beginning your research on different locations.
That is why I think it is so fun...now that you are settling in...that we get to pick back up on your Story/Adventure. I love
you telling us about the dreams and your search for "HOME"! Home is where your HEART IS...and I can tell by what you share that
you found it. I think that is just the most amazing Story and I'm glad we get to go through your first Winter with you and then
all the following seasons too. I feel like I'm re-reading "Little House on The Prairie" or something. So, please keep sharing as
we all love an Adventure! Well, some of us more than others! LOL

OK...I have written another Novel in this here post. So, I think I am going to head back to bed for a little bit before my grandson
comes. I plan to put my walk off until tonight. I need more sleep than 4 1/2 hours.

More Later Girls...Have an Awesome Monday!

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page