Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Gathered Up
 Farmgirls on the Loose -Laura Ingalls Wilder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Farmgirls on the Loose -Laura Ingalls Wilder Next Topic  

Wende
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

WENDE
Kansas City Missouri
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  4:56:30 PM  Show Profile
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few months ago we tossed around the idea of a Prairie Pilgramage to the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museums and Homesites. Well, after much consideration and cabin fever) I have been looking into this project.

This will require some feedback from anyone interested.

This will be a ZIG ZAG across the prairie states. The zig and the zag are important for travel/convoy.

This is how the trail rendezvous will work. Anyone is invited to join the trail at anytime. Reservations must be made in advance!! No exceptions for this. You will be responsible for getting to and from point A to point B to point C ETC.
You will be responsible for all of your own expenses, gas, etc.
For those who do not have campers or tents , hotels/motels will be suggested in close proximity. There maybe a bus tour involved on some of the sites.

We MUST plan "giving projects" along the way. We will have this figured out before the tour. Donations such as clothing, food pantries, etc. Something to give back to the community.

There are 6 designated sites we will be seeing. There will scheduled stops along the way for additonal museums and parks. This need to be planned as a group as well.

Like mentioned before.. anyone can join and drop out at anytime. You must decide how much of the tour you can do or want to do.This will be a great opportunity to meet up with pen pals, blog pals, family ( if you wish) and to meet new friends and farm sisters.

Each chapter is welcome to plan a night of activites, food and fun.
There will be pre-announced contests along the way.
In De Smet,SD there is a scavenger hunt with a pre-purchased it from the museum. We can have a board game night, craft night, learn a new craft night and planned pot lucks etc.

Starting in De Smet, SD to Walnut Grove, MN to Pepin WI, to Burr Oak, IA to Independece, KS and finally to Mansfield, MO.
I know that Pepin is the birthplace, but for traveling sake this will help with the zig zag.

We will try to make the best recommendations for everything from road travel, restaurants, camping and hotels.

There will be a phone tree for everyone on the trail so we do not lose anyone. There will also be waivers and contact information to be filled out by everyone. Safety first.

Anyone interested in the idea please contact me as soon as possible so we can start a blog site and those not able to join us can read about our travels and enjoy the photos as if they were eating dust on the trail with us.

The month of June comes to mind. It is before it gets to hot and after the rains. July is the Farm Fair at Mary Janes Farm do not want to miss that.

Thanks.

WENDE

You know your a Farm Girl when...

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  06:19:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh how I would love to do this! I just don't know about getting away! I hope you have a good following, and boy do I wish I lived out further West!!!

Kelly
Farmgirl #238

May your bobbin always be full...
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  4:33:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks! I wish I could!
Go to Top of Page

Firefly276
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Donna
Rose Hill KS
USA
3 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  09:42:32 AM  Show Profile
I know we are past the deadline, but my sister and I would like to join you in Independence through the end of the tour. How can we get more information? Thanks for your help

Donna(#276) and Susan(#277)
firefly276@cox.net
Go to Top of Page

Firefly276
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Donna
Rose Hill KS
USA
3 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  10:22:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi again Wende,

I don't think my first message went through, so I'll try again. How many charms and quilt squares do we need for the swap? Looking forward to meeting you all in Independence -

Donna
Firefly Farm

Firefly276
Sister #276
Firefly Farm

Everyone needs a little twinkle in her life!
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  04:55:42 AM  Show Profile
goodness, i would of LOVED to do this! little house is my favorite show! someday i must do it!
connie

www.NatureMaiden.com -Handcrafted Bath & Body Products that I make myself- including soaps, salves, lotion bars, lip balms, natural deodorants, body sprays, hydrosols, salt scrubs, and MUCH more!

http://naturemaidenbathbodyproduct.blogspot.com/(Business Blog)

http://flowerchild-lifeinthegarden.blogspot.com/(Personal blog)

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  1:24:55 PM  Show Profile
Absolutely do it Connie! I live in Minnesota and I went with Wende too. It was fabulous. These places all had something special about them. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
  Gathered Up: Previous Topic Farmgirls on the Loose -Laura Ingalls Wilder Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page