MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  12:35:35 PM  Show Profile
I love to spin, relaxing and rewarding. Who are the other spinners and so any of you weave?

Gratefully living on the "fat of the land".

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  11:35:15 PM  Show Profile
I spin but don't weave much. Not because I don't want to, just haven't learned much besides navajo weaving, which I do a little. I have a small loom to work on and do that some. I knit with my handspun yarn though.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  12:21:12 AM  Show Profile
I've got my spinning wheel set up in my new living room but haven't taken the time to sit down and actually spin -- still busy unpacking boxes from the move! Hope to have some time this summer...

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  04:21:41 AM  Show Profile
I am a newbie at both spinning and weaving, but am trying to learn both. I have a Kromski Minstrel spinning wheel and a Kromski rigid heddle loom. I made a table runner on the loom with a boucle yarn, and it came out pretty good for the first try. I don't think I had the warp wound/tied tight enough because it was a little uneven. The yarn off my spinning wheel isn't knitting quality yet - but I'm working at it! Any suggestions ladies?

Thanks!
Luanne
beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Kerbear
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Kerry
Middle Tennessee
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  04:52:55 AM  Show Profile
I am a beginner weaver, and I am really enjoying it. My mother-in-law who is a fantastic weaver got me started. I have a 20" rigid heddle loom and right now I am trying to get the tension right to begin making a bag. My mother-in-law and I do not live close together but she has been teaching me via Skype. Its worked really well for us!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  11:59:39 AM  Show Profile
What are your favorite fibres for spinning?

Gratefully living on the "fat of the land".
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  10:33:22 PM  Show Profile
I love to spin Icelandic wool from my two little ewes. Especially when separated into tog and thel (a soft undercoat and a longer coarser outer coat that separate easily) I love to spin thel...soft soft soft..like butter!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  4:11:47 PM  Show Profile
I have been weaving for 23 years - since I was 20. I have a 4 harness floor loom, two rigid heddle looms and an inkle loom. I use the floor loom the most. I also crochet and embroider. Have done a tiny bit of spinning over the years, but have not invested the time and money to take on that new hobby. If any of you weavers are not members of a local guild, find one and join it as soon as possible. It's the best resourse for inspiration, education and getting to know some of the coolest people in your community that you never met.

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  04:25:55 AM  Show Profile
I have Kromski rigid heddle loom, and have only used it to weave placemats, etc. so far with yarn. I really wanted to make a rag rug, but was told I couldn't do that on a rigid heddle loom. Can anyone tell me why? As long as the fabric strips are narrow enough to fit on the shuttle I don't understand what difference it would make.

Thanks!
Luanne
beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  1:15:57 PM  Show Profile
I am in the process to learn to spin. I have a merino sheep and 2 nigora goats so I can eventually spin my own. I will get there!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  01:22:44 AM  Show Profile
I have been a spinner since 1972. i have done very little weaving. I have a sheep farm so do alot of spinning and knitting. I belong to 2 spinning groups in my area.

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From Sheep to Handspun."
http://mountainmorningfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LilyOH
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Lily
Wooster Ohio
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  01:59:38 AM  Show Profile
. Sorry posted blank first. Am not used to computers. I am lily in Ohio and new to spinning but wanted to say I identify with your post as I just am in the middle of a move also and have my wheel set up in my LR too, longing to use it. Am in Wooster Ohio home to Great Lakes FiberFestival this Memorial Day weekend. It will be my first time at this festival. (visitor) just fulfilling my longtime dream of moving back to my hometown from 30 years in NJ. Had 2 Angora rabbits in past with idea to spin from them but of course what planet was I on???! They were dollbabies though.

quote:
Originally posted by brightmeadow

I've got my spinning wheel set up in my new living room but haven't taken the time to sit down and actually spin -- still busy unpacking boxes from the move! Hope to have some time this summer...

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

If you only gaze uphill you forget how far you've come

Edited by - LilyOH on Feb 13 2010 02:08:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  09:13:19 AM  Show Profile
Luanne,
The reason that you "shouldn't" weave a rag rug on a rigid heddle loom is that for rugs, you really need to be able to beat the weft in very hard. It takes a strong loom and a very firm beat. However, I would encourage you to try it out and just expect a loose, soft weave. I met a gal who wove rag rugs on a rigid heddle. They were very nice and beautiful, but not very sturdy rugs. As long as you know to expect that, you won't be dissapointed. I read advice long ago that you should not follow weaving "rules". Experiment and play. YOu may not always get what you wanted, but you will always get something interesting and you will have learned along the way.
Good luck and have fun.

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  8:15:25 PM  Show Profile
I have been spinning for 8 years. I have a couple of traditional wheels from ashford.
I spin the wool that came from our sheep we use to have. We had Romney, Romney crosses and Shetland. The last girl passed away last year. We had one left and my friend has her now to keep her only sheep company. Still have about 20 fleeces in the basement. We still have dairy goats but haven't decided to get sheep again. Could not find someone to shear and it was killing my back to do it myself. I do miss the old girls that passed. They were my true woolie fur babies.

I Think the Romney was my favorite and the crosses for spinning. They have such luster to their wool.They were also very sweet. I do have a loom but haven't finished my first rug yet. So busy I need to get back to it.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

LilyOH
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Lily
Wooster Ohio
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  11:54:45 PM  Show Profile
I was in an antique shop in Millersburg Ohio where they are weaving a lot of rag rugs. Some on flat looms which I didn't take in details of but what I found impressive was their huge wagon wheel loom for weaving rag rugs. Made me think of pioneer women.

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  06:57:16 AM  Show Profile
I always wanted to go to Millersburg. Someone I know told me they have a big shop that sells looms and for an extra cost will even warp them for you. I do not like warping looms. My husband spent alot of time warping ours the first time. Its very tedious work.
Lily I see you are in Wooster Ohio. I have been their a few times. I used to live in around the Morthgate Mall area or Colrain Township. Then we ended up buying land out in Adams County Ohio. Its at the foothills of Appalacia. I live on pretty hilly terrain. Welcome to MaryJanes!

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  07:30:58 AM  Show Profile
I know you are new to the forum but you will see little icons next the the date at the top of your post. I think the 3rd icon lets you edit your reply. Just click on it and remove your number.

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

LilyOH
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Lily
Wooster Ohio
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  5:55:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks. Done!!

Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  10:56:42 AM  Show Profile
This is so inspiring..I've had a Schacht rigid heddle for several years and have only made few things...this inspires me to dust it off and get going again...thanks everyone!

Debbie

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  9:22:17 PM  Show Profile
I've been spinning and weaving since I was 16, now 50 so 34 years? I don't weave much anymore, moved too many times to try to cart around a floor loom, but kept my table loom till a few years ago. I mostly knit and crochet with the yarn now. Plus I like the dimension knitting gives.
Every year at our local fair there is a textile, fiber arts display (a large building) and I drool my way thru it.I so admire people who have been able to do it for a living. I tried too but couldn't live on the low income, so went into landscaping instead. Both creative, textural and physical.
I usually buy a fleece every year and when it gets cold and rainy I want to spin and knit.
Katie
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  11:12:39 AM  Show Profile
I spin and weave. Not great at it but sure do enjoy it

atkinst2
Go to Top of Page

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  10:20:35 AM  Show Profile
I've been a spinner and weaver for many years and love it!! I do a lot less weaving now (since I sold my Louet 56", 8 harness loom and my 2 other looms too) - but I still do small projects on homemade looms.

I'm currently spinning (on a Louet S-10) a corriedale, black fleece. I try to buy several full fleeces a year and spin them. I also love spinning silk, mohair, llama, alpaca and a few other lovely fibers.

Really happy to see such a large group of spinners and weavers on here!!

I think spinning is so relaxing! I taught myself to spin so that I'd have something to do while I breast fed. I could spin and feed and both of us relaxed with the sound, movement and the rhythm. (always have been a multi tasker :)
Go to Top of Page

weaverbird
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Anne
Virginia Beach Virginia
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  3:48:09 PM  Show Profile
I've been spinning about two years and have a Lendrum wheel. I'm getting ready to ply a border leceister/kid mohair blend I've spun, and thinking of knitting it into a shawl. Currently learning to weave from my spinning teacher, and I've just started measuring yarn onto the warping board. It makes me cross-eyed!
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  7:05:53 PM  Show Profile
I agree with you Anne, I just had my first lesson on the warping board. I just kept
winding, thank goodness the person who owned the board before had the for thought
to put an arrow on it. I have homework. I have to get all my threads through the
heddles. I better get busy because class is Friday. But I LOVE it.
Go to Top of Page

weaverbird
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Anne
Virginia Beach Virginia
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  09:54:20 AM  Show Profile
Oooh, I haven't dealt with the heddles yet. I think that will be during tonight's class. Good luck on Friday!
Go to Top of Page

soleil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Linda
Butternut WI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  10:17:34 AM  Show Profile
Glad to find you. I'm a spinner and weaver-would-love-to-be! I've been spinning and doing the occasional dyeing for about 30 years. I love it.

I've had a two harness rug loom waiting very lonely in the basement for almost 20 years. Used it our previous home but the movers simply cut the warp all the way across so it's a big nasty mess. It was warped when I got it. Maybe one day when my to-do list has some room I'll sit and look at it!

I do some knitting with the yarn I spin but mostly I just "collect" it.

Anyway, nice connecting with farmsisters who have common interests. : )

Blessed be,*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ * soleil

Even as we dream, we begin to succeed...even as we succeed, we begin to dream again.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Spinners and Weavers Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page