Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 Lemon Balm Works Wonders for Depression
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Lemon Balm Works Wonders for Depression Next Topic
Page: of 2

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  12:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Holly, I got my lemon balm at Whole Foods. A great online source for herbs is mountainroseherbs.com. They have an extensive list of herbs to order in small amounts or in bulk, many grown organically. I never did use the tincture I made. I left home for the summer and it got neglected, so I threw it away. I really want to make more, now that I'm legally able to buy the vodka myself, lol! I've been pretty good, depression wise, so far this winter. I do get a little down when the sun doesn't shine for days and days. I think I was meant to be a plant, getting my energy from the sun! hehe!

Love and hugs,
Laura

http://thecraftycatgirl.blogspot.com
"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank
Go to Top of Page

TNfarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Joni
Sparta TN
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  04:18:34 AM  Show Profile
I am going to check at the local natural health food store for some lemon balm. Would this help with that 3:00 crash I get every day? I get up about 5ish each morning and then about 3:00 I feel a crash coming on. I need a pick me up to take me til at least 7:00 that way I can get the dinner dishes done and then off to bed again.

Painted Springs Farm
"Bought the Farm"
Living the good life in TN.
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  11:29:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jo! Gals! - The darker the final product the better in my experience - I had one batch with a cheaper Vodka come out very light and I did not like it. Seems to me you did okay. I let the leaves out on the stove top a few days in a bowl with plenty of air circulation and then just lighly crumble them.
Do tell where my recipe ended up, I have not seen it hehehe, am I a celebrity?
Have missed you all terribly! But here I am again!

Blessed Be
Kathy of the Enchanted Wood

http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  07:24:49 AM  Show Profile
Kathy,

You are indeed a celebrity -- the final recipe page of the Farmgirl Connection cookbook contains the Lemon Balm Tincture recipe. Diane at "DaisyFarm" graciously gave me shared billing for contributing the recipe - did you order one from DaisyFarm?

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Jan 08 2007 04:19:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  09:11:16 AM  Show Profile
Joni,

You have described my usual routine; up early, full day at the job, two-plus hours roundtrip commute, home just in time to fix dinner, do the dishes, pack lunches and then falling apart/asleep on the couch until bedtime.

I take my tincture first thing in the morning while waiting for coffee to brew.
I am not informed enough to answer your question about whether or not Lemon Balm would work for you as an afternoon "pick-me-up" but since I keep the same hours as you, this is what I have found helps me (I want to know more as well, so maybe we can get some help from our FarmGirl Gal-pals)...

1. Sleep, quantity AND quality.
Quantity - I am up at 4:30 during the week so I have learned that I absolutely have to be wound down, in bed and ready to drift off by 9:30; I should get to bed earlier than that but I refuse to give up that much of my evening. My goal is to be asleep by 10pm, in order to have 6 1/2 hours sleep, which still isn't probably enough.
Quality - do you sleep soundly; sleep with a snorer; wake up yourself due to snoring, full bladder, have to tend to babies or incontinent dogs, puppies,etc. during the night?
Solid blocks of uninterrupted sleep is so important.
2. Balanced diet; not just nutrition but timing is key. Make sure you aren't "crashing" in the afternoon after a heavy lunch especially if you uusally skip breakfast; that sort of thing. Also, the sugar fix in the afteoon probably does not help; learn about snacks that will fuel you through these hours, to get you through dinner and cleanup, and evening events/chores.
3. Naps - can you take 20-30 minutes somewhere in the early afternoon to powernap - this works for some, not for all.
4. Exercise. I do find that when I exercise regularly, even walking on a schedule, improves my overall stamina and keeps me from falling asleep during prime time TV hours. Napping that late in the evening just disrupts your nightly sleep so try not to do that. Go to bed earlier if you have to; shave time/tasks off of your morning routine to get another 15-30 minutes of sleep.

Try just one or two of these things and it should make a difference. Also, and obviously you will have considered your current state of health; current medical physical and bloodwork, etc. etc. etc.

Hope some of this this helps, and I will look forward to reading any other tips from our farmgirl gurus!any othe tops

Jo

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Jan 08 2007 04:16:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  12:05:26 PM  Show Profile
I wanted to resurrect this thread, as I am particularly fond of Lemon Balm and incidentlally, am ready to decant my first batch of Lemon Balm Tincture for this season. Anyone interested in a sample?

Question #1 for Enchanted WoodsGirl: Kathy, did you ever get a copy of the FarmGirl Cookbook with your recipe for Lemon Balm TIncture? If not, I think there is discussion of a second printing. I was very glad to get the sample back from you of YOUR Lemon Balm Tincture, as my own supply from last year ran out in April! I'll finish up the bottle you gave me and then start in with my own tincture in a couple of weeks.

Question #2 for OregonGal: Chris, did the Lemon Balm plant cutting I sent you earlier this year survive after all, or finally succumb to the cold weather? I have a couple of other baby plants coming along that might survive another transport now that warm weather is here. Just let me know.

Wish I had time to work with my herbs all day...

Jo

Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  5:23:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jo! Nope, I never did get a copy of the book but put my name on the list. I hope you like the tincture I sent you. I am getting ready to make more salves and balms and more lemon balm tincture. I want to set up a website to see my items - Also want to start putting ads in the country magazines like backcountry or woods forget what it is called, countryside and a few others. I am hoping to meet some local women with the same mindset as me to help me turn my place into a successful place to teach classes and women wonderful herbal and other nature related topics and kinda have an organic/retreat similar to the beginnings of Blessed Maine Herb Farm. Emmmmm - I will be emailing you for cordial instructions as I will have a huge bumper crop of wineberries this year - Have I ever told you about the book on kitchen cordials? If not remind me to.
Husband has been sick, not sure if it is his heart and the dr is suggesting laser ablation surgery for his AFib but it is a big deal procedure and we want to learn more. This has been a tough year for us so far.

Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  7:20:38 PM  Show Profile
I hope your husband will be all right, Kathy. I haven't posted in months, but occasionally I lurk. I'd like to know about the kitchen cordials! I think your idea for teaching classes on herbs sounds great - I'd love to have something like that here. 'Course, I'm sure there is something here - Bay Area - about 10 million people. I'm sure there's something!
Marlene
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  9:53:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the kind words Marlene - don't under estimate the need for classes in your area. I really feel like herbs have been my calling most of my life and I also feel that it is something I would be good at - the lifestyle suits me. I don't have much land here, just a little shy of an acre, but if I utilize it correctly, I am sure I could make the most of it. All of what I want to do in my life is a learning process and I so want to follow my dreams. We did look in upstate NY for a home but in the meantime my husband has had these nagging health problems so for now I will just make the most of what I have here.
I will post the name and author of the book for you in the morning. Take a look at the site www.storeybooks.com and you may find it there, I do believe it is called Kitchen Cordials. By the way, Jo makes a wonderful berry cordial - I do believe I have a tiny bit left in the kitchen

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  06:22:22 AM  Show Profile
Kathy: Thanks so much for the compliment on my berry cordial!

I am sorry to hear of your DH's health problems, and I hope there will be a speedy and successful resolution for that soon.

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  10:16:17 AM  Show Profile
Jo, I would love to try a sample!! Maybe you can email me. Thanks, Nance
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  11:21:30 AM  Show Profile
Sure Nancy, you have a local address in Virginia, right? I will email you...

Jo

Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  1:17:26 PM  Show Profile
Jo,
Yes! Indeed it did and is doing just dandy, and thank you ever so much for it. Its about a foot tall
and has 5 or 6 branches. I'll have to look back here and see how much is needed
to make a tincture....for sure i have enough for some tea now at least. Thanks again for it.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  10:12:09 AM  Show Profile
Yay...it's such a hardy little plant, and I am very glad that you are enjoying it! Thanks for letting me know! Regarding the recipe; it is on the last page of the Farmgirl Connection book if you bought one.

If not, do what I did; cut and pasted Kathy's original instructions into a Word document and printed it out for myself.

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2007 :  10:38:47 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, I just ordered another bottle of your Lemon Balm Tincture. I love it!
Thanks, Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2007 :  7:07:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Cheryl - I will get it out in the mail to you tomorrow. I will be making Love Your Breasts Salve this week too!
Blessed be,

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2007 :  05:48:59 AM  Show Profile
Oh Kathy, do start a new thread telling us about the salve!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2007 :  12:08:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jo! Yes, I will let you know about the breast salve. It will have all things good for the breasts in it: lavender infused olive oil, also violet (leaves and flower) oil- all things that help to keep our breasts healthy. If you have not had a chance - get a copy of the Susun Weed book Breast Cancer? Breast Health! - it is filled with such great information.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Lemon Balm Works Wonders for Depression Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page