willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  7:26:16 PM  Show Profile
I am on a strict no carb diet. I am sick of salad and grilled chicken. Anyone have any suggestions of hearty meals i can make with no carbs that arent to labor intensive?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  11:40:55 AM  Show Profile
How strict do you mean?

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  12:19:32 PM  Show Profile
Sounds tough!!! Hearty would be hard to come by- but here are some other ideas!

How about making egg salad or tuna salad and dipping with cucumber slices, carrot sticks, celery, etc? Adding olives as garnish / toppings/ flavoring will add calories, too. Make a roast of some kind in the crock pot and shred it up - serve over a bed of cooked veggies that meet the carb " rule". Eggplant can be made very tasty if you like that- it soaks up all kinds of flavors and it is dense, for a carb- like texture. Summer squash can seem carb-y , too, and has the texture to hold up to many recipes.
Eggs can be served up so many ways- devilled, hard boiled in a salad, scrambled with veggies or made into an omlet.
You did not mention cheese. Is cheese ok? Dairy?
I have allergies, etc, and I add calories by adding extra olive oil or butter to things.
What about nuts? There are all kinds of dips and spreads that can be made with seeds and nuts, for people on special diets.
Are legumes too high carb? Will you be on this diet forever, or to correct a concern on the short term? I can likely come up with some new ideas with a little more info.
~ Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

coconutcakes
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Emily
Summerfield NC
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  12:44:51 PM  Show Profile
I will have to think about this some more, but right off, stuff like grilled or broiled shrimp kebabs with veggies would be good. . . I once had a cold shrimp/cucumber salad (a very light, non-creamy - more vinegar-like dressing was used).

"After a long period abroad nothing could make me more homesick or emotional than an American magazine ad of a luscious layer cake, except one, and that was a pictured lemon pie." Irma Rombauer, Joy of Cooking (1943)
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  2:02:07 PM  Show Profile
Bake your chicken breasts with a cup of Salsa over it in a covered dish on 350 degrees for 45 minutes. If you can have cheese, sprinkle it with a little mozzarella. Serve with a Mexican Cabbage Salad. Use chopped cabbage, onions and tomatoes mixed together. Sprinkle with the juice of a lime and salt and pepper. A south of the Border treat, very low in calories and yummy. I learned this from a dear friend who lives in San Luis, Mexico.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog - www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

Etsy Store - www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  8:56:56 PM  Show Profile
okay here is what I can not have - bread of any kind, chips, tortillas, pasta, rice, dairy, most fruits, carrots, corn, potatoes, beans, candy, sugar, honey, syrup

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  05:40:40 AM  Show Profile
ok- reading between the lines here- how about winter squash and yams? Grains other than wheat/rice/corn?
~Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

daylily
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Chris
Newcastle CA
USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  1:16:54 PM  Show Profile
Julie, this website should give you enough low carb recipes to keep you busy for a loooong while! http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

Edited to add: I assume you mean "low" carb. Salad veggies, etc. have carbs in them. The recipes on that site are not "no" carb.

Chris
Farmgirl Sister #346

http://refininglife.blogspot.com
http://organizedkitchen.blogspot.com

Edited by - daylily on Jul 21 2010 1:20:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  08:10:05 AM  Show Profile
No carb is a misnomer. Anything not fat or protein is a carbohydrate. Veggies are still carbs, they are just high enough in fiber and low enough in fructose to not cause blood sugar swings. I too, am eating low carb. Broccoli and cheese (not cheese sauce), bacon and eggs, hard boiled eggs (i like these for snacks), tuna salad, peanut butter if you buy the natural kind without sugar. Nuts of all kinds, pickles. Please don't do low fat. Your body needs the fat to survive, and many vitamins are fat soluble (like vitamin A), meaning they won't get absorbed without fat eaten with them. Try Stevia for sweetening things.

Liz

Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  11:53:34 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I follow a low carb, low cholesterol eating plan. Here are a couple of recipes to satisfy your sweet tooth.

Tofu Pie
Ingredients
• 1 ready made graham cracker crust (look for the one with the lowest carb count per slice)
• 1 package sugar free lemon Jello (3 oz)
• 1 cup boiling water
• 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
• 4 oz fat free cream cheese (if you are not watching your fat/cholesterol, use regular)
• 12 oz package silken tofu, soft type (I used Silken Tofu
• 4 oz non dairy whipped topping (Cool Whip Free)- again use regular if not watching fat/cholesterol

Directions
I heat the water in microwave for a couple of minutes - put the water in blender - slowly add lemon jello, lemon extract and lemon juice - when mixed pour jello in small bowl and refrigerate until it starts to set. Put jello back in blender - blend with the tofu, cream cheese and Cool Whip, I blend till smooth and creamy. Pour into graham cracker crust, refrigerate for about 4 hours until set, cut into 8 pieces, eat and enjoy. This is a very diabetic friendly recipe.

Dreamsicle Dessert
Ingredients
8 oz container of Cool Whip Free
4 oz box of S/F Fat Free Vanilla Instant Pudding (sm. box)
3 oz box of S/F Orange Jello (sm box)
Directions
Make Jello as specified in directions on box, stir in the dry pudding mix, mix well.
Add 8 oz container of Cool Whip Free, mix well (mixer or whisk)
Transfer to 6 containers (1 cup each)
Freeze or refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

This is very low in carbs and soooooooooooooooo good.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
hiddentreasures-bluff.blogspot.com
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Carb free recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page