melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3305 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3305 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  8:18:19 PM  Show Profile
I have been glued to CNN all day today and continue to shake my head in disbelief at the madness that occurred in Tucson, Arizona.

I realize since time began there has always been aggression and killing, but does it seem to you that there is an inordinate amount of this horrific kind of behavior happening in recent years?

What is happening to our youth?

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  8:45:03 PM  Show Profile
Melody, I am totally with you. The deterioration of family, the poor standard of education, the influence of media, violent video games, the horrific programming on television, the degradation of life, this junk-y 'political correctness' (which started out with the best intentions, but as we humans tend to do, we often take it way too far beyond reason!), the horrific stuff out there on the internet... and I know not everyone is going to see it this way, but to me, it's honestly just the God-lessness in the world. It's heartbreaking. But we can't give up. We have to pray harder than ever, make our families stronger, and really and truly make our voices heard. When people don't feel they have a voice, they act instead. And with all the unsavory influences that pound us in every aspect of our lives, some people don't really know how to use their voice anymore - I believe many don't even really believe it matters, or, if they do, they surely don't seem to know how to vocalize their thoughts very well, often resorting to insults, name-calling, and hate speech, which makes everything that much more worse. And then things that happen like today, or with that boy in the town next to yours, happen; and everyone is stopped in their tracks. It's insane. And it's not just our youth, either.

Argh... I just am so upset by all of this insanity, too. I believe in the good, I believe in the good in people. It's just when things like this happen, and our world is rocked, it seems like there is no good. But there is. Wouldn't it be great to have a "Good News" report solely dedicated to uplifting, encouraging and enlightening? You know... I think I'm going to start a "Good News" forum... what do you think? Only reports of good things - no matter how small they seem to be - something new, uplifting, encouraging and inspiring from the Farmgirls, every day! I can't think of better people to pull such a crazy idea off! So, I'm just going to do that right now! :) Are you with me, girl!? Hugs - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3305 Posts

Melody
USA
3305 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  8:49:53 PM  Show Profile
Yes! Dear Nini!!

It just beats a person down-Every single day horrific news-One of my greatest fears is that we become inured to all it-become so flooded with all of this that it reaches a point where we just don't care anymore-That scares the beejeebers out of me.

Do it Nini start a Good News Post and I will add to when I find some Good News out there-Because I agree with you-We are good-It's there-it just has to be heard.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  9:02:22 PM  Show Profile
Done!!! Love ya, sister! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  9:11:16 PM  Show Profile
Girls I totally agree with you both! Nini looking forward to your new Good News Post. I will for sure post there. Everyday there are good things that if we take the time to see and enjoy them. It just seems that everyone is much too busy to see the little blessing that have been brought to us. Families are just going in so many different directions anymore. Many times they don't even share meal time together. It saddens me that my grand-children will never know the life we had as children. All we can do is try to keep those special times going in our own families and maybe pass it on to others that don't have it. It has gotten to where I just don't want to watch the news. There is so much evil out there anymore. But we have to stand up and share the love of God, and the fact that things can be handled differently. I'm with you girlfriends, lets start passing the good on to each other. Hugs, Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  05:49:02 AM  Show Profile
I also agree. There is more violence and bad news, but I also think the media really sensationalizes it. A good news post will be great!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  06:04:52 AM  Show Profile
What a great idea to have a Good News post! Sometimes there are so many sad and depressing things happening in the world that I almost want to take a news break. Of course, that doesn't change anything. A Good News post would help to put things in perspective. MaggieMB
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  09:55:58 AM  Show Profile
There has always been horrific, terrible behavior since the beginning of time. This individual was obviously deranged. If he just wanted to assassinate Rep. Giffords, it doesn't make sense that he'd open fire on an entire crowd. No, he wanted to cause pain and suffering for as many people as possible. Not that assassination makes much sense either, but...

While we can't solve the world's problems, we can provide a loving home for our families...yes, I do believe that the current 'culture' is gross, crass, and anti-family, which leads to desensitized and damaged people. Such a shame.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  10:06:47 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Nini-I work with situations like this on a daily basis. It is horrific and seeing the inside of what happens is even worse. I don't think one or even a handful of things can define the madness. There are good people out there, I have to believe that otherwise I would be in a padded room. I think that polarized thought process is driving a wedge in our country. I do believe that we can come together and accept difference, embracing what we have in common and know it's okay to disagree but not to do it with violence or hatred. Hatred in any direction never works, healing, however, does.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  08:29:58 AM  Show Profile
Pam - sooo well said!! Thank you.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  09:43:45 AM  Show Profile
Pam - I hope I didn't confuse you - I in no way meant to polarize... I'm not sure you took what I said in the light it was meant. I am completely with you about accepting difference and embracing commonality. And yes, like I said, there is a lot of good out there, many, many good people. And hate is unacceptable, absolutely, love and compassion is what heals. I do agree to disagree - actually, I think that is what has saved my marriage many times, as we are polar opposites on many counts! LOL! But I do honestly still feel that all the negative influences that pound us from every angle do contribute to people's thoughts and actions. Ultimately, however, people have the ability to make their own choices, and those who harm others must be held responsible for their actions. I hope that helps clarify my position. No offense was meant at all in my remarks, so, please, if anyone took offense, accept my apologies. You are absolutely right, and I completely agree: there are a lot of contributing factors, and absolutely no simple answers.

Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jan 10 2011 10:22:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  10:26:10 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Oh no Nini-I didn't think so at all and I definitely think that influences such as media, violence, and just plain old rudeness for a lack of better word is a huge factor! Outside influences are bombarding us with hate, anger, violence and privilege lifestyles. No one is held accountable anymore. I think there are more people like us-ones who understand and are compassionate and get that we want to live in places that are not negative, run down and ugly (in all senses, not just visual) than there are negative. I agree with everyone-more positive news! More stories about love and compassion-it's contagious.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  6:42:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh, thank goodness! I thought I had said something that could've been taken differently than it was meant! I'm so glad I didn't upset you, Pam! You know I think the world of you! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  6:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Never Nini! You rock my socks! :)

Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  09:18:23 AM  Show Profile
Rudeness abounds. Nastiness is considered not only ok but necessary to assert yourself. And then the ones who want to keep right on being ugly are trying to point fingers to everything and everyone else. It says in the Bible to be kind to one another but since the Bible means less than nothing anymore who cares. There is a reason. Courtesy came about to keep people from killing each other for ridiculous stupid reasons like "dising" the other guy. OK I'll get off the soap box now.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  11:07:21 AM  Show Profile
You're right, Cherime. I know where you're coming from. It just amazes me how everything is so twisted out of proportion for political reasons, when in fact, at the core of the matter, there is a very disturbed person who committed an extremely heinous act. My heart breaks for those involved. And I'm disgusted with the media and with those who are trying to lay blame on people who had nothing whatsoever to do with this. When is this country simply going to hold the people who commit the crimes responsible for their own actions? I heard today that this guy claims he practices some weird dream state thing and that he thought he was in a dream or something. Yeah. Tell that to the judge. "The devil made do it." Bah. I haven't heard yet that he has apologized or harbors any regret for his actions. Pam's right: we can try to figure out all the things that may have fed into this person's psyche which led him to this crime, but the fact still remains: people make their own decisions.

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  12:32:21 PM  Show Profile
So agree ladies!!! Whewre is the good news post? I cannot find it? Change can begin with one person at a time!

Blessings, Linda

http://scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  12:41:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Linda! If you look under the "Gathered Up" forum, it's there under - "Gather up for the Farmgirl Good News Report!" I'm thinking about just shortening it to make it easier, though...

Any suggestions, girls? I would really, really, really like to see a lot of good news postings start pouring in, wouldn't you?

Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  6:16:52 PM  Show Profile
Mental illness (which seems to be the reason behind this attack). But you're right we seem to be hearing about this more often, even in Canada it seems there's more random violence happening.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3305 Posts

Melody
USA
3305 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  6:34:32 PM  Show Profile
There is a line from the movie "No Country for Old Men" where two sheriffs are talking about our nations youth and it goes something like this....

"When you stop hearing yes sir and yes mam the rest is soon to foller."

I think I have to agree with that.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  9:35:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi there you girls! I just found this thread. I must admit with the holidays and business, I am way behind. I think much wisdom has already been expressed. Personally, I think there has always been these crazy happenings & crazy people. However, because of our technology, we do have up to date happenings 24/7. We receive all this news (good & bad) through our TV's, radios, computers, Facebook, Twitter, phones and whatever else we use. The sensationalism of some of these events, draws people to it...just like a soap opera. People are the same as always. They used to show up for stonings, gladiators & lions, & hangings of horse stealers. You get the point. Remember how many people were glued to their TV's to see the white Bronco go down the freeway?

I think we have as a nation...maybe even the world, have become far less respectful of one another. I remember the Old TV show "All In The Family" which was cutting age in the 60's. It was where we heard Archie Bunker call his SIL...Meathead, Pollack,etc. It brought out racial overtones. I think before that, people may have thought it, but certain things just were not said. I am reminded of the scripture... Matt 12:36 37 "For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.” I think we should be far more gentle with our words and therefore become more gentle with others.

Also, with so many shot in front of that Safeway, I wonder why anyone would really need a 30 bullett clip to hunt with. I don't understand that. Do hunters really need thatmany in a clip? Anyway...

And finally, while I may have ruffled a few feathers unknowingly, I think that what Nini has talked about (Good News report) sounds like such a good thing. I must find it. Have you all posted to it?

Blessings to you all and if I haven't said it...Happy New Year..hope it is better than 2010.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  06:06:16 AM  Show Profile
Claudia, Amen and Amen!!! Going to look for the good news thread now. Hope everyone has a good day! Remember prayers for the first funeral, the little girl, from the shootings. May there be some peace and comfort for all concerned.

Blessings,Linda

http://www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  08:49:12 AM  Show Profile
God calls to be kind to one another and so often we do not do that. What does it hurt to let the person in to the lane ahead of you? Will we lose one minute of time? Or let the person with the crutches go first? Kindness needs to be rampant instead of "me first so move out of MY way".

CMF
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  09:08:59 AM  Show Profile
You are right Cherime. The old saying "Actions speak louder than words" is true. we need to remember both!!

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  11:47:03 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
I love that we can all come from different backgrounds: religious, political, social, environmental and be so loving and respectful to eachother. How amazing we truly are and how, more than ever we need to practice and preach that despite everything we can come together and love. I do have to say echo that I am frustrated by the way things are too and each time I see that little girl's face I burst into tears. How senseless. Even in my line of work, it's hard for me to wrap my brain around. I think what we can do now is just what Nini is doing-showing the good in people and having us pass it on.

There is a great saying:
Have compassion for everyone you meet, even when they don't want it. What seems conceit, bad manners, or cynicism is always a sign of things no ears hears have ever heard, no eyes have ever seen. You do not know what wars are going on down there where the spirit meets the bone.

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  12:40:37 PM  Show Profile
Pam that is a magnificent saying. Where did you ever find it? I want to copy it for my own use if you don't mind & maybe put it in my Facebook status. I think others should benefit from it. Please let me know if it is OK. Thank you!
quote:
Originally posted by kittykill

I love that we can all come from different backgrounds: religious, political, social, environmental and be so loving and respectful to eachother. How amazing we truly are and how, more than ever we need to practice and preach that despite everything we can come together and love. I do have to say echo that I am frustrated by the way things are too and each time I see that little girl's face I burst into tears. How senseless. Even in my line of work, it's hard for me to wrap my brain around. I think what we can do now is just what Nini is doing-showing the good in people and having us pass it on.

There is a great saying:
Have compassion for everyone you meet, even when they don't want it. What seems conceit, bad manners, or cynicism is always a sign of things no ears hears have ever heard, no eyes have ever seen. You do not know what wars are going on down there where the spirit meets the bone.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Family Matters: Previous Topic Innocence Lost? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page