Page: of 10

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  6:32:38 PM  Show Profile
Okay ladies, you asked for it, so here it is! We'll read at whatever pace is necessary to get all opinions heard. So here are the readings, and then I'll post the first post below it.
1. Genesis 12:1-9
2. Exodus 3:1-4, 17
3. Ruth
4. 1 Samuel 3
5. 1 Samuel 16
6. Isaiah 43: 1-7
7. Jeremiah 1: 4-10
8. Matthew 4: 18-22
9. Mark 8: 31-38
10. Luke 9: 1-6
11. Luke 18: 18-30
12. Acts 9: 1-19
13. Ephesians 5: 1-20
14. 1 Peter 2: 9-17
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  6:40:46 PM  Show Profile
So in the first reading in Genesis, Abram is being called by Jehovah to leave his home and go to the land that he showed to Abram. He was "Called by God" (which is the theme of this study). I think that this reading shows that to follow what God wants us to do we have to put everything we have in doing God's will, not just saying, oh, I'll be nice sometimes, but other times I may have to be mean. I think it shows that we are always be called by God to be good and moral people, and that we are always continuing on that journey to be good.
(This is my first time leading a Bible study, so any input and criticism is most definitely welcome!)
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  01:24:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Megan, I think you said it well. I have a student bible, it has a little info on ch. 12. Here is some of what it says.
Genesis completly changes at this chapter. It was like the begining of time world history, now it has become a story of one, Abraham. Abraham was not perfect. He sometimes strayed from Gods word, yet in the roughest time he seeked and listened to God. He was the chosen one, the first of his time to get circumcised. He listend to God even when it was a tough thing to hear. God kept telling him his family would rein all the land he roamed, yet he was barren at this point. He didn't falter from God. He listened and believed.

Here are the life questions...
If you were in Abrahams place, and God had asked you to leave your home and trust in him, would you?
How would you have responded to this request?
Has God ever asked anything hard or risky of you?

God Bless
Angie-amomfly

Edited by - amomfly on Jan 25 2011 01:28:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  01:36:38 AM  Show Profile
I think we are being told to trust in Gods word here. He wants us to know we must follow him. Even if it is uncomfortable.
I would like to think if God was speaking to me I would listen. I am not sure if he truly spoke to me if I would listen. Abraham had conversations with God. I have never had one. I feel led or nudges to do this or that. I hope I listen well to God when I feel nudged or led.
God is challenging me now. I know what is best and asked of me to help my parents. Yet the verbal accusations in the past from them [they are no attending nor do they want to attend a church] have really affected me. I pray this is not going to happen while they are here. But I do have fears. I must trust God will see me thu all of this.

Dear heavenly Father, thank you for this study and talk to each and everyone of us, we want to learn, we want to hear what it is you want us to know. God we want to obey,trust and love you unconditionally. I pray these things in Jeusus' name Amen.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  06:17:59 AM  Show Profile
Genesis 12: 1-9 - I have always been amazed by Abram's ability to completely trust God's Word. He had complete faith that what he was told would happen.

I often try to put myself in the shoes of the one the Bible is talking about in these verses. Would I really have taken my family and moved? Of course, I want to believe that I would have but when I think about how complicated my life is, I wonder if I really would.

This is a humbling and sobering thought to me and makes me very aware of where I need to work on my relationship with God. Just because I don't clearly hear God's voice and have a conversation with Him, doesn't mean he isn't attempting to guide me. I definitely let the little things in life get in the way.

This is actually the first time I have publicly admitted that I don't clearly hear God's guidance. This has helped me know that I need to pray that I be changed to be able to hear His Voice.

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  11:59:26 AM  Show Profile
It is most interesting to hear of Abram's willingness to hear, listen and do! And to be certain that it was God talking to him. So many times I have thought that maybe I should do this or that and sometimes the same thought comes to me many times off and on. I question that it may be God, but I don't continue to see it though. I'm praying that if he were to ask a certain thing that I would, instead of wondering if its my will or his. I know I'm making this sound very confusing, but it has been a situation for along time with me. Not knowing if he is whispering his wishes to me. So Starletta I totally understand what your saying. I'm afriad that I listen to other's way more that hearing Gods voice. For which I am so sorry. I need more quiet time to just focus on sitting with the Lord. Megan, thank you for this new bible study. I think the Lord has brought us all here to learn more about his wishes for us. Hugs, Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  4:38:51 PM  Show Profile
I enjoyed reading this and reading chap 11 to get perspective. In the beginning of Chap. 12, we find God speaking to Abram about leaving his father.
1) As he arrived in Shechem (verse 7), God appeared to Abram. There was a change in his relationship to God...he had gone from HEARING to SEEing. He built an altar praising God & took off again.
2) in Chap 11, he had left Ur with his father Terah, his brother Nahor (and family) and Lot, Abram's nephew. His brother Haran (Lot's father) had died in Ur. They traveled north and settled in Haran. Was that area named after Abram's dead brother?
3) It says that Terah started having his children when he was 75. Abram was 75 when he left Haran & his father. That would have made his father 150 yrs old. Terah lived another 55 years- dying when he was 205.

I say all that background because with the Bible mentioning the genealogy beforehand, family must have been important. Terah had buried a son in Ur, and then lost another son & grandson (Lot) with Abram's move. Even though Terah was a pagan, I wonder if it hurt Terah's heart. As my mother is in her 90's, I find myself sticking around, making myself available in case she needs me. If I "think" I heard a voice telling me to leave my Mom, I would wonder if it was from God or the Evil One. Also God was speaking truths to him about being blessed & being a great nation, having alot of land etc. If it had been me, I would really question whether that was God. I might automatically start being puffed up and committing the sin of pride..."me..the bigshot!" I think I would personally have failed, figured God wouldn't ask me that and felt my parent needed me.

In a note at the bottom of my bible it says that it was 400 miles from Harah to Shechem. That was a long journey. Must have taken a long time. Abram had a lot of time to think about what he was doing. But like David said in Ps 119:105, God's word was a lamp unto his feet...not a beacon clear far ahead. So, daily god must have been saying..."Yes, you are going the right way, you are ding the right thing." I think Abram had to be praying (talking ) to God daily so that he went to the right place. I would have needed that constant reassurance. Abram also believed God for children...didn't say it would be with Sarai at this point...but he believed God would perform it someway. This was a time when men had more than one wife. Abram truly had God's grace to carry this out. Maybe that is it. WE CAN'T DO ANYTHING GOD ASKS THAT IS HARD TO DO UNLESS WE HAVE GOD'S GRACE.

I hope I make sense & that it is not too jumbled. May God give you ears to hear what He has to say to us.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

dnelson252
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Debra
Western PA...home of the STEELERS!! The Keystone State
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  5:48:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies,
I hope this is okay, but I would like to just be here taking in all you have to say. I am very new to this walk in life. I have never read the Bible, let alone been part of a Bible study. I'm a recovering Catholic...lol! So if it's alright I would like to just take this all in and try to understand. If I get a little more confidence you may hear from me. God blessings to you all...Debra

Please Lord, give me patience....and give it to me NOW!!! Farmgirl #2116
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  6:06:14 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Debra, I believe we are all in the learning process. You can learn something everytime you get a group together and all the thoughts. Love having you join us. Hugs, Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  6:38:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Debra. I think there are many of us from all denominations...Catholic included. If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask. It may be a question that another has. There are many here who are very learned, and others who give a different slant...it is cool. We all learn. Blessings to you.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  7:24:05 PM  Show Profile
This reading definitely tells me a lot about trust. Would I be able to just pick up and move just because God tells me to? Claudia, 400 miles would be a long journey to take. Maybe that's a symbol that the journey to God is a long and sometimes hard one, but if we trust in the Lord, it will work out.
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  02:34:18 AM  Show Profile
Debra, join in, we are all here to learn and talk.
I do find that God is telling us to learn how it is Abraham was spoke to by him. How is it we hear from God?
In what way does God speak to you?
Do you hear a voice, is it just nudges to your soul,heart or mind?
Have any of you just felt an overwhelming need to follow a path, and then when you learn your spouse or a friend has the same feeling; you feel it is God guiding you?
I think these are all questions to consider when we look at this scripture.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  05:55:33 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Debra...so very glad you found us! Angie, I have to say that I think I hear God in these overwhelming nudges almost like my conscience is shouting at me in my mind. Every time I have followed the nudge has been a good choice and every time I haven't has been a bad choice.

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  08:03:15 AM  Show Profile
Angie, I think you are right on. I agree with Starletta, that I get nudges, almost from my conscience, and if I don't do it, I'll regret the opportunity. I can say that I "heard" a sentence from God with my inner ear only once. I can see it in my mind's eye still now after 33 years. My first husband & I were having marital troubles. It was Father's Day and he was 2 hours late in coming home with the kids for a Father's Day dinner. As I was sticking some clothes into the dryer, I "heard" this voice say to me..."ask to trust the Lord more." Can still hear it. I had this feeling of foreboding, but I did ask God for grace to trust Him more." Within a half hour, he came home with the kids. He had spent his day with the kids fishing...and another woman. Much pain, but I knew that with that prayer, God had me ...and the kids in the palm of His hand. Blessings.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  08:09:02 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Debra, join in with us!! Well, this will be a great study, I think! Thank you Megan. I just 1 1/2 yrs ago did make a huge move that I did feel the Lord was leading me to do. It has been quite difficult, yet, I still feel it is God's will that I am here. I think 'His will' and His 'speaking' to us is often that nudge or sometimes it even seems like a 'nagging' that you just begin to KNOW in your heart this is what He wants of you. Often times, in my life, He has confirmed it thru others or a scripture verse, etc. Also, not always does the follow thru go easily. This move has been rough for me and unfortuneately I, in my own selfish sin, want to argue so to speak. I truly have little doubt that this is where I am to be, however instead of 'resting in His will' for me, I fight what I know is right and end up making myself miserable. Why? In our silly humanity do we do that?? I know several people and Pastor's and their families that the Lord has guided to make huge moves and sacrifices. Many have made moves to another country. I think when all is said and done, He so desires for our obedience to Him. In doing that, we have to trust that of course He sees the big picture that we do not!! When we, as I seem to do, challenge Him every step of the way......what blessings and teachings might we miss out on???Honestly, had I not moved here? I may never have found the farmgirls. I would have missed out on soooo much with that alone!! But, also, He is teaching me and guiding me so faithfully, WHEN I surrender to me and allow Him to work in my life. Every day is most certainly a process isn't it??

Blessings, Linda

http://www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  08:53:54 AM  Show Profile
I heard a teaching recently that said that hardness of heart had more to do with not believing that God will do as he says he will than simply not believing in him. That one hit home. Here is Abram leaving to travel a great distance with his entire household on the word of the Lord. I sometimes have a great deal of trouble walking 40 feet to pray for someone that I Know that I Know I am to pray for. What a sacrifice Abram made in response to God's call on his life.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

dnelson252
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Debra
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  09:22:45 AM  Show Profile
I agree that to take that walk of faith, as Abram did, would really test me. If I could take my family....no problem. But if I was ever asked to leave the ones I love behind...I really don't think I could do it. I hope HE never asks me to make a decision like that...I am not that strong.

I struggle with who is talking to me...or if I am just thinking thoughts about what I want. How do you know? I do know that once He did talk to me...I will never forget it. It was when the stock market was taking a nose dive. We have some savings invested and I was getting really upset about what was happening, thinking all that we had saved for would be lost. Weeks of this fear. Then one night, as I was sleeping, I heard a voice as if someone was right there with me. "Who are you going to trust...the numbers, or Me?" I will NEVER forget that and I have never worried again about the "numbers". I was totally blown away.

I have another directive (I think) that I have yet to fulfill. It has been in me to provide small hats and buntings for the babies who return to Heaven before they ever begin to live. This has been with me for more than 2 years. I think that the pain of that kind of loss is what is stopping me. I am afraid that I will become so upset that I don't want to go there....so, it just keeps nagging at me.

I hope that I could follow His direction, if called upon. I hope I would be strong enough. I hope this study will help find the strength to go where I am asked.

Thanks ladies. You have no idea how it helps me to understand something that I have only recently realized was to be my "walk of faith"....God Bless you all....Debra

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  09:39:08 AM  Show Profile
You know, I think Claudia brought up an excellent point about the familial aspect of all of this. When God calls us and we answer, we enter into a covenant relationship with Him. Its not like any other relationship in the world, but most closely similar to that of a family relationship. God called Abram and promised him blessings of a great family and an incredible future. Think about what He said:

1 The LORD had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.
2 “I will make you into a great nation,
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing.
3 I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you.”

Sorry - I accidentally posted without finishing my thought.

God's promises are binding eternally. Not like man's which we hope we can believe and trust in, but they are of God, THE One Whose words are worthy and true. His part of the covenant is never broken. And entering into covenant with God made Abram family - not just a mere mortal creation. If we know anything, don't we just know that family "sticks..." you may love them, you may hate them, but you'll never be "rid" of them. It's permanent. Forever. So, when we enter into God's covenant by answering His call, we're family - His sons and daughters. We also know the love and bonds of parenthood never end. So we know God, Our Father, will be true to His Word when we follow His call. He's not going to go back on His Word. We can trust Him.

And in this passage, He gives very specific promises to Abram - 1) He will direct his path; 2) He will make him into a great nation and protect him; 3) He will make his name great and he will bless others; 4) He will bless those who bless Abram and curse those who do not. 5) All the people of the earth will be blessed through Abram. God didn't just "call" Abram and leave him empty-handed or to waver out in the wind! When God calls us, He gives us glimpses into His plan - a hope - and we can trust His plan for us!

Now we're thinking, okay, but would we have picked up our families and gone? Let me ask you this - how many times have you been led by the Spirit to do something? Sure, many times we do not find the courage to act, but we do follow His call in many ways every single day. He GIVES us that faith - it is a gift He gives to his sons and daughters. Otherwise, I'm not so sure we'd be able to believe and follow the call. And, lucky us, we've got the "luxury" of baby steps. Abram? He was right there in God's Holy presence. For Abram, it may have been a "leap" of faith, but he knew that God was undeniable - he knew with every fiber of his being that he could believe and trust. God's revelation of Himself to Abraham gave him an almost tangible faith to believe in Him. And His promises could not be doubted. Abram "knew." And it kind of strikes me that through Abram's "knowing," and action to follow God's call, we have received our own faith and ability to follow God's call.

Abram, KNOWING God, had that faith and the ability to do what he was called, which is another important point all of you have raised. Abram knew God in a different way than we do, but we do, nevertheless know Him. We know him through His word, through His miracles, through His creation, through every aspect of our being. Sometimes I think - and I'm guilty of this, too - that we get so bogged down in the concerns of the day that we can forget to "see" and "hear" God's still, quiet voice - it's all around us. I don't mean to say we need to hear His voice directly or literally see His face (although I'm sure some do), but I mean He speaks to us in so many different ways. And our "covenant" with Him comes through the Living Word - through the Bible, yes, but most importantly through the Living Word Who became flesh - His Son, our Lord, Jesus Christ. None of that will ever be broken, you know? He is the same today, yesterday and forever. We see Him all around us. And we "know" about Him because of the words our forefathers meticulously recorded. We are truly blessed through Abram! And all throughout history, we can see God's covenant to Abram's call in action.

I'm always amazed at how the Bible has withstood the test of time, and that the stories therein are just as applicable today as when they were experienced all those years ago. I've read ancient works - Gilgamesh, the Histories, Aeschylus, to name a few. But we don't really talk about those stories today, do we? The Bible - God's Word - however, is still alive! That's pretty amzing! :)

Hugs - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jan 26 2011 10:30:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  10:17:49 AM  Show Profile
I just had another thought - thank you for bearing with me. I'm sure - SURE - that some in Abram's family had a hard time picking up and leaving, too. But why did they? Probably out of respect for Abram as head of the family, sure. But I would have to think that after speaking with God that Abram was "different." Something about him changed, and that change was evidenced in how he looked, how he spoke, how he acted - how he lived. They didn't see God, but they "knew" he did! I bet his faith was undeniable to those around him - to the point that they believed, too... or at least trusted enough to pack up and go with Abram. And don't you just love how Abram built an alter to the Lord to remember His promise to him - a standing testimony to the Word of God! Makes me consider all the things I should do differently... and how in my life I, myself, must serve as a standing testimony to the Word of God. We really do, don't we? How I wish that I was so full of faith that others would believe, too!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jan 26 2011 10:18:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  8:21:15 PM  Show Profile
Nini, good thoughts! In theology today, we were talking about how the gospel of John shows Jesus' special relationship with God: He is the Son of God. While in this life we may not be able to get that same very close relationship with God that Jesus had, we can still strive for one like Abram had with God.
You also strike a good point about covenants. They are two way agreements. We will never do for God and God not do anything. If we do something for God, He will do things in return for us.
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  9:04:13 PM  Show Profile
You know, Megan... I've been thinking about this all day. Not only did God call Abram, not only did He give him hope and promises for the future, not only did He enter into covenant (family) relationship with Abram... Later on we see that God made him new! He commanded him "to walk before God and be blameless." In turn, Abram received a new name and a new identity from God. He became Abraham - the father of many nations. He was given the outward sign of the covenant in cicurmcision - not just for Abraham and his sons, but for ALL the people of his household...

It's kind of interesting to see the foreshadowing of our salvation taking shape right here through God's covenant with Abraham. We have met God "face to face" through His Son, Our Lord and Saviour - Jesus Christ! God's call to Abraham has now been extended to all men through Christ (God promised that through Abraham all nations would be blessed!). God's promises and hope for eternity in Him that we have received through Christ. The everlasting covenant we have received through Christ. Our ability to walk blamelessly before God - to freely come to Him knowing how much He loves us, with the blessed assurance that He will never leave nor forsake us - through Christ. The new identity we have received as Children of God through Christ. The circumcision of the heart that all believers receive through Christ. It's all through Christ! We have really received all of these as fulfilled through Christ! And here it begins, in the pages of Genesis. I absolutely love watching our salvation unfold through the Bible! Christ died once, for all. If only "all" would heed THE call!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  05:22:27 AM  Show Profile
I think when we truly 'surrender' ourselves to God and go forward with what we feel He has led us to do, just as Megan said, He always follows thru with us. As He guides and leads us in our lives, He never leaves us stranded. He sees the whole picture and works it thru. As in Prov....'For I know the plans I have for you'...... I am sooo thankful for His grace, mercy and patience with us!
Have a great day ladies!
Blessings, Linda

http://www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart

Edited by - prayin granny on Jan 27 2011 05:24:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

dnelson252
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Debra
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  09:59:51 AM  Show Profile
Wow, this is such a blessing for me! Having never read the bible, my understanding of what is written doesn't do more than scratch the surface. Reading all the comments, gives me such a better understanding. I said that I didn't know if I could leave my children...that love transcends everything here on earth. But now I realize that God would not ask me to do that...we are His children and He understands that love. I would not abandon them, as He doesn't abandon us, but would be able to give them the opportunity to follow as He does the same with us. Also, I agree that after hearing from God, Abram would be so different that people couldn't help but notice. Abram would not be the same person and it would be like 2 lives...the one before he heard God and the one after. As we are when we accept Christ.

Thank you ladies...you have no idea how this blesses my day....Debra

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  7:11:29 PM  Show Profile
Debra awesome thoughts!
Nini, the word Testament literally means covenant. The New Testament is just a continuation of the first covenant God made with Abram, only it's continuing with Jesus.
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  8:05:50 PM  Show Profile
Precisely! :)

Miriam-Webster gives this background on the origins of the word "testament":

"Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin & Latin;
Late Latin testamentum covenant with God, holy scripture, from Latin, last will, from testari to be a witness, call to witness, make a will, from testis witness; akin to Latin tres three & to Latin stare to stand; from the witness's standing by as a third party in a litigation"

Pretty interesting to consider:
Covenant with God (familial covenant)
Holy Scripture (God-breathed Word)
Last will (God's Word is final)
To witness or call to be a witness (foreshadow; testimony to witness)
To make a will (God's will be done; Bible - Word of God)
Three to stand/witness (Out of the mouths of two or three witnesses everything is established)

Such depth of meaning! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jan 27 2011 8:27:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  03:22:15 AM  Show Profile
Wow ladies... how much to think about.

I was trying to say that it does not matter how it is we hear God. But if it a nudge, voice,feelings etc. We must follow it as Abraham did. I have learned to discuss what it is I am feeling or hearing. My husband and I were led to adjust and change our lives, and I feel we were led to do it. We both had thought about it, felt it as the best option and then opened the discussion up and it was our only option. I think God was working in us. He was telling us both the same thing and we followed it. Now we must live with it and move forward.
Anyway.
Are we ready for the next reading on Monday?!
I am excited!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Family Matters: Previous Topic Bible Study #2- Called By God Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page