jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  1:30:57 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted to add, in reference to a post above, that the outer perimeter of the temple that was reserved for Gentiles was where the tax collectors that Jesus grew angry at were positioned. Our pastor recently noted that perhaps he grew angry at them and threw them out, not only because they were using the temple wrongly, but because they were taking over the only space reserved for those worhsippers that were not of the Jewish race. Jesus was telling us that the temple is for all, and to take over another's space, no matter their race, is not acceptable.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  5:00:31 PM  Show Profile
good point I had never heard. I know that Gentiles were not allowed into the temple proper as they were unclean. Money changers were at the temple, because they would sell doves etc for someone to offer as a sacrifice. remember Mary & Joseph buying tow turtle doves when her time after jesus birth was fulfilled. Most people had to get their perfect sacrifices somewhere...usually the steps of the temple. At least this is what I heard.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  9:14:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! Sorry I have been absent from discussion, but I'm so glad that I came back to a plethora of things to comment on!
We somewhat talked about this in theology a few weeks ago. In the Old Testament, the law was followed word for word, but when Jesus came, he focused more on the spirit of the law and not the word of the law. His message was that it's okay to be 'unclean' if it meant you were showing God's love to the sinners or the lepers.
Linda, I think that the rule picking and choosing is more up to how different people interpret the Bible. I wish I had a better insight, but I really think that's how new denominations sprout. It started with Martin Luther back in the Protestant Reformation.
Nini, I like what you said about how before Jesus came, the law was a wing for us. But when He came, he was able to tell us what the laws really meant and that's when we were able to understand.
I really loved reading all of your insights!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  10:21:25 PM  Show Profile
WOW! I've been reading everything you've all said, and I just love everything you're all saying!

Linda - no apologies ever needed here! We're ALL learning. I've learned a lot here myself! It's so good and so interesting to learn from each other - it's like the Bible says how we're one body of many parts. When the parts come together, we are made whole! ;)

I just love what you said, Claudia. I actually have a Mezuzah! I love learning about our Jewish spiritual heritage, and I always loved the meaning behind the Mezuzah. "Hear, O Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is One." One day I found this one, and decided I'd really like to have it. I haven't put it up, though. It's just a lovely reminder resting here on my desk about Who God is. One of the Biblical names for God, "El Shaddai," is actually an acronym for "Shomer Daltot Yisrael," or, "Guardian of Israel's doors", and that many mezuzah cases - mine included - are also marked with the Hebrew letter Shin, for Shaddai. Perty nifty and interesting stuff, huh? Somewhat also applicable, and I think interesting to note also: when my in-laws (of Lebanese and Serbian descent) were married, they took bread dough and stuck it up under the eaves of their front porch above the door. I'm exactly sure if my recollection is completely correct, but I remember my mother-in-law said it was an old Middle Eastern tradition to do so, as bread is the staff of life, symbolizing God's blessing. The tradition held that as long as the dough remained in tact, the marriage and home would be blessed. They had long since sold their old home, but would drive by from time to time to see their blessing over the home's door (they had shared the story with the "new" owners, who loved the story so much, they kept the dough in place over the years. Their "blessing" remained there right up until the day my father-in-law passed, which also happened to be the day that the home was torn down. How about that? Please understand: I do not believe in the superstitious nature of this tradition at all, but I did think it was quite a coincidence.

I had a college professor comment one time about how the Pharisees and Sadducees had missed the mark by wearing instead of truly living Sacred Scripture. He remarked, "...for they were truly sad, you see..." I always remember that.

And you, too Annette - you know, you're right about the Temple. When I was much younger (eons ago - LOL!) I heard a minister give a sermon about that. He said that when the curtain was torn, the Holy Spirit no longer dwelled there and waited for Christ's resurrection and ascension before being sent by Him in the form of tongues of fire to rest on (reside in) us. That is a total paraphrase, of course, but the message is so important. I love that you raised that point! No more veil! Halleliujah!

Jeannie - I had never heard that before about the outer court - that is very, very interesting. I bet we could do an entire study on that alone! I'm going to have to read up on that! Thank you!

Megan - you bring up an excellent point about things having changed - understanding, interpretation, etc. - with the Reformation. One thing that had profound impact on me was when I began to search back into history and learn about what truths the Church Fathers understood and passed down about Christ and their (as well as Hebrew) understanding and interpretation of Holy Scripture. It was an (and still is an ongoing) incredible revelation to me, and was extremely exciting AND overwhelming at the same time! I am still learning so much - it's quite an exciting journey, to say the least! When man adds his own interpretation, we can certainly come very far away from the original intent of the Scriptures. On the one hand, we "evolve" in our understanding through God's revelation over time; on the other hand, we also can seriously misinterpret scripture if we stray from the original meaning. Excellent point! And you're absolutely right, as are all the other girls - people do tend to pick and choose what we like or don't like to follow; that can be very, very dangerous, I think. It can also be very, very dangerous to be legalistic about them. I guess when in doubt, pray, pray, pray!! :)

After posting on the subject last week, my son and I were watching a religious program that discussed this very subject as part of his homeschool. The priest explained it very well, touching on just about everything all of us have mentioned. He said that we must remember that Jesus is the fulfillment of the promise of the Law. I really liked that - it summed it all up very well, I thought!

I guess wherever man is concerned, there is going to be error all around. We can't please everybody, surely, but we can sure try pleasing God. Neither can we blame God for man's shortcomings, we can only turn to Him to help us change our own shortcomings. Perhaps in so doing, we might effect change by becoming salt and light in our own little corner of the world. :)

I still have a couple of thoughts on the current Scripture discussion, too. You all have covered it so well! But I found some interesting things that I'd like to share, too... Maybe next time, though! I'm pooped - go figure! LOL!

Hugs,

Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Apr 03 2011 10:23:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  11:10:50 AM  Show Profile
Just as a side thought: I honestly do not have a problem with outward reminders of God, but we should probably be very careful not to judge other's intentions concerning them. I'm forever being drawn into conversations about this because of misunderstanding about my denomination's belief about signs and symbols. Suffice it to say that we should remember that these can become PART of worship when they serve as reminders of God and give Him all the Glory! The problem comes when they become ALL we have or express in ourselves of Him OR if they become idols in our hearts, you know? In other words, if I were to have a cross hanging in my room, but that was what I relied on as my salvation, therein would be a huge problem. But if that cross serves as a reminder to me of my Savior, recalling the story of our salvation, and if it is an outward sign in my home which draws others into a conversation about Christ, it's a good thing.

As Christians we have many outward signs we use in worshipping God, if we really think about it. Likewise, I believe that an Orthodox Jew who has a pure heart and love for God isn't wearing the phylactery for just the symbol or simply because he believes IT is his salvation, though, any more than we as Christians would wear a crucifix or cross believing IT was ours - you know what I mean? To someone who loves God, those are outward signs of our love for Him, a way to show Him our love and respect while silently inviting others into conversation. If that is all that person relies on, they are absolutely sadly mistaken, as Claudia pointed out - absolutely! Claudia, you're spot on about that! But I also feel it's important to remember that to someone who doesn't know the heart of a person for God, it can be easy to judge what we see when we take it at face value rather than try to understand the beauty of it, you know? That's all. That is not where Claudia was going with her statement at all; I know that... but I really did feel the need to clarify - I hope that's okay... And I hope that I'm saying it right. :)

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  3:12:36 PM  Show Profile
Nini, you bring up a good point. A person can wear all of the crosses they want and display all the rosaries they want, but it's what's in a person's heart that matters. Maybe we can take to heart the fact the Jewish in the Old Testament were more concerned about their hearts and keeping themselves clean for God. Granted, they didn't have all of our modern technology, but I think sometimes we have to look past the cross and remember the real reason for our wearing it.
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  3:57:34 PM  Show Profile
Oooooh! I love how you put that, Megan! There is a lot of wisdom in your words! I'm going to remember that! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  6:29:31 PM  Show Profile
I was just thinking, too how this kind of all applies to the Scripture we've been discussing about God's call to David, and the way God sees what is in our hearts, and doesn't take us at "face value." :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

AmericanHwyFlower
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

A.R.
Yorba Linda CA
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  9:20:03 PM  Show Profile
wow.... i just happned onto this thread... so glad I did!!

Cherish Each Day
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  9:55:33 PM  Show Profile
Glad I found this thread. Been needing some "refreshers"! : )

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  8:02:18 PM  Show Profile
Welcome A.R and Jackie! Feel free to post on whatever you would like, we are always open to new topics of discussion:)
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  8:03:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and thank you Nini:) You are so sweet!
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  11:05:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies, soo sorry, just getting caught up again with posts! I am visiting family and taking care of some legal matters while back home.
I LOVE all that each of you have taken the time and caring to share here. It has helped me a lot.

It is so great to have these posts to share with each of you and learn together!

We are all of diff faiths and backgrounds, but Christ is our

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  11:10:57 AM  Show Profile
Sorry! I am on a computer I am not used to and I posted above too early. Must have hit a key that I didnt mean to, lol! Anyway, our common thread is the Lord Jesus. He is the Rock that we each share and the truth we hold onto and strengthen one another with.

So gratefull for each one of you farmgirls.

God bless your day, Linda

www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  11:34:31 AM  Show Profile
Amen, Linda! AMEN! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  8:27:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Linda, hugs, just big bear hugs for you.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  8:33:00 PM  Show Profile
Ladies I just need to share the struggles I'm dealing with right now. I do believe that all things happen for a reason, and that the Lord is walking with us at all times. Believe me I've spent my time running away in the opposite direction. In the past 20 years I've totally given my heart to God. Even when things have gone bad I knew he had something better planned for me. Since DH was laid off 1 1/2 years ago, it's been really hard. He's not been able to find work, will be taking early retirement, while losing several hundred $$$. But we have to do something. In the last month it seems as soon as we think we will survive, another financial problem shows up. We are both in charge of my mothers needs. And we only have one car. So when or if one of us can find some work, that leaves the one taking care of her without transportation. I pray for Gods guidance and to show us what to do. Each time that we have made a decision, feeling it was the right way, everything falls apart. We have had to give up our life, dental, vision insurance. And we know that we are not alone in all of this, there are people all over our country struggling. But right now I'm having a really hard time going on. At times I just want to give up because we just keep getting behind. Mom is helping us out with buying grocery's and meds. But we can't let her go on with that. I'm just at the point where I don't know what to do. I didn't mean to just lay this all out to you and make it sound like poor boohoo me. I'm just asking for prayers and any suggestions that we may not be seeing. Being the age we are, it's really scary! I love this site and it helps alot, and I'm searching everyday through out the bible for guidance. But I'm beginning to become numb, with my head just spinning with all the stress. I'm sorry if this is not the place to write this, it's not really connected to the bible study. Forgive me if I've taken up space where I don't belong. Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  8:57:16 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, never be afraid to post something with us:) We're all here for you, and when you need to vent, don't feel afraid to. My family has been through some tough times, and we are still going through them, but I know deep down that Jesus is watching us, and His plan will give us peace one day. Love ya sister:)
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  8:59:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh Brenda, God bless you. This is the place to lay your burdens before the Lord... and us. I think the study and the Christian farmgirls lines have just become one. It makes no never mind. I wish I had answers, but through this, I would like to offer a prayer...Dear Lord, we come to you in your wonderful name that you have said is the name above all names and bring to you your child Brenda, also her husband , mother and other family members. You know their beginnings and you know their ends. You know when Brenda rises up and when she lays down. You have breathed into her the breath of life and you have said that we are to cast all our burdens on you, because your load is easy and your burden light. We also know that you own the cattle on a thousand hills, and that you have said that you will supply ALL our needs. We also know that you hold her, her family and their situation in the palm of your hand. Because you are a lamp unto our feet, I ask you along with Brenda and those reading this that you would show them the way which they should go and what you would have them do. I ask that you would make it abundantly clear what they are to do about their lives and their finances. Lord, show them that you are victor over all, and we as part of the Body stand in the gap to pray for Brenda, so that you give her a peace that will pass all understanding. We don't know what she should do...but you do. It has been a long hard dry spell for them Lord, let them see that you are filling their need at every turn. You have said that whatever we ask in your name, and that it is your will, that will you do. So we ask this in your most powerful name. Amen.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  9:24:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Brenda - no apologies needed. That's what we're here for! I wish I had the answers, I really do. I can only imagine the stress you've been under, and that breaks my heart. This is a terrible struggle, to be sure; and I can tell how hard it is for you to reach out to us and share this burden. Please don't ever feel bad about that. We need each other - ESPECIALLY in times like this! It sounds like you are doing everything possible to meet not only your own needs, but also those of your Mother. God sees you, Brenda. He sees you, and you fill His heart with great joy... He does hear your cry, and He will remember you, I can promise you that!

Pray this Psalm, will you?

Psalm 23; A Psalm of David:

1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Pray it over and over and over until not only do you know it, but your heart fully believes it, okay?

In times like this - times when we want to be fully assured of security and provision - I think it's hardest to let go and trust God. But you can't be afraid of what you see - you have to have to have to trust in Who you know! All I can think of is that saying, "It is usually darkest before the dawn." We just need to cling to Him in faith during that cold, dark, scarey night - because He is truly with us, and His light is there to guide us, even if we can't seem to "see" it. I have been where you are - of course it was at a different point in my life and under different circumstances, but I truly understand that dark night and the grip of fear that can seize your soul when you feel helpless and lost; when you're losing hope and strength, wearied by the realization that you really can't fix everything yourself. The thing is, He never expects us to do it ourselves - we need to press into Him. I know how trite that must sound right about now - like you haven't been doing that already! But it's the truth - because even when we can't see Him, He truly is working behind the scenes on our behalf.

Remember Psalm 23:4: "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." WHENEVER I am at a place similar to the place you are now in, I pray the 23rd Psalm in its entirety over and over and over... For David truly knew the LORD and he of all people knew the trial of fear and uncertainty. But he pressed into the Lord, Brenda, and his prayer increased his faith, and he was able to write this beautiful Psalm as a tribute to our Heavenly Father. What a blessing it has been throughout the ages! What a blessing it has been to me and my family! We can trust in the promises of our God, even if we cannot see Him, He is there and He is Trustworthy and True! Our God loves us so much that He sent His only begotten Son to save us... what is it for Him, then, truly, to meet our every need - from the least to the greatest? He loves us, Brenda! He will provide! In Matthew 6:26, Jesus really wants us to believe and understand this: "Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?"

As Claudia pointed out in the Christian Farmgirl strain (p. 20 - about half way down the page!): Deuteronomy 31:8: "The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." He goes BEFORE you AND will be WITH you, Brenda. I love that discussion because we all have that difficulty with the heart vs. the head, with wanting to control things beyond our control, and with trusting God instead of trusting what we see around us.

We're your sisters in Christ, Brenda; we love you, and we understand - and we're here to lift you up in prayer, sister - always! I know there are no quick fixes, but there is one clear answer: have faith. Trust. Believe. And when you feel you're losing ground, press into the Lord even more, and lean on us, your farmgirl sisters to lift you up in prayer and help carry you through.

I love you, dear friend. I hate that you are going through this, but I'm going to be praying fervently on your behalf. I know with all my heart He has a plan for you and your husband. Just try to hang tight - good things are on the way! I believe that with all my heart!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  9:34:24 PM  Show Profile
I pray in agreement with you in your beautiful, beautiful prayer, Claudia! God bless you! I'm printing it up right now! See, Brenda? It's going to be okay!

Jesus promises us in Matthew 18:18: ""I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.:

And He says in Matthew 18:19: "Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven"

And again in Matthew 18:20 He says, "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

So there you have it! :)

May your heart and mind be at peace knowing He will do what He promises!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  06:00:18 AM  Show Profile
Standing in agreement in prayer! Ladies, having met Brenda and her DH, I can tell you they are 2 of the nicest, most fun people! Their friendship has become such a joy and treasure to me, as well as my family. Brenda, as you know, we are joining in prayer for you. I dont have any 'pat' answers or pearls of wisdom as to why? But I do know that He sees the amazing growth in you and the daily desire you have to know Him more. There must, there will come His light at the end of this dark time. I pray for strength, wisdom, comfort and encouragement during these times that you both are going thru. Love you guys!! Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  4:08:02 PM  Show Profile
Ladies thank you so much for your prayers and concern. I'm just not good at telling others my stuggles. I'm usually the one helping others out. In handing everything over to God is easy for me to tell others. For I do believe that he will work all out for them. But when it comes to myself, I question! I know he sees us and hears us and knows whats in our heart. But when you feel theres no chance of anything improving, I just wish I knew how long its going to take. We are losing out on all the once in a life times for our grandkids, it really hurts. DH is struggling also with depression because he feeds he's not helping to get us ahead. I keep telling him if there are no jobs he can't do anything about that. I have seen that over this time that both of our personality's have changed. We seem to be distanting ourselves. Which neither one of us wants. It's just when your both together 24 hrs a day and can't afford to get out, it just begins to really work on you. But, we are going to try your suggestions and pray, pray, pray. It is a blessing having you here to come to. Last night as I was reading your post, I just sat here and cried, knowing how loving and sincere you all are. Please keep us in your prayers as we continue for his guidance. Hugs, Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  4:16:14 PM  Show Profile
Brenda...just continuing to pray for you....that he gives you beauty for ashes and restores the years that the cankerworm has stolen.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Family Matters: Previous Topic Bible Study #2- Called By God Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page