1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  4:22:41 PM  Show Profile
Claudia thank you!!

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  09:03:38 AM  Show Profile
Ladies what scripture are we on now. Need to get back to the subject. Are we all ready to move on???

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  09:50:57 AM  Show Profile
Yes Brenda...we were in 1 Samuel...about Samuel appointing David king. I agree that if there is nothing to add, we should move on...but maybe we should give people a chance to share anymore gems if they can.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  10:51:30 AM  Show Profile
Will read up on 1 Samuel this evening. What a joy and blessing all of you are!

Thank you, Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  09:06:22 AM  Show Profile
One more thought about David being appointed by God. Saul became depressed and fill with evil spirits, after the spirit of the Lord departed him for David. I struggle with this, and the fact that evil can be subject to God's control. (I read back through all the postings and I see there was a comment on this in the very beginning of our study of 1 Samual 16, so I am sorry for being redundant when eveyone is ready to move on).

Twice in my readings (verse 15 and 16) it refers to evil spirits "from God". I know that God has control over all things, and He used this evil spirit as a way for David and Saul to grow close and become friends.....David played his music to soothe Saul. God used this evil for good, but is it not interesting that God allowed the evil to enter Saul?

The first post on this section is right. We must be so careful and pray to God that any evil that we are open to be under the subject of the Lord. He alone will bring it to right.

Sorry, on to Isaiah 43:1-7!!!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Apr 10 2011 09:15:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  3:38:09 PM  Show Profile
Shirley no problem. When we still have questions, we all must stop and listen and see what we can do to help out. I too do not like hearing God brings on bad things, He's our Loving God. But I'm sure there are times that to get our attention, he has to make a few changes along the way. But please don't go by what I'm saying, maybe the other girls can help us out. Hugs,Brenda

Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  4:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I don't think God ever causes bad things to happen. He has a good and perfect will for each of us. I do believe the God has complete and total power over evil. Remember in Job, Satan approaches the throne, and had to obtain permission to strip Job of what he had, and God specified guidelines as to what Satan could do(he was not to take Job's life). Then when Jesus cast the legend of demons out of the man who lived in the tombs, they begged Jesus not to send them to the abyss, but let them enter the swine instead. Evil is in this world. Because of our sinful nature, selfishness, or futile attempts to be our own person, do what we want, or try to figure out what's "best for us"without seeking God's will, we get hurt. Bad things happen. I know there are times in our lives, we get distracted or side tracked. There are times we get absorbed in ourselves, what we are doing, or what we have accomplished. Our Father is a gentlemen, He will knock at the door of our hearts. The Holy Spirit will send you that still quiet voice that speaks to our heart, and when or if we do not respond, God will ALLOW evil things to happen, bad things, that hurt us deeply sometimes to get our attention, but He Himself doesn't cause evil. God can and does permit and then use evil to teach us, and honestly, when you pull through the painful dark time, and you look around, and realize you weren't alone, and our precious Father was watching over you, how good does it feel, to bask in His security refreshed and redirected?
That is my take on it, I'd love to hear others...?

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  5:15:48 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Annette! I agree with what you have said. I think we must remember that God created us to have a relationship with Him. That is the bottom line. If we are going in the opposite direction, He will do whatever he must to restore us to what is right. Adam & Eve walked and talked with God in the evenings. It was their sin that stopped their visits and God had to drive them from the Garden. God has given each of us freewill. We set ourselves up to sin and fail. We know the lines we should not cross. I believe that Saul knew that God had chosen another because Saul did not obey God in battles along the way. Jealousy is a terrible spirit that inhabits people and "eats" at ones very soul. We have a choice. It's like a Mom baking cookies and saying...no cookies. The choice is ours..to eat or not to eat...that is the question. Also, the Old Testament might have had a different meaning to the Jews at the time, & may have been interrpreted differently also. We interpret things only by our understanding or experiences. So.. who knows if there was another understanding at the time. It can be confusing to read scripture. We may interpret as horrific to have a "heap of burning coals on ones head," instead of realizing you were sending home with someone fire to heat anothers house on a cold night. That is why, as Annette said, it is important to pray before we read scripture, so the Holy spirit may lead us into all truth.

Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  5:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I just also wanted add the scripture say an evil spirit "from God". It doesn't say an evil spirit "of God", because as we all know God HAS NO EVIL. When the anointing left Saul, there was a void. When we have God in our lives, we are whole. His Spirit *fills*us. Or back then, there was the intament anointing. When Gods anointing left Saul, darkness, or evil, took its place. I've always parallel this to the illustration of a room brightly lit. Even the corners are glowing from the intensity of the lighting. When the light is turned off, darkness fills the room. When what was wholly good, departed, evil, what we are by birth slips in to replace it. I don't know if that parallel is correct, it is just how I interpreted this passage.
Claudia, I adore your insight. Even this site is an answer to prayer about interpreting and applying scripture. We all have questions, some in other areas than the other sisters. How great to talk, study, help, and be helped."Forsake not the assembling of yourselves together", has been applied here, too. I love mjf, and you ladies are so special to me.

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  7:28:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! In theology, we watched a video of a rabbi giving a speech. He said that bad things happen for two reasons:
1)God gave people free will, and sometimes that free will causes people to make bad decisions that will harm others.
2)God made natural laws, and natural laws can't tell the difference between a bad person and a good person.
But there are also things that God gives us to deal with these things:
Good people, intelligence to seek answers, and strength
We have to choose to enter into a relationship with God, and use our free will to make good, holy choices.
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  7:53:20 PM  Show Profile
Amen! I love all of your answers, each one giving a new insight into what I was questioning in my heart. When I read those verses, they gave me a startle....again. I love this thread/topic. I am finding great peace in reading not only the scriptures but your thoughts.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  09:08:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls! I hope you'll forgive my absence - I've got SO much to accomplish by this weekend. I really want to share some of my thoughts with you on this subject of the Call of David, but I want to have time to do it - I don't want to just rush through it. I will do it soon! I love all of your insights and wisdom, and am very excited about this particular Scripture study!

I really want to just add a little bit to Annette's response to Jean's concern about the evil spirit Saul had that was "sent by God." First, always remember that God is not evil and does not make it happen. As James 1:17 tells us,"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning." ALL good things come from God... I read it with the emphasist that, "every GOOD gift, and every PERFECT gift is from above..." I also read here that He is the Father of lights (not of darkness) and He is unchanging. When we turn from Him and sin as Saul was prone to do, He withdraws from us; we lose His covering; we lose His "light." But He is still there shining - we must find our way back to Him! That's why we can trust Deuteronomy 3:16: "Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, He that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee." He will not leave nor forsake us! How much more blessed assurance do we have of this promise knowing that Jesus' Holy Spirit dwells within our hearts - as Christians, we know that God will not take His Holy Spirit from us! We must remember what Paul tells us in Romans 8:9-11: "You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of His Spirit who lives in you." How sad that we never see Saul crying out to God for help or direction or mercy or forgiveness... He just tries to figure it all out in his own "wisdom" rather than seeking GOD's wisdom for his circumstances... Later, we even see him at one point consulting witches to raise Samuel's spirit for answers about his circumstance - yuck! All he truly had to do was turn to God for help! David turned to God even in the midst of some of the greatest sins he committed, and God love him! But Saul, not having a heart for God, never did that. So tragic!

Annette - you're absolutely right: when we sin, God is a gentleman; not forcing Himself upon us, He withdraws His Spirit, and that leaves us open to evil. In other words, evil moves right in whenever there is an opening. Now, the Jewish people understood (as we do) that everything is under God's control, or He "allows" everything. They (we) also understood that God "sends" us things in two specific ways: directly or passively. So when the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, they understood that God withdrew from him. Saul no longer had the Lord's covering. That gave evil a great opportunity for destruction, and a distressing spirit entered him, filling the void. In that sense, the Jews would have seen that the evil spirit was "from God," or "allowed" by Him (passively given), simply because He withdrew His covering from Saul as a result of Saul's repeated sin and negligence of calling out to God for mercy and forgiveness. God was not able to work through Saul, so He chose David, a "man after His own heart" to lead His people instead. This is all summed up in 1 Samuel 13:14: "But now your kingdom will not endure; the LORD has sought out a man after his own heart and appointed him ruler of his people, because you have not kept the LORD’s command.” God did not bring evil upon Saul, or send Saul an evil spirit; Saul brought this upon himself.

Sometimes the words which were used to express an understanding back in those days don't translate clearly into our own language. This is such an important example of how (1) we really need to read our Bible to understand the Scriptures, and (2) we really need to delve into what was meant or being communicated by the original writers vs. taking the words at face value from the perspective of today's understanding. For example, I have a friend who recently visited with us and was completely torn up about something a televangelist said. When we delved into the Scriptures, her whole perspective of God's love for her, and her understanding of the Scripture that was raised to her attention, was changed. If she hadn't done that, or if she hadn't had someone help her with it, she might have taken the erronous teaching of that televangelist (and I use the evangelist part of that term very loosely in this case) to heart and her faith might have been ripped away from God because of misunderstanding.

I'm SO thankful that we have this place to talk about our fears or concerns. So many times I'm seeing all the same questions and concerns and understandings that I have or have had. I learn so much from all of you, and I am also often prodded to "dig deeper" to help clarify things I don't understand. I do realize that we are not Bible scholars and that we are prone to error - me, especially! - but it's such a blessing to see God's Holy Spirit alive and vibrant and at work in our midst, drawing us nearer to Him and His truths. It's just SO exciting to me to see the depth of His Word unfold through our discussions! He does just as He promises in Matthew 18:20: "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." How exciting that, as we gather together here, we can find Him right here in our midst! Hi, Jesus! Lead us, Lord! Reveal Yourself and the Father to us through Your Holy Spirit, for our hearts CRAVE you - just as a parched souls in the desert crave water! YOU are our LIVING WATER - our WATER OF LIFE! Without you, we would perish! AMEN!

Love and hugs and many blessings -

Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Apr 12 2011 09:13:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  09:47:19 AM  Show Profile
Nini I love the words you use to explain scripture. I always fill refreshed after your postings. Thank you so much with sharing with us. I don't post real often because I question myself how to word what I'm thinking or feel. And then I'll read something you have said and the light bulb ons on. Again thank you. Hugs,Brenda

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  10:21:37 AM  Show Profile
I'm anxious to read what Nini has to say about the scripture of David, but there were 2 points I would like to make. She brought up Saul's use of witches to try and achieve an understanding and wisdom of what was going on. Isn't it just like us though?...or maybe it is just me...but I may not call it witches...but something with more of cloak of disception. What if you are really in a situation, worrying and fretting like crazy to the point of it making you sick. Ever been there? I have...some biggy ones several times. Now it is Joel without a job, maybe losing his house, or my daughter Nikki telling us last night that instead of a year, she will be moving to Tampa in June, or a marriage not working, or just not enough funds to pay a huge bill, or maybe a kid who is testing your patience in running with the wrong crowd, or the loss of your crown that has made you a king by the will of the people! Sometimes when we pray, we expect or hope that God answers immediately, and when the days go on and on without a change, our minds can do some strange and stupic things. We take back our problems instead of leaving theim in the hands of God, and we seek other sources to supply answers (sometimes, it may mean we are to do something under God's dirction)but we run frantically around seeking an answer. Someone said the following to me many years ago...."God is the God of 11:59..(12.00 being the deadline)...He is never early, but never late." All I am saying is that it is hard to wait. Don't condemn Saul too quickly, because some of us may have that as our middle name. We MUST try to hold fast to God and remember the saying that "Tribulation worketh patience."
#2 As I was reading the posts talking about the Holy Spirit, I had a picture in my head. We each have the Holy Spirit, within us because of our profession of Jesus as Lord and Saviour, but as I read I saw the Holy Spirit as little drops of rain falling on the pavement...just a few drops, not touching each other. But as we were proclaiming Christ, reading His Word and sharing with each other, these drops grew, spread out and touched each other making the pavement totally wet with that glorious smell of fresh rain on a hot pavement. Thank you Lord for the spreading and movement of your Holy Spirit!

Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  10:47:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Claudia, what a precious illustration!

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  11:03:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh Claudia I wish I could make my words work like you do. It seems that when I start talking or trying to explain something I'm feeling or thinking, that little monster,of doubt, steps in, and I am afried to put what is on my mind.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  11:17:06 AM  Show Profile
BEAUTIFUL illustration, Claudia! I love that! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  2:49:39 PM  Show Profile
Thank you! Brenda, you named it correctly. It is a little monster... or a big giant, as inhabited the Promised Land. Joshua knew they could be overtaken if they just proceeded into the Land. (Joshua 1) God gave you ideas, a mind to think, and a mouth to speak. There are thoughts that God wants to use from us all to build up the Body of Christ. The Lord spoke through John the Revelator...."for those who have ears..let them hear...". In doing the hearing, one must do the speaking. Step out in faith and realize you have nothing to fear here. You can start small if you chose, but share a bit. It will become familiar and easier to do. Remember the Spirit as raindrops. As each grow and stretch out over our land, we may through the Spirit, see a conversion and a Spiritual awakening. So share! Who knows what God has in store for us.

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  12:24:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies, Have been busy and just got caught up reading. I love all that you have shared and said. What great insights everyone has!! How blesses we are to have all of you sharing!

Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  1:22:04 PM  Show Profile
How about us moving on to Isaiah and see what it has to say. I know Nini has some thoughts she would like to share about David, but maybe she can post those despite the fact that we are in Isaiah. What do you all think?

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  1:27:09 PM  Show Profile
I'm ready to move on, and will also welcome Nini addition when she finds time to share.

Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  2:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Ready, and excited!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  6:22:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness - please - do move on! I have been so overwhelmed here on my end! I'm going to need a few more days to catch up here - so please, just go go go! I love reading what you all have to say and will be checking in from time to time. I'm sorry! I never meant to hold anyone up!!!! Eghads! I'm so sorry!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  6:43:03 PM  Show Profile
Nini...you are not holding anyone up. We are moving on, and will eagerly await a post. Hope all is well. So don't feel badly. Think we all have overflowing plates and it just takes a few days to get it in gear and out of park!

Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  6:44:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Nini, I don't think you held anyone up. We had like three discussions going on at once. I think its just time to move on, and while we do so, we can still read what you had to say, when you have time.(((hugs)))

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Family Matters: Previous Topic Bible Study #2- Called By God Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page