Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise
 We need your help with our cover! UPDATE!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic We need your help with our cover! UPDATE! Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  07:30:59 AM  Show Profile
I vote without the bar!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

SRhea
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Sue
San Angelo TX
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  07:39:45 AM  Show Profile
Without the bar.

In one of your magazines you wrote about paper towels and I believe it was under Simple Solutions. I have been trying to find it again to reread it and don't remember what issue it was in. Is it on the website?
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13586 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13586 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  08:41:06 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
WITHOUT!!!

Thanks!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BasicBliss
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

4 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  9:04:46 PM  Show Profile
I like having a vote. Like others I prefer the look of no bar, but the bar does make the text easier
to read.
--Victoria

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?
Go to Top of Page

sissysquilts
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

sissy
wa
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  11:28:41 AM  Show Profile
without the bar :)

"The good stars met in your horoscope. Made you of spirit,fire and dew"
Robert Browning
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  1:21:54 PM  Show Profile
It isn't about the bar--it's about overall impressions.

I gave myself a little test to determine my impressions.
First, I read the bar on Vol. 10, #4.
Next, I read the article titles list on the (non-barred) cover below it; Vol. 10, # 2.
Then I turned away and wrote down any article titles I could remember.

Checking back, I remembered more titles from the barred cover than the open cover.

However,

I repeated this test with the next two: Vol. 10, #6 and Vol. 9 #5.
This time the article titles on the cover without the bar stuck with me better.
Why?
I think it has much to do with the fact that the rich backdrop of the farm field gave an uncluttered background for the article titles to stand out.
I would have descended the titles differently (not placed "Invest in Happy Cows" exactly next to MJ) but overall, this is may be the richest, most effective cover I have seen from MJF. (I bought it).
Another reason I remembered more titles from this cover must be that I stared at this cover MUCH longer. It is beautiful in many, many ways. The title bar is glorious and its color and trim is in fine harmony with the image below/ the image the issue wishes to covey, I think. All the fonts on this cover are also well-chosen and nicely sized too.

The other open cover (Vol. 10, #2) is, in my opinion, far too cluttered.
That cover would actually be better served with a bar.
Only the right side of the image (MJ sitting atop a nice old chest, looking pleasant and pretty, holding a treasured book next to a wonderful bouquet) has power.
The rest (including the street sign in the strongest part of the image) is clutter.
The overall impression is that we are closer to discards than decor here and all is discordant since the lead title is "Journal your Dream Farm" (not "Decor from Discards").
With a bar in place, "Journal your Dream Farm" (A positive and enticing lead title) would fit with the image (sans the street sign).

The bar on Vol. 10, #6 is probably the best choice for this foreshortened, strong close-up. In my memory test, I'll bet if I had matched this with any other cover (other than the rich brown farm field I so love) I would likely find myself remembering more article titles from this cover. I think this cover is really good.

In general though, while the bar provides an easy way to grab a reader's attention, I rarely enjoy them.
I appreciate the thoughtfulness that produced the cover on Vol. 9, # 5.

The cover with the Jane Deere hat--because there is a nice, big swath of green behind Jane Deere--might lend nicely to having no bar. I'd have to see it without the bar to know for sure but I think so.
But even with that, I'm not sure I would like this cover. This is my least favorite one of the four.
MJ is often successful with big hats and little eye contact--but she usually offers the possibility of eye contact--and that may be the difference. I had a visceral feeling against this cover at first sight.

In summary, I think the success of your covers goes much deeper than "Bar or no Bar." It is an overall feeling that I think you are very successful in capturing most of the time.

I like a lot of the comments in this thread and yes, the bar does make the article titles easier to read.
But just as typing isn't the same thing as writing, cover clarity is not the same as cover interest.

I took the memory test to gauge impressions--because impressions sell magazines.

I hope this is of some help to you. You certainly are wise to poll readers in this way. It shows a great deal of care on your part--and I applaud you for it.

Warmly,

Karen Wales

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  2:44:16 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Lady Woodworker - thanks for your very thoughtful, concise, and detailed evaluations of our covers!

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  2:49:45 PM  Show Profile
Okay, girls, here's the moment of truth. Pick only one of these as the cover you would buy on a newsstand. Tell us why. Thanks!

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13586 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13586 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  2:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Carol,
I pick #2 . . .
- it is without the bar but the titles are still listed in an easy-to-read manner and they aren't obscuring the picture of MJ
- the picture of MJ doesn't look like it's "squeezed" onto the cover as it does on #1

Thanks for the opportunity!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  2:56:52 PM  Show Profile
I would pick cover two, all the info is clearly lined up and easy to scan if I was looking to buy a magazine I had never read before. Looking at issues of mags that I pick up just to check them out, the clarity of the contents enclosed is always what will make me open my wallet to purchuse.
Go to Top of Page

spaciousplace
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Mary
Blue Bell PA
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  8:24:52 PM  Show Profile
Cover 2, for the same reasons Ceejay48 and adnama listed. :)

Mary :)

Farmgirl Sister #378

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  8:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I just received my first issue but after looking at the pics above I really like it with the bar...but on your second poll, I like the cover # 2....so now I am tore..lol....good luck deciding...Penny

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

So Keep Smiling!

Edited by - Acelady02 on Jul 28 2011 8:36:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

breadpainting
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Sunya
Stuttgart AR
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  9:55:07 PM  Show Profile
Much easier to read with the bar but "prettier" without. Maybe the text could just have more contrast?

Why are you trying so hard to fit in when you are meant to stand out?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  07:07:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would pick Number 2.

I loved the wider picture and more open feeling of the picture. The words were a nice contrast with the cover and were set in an area where there was less background noise making them much easier to read.

Cover 3 looked a little sloppy in comparision and the words weren't formatted nicely. Some of them run over and some say in line. And cover 1 while the words look nice, I too feel that it is squeezing MaryJane from the cover and makes the picture almost feel like an afterthought. The bar is too noticiable.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  07:11:37 AM  Show Profile
Definitely #2. You get the entire photo without being squeezed out by the bar, yet it is very easy to read through the subject items.

If you had to go with a bar, try maintaining the whole photo cover, but for the bar area, just tint that section of the photo a little lighter until you get the contrast you need to make the font pop out adequately.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  07:24:37 AM  Show Profile
I vote for #2 as well. Organized and easy to read, but no bar. Best of both worlds!

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com
http://farmmade.com/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=9&p=catalog&mode=vendor&vid=66

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  09:00:16 AM  Show Profile
I would pick #2. For these "old eyes" the contrast is so much better. Has anyone seen some of this new gray print that is so hard to read? I make mistakes with them all the time. I like #2.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6480 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6480 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  11:03:52 AM  Show Profile
I like #2 as I think the white bar is just out of place and takes away from the overall look of the magazine.
Thank you.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  11:43:43 AM  Show Profile
I like with the bar.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

SRhea
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Sue
San Angelo TX
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  12:20:57 PM  Show Profile
Without the bar.

In one of your magazines you wrote about paper towels and I believe it was under Simple Solutions. I have been trying to find it again to reread it and don't remember what issue it was in. Is it on the website?
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  12:43:39 PM  Show Profile
I like the bar, gives you a preview of what's inside...

Be the change...

http://littlehomesteadinboise.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mndreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Vicky
Popple Creek MN
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  1:11:59 PM  Show Profile

~Vicky~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God. ~~Ronald Reagan

Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  1:38:09 PM  Show Profile
I like 2

Farmgirl Sister # 241
www.thebarnchick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  7:48:08 PM  Show Profile
I pick #2, I like the orderly list of the bar and without the color background background

the first crowded Mary Jane
the last one also crowded Mary Jane even worse than the first.

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus ...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
My Etsy ...Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures ...http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  9:19:40 PM  Show Profile
I like cover #2. It is clean and simple but still gives the viewer a quick reference to what's inside the issue.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic We need your help with our cover! UPDATE! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page