Page: of 2

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  10:00:55 PM  Show Profile
Last year when we moved into our new house we bought a new clothes washer. It's not a front loader but it is a High Effeciency. I absolutely hate it. It does not get my clothes clean and I wind up washing things multiple times. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm blaming the fact that it uses less water and doesn't agitate the clothes. I'm threatening to sell it and bring my old washer up from the old house! What is the point of using less water if you wind up washing things 2 or 3 times just to get them clean?

An example was a load of whites that I put in the recommended HE detergent and a cup of bleach and I still wound up with stains on all my dishcloths and towels!

Mines a Maytag. Anybody else with this problem?

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  05:51:32 AM  Show Profile
Yes indeed I had the same problem when I used my Maytag front loader. I do my laundry by hand with a james washer now and I feel it gets the clothes cleaner. But when I used the machine they would still look dirty AND come out of the washer with new stains. I called the repair man who came out and had to clean all the parts of the washer because of soap build up. I was using the HE recommended soap but it still was to much. So I switched to soap nuts or a really mild detergent and I never put more than one tablespoon in and it worked! The clothes came out clean. The repair man said that is common that almost everyone uses to much soap or too heavy of a soap. No tide. It may take a while for you to get the build up out of the machine so your clothes are clean again. But use very, very little soap, even less than they call for. And try running vinegar through the machine to help break down what is in there. Hope this helps.

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  2:04:59 PM  Show Profile
We have LG front loading washer/dryer combo, and they're great- I know a lot of people have problems with their HE's, but ours work awesome :) They also sing to me when they're done so I know to rotate. Everything from cloth diapers to regular clothes to whatever else I can find goes in and comes out clean.

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  2:37:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips Jane, I'll give it a try to clean the machine since it does seem to be doing a worse job of late. I did switch to the HE detergents but am using the recommended amount so will try using less. I've been thinking I'd make some of the home made soap that has been so popular on this site and I know all the ladies say to only use a very small amount. And I'll try putting vinegar in for the rinse and see if that doesn't help. I had a fridge repairman out a few days ago and he suggested I use the "bulky" setting as that uses more water. I haven't used the machine since then so think I'll just incorporate all of these suggestions on my next load.

Natalie, the only other problem I had ever heard about with HE machines was them smelling of mildew if you left the lids closed. I made the mistake of leaving some clothes in the machine too long before throwing them in the dryer and I too had a real funky smell that took a while to get rid of.

Anybody else have issues?

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  2:47:55 PM  Show Profile
oh yes, BIG time.........had a front loading May Tag when they were fairly new.....and the odor coming from that machine was bad......so now I have a top loading HE......better....but I do clean it as needed with that special detergent they sell to get the machine clean and smelling ok.

Beverly

There's no place like home
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  2:57:30 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone with a front-loading washing machine leave the door open when not in use? I found that not doing so built up a terrible musty odor because of all the moisture. Not it is always open. However, I do have some mold in between the rubber gasket and the drum. I wipe it out, but would like to know some of the real easy methods to keep it clean.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  3:07:23 PM  Show Profile
Betty, I leave the door open on my front loading washing machine to avoid mildew too. I don't have any mold though. It could be because I use vinegar as my fabric rinse.

I love my front loading Samsung washer. We've had it a year now and it has worked beautifully.

Dawn in IL

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Jan 15 2012 2:53:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  5:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
The washer guys at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc said that you should leave your door open as much as possible because it does get mildew or mold. The vinegar should help, but leaving the door open will prevent most of the problem.

I am not impressed with Maytag. The quality isn't there anymore. I had better luck with Kenmore or Roper.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  3:32:54 PM  Show Profile
We leave the door open on the washer, and I do clean it with vinegar once a quarter.

We did have issues when family stayed here and used about triple the soap they were supposed to, but it is a-ok with people who understand HEs :)

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  1:59:13 PM  Show Profile
If your washer does not have a dasher in it, you cannot fill it with alot of clothes because it will not do its job properly. Cut the loads back and see if it doesn't work better. Just because it does not have a dasher does not mean you can put more clothes in. This is from our appliance dealer. The thing I don't like about the HE washers, yes it uses less water, but it takes more time to wash the clothes. I have a front loading LG. If I put it on a normal cycle, it takes an hour to do a wash. I wash mine on a short cycle. So regarding the length of time it takes under a "normal" cycle vs the water amount, what are you really saving especially when most electric grids in this country are run on coal power or nuclear power?

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  3:09:02 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Looks like I'm not the only not sold on HE machines. Lorena I have tried reducing the amount of clothes I put in and that didn't seem to do much. I agree, where is the saving when you have to run twice as many loads? Twice as much water, twice as much electricity. I still haven't tried the vinegar and using less soap yet but will soon as the pile is getting deep! The only time I had an odor problem was when I left the clothes in the washer for several days. But I try to keep the lid up on it just because of the horror stories from MJ farmgirls!

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  6:42:41 PM  Show Profile
I love, love, love my front loader HE (Kenmore). Yes, you MUST, absolutely MUST leave the door open. I did not for a while and black mold was all in the front gasket (EWWW) I didn't know what was causing the smell until one day I got on my hands and knees and slapped a headlight on my head and saw what was going on in the gasket. So, if you read the manual, it does recommend an occasional bleach only cycle with the longest, hottest cycle (mine has a special cycle just for that). I scrubbed off what I could, ran the cycle and no problems ever since and this was probably a year ago. I haven't run another bleach cycle yet (I try not to use bleach), but it's probably time. Still, once a year ain't bad, you know? And yes, you must also take out the clothes very quickly.

Even so, I will never go back to a top loader. I just love this machine, and how dry my clothes come out. I do not have a problem with it leaving clothes dirty unless it is a very tough stain, which I would treat by hand anyway (Zote soap plus a washboard gets out ANYTHING). I usually then dry clothes in the sun and that will also nix most funky smells. :0)

BTW, I use the homemade powder formula and I do use vinegar directly in the tub on the clothes.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  12:41:15 AM  Show Profile
Well I hate my front loader HE> Like someone said here it seems I have to run the loads more and smaller ones. I use the detergent I make myself and a vinegar rinse and I do a cycle here and again that is just a bleach short cycle to clean the machine. I will never buy one again. I hate that I can not stop it when I want and check the laundry because I like to felt wool, I do not like that I can not let some clothes sit and soak either. so when I buy another washer it will not be a front loader or the HE.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  06:28:50 AM  Show Profile
THat's too bad, Beverley! Now, I can stop mine at any time, but it will NOT felt wool and is NOT good if you want to felt, due to the low agitation. Though low agitation is good for your clothes (less lint and wear and tear), there is not enough to properly felt...I found that out the hard way, lol! Had to go to the washboard to accomplish that!

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  08:36:00 AM  Show Profile
Ours is a Kenmore. Second replacement in 11 years but we were really bad about pre loading the tub for a few days prior with clothes before washing which probably put extra strain on it. My mother's front loader lasted well over 30 and got our clothes spankin' clean. But she used bleach for the whites.

I use baking soda in the wash (also helps to kill that mildew smell and animal stink I drag home from work sometimes). and yes, we also keep the door ajar.

Might take a wet rag a few times a week and clean out the rubber gasket. It will collect dirt and grime (and coins) and make the smell worse if not kept in check
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  10:12:00 AM  Show Profile
Anna, you're right, it sure does! Coins get stuck in there and then 'funk' gets in there, too.

From what I read before I purchased ours, just as with everything, some makes/models are very problematic, especially with the mildew issue. Whirlpool Duet comes to mind. They have some sort of internal filter that catches lint/whatever, and you can just imagine the mildew buildup there. At least, that was an issue about 4 years + ago with them.

If anyone is considering an HE, do a lot of research! they are great for some people, but not for others, depending on what you're wanting in a machine.

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  11:27:21 AM  Show Profile
I'll second that!

Consumer Reports can't be beat!
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  08:05:31 AM  Show Profile
I do not like my front loader at all.I fight the mildew problem even though I keep everything open. My clothes often have to be washed 2 times and they are still not as clean as my old whirlpool top loader which finally died at 28 years of service. Oh I miss that washer. I have tried the vinagar, less soap, homemade soap and don't get much better results.I think the homemade soap gives me the better smelling clothes the other ones don't. My towels always have a mildewy smell unless I really load it down with extra baking soda and vinager.
I have owned this new washer for 4 years and it was quite pricey at the time. I want a new toploader but can't bring myself to go into dept quite yet. The worst problem I have is when I wash the jeans. They are so tangled up I can hardly get them apart and they do not spin out very dry. I tried smaller loads and it helped some. I don't know if it the brand I have or what but for 28 years my laundry was good the past 4 years not so good.I have a whirlpool duet. Anyway thank goodness for the homemade laundry soap it has helped the most with the smell.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  09:07:29 AM  Show Profile
I too bought a new top loading wash machine with the water saving feature several months ago and hate it. I didn't even know that machines were now being made with this new "feature". The rinse cycle is the problem. It does not fill up to match the load size and agitates maybe 5 times then dumps the water. Ridiculous. I looked everywhere for a wash machine without this feature after I realized what I had to no avail. Government regulations on water restrictions are the reason for this "new" feature. This is how I have to wash a load: After the wash cycle ends and water is spun out, I reset it to wash so that it will fill up according to the load size and agitate until I reset it to the final spin. By constantly resetting the cycles I can't just put a load on and leave it. If I get distracted and don't reset the cycle it goes through the preset rinse cycle and my clothes come out soapy. Bottom line is I have to run it through another wash cycle without soap to rinse the clothes again! This is not saving water at all. I end up half the time having to rerun a rinse cycle because of this RIDICULOUS "water saving HE feature"!!!! I would give anything to find a wash machine made without it and get rid of the piece of crap I have now. If you can repair your older wash machine I would highly recommend it.
My first wash machine was a Sears Kenmore that lasted 28 years of daily use. The machine I recently replaced was a Maytag that lasted seven years of use only 3-4 times a week. The transmission thingy wore out. When the technician pulled it out it was plastic! It was going to cost approximately $350 to fix with labor. I then made the mistake of just replacing the wash machine with the new model. I didn't know anything about the new water saver feature that was on all the new ones. If I had it to do over again I would have spent the money to have the old one repaired. Big Mistake.

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com

~Trust in the Lord...but row away from the rocks~

Edited by - mommatracy on Jan 25 2012 09:15:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  3:30:01 PM  Show Profile
I wish I could have repaired mine but the drum rusted out and water went all over the floor. Believe me if it could have been repaired it would have.

Tracy you have a top loading machine and it has the water saver too? I thought it was just the front loaders. I wonder if they make a normal washing machine. I may end up with the old fashioned kind like the James washer.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  4:07:50 PM  Show Profile
I too have a NEW HE and it does not get my clothes clean..at first I blamed my husband..lol
glad its not just me (or him)..what a piece of crap these new machines are
my old one really got my clothes super clean..and i use bleach for my whites and they don't look very white and the stains are still there ...so i have to hand scrub or soak just to get the clothes clean,,its like i'm cleaning them to put them in the wash ..now that is just plain wrong
i don't get the funky smell
and this one cost alot more..i really miss my old one..

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  8:48:03 PM  Show Profile
Interesting. When my clothes don't look clean I'm wondering if they didn't get rinsed well and I'm seeing the detergent residue. We've cut way back on the amount we use and also are putting vinegar in a downy ball and it seems to be helping a bit. DH found one of the settings that seems to get a bit more water so our laundrey is improving but I'm still not happy with it. Yes, ours with the water saver feature is a top load also.

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  2:11:59 PM  Show Profile
I have been happy with our front load Bosch. It does take some getting used to at the beginning and I do wipe down the rubber gasket daily and leave the door open when not in use.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  2:56:01 PM  Show Profile
I have had a front loader HE Whirlpool Duet for almost 6 years now and haven't had any problems. I do clean it out after every wash cycle and do a deep cleaning once a month with either bleach or the special HE cleaners they have out now and of course leave the door open all the time. I pretreat the stains on DH's clothes and use my homemade soap and fabric rinse. I'm sorry to hear about all the difficulties you all have had with your HE machines.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  7:18:26 PM  Show Profile
I have been reading through this amazed at all the trouble you girls are having. I also have a Whirlpool Duet and LOVE it. We got the risers underneath so I don't even have to bend over to move clothes from the waster to the dryer, everything is right at the correct height. I can do up to fourteen pairs of jeans in one load, although we rarely have that many. My husband typically puts bleach in his whites but I do not use bleach at all. The clothes get clean, it doesn't take too much detergent, I do wipe off the gasket occasionally to prevent the mildew. We use it daily, two or three loads a day. I use Tide, or sometimes other on-sale detergents. We do NOT use fabric softener in the washer or dryer, I don't know if this makes a difference or not.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Mar 20 2012 7:19:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  1:19:02 PM  Show Profile
When we had our Duet set put into the house, the guy installing the machines was very insistant about how much detergent to use and what kind. He said most people use way too much detergent in the machines which ends up clogging things up and ruining the mechanisims and really doesn't clean the clothes in the end. He advised using the specially made HE detergent, but told him I make my own detergent and use vinegar to rinse. He was pleased with that. He told me it's not the suds that clean the clothes and you don't need a lot of suds (like with the homemade). He also was very infactic about cleaning out the machines every month - said that was very inportant. I have never had any problems with my machines or with their cleaning. I too have them mounted on the container stands which saves my back to no end. Just can't say enough good things about my front-loader HE machines. Feel so bad that so many others have not had good experiences with theirs.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic HE washing machine not cleaning Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page