palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2013 :  09:48:43 AM  Show Profile
hi! i wasn't sure where to post this...and i truly love animals!!....but we are having a terrible time with beavers. they are not the cute, cuddley little creatures in children's books. we have a dam at the end of our pond and we have (now) several pipes that run through it for run off when it gets too much rain. these horrible beaver keep blocking them up, every night. in the meantime, they are digging tunnels through our dam and if we don't stop it, i'm afraid it will break through and flood our neighbors homes and the road. we have hired trappers through the state; they have gotten some but since we're near the state park, more just keep coming. we were finally told to just kill them. that is easier said then done. (we sat down there with guns at sunset, when we were told they come out, but have not been lucky) is there anything else besides wood that they eat that maybe we can poison them with? again, i apologize to the animal lovers, but this situation is getting bad and dangerous. if anyone has any ideas, please help!!

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9255 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9255 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2013 :  10:17:58 AM  Show Profile
I am sorry I don't have any advice other than tearing down the dams and doing what you have been doing. I know they can be a real nuisance. I do hope someone can give you some good advice Sue!

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2013 :  2:16:43 PM  Show Profile
have you tried trapping them with underwater traps that you put in front of their holes into their burrows, you can use live traps, (make sure you secure them with chain to something outside of the pound), and when you get one, pull it up and shoot them in the trap, please be very careful, there has been a rash of rabid beavers this year...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

doggiegirl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Laura
Blue Creek Ohio
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2013 :  09:46:53 AM  Show Profile
We had something similar happpen to our pond except we had muskrats... they are extremely destructive... they made a tunnel clear through our dam area and we were losing water like crazy... we found a additive that you pour in the tunnel which sealed the leak... as far as the critter... we fished him out of the pond... I know what you are going through... it is nerve wrecking.... I will ask around our area about beaver problems... and their dens.... doggiegirl
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2013 :  7:24:38 PM  Show Profile
Be sure to get what ever permits and licenses you need to do this. In some cases where if they are destroying commercial crops, you might be able to get permission to get permission from a game warden to do this. To keep culverts from getting blocked, there is a type of cage you might be able to purchase or make out of the same wire mesh that is used to make lobster traps. Not sure what it's called. Make a 3 sided cage and put it over the open end of the culvert like a cap. Weigh down the end underwater. You make have to hire an excavator to dig the beaver mess out.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic beaver trouble Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page