Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 How did you save money this week?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic
Page: of 31

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  06:21:28 AM  Show Profile
Bridge – I made the yogurt on the stove, filled mason jars and then sat them in the oven with the oven lights on for a little over 8 hours. Then into the fridge they went. I will definitely make it again! I can post recipe if anyone wants! I’ve pinned several different DIY Cream of Something soup recipes and I’ve just chosen one at random to try to start with. I plan to make a quadruple batch and then freeze! That’s on the schedule for tomorrow afternoon! Great find on the fabric!

Krista – Great job on the haircut!!! We’ve had some “fun” with giving DS haircuts at home over the years! But lately he has been doing much better! Thank goodness!

I went to our favorite butcher shop on Tuesday afternoon and spent a little over $100 – for that I got 20 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts, 10 lbs of rump roast, 10 lbs of bacon, 3 lbs of bacon pieces, 12 lbs of ground beef and 1 roll of pork sausage.

I spent yesterday afternoon getting everything divvied up into freezer bags and got everything into 3 different freezers. Shopping this way lets us keep our weekly grocery budget super low because we aren’t buying meat!

I’ve been packing lunches, making dinners every night and working steadily on home crafted projects meant as gifts for this Christmas. Trying hard to focus on projects that I already have the supplies for to keep costs low!
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  1:26:05 PM  Show Profile
I saved money by soaking off my acrylic nails. 20+ in my pocket and much healthier once my nails heal. Every time I do this I swear never ever again!!
Hopefully I can stick to it! I have pitiful nails the only time they look pretty are when they are fake.
But I have decided I don't want to put my hard earned money to that each month, plus the chemicals and stuff is not good for me or the worker doing it.

Bridge
Farmgirl Sister #7277
Put your lipstick on & be Happy!
http://stitchthrifty.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  06:44:51 AM  Show Profile
I remember the days of getting acrylic nails - many moons ago! I've just accustomed myself to having plain Jane nails! lol I do still indulge in pedicures in the summertime though!

This weekend I spent a lot of time in the kitchen doing frugal things! I made a quadruple batch of DIY Cream of Mushroom soup for the freezer - ended up with 6 "cans" of soup to freeze.

Also made a triple batch of DIY Refried Beans and froze that in can sizes as well. Got 11 cups out of a 2lb bag of Pinto beans! So 5 1/2 cans basically. The beans were only $1.45 and I had the spices, oil and onion already.

I also made a batch of chocolate chip cookies - about 1/2 of them made it into the freezer and will be used for snacks/lunches. And I made a batch of brownies - will freeze what is left of those tonight.

Then during my grocery shops last week I picked up a 2 lb bag of lemons on sale at Aldi for $1.79 and a 2 lb bag of limes at Meijer for $1.50 after Mperk coupon.

This weekend I washed and juiced them, then froze the rinds for zesting as needed. Got about 18 tablespoons of juice from each bag. Will pop those out of the ice cube trays and get in freezer bags today.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  07:19:53 AM  Show Profile
Jaime, you did good saving money in the kitchen. Takes a little planning and work but it's well worth it. Good Job.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  3:32:42 PM  Show Profile
Wow Jaime....you are inspiring!!
I baked cookies and a whipped cream cake to use up the whipping cream I had in the frig that need to be used before it was a goner.The cake turned out good, I had never made it before just googled cake and heavy cream. It is like a pound cake IMO, I made it in a bundt pan so it would be pretty :)

Bridge
Farmgirl Sister #7277
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  3:38:52 PM  Show Profile
Stopped in Goodwill today and got three dresses and two tops. The dresses were half price from $4.79. I was looking for beads and found a bag with two packages of beads, a lot of glitter paint, grommets, several crochet hooks all for $3.00.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2017 :  8:52:40 PM  Show Profile
I found a cute (child size) purse made from cast off small girls jeans,, $1.50... well I but it and a pair of girls jeans for $1.00 so I can make a 2nd purse... as I have 2 grand~girlies...
I will post pics when I finish the one I am making...
Oh and I stopped by the Dollar store and picked up some goodies to tuck into the purses...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2017 :  3:05:04 PM  Show Profile
I made a menu based on what I had in the cabinet and freezer.

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2017 :  04:47:07 AM  Show Profile
Called and reduced services on DH tv service. Will save $96 a yr.

Bridge
Farmgirl Sister #7277
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2017 :  06:55:07 AM  Show Profile
DH sold DS's old power wheels via Craigslist - $200! :) Which is a steal because it was hardly ever used - perfect condition! It was a gift originally and while DS did love it he's too big for it now.

Working on my menu plans/grocery list for the coming week - will be shopping later today! I think I can trim my list a bit since we didn't end up eating a couple meals I had planned this past week and just did sandwiches instead.
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2017 :  06:27:48 AM  Show Profile
Made up a batch of chili and froze in single portion sizes for my lunches - this really helps me avoid eating out!

This is a small thing, but the chili mix we like to buy (Carol Shelby's) comes with a small packet of salt and one of cayenne pepper. We never use them in the chili but I always clip them open and pour into their matching container from my spice drawer. Waste not, want not!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2017 :  06:36:54 AM  Show Profile
Jaime, good hint on adding packets of S&P and spices to pantry containers.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2017 :  06:52:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sara! I keep a couple of mason jars on the shelves in the pantry just for extra little packets of condiments from restaurants too. I think we have a whole quart jar of Taco Bell mild sauce!

DH asked the lady to give him extra and she filled the bottom of the bag! lol

Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2017 :  01:52:20 AM  Show Profile
I have been enjoying our abundant supply of winter onions in the garden. I have not bought an onion for a long time. Can hardly wait until the asparagus is ready. I am ready to eat out of the garden. Lettuce, cabbage, and potatoes are in. After seeing prices still rising in the grocery store I came home and did a little chant to my garden "Grow baby grow". Our grocery prices are very high. One small grocery store in our town or drive 40 miles to a Walmart or Dillons. Not many choices here.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2017 :  08:03:15 AM  Show Profile
There is nothing as good as your own home grown vegies. They include the extra ingredient - love

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

sargesproudwife
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Christine Marie
NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  08:57:33 AM  Show Profile
This may sound silly, but I've saved money by making my own ironing/linen spray. I looked on Amazon and it was not cheap. Not to me, at least. I also thought about all those nasty chemicals that are put in things like that. I went ahead and made my own! It is simply essential oil (Lavender) and water. I have a post on my blog in case anyone cares to read it. It smells delicious and it works!! Plus, I saved money. :)

Christine, Sister #7295
www.etsy.com/theginghambow
www.theginghambow.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  09:05:57 AM  Show Profile
Good for you. I love the scent of lavender.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2017 :  07:58:49 AM  Show Profile
I have trained myself to always check clearance sections at stores - last night at Walmart I was picking up two new pairs of jeans for DS when my markdown radar started tingling. Found a shelf full of marked down items, kind of hidden in the middle of the boys section. Got a nice haul!

Iron Man T-Shirt $3
Black Plain Sweatshirt $1
Lined Flannel Long Sleeve Button Down $1 !!!!! It was marked $3 so I was QUITE pleased at the register!
Black Knit Caps, two of them for $0.25 each - Do you KNOW how many hats this boy has lost at school????
Black Knit Cap and Gloves Set - Gloves have skeleton design on the back of them so I will save for October next year - $1 for the set!

All items were purchased in sizes that should fit him in the fall. :)

Clearance sections can be a blessing or a curse - you have to resist the urge to buy just to buy at a great price - but when it's something you can really use it can feel like winning the lottery...
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2017 :  09:04:24 AM  Show Profile
Good shopping and planning ahead.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  06:15:36 AM  Show Profile
Everyone remember to shop Easter clearance! I always buy the paper crinkly grass filler at $0.25 a bag -hopefully - in the color green and save for basket filler for Christmas!

I also try to buy items for next year's Easter basket for DS. Hoping to hit Target, Meijer and Walmart today!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  06:27:35 AM  Show Profile
When my son was little I shopped all the after holiday sales. Now I just look for seasonal paper plates and napkins made in the USA.

Go to Top of Page

rachelbee
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Rachel
Carmel IN
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  10:48:53 AM  Show Profile
I used leftover coffee grounds on my new hydrangeas. This also doubles as an unapproved dog treat apparently, as soon as I let him out to pee he went straight to my flowers to try and eat the coffee. Oh well, he didn't get much!

Rachel, #6992
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2017 :  06:12:44 AM  Show Profile
Rachel - Too funny!

I did get to a couple of stores yesterday and got some Easter clearance items. Some things for DS's basket next year. I also got several 3 packs of chapsticks that will work as stocking stuffers for Christmas. And a nice green woven basket for $2.44 that will work great for a Christmas gift basket this year.

I also bought a couple dozen of the fake white "eggs" for a $1 each. I have a wire basket that I plan to fill with these and then place it up as part of my decor on top of the kitchen cabinets :)
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  06:42:27 AM  Show Profile
Refilled the foaming soap dispensers again - love how easy that is! Makes me happy every time I wash my hands!

Had to purchase some new clothes over the weekend - interviewing for a job - and I was able to find all the items I needed at pretty good prices. Plus I earned $20 Kohls Cash. Went back yesterday and got the new shoes I also needed plus saw winter boots - snow boots basically - on clearance. Got a really nice pair for 60% off - they were $20.99 - so for new work shoes and new boots for this fall I only paid $38 after Kohls cash.

My snow boots literally fell apart on me this past winter :( So it was time! And note to self - best time to buy winter boots - April! Who knew! lol
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2017 :  12:22:21 PM  Show Profile
Went to local meat market and got 50 pounds of ground beef for 1.99 a pound.

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 31 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page