Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Gathered Up
 Opportunity to help community develop
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Opportunity to help community develop Next Topic  

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2013 :  05:51:39 AM  Show Profile
I have written grants for our small town in the past. I do it for free. Currently there is an opportunity to write one that could develop a program to teach lost arts like knitting, quilting, bread baking, making butter, self sustainment, etc. This grant also requires a third place is created. This is a place where people feel comfortable enough that it is like a second home and people connect. Up to 200,000 dollars is avaiable. That is a lot of money. Taking this in to consideration, if this was in your town, what would you want? We have the extension agents, seasoned women volunteering to teach classes and a place identified. It could be men activities if some are designed. Trying to thinking out of the box. Need some unusual and creative ideas. Care to help me brainstorm? What would be appealing to kids? I would like to add some more contemporary classes like the art of solar cooking, rocket stoves, maybe earth ovens, etc. Know this post jumps around, but using tablet and mine is not condusive to editing. Getting new laptop soon. Will be easier then to post.

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2013 :  8:40:51 PM  Show Profile
I believe that men would like blacksmithing, woodworking and cooking over a fire.

Women could get into cooking and baking with a wood stove, making brooms, soap and candles. Fiber arts starting from the sheep and going all the way to the garment would be really neat: sheering, washing, carding, spinning, weaving or knitting or crocheting and at last sewing up the parts.

Kids I believe would love to do plant and animal track identification, making maple syrup, beekeeping, gardening and old time games.

Still thinking.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2013 :  03:57:57 AM  Show Profile
Marie, I love your ideas. I am going to start putting the outline together soon. Of course, it will be altered as I go along. We have a gal in our town that could teach the carding, spinning, etc. Camp fire cooking and smoking meats is also a possibility. This could be a lot of fun. We have a large partial of land owned by the city with a dry lake and walking trails that could be utlilized for plant and animal identification. All of your suggestions were excellent. Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2013 :  5:59:30 PM  Show Profile
I know a place that teaches people how to make sausage. I suppose people could start with a live animal and learn how to butcher and process meat, cook it and fill the intestines. I wouldn't do it but I like the idea of moving from the source to the end product.

Cheese and butter making could be done that way too.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2013 :  06:09:00 AM  Show Profile
Yep we have a gal that milks a cow and another that could teach us to make cheese. This is going to be fun!
Go to Top of Page

proseharley
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

ROSE
dover ohio
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2013 :  10:01:53 AM  Show Profile
spinning,making candles, cheese, gardening, hand sewing,embroidery, candle wicking,

Rose #5393
Go to Top of Page
  Gathered Up: Previous Topic Opportunity to help community develop Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page